ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #121
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
T,
I dont think I implied they were great, just that BMW is not the only factory to use that brand. KTM does as well. Its not a BMW only thing was my point. Those rims are not news to me. I rode them for 15k miles on my 950.Most offroad btw.
I know DP. I did not take your comments for anything other than what you say above. I just wanted to give readers a broader view on the rim issue, and not to conclude that they are just fine for hammering the trails. If you ride street, the Behr's should be OK. They are a reputable supplier. Also, as Law Dawg points out, the rims that are on the bike are specified by BMW.
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #122
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,387
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #123
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer
 
Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Therein lies another major beef I have with BMW. There is no front axle recall.
Here in I'll sue ya land this is just plain stupid. How easy a lawsuit it would be to prove a clients front axle failure was a condition known by BMW. Freakin' stupid reckless behavior by BMW not to do a recall.

Had you got the double whammy of rear bearing failure and broken front axle, we might be either sad for your passing or praying you could still use your legs after. You could own BMW...what the heck are they thinking? Nevermind, it's the euros.
__________________
Firefly; the way it will actually be...rednecks in space, dealing with the mess made by urban progressives while being hounded by them and all without any goofy alien stuff. Shiney!
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #124
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Therein lies another major beef I have with BMW. There is no front axle recall. It is a service bulletin. No one will ever get a recall notice. The axle will be replaced by the dealer during a scheduled service. Well...not everyone brings their bike to the dealer for service. I did not know that my front axle was on the list to be replaced until I had this bearing failure. Then the service manager told me (after I gave him my vin#) that "oh, btw we need to repalce your front axle". I believe this is a major issue with how BMW does business. Owners should be notified directly if there is a need or recommendation to replace a part. The bearings may go the same way - don't know.
There are two things that are weird about BMW Motorrad's policy (in addition to what Law Dawg pointed out):

1. On the car side, BMW does do recalls. I've recevied a few notices on my cars. That said, there's also an instransigence on that side to major things, i.e. e46 M3 crank bearing failures and Z3 subframe issues come to mind....

2. BMW Motorrad didn't do a recall, per se, but did send those dumb-ass stickers for the 1200GS handguards. WTF, Over??!
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #125
cisco
old fat guy
 
cisco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: The city of seven wounders
Oddometer: 277
disc side

I wounder if the brake side failure is from the heat generated buy the disc?
P.S. bearings are cheep, failures are not. New bearings for me.
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #126
kkug
Studly Adventurer
 
kkug's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Escondido Ca .USA
Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Last week when I changed my rear tire, I thought a bearing felt a little 'notchy'. I blew it off as I have felt that effect before from the spacer between the bearings when there is no tension holding them together (if that makes any sense)...
Anyhew. After reading this thread I figured I'd better have a closer look and I'm damn glad I did. Rotor side bearing actually was on it's way out. Still would rotate, but not freely. Swapped the 2 in the hub out and left the cush drive alone as it felt great. I re-used the seal as it came out cleanly (I have plenty of experience here) and I couldn't get one locally on demand.
So if you have your tire off, better check that bearing.

Just under 12,000 kms if anyone is wondering. And no, nothing was done that would have shortened it's life. It had a small amount of grease when I popped the side off, maybe a third of what I'd repack one with...

And thanks Tmex for starting a thread about it, because without it I never would have gone back to double check it and would have found out it was toasted the hard way.
This is exactly my experience--carbon copy
__________________
________________________________

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #127
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
I wounder if the brake side failure is from the heat generated buy the disc?
P.S. bearings are cheep, failures are not. New bearings for me.
Possibly Cisco - not an unreasonable assumption. However, I rarely use my rear brake except to square off a turn. I cannot believe my rear rotor even gets too hot to touch. I would be more inclined to think that it is a wheel "dish" issue - the assymetry of all rear wheels to accomodate the sprocket and rotor clearances, or a torque issue related to the rear rotor geometry. I am not at my ranch right now where the bike is parked, but I will look closely at the "dish" when I return. Maybe the "dish" is essentially zero on a motorcycle, but on a bicycle rear wheel it is huge. If it is related to the rear wheel "dish" or geometry then I would be inclined to think that posers who spend most of their time on the street would be seeing this issue as well.
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #128
cisco
old fat guy
 
cisco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: The city of seven wounders
Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Possibly Cisco - not an unreasonable assumption. However, I rarely use my rear brake except to square off a turn. I cannot believe my rear rotor even gets too hot to touch. I would be more inclined to think that it is a wheel "dish" issue - the assymetry of all rear wheels to accomodate the sprocket and rotor clearances, or a torque issue related to the rear rotor geometry. I am not at my ranch right now where the bike is parked, but I will look closely at the "dish" when I return. Maybe the "dish" is essentially zero on a motorcycle, but on a bicycle rear wheel it is huge. If it is related to the rear wheel "dish" or geometry then I would be inclined to think that posers who spend most of their time on the street would be seeing this issue as well.
So is this mostly an off road issue?
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #129
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Possibly Cisco - not an unreasonable assumption. However, I rarely use my rear brake except to square off a turn. I cannot believe my rear rotor even gets too hot to touch. I would be more inclined to think that it is a wheel "dish" issue - the assymetry of all rear wheels to accomodate the sprocket and rotor clearances, or a torque issue related to the rear rotor geometry. I am not at my ranch right now where the bike is parked, but I will look closely at the "dish" when I return. Maybe the "dish" is essentially zero on a motorcycle, but on a bicycle rear wheel it is huge. If it is related to the rear wheel "dish" or geometry then I would be inclined to think that posers who spend most of their time on the street would be seeing this issue as well.
I just looked at mine and the dish looks even. I think the disc on one side sets off for the chain on the other, unlike on a bike.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #130
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I just looked at mine and the dish looks even. I think the disc on one side sets off for the chain on the other, unlike on a bike.
Thx. I suspected that might be the case. Oh well...
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #131
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
So is this mostly an off road issue?
Cisco, I just do not know. I don't even have an opinion at this moment.
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #132
OldCrock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OldCrock's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Gippsland
Oddometer: 111
Can someone please post up a poll so we can get an idea of how many of us do actually use our F800GS bikes offroad.
I am guessing that most of the riders on ADV that have found the bearing problems do there own tyre changes, therefore post up with a problem.
I expect to see the poll heavily pointed towards offroad use when it comes to the bearing saga.
Thanks in advance, my applogies for not being litterate enough to post a poll myslef.
Cheers
OldCrock
OldCrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #133
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrock
I am guessing that most of the riders on ADV that have found the bearing problems do there own tyre changes, therefore post up with a problem.
I expect to see the poll heavily pointed towards offroad use when it comes to the bearing saga.
Unfortunately, the VAST majority of my 13k miles are on the street, and most of them on the freeway (I don't own a car...). I typically use my rear brake for 'normal' stopping and thought that heat might be a cause, but tmex said he very rarely uses his rear brake, so it sounds like the probability of baking the wheel bearing from rear brake use is low.

I *do* change my own tires however, and did so for the first time just after 10k. I think something associated with wheel installation is still probably the leading culprit.

Is there anyone with a toasted rear wheel bearing that has NEVER had their rear wheel off the bike?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #134
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,741
There are a few more reported on the other 800 boards. My money is on low spec bearings.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #135
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,387
I have had mine off many times (wheels). So far so good. But I am taking a pre emptive strike this week with some high quality rollers anyway. I aint getting stuck in the Allagash Wilderness because of a rear wheel bearing.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014