Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #1396
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,327
kudos for a dull knife,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by keswind View Post
Yeah. Thanks. Just so you know, I've never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer
well at least you are one of the smarter ones,,you ask questions,,til ya 'get it'

awesome,,

there's no such thing as a dumb question in my repertoire,,just the yoyos that don't sk and thus make dumb mistakes that coulda been avoided

kudos to ya,,and have a beer on me

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 01:33 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #1397
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Wow! This is the first thread that I come across on this forum when I log in to start asking questions...

My rear wheel bearing on a 2008 F650GS Twin disintegrated today... Bike has done 18,000 miles

Just after crossing into the border of MOLDOVA, 70 k's from the capital.

Doubt BMW are going to be much help to me here. We were extremely lucky to find some locals that put the bike in the back of the van and drove us 70k's to the capital, away from their home town, it's half past 11 at night and they are now driving back. I am now on here looking for a solution to my problem.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #1398
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

standing by in Saigon,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjackson View Post
Wow! This is the first thread that I come across on this forum when I log in to start asking questions...

My rear wheel bearing on a 2008 F650GS Twin disintegrated today... Bike has done 18,000 miles

Just after crossing into the border of MOLDOVA, 70 k's from the capital.

Doubt BMW are going to be much help to me here. We were extremely lucky to find some locals that put the bike in the back of the van and drove us 70k's to the capital, away from their home town, it's half past 11 at night and they are now driving back. I am now on here looking for a solution to my problem.
send pics and/or describe the actual damages,,,if my memory serves me correctly the rear hub on your bike is essentially a F800GS hub with smaller sprocket bolts ,,,ie 8mm vs 10 mm on F800 the rest is the same,,

just curious,,was it the disc side bearing that crapped out??

just curious
don't worry,,,you are not alone
standing by
woody in Saigon
PS,,you can point out this and other threads that it is a universal well documented problem,,,if they claim ignoranc

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 01:01 AM
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #1399
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheers mate!

Yeah, I just doubt they are going to have a BMW mechanic in Moldova, will call them today and ask.

It was the disc side... is that the more common side?

There has been some slight damage to the hub, but it seems to be mostly on the outside and I think I will still be able to get a shaft seal in there. I don't really want to fork out 600 or so Euro for a new real wheel, fingers crossed.

I have started separate thread as did not want to clog this one up with pictures.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810333

Any advice would be much appreciated.

jetjackson screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 01:50 AM
Old 07-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #1400
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,242
This thread needs to die!

As the Sherif of Nottingham would say, bla di bla bla bla ........

... which part you focus on is up to you.
Kaw4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #1401
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

ok here's all ya need to get going again,,,

Quote:
Cheers mate!

Yeah, I just doubt they are going to have a BMW mechanic in Moldova, will call them today and ask.

It was the disc side... is that the more common side?

There has been some slight damage to the hub, but it seems to be mostly on the outside and I think I will still be able to get a shaft seal in there. I don't really want to fork out 600 or so Euro for a new real wheel, fingers crossed.

I have started separate thread as did not want to clog this one up with pictures.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810333

Any advice would be much appreciated.
hello. from Saigon,,
a quick reply to KAw4Life,,,
1,,,this thread coul die in a heart-beat if BMW stepped up to the pump and handled this fiasco,,it doesn't help their image or develop trust when they on the one hand repair everything on warranty and the next three blokes get the what problem,,never heard of this,,,it's your fault treatment,,

2,,no one is forcing you to read this. you can un-subsribe from it or. ???

3,,, IMHO,,if you sre not part of the solution process,,you contribute nothing to solving our stuck inmates problem

OK,,back to helping our inmate in Moldova,,,

1,, go buy two 6204 2RS.( circa 47mm OD x20mmID x 13 or 14mm wide) bearings and an outer seal of the same size,,the size is written on the side it's probably a 47mm OD x circa 25 mmID x 7mm wide,,remove circlip and knock both bearings out

2,, insert circlip side bearing first,,

3,, replace circlip

4,,replace inner spacer and replace the second bearing

5,,replace the seal if ya found one don't sweat ,,,it just put some extra grease behind the old seal if. ya can't find a new one

6,, pop everything together again and enjoy your travels,,you should get at lest ss many more miles as ya did the last one,,

FYI,,,the 650 gs get's more miles before going bad because the 650 simply put's less strain on the bearings,,less horse-power,,less weight

FYI #2. like i suspected. .. disc side,,,2008 vintage,,,positive you have the one of the undersized bore hubs

FYI #3,,, go check the inmate list,,there's a wonderfull wacky guy from Moldova that i helped out big time when he limped into town,,,tell him woody sent ya and please take good care of you. he has a thread here on advrider plus awebsite chronocling his 2 journeys around the globe on his bmw R1200GS,,
his handle is Philosopf or Philosov or Filosov someting to that effect,,,I'll try to look him up for you,,I gaurantee you'll never forget him or his tales,,and his body bears witness to his stories,,not to mention the videos he took of himself stitching his his gashed cheek together with dental floss and a needle from his sewing kit,,the needle nose with the needle nose on his weatherman by candlelite,,it's on you tube too i think

ok gotta run

here's to success and a pleasant journey

woody
Old 07-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #1402
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheers Woody!

My only concern is that the inside of the wheel hub has been damaged beyond fixing and I might need to replace the wheel hub.

That is what is left of the inner sleeve... I think it should have a flange on the end, not sure if that has been ripped off.

Tried having a go at the circlip with a normal set of pliers but no luck. Not sure if that second groove should be there or if that has worn in damage to the hub.

More pictures here... http://i50.tinypic.com/34o94q8.jpg

Thanks heaps for your help! Get stuck into those Pho noodles and enjoy riding in the sea of motorbikes
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #1403
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

ok here'what to do next,,,

Quote:
Cheers Woody!

My only concern is that the inside of the wheel hub has been damaged beyond fixing and I might need to replace the wheel hub.

That is what is left of the inner sleeve... I think it should have a flange on the end, not sure if that has been ripped off.

Tried having a go at the circlip with a normal set of pliers but no luck. Not sure if that second groove should be there or if that has worn in damage to the hub.

More pictures here... http://i50.tinypic.com/34o94q8.jpg

Thanks heaps for your help! Get stuck into those Pho noodles and enjoy riding in the sea of motorbikes

ok pal,,,it looks ugly. and i think ya can save it ie at lest make it rideable,,,

so,,
1,, the circlip is history so you'll need to get one of them too

2,, ya have to give it your all to pry/knock out the circlip,,,

3,, now comes the tuff part,,,getting what's left of the outer race to come out,,
a,,heating that side of hub will expand the hub around the race,,you may need a.
bent screw driver or chisel to knock out from other end,

b,,,if someone has a welder ,ya can weld a big washer to the bearing race ,,that makes for easy knock out situation because the hub gets heated increasing the ID

c,,once,,, i only had brazing capability,,so i inserted the other bad bearing in next to the outer race and brazed the two together= another easy knock out outer race scenario,,ya gotta be creative in those 3rd world countries,,they have lot's of clever souls ask around and use the hints/suggestions i gave ya

4,,file of / smooth buggered end of inner spacer,,it is recyclable,,don't sweat od just flatten the bearing contact surface,,file/sandpaper works ok,,i've even used the concrete floor and flat stones to gitter done

5,,,once again try to clean circlip groove and make sure the bearing is bottomed out. use your old bearing to hammer in the new one,,try not to hit the center race,,,and tap bearing in a little at atime so ya don't cock it and fuck up the inner race,,,you could even use some sandpaper and remove a fe few .0015-.002" for added insurance,,psssst that falls in the advanced R&R options available

so i finally tracked down the Moldovian

he only posted one post on advrider,, under Filosof. ,,,the link he had to his blog/ web. page didn't pan out
however,,,
www.filosof.motojopa.ru. panned out,,,has a translate section from russian to english,,enjoy,

go to the photo gallery section,, in section #4. that's him in the lower right hand corner,,,one scar is from being attacked by 3 africans with machetes who regretted the encounter big time,,,the last of three did nick him and his helmet big time,,have pics of him in it after i fixed his wobbly wheels,,,someone somewhere in mexico tried to true em and made em 4x worse than before,,,he screwed em up big time,,they were close to 1/2 inch out of wack ,, found me on advrider,,set his gps to the numbers in my signature. ,and showed up one noon,,

Ghenadie Shatov,,,,nastarovia my dear kindred spirit,,hope to see ya again,,,,

OBTW #1,,,his wife is as stunning ss his photography
OBTW #2,,, you do not,,please read my lips ,,YOU DO NOT want to be on on the wrong side if he gets in a bar brawl,,,(scar 2 was from an adventure gone haywire wile traversing Ozzie land....

good luck

in the meantime,,i'll slam down a ba muoi ba/33 beer for ya,,,and ya,,i'm giving these guys a run for their$$$,,,,i just scream beeep beep and every other curse word at the fuckers running around without lights,,,making u turns in the middle of my lane,,it's the biggest friggin free for all i've ever experienced,,having balls of steel don't hurt either,,,hope i don't speak too soon and knock on wood,,,,tomorrow,i'll get one of their ear cleaning specials,,now there's a treat,,,haven't had fresh monkey brains yet,,but yesterday my hosts surprised me,,told em i love duck,,they asked for duck eggs too,,sure why not,,well fuck me silly i crack open my egg and a frigging duck embryo and its bloody placenta got tossed into the boiling pfo pot...took me along time looking at that lil thing looking back at me,,,so for the honor of the US Marine Corps and all my fellow inmates,,grabbed that lil sucker and chewed him up real good,,i gave him thanks for nourishing me a little and washed him down with a few heinikens,,,!!!

PS,,tastes like chicken!!!

holler,,
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 03:16 AM
Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #1404
Stealth Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
File an official complaint against BMW with the NHTSA

Why hasn't' everyone in the US with this issue filled an official complaint against BMW with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)?

Only the real threat of legal, and in the case of the NHTSA, governmental action against BMW, will likely get anything done about this, and may make them think twice about turning a blind eye to issues like this and to their customers in the future.

This is a very real safety hazard, and one that has real life threatening implications, with loss of life being a real possibility.

Please do yourself and your fellow riders a huge favor and get the ball rolling on this.

When you do file your complaint, be very specific, and be very clear as to the very real life threatening implications associated with this safety issue, that thus far BMW is failing to acknowledge or correct, even after several years of continued defect, and as far as we know this life threatening safety defect is continuing on in current production.

Here is a direct link to the page for filling your complaint:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Stealth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #1405
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Because not everyone has the problem?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #1406
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Rider View Post
Why hasn't' everyone in the US with this issue filled an official complaint
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
key text.

I did take the time to fill out report on failure, doesn't take but a minute to be on record.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #1407
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Just to fill in on what happened. I put up here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810333 on this thread the other day.

Managed to get the bearing out after much work, put in the new NSK bearings and the mechanic I went to at 'BMW' Moldova (the BMW dealership that BMW doesn't know about) fixed the circlip by hammering it back into shape so we didn't have to wait days for a new one.

1500k's later and I am having no problems with it.

Big thanks to everyone who gave me advice, especially to Woody, who will get a heroes mention in the video blog that will get put together in a few months once I am back home and things have settled down.

Today though, we got a puncture on the highway in Poland and I have not been able to find a puncture kit since we left Albania so tough luck on fixing it myself. Luckily BMW roadside assistance paid for us to get towed into Warsaw. Tomorrow we will get it fixed and I will hunt down a puncture kit.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #1408
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Well, after 20k ish trouble free miles on my F8, a couple days after the Klim rally, my rear wheel bearings decided to take a dump.

It just started like sounding like a rock stuck in my tire... Got louder and louder after a few days of riding around town. Was leving on a trip for the weekend and gave the bike a good once over, and noticed a gap all of the way around my left side rear wheel seal. Pulled the wheel, and the inner part of the bearing had wayyyy more movement than it needed. Bearing never came apart, but was well on its way.

Called my dealer, the said it MIGHT be covered, but I needed to order the bearings and my dealer is 500 miles away, and they needed to see the whole bike. A long trip for a MIGHT. So I sent it down to Woody instead.

Bike has been sitting for 19 days now. Its terrible. That is the longest it has ever sat....

Ryan
Old 08-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #1409
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Speaking of which, what are most of you doing for any type of regular maintenance on your wheel bearings? Do they need greased? If the axle is not greased well, does that lead to failure? Could I have done anything to cause this, or is it really just a BMW hub spec problem....

Ryan
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #1410
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Lucky you caught it when you did, mine sounded like a ticking and went from a slight tick to crunching in about 2 k's, grinding out the inside of the hub while it went...

You didn't get any hub damage by the sounds of it?

I understand that Woody checked and the bearing seat is fractionally oversized and so puts too much pressure on the bearing.