Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #1411
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
I haven't heard from him yet, and I didn't get the wheel sent out until last Thursday. I don't think it hurt the hub, but I'm not sure, I didn't ter anything apart

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #1412
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Just heard back from Woodys. Hub bores are in spec, wheel needs a little bit of truing. And according to them, 20k miles is a normal amount to get out of wheel bearings. Especially when riding in rain/water crossings/ sand dust offroad etc.

I was under the impression that they should last a lot longer than that.

Thoughts?

Ryan
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #1413
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Just heard back from Woodys. Hub bores are in spec, wheel needs a little bit of truing. And according to them, 20k miles is a normal amount to get out of wheel bearings. Especially when riding in rain/water crossings/ sand dust offroad etc.

Thoughts?

Ryan
I think this is the same Woody who called my post "presumptious" when I reported mine went bad at 38,000 km, and were checked and replaced under warranty at a dealer I trust, who assured me that it wasn't a bore issue. I reckon he must have the Second Sight to be able to tell what was wrong with mine, since we're in different countries and 2,500 km apart.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #1414
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Have to stop reading this tread as it makes me feel like I am riding a landmine. Especially when travelling at high speeds.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #1415
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Bearing wear

Mine don't last that long and they have been checked and the bores are good. Last time I changed the rears about a month ago there was water in the rear hub even though it had been weeks since I had done any deep crossings. Pretty wet and rusty, one bearing couldn't be turned by hand. Changing front and rears (5 bearings) takes less than an hour with a bearing puller. Buy the 6204s in bulk at a bearing supply shop and add it to your yearly maintenance routine like the guys who ride little dirt bikes! Woody knows his stuff and a bearing on a bike that hasn't seen deep water and mud could last almost forever if it was built right. Other bikes of mine that see only street have gone over 100,000kms with no issues. The wheels Woody built for me are holding up great but the Woody's cap is getting a little threadbare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post

Thoughts?

Ryan
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #1416
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider View Post
Have to stop reading this tread as it makes me feel like I am riding a landmine. Especially when travelling at high speeds.
I wouldn't sweat it too much, you will get notice before your bearing shits itself... feel for a ticking in the back wheel. Clutch coast on smooth tarmac and you will be able to feel it if it is there. You will have a good 20k warning at least I think, unless you don't listen to your lady, but you should feel the vibrations anyway.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #1417
earthroamerxvlt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Another one to add to the list! I was changing out tires on my wife’s 2010 800 GS and discovered that the rear bearings were feeling very notchy when turned by hand. I ordered new bearings and seals after being told they were wear items and not covered by BMW's warranty. When I went to pull the bearings the one on the circlip side would not budge, even using a slide hammer type bearing puller and heat. I was finally able to get the disk side bearing out with the slide hammer and heat. With access to the inside of the hub the circlip side bearing could now be driven out with a large rod and hammer. As soon as I got one bearing out both bearings started turning almost like new bearings. This made us suspect too much side load was killing the bearings so we measured the wheel from bearing seat to bearing seat and then the length of the spacer. The length of the spacer was .043 over which was putting way too much side load on the bearings. After machining the spacer down to zero clearance everything was tourqued back together as normal and should hopefully be good to go for a long time. I don't know if this is a common cause for the bearing failures on 800s, but it was on my wife’s bike and might be worth checking for anyone having issues.

John
earthroamerxvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #1418
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,307
stop.HALT you just made matters wors!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamerxvlt View Post
Another one to add to the list! I was changing out tires on my wife’s 2010 800 GS and discovered that the rear bearings were feeling very notchy when turned by hand. I ordered new bearings and seals after being told they were wear items and not covered by BMW's warranty. When I went to pull the bearings the one on the circlip side would not budge, even using a slide hammer type bearing puller and heat. I was finally able to get the disk side bearing out with the slide hammer and heat. With access to the inside of the hub the circlip side bearing could now be driven out with a large rod and hammer. As soon as I got one bearing out both bearings started turning almost like new bearings. This made us suspect too much side load was killing the bearings so we measured the wheel from bearing seat to bearing seat and then the length of the spacer. The length of the spacer was .043 over which was putting way too much side load on the bearings. After machining the spacer down to zero clearance everything was tourqued back together as normal and should hopefully be good to go for a long time. I don't know if this is a common cause for the bearing failures on 800s, but it was on my wife’s bike and might be worth checking for anyone having issues.

John
John,,,stop,,do not ride your bike!!!
the inner spacer must minimally be .010-020'' longer than the bearing seating surface in hub,,,this is a precaution to not have undue pressure between inner and oute bearing surfaces ,by cutting the spacer to .000
you give your bearings no wiggle room to self center,,,
all this has been explained numerous times by me in earlier posts by me,,
your problem ,most likely is the usual bad bearing bores that were under bored .0025 on disce side and .015 on spkt side,,they need to be measured and emachined/honed out to.0015'' clearance/bearing crush...
Rx =
1,, make or buy new spacer that is proper length
2,, get 2 new 6204 bearings,repack with waterproof boat trailer grease...most bearings are under lubricated and sport non-waterproof grease,,
3,,measure,bearing bore ,repair accordingly
4,,before ya do that,,,i'd take your bike to BMW and insist on assistance,,,THEY DO KNOW about this,,,copy this post/thread..make sure you have copies of paper-work..other inmates have gotten complete new wheel assemblies or more current hubs...
5,,you are not alone ,,there must be over a hundred inmates with your dilemna,,i myself have repaired close to 50 hubs,with zero comebacks and reports from riders who have put 50-80,000 mies on the wheels/bearings and still spinning smooth. 'tis do-able
woody

....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #1419
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

give me an address,,cap will follow,was it under warranty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Mine don't last that long and they have been checked and the bores are good. Last time I changed the rears about a month ago there was water in the rear hub even though it had been weeks since I had done any deep crossings. Pretty wet and rusty, one bearing couldn't be turned by hand. Changing front and rears (5 bearings) takes less than an hour with a bearing puller. Buy the 6204s in bulk at a bearing supply shop and add it to your yearly maintenance routine like the guys who ride little dirt bikes! Woody knows his stuff and a bearing on a bike that hasn't seen deep water and mud could last almost forever if it was built right. Other bikes of mine that see only street have gone over 100,000kms with no issues. The wheels Woody built for me are holding up great but the Woody's cap is getting a little threadbare!
just returned from 3.5 months of traveling around the world,,
what abummer about that cap,,,was it within the 2 year warranty period???

no matter,,it just roils my innards to know someone out there is looking shabbier than the wheels i built

ya wanted fitted or adjustable??

address please,,anything else,pens,decals,business cards
woody
Old 08-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #1420
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
i'd take your bike to BMW and insist on assistance,,,THEY DO KNOW about this
What Woody said.

Your BMW representative is either uniformed or lazy.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #1421
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,338
A Canadian Perspective and Prices

There's over 1400 replies here and I've read half but didn't see much from Canada so I'll quickly add my two cents....

Bike: 800 GS with a build date of 03/09, 34k kms

Scenario: Changing tires for an upcoming LD ride to the Maritimes

Having read this thread for hours and becoming paranoid, my rear bearings definately felt notchy. They are "LFD" which is a German Manufacturer. Being an anal Aircraft Mech, I knew I'd lose sleep if I didn't address it. I got the specs and numbers from this thread and off I went searching. Where do Canadians go for Bearings? Canadian Bearings of course!

I expected a big hassle for some reason. I asked for "6204" bearings. She said "Cheap offshore or the best?" then handed me two SKF 6204-2RSH/C3 "Explorer" bearings as "the best you can get" (made in Bulgaria). These were just over $10 ea but I bought 5 (2 fr wheel, 3 rear) so she knocked 10% off. They only had the single lip seals in stock but have overnight delivery if I wanted. They were under $5 ea. Apparently all the ATV/Dirt Bike guys come in there and the 6204 is a popular bearing. The offshore bearings were less than half price at $3-$4 ea Retail. Walk in, walk out....wow. BMW wanted something like $25 ea.(and had to order), A&S BMW website in the States wants $17 US ea. So for $20 Can. total, I can ride and sleep in peace now.

I'm sure the procedure is posted here and I changed them with hand tools being experienced in such things. I couldn't accurately measure the interference fit with my garage tools but the old brgs were "tapped" out, not hammered and felt right. Froze the new bearings then took a hair drier to the hub. Settled on 100 F instead of C and the new bearings fell into position and a light tap made the "home" sound. All relevant precautions were taken. Some guards were removed for demonstration purposes only. Only one prybar was labelled "not a prybar or chisel".

Observations:

1) old bearings felt bad but looked fine with lots of grease still in place, no rust
2) Disc side bearing grease was black in places like maybe brake dust got in.
3) old bearings felt great once removed, new bearings felt smooth after installation- hub honing not required
4) probably wasn't necessary but hey, why not!

Like someone said: Bearings are cheap, failures are not.

Reaver screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 11:31 AM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #1422
Grinzold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Eh? Another one fell apart

Well this sucks! Add me to the list...

The bike has just passed 29,000 miles but it is out of warranty.

I was doing ~65 MPh when I noticed a strange wobble. As I was pulling over, the ABS light came on.

The hub is damaged and I'm now trying to figure out how to repair it. I'm guessing that I will need a new hub.

Even the sprocket bearing was messed up:

The brake caliper bracket was scratched by the rotor but I hope that the rotor does not need to be replaced yet. The scratches in the rotor are not very deep, but the bracket probably needs to be replaced too.

Here's another one of the rotor-side hub:

The worst part is that I had just cleaned and lubed the chain the day before and didn't notice anything. I even tried wiggling the wheels and everything seemed the same as always; I thought I was one of the few lucky ones that didn't have this problem.

Grinzold

Grinzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #1423
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

panic not ,,your hub is repairable.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinzold View Post

The bike has just passed 29,000 miles but it is out of warranty.

I was doing ~65 MPh when I noticed a strange wobble. As I was pulling over, the ABS light came on.

The hub is damaged and I'm now trying to figure out how to repair it. I'm guessing that I will need a new hub.

Even the sprocket bearing was messed up:

The brake caliper bracket was scratched by the rotor but I hope that the rotor does not need to be replaced yet. The scratches in the rotor are not very deep, but the bracket probably needs to be replaced too.

Here's another one of the rotor-side hub:

The worst part is that I had just cleaned and lubed the chain the day before and didn't notice anything. I even tried wiggling the wheels and everything seemed the same as always; I thought I was one of the few lucky ones that didn't have this problem.

Grinzold

well consider your self very lucky ,,cuz you are here to talk about it,,,,and there's someone who KNOWS how to repair it

yup,,,the only thing you didn't do was the stick your finger in the bearing test,,,,your wheel will only wobble back n forth shortly before the bearings let go....if you'd have done the finger check like our Canuk buddy 'Reaver' in the previous post,,,you'd have caught it....

i always advise ''when in doubt,,check it out'' pre-emptive /pre-ventive maintenance on the F800 rear bearing set up is IMHO mandatory..especially if you haven't ascertained for sure that your bores are within specs..simple as that ...

ya want 'peace of mind'',,you'll get it only after you know for sure the bore is accurate...and the bearings are well lubed....Reaver will have some peace of mind ,,,i only say that,,because properly set up,,those bearings should get 60,000 miles easy,,,in his case if he installed the one sided ones,,he's shortening the maximum life available by going with a single sealed set...i say double sealed bearings with proper grease = double the life... the good news is i can tell he's savvy and will keep on checking,,

regarding your incident ,,i looked your pics over care-full-y...and outside of some aesthetic damage,,all your stuff can be made better than new...by any qualified person....with the proper tools and skills.

woody
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #1424
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinzold View Post

The bike has just passed 29,000 miles but it is out of warranty
At 29,000 miles it might just be that your bearings went bad without it being a defective hub. Used the bike offroad much? Any water crossings? Ride in the rain much? Last time you swapped tires, did you check the bearings by hand?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #1425
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
29000kms

None of my bearings last 29,000miles. Mine have been checked for correct bore and are fine but too much dirt and water means I'm on new front and rears again at 10, 000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
At 29,000 miles it might just be that your bearings went bad without it being a defective hub. Used the bike offroad much? Any water crossings? Ride in the rain much? Last time you swapped tires, did you check the bearings by hand?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote