ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.12%
Nasty? 30 13.57%
Nasty but nice? 162 73.30%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #136
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,920
Cool2 Faaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrkkkkkkkk Oooooooorrrrrrrffffffffffff

Now let's stamp out this insubordination right from the start. Granted, my use of asterisks may sometimes resemble the frantic footprints of an overladen bee that recently stood in ink, but I've taken the time to go back & check correct attribution & usage* and, lets just say that I'm not the one that had to edit their post to insert the 'fag' explanation

Here are some spare sets of asterisks: * ** *** **** ***** ******
Here are some spare blanks:

Please print these out and glue them to your screens each time you read my posts, to correct any unfortunate mistakes on my part...

* Not because it matters, but because I listen to the concerns of my customers

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 04:45 PM Reason: To add the word overladen :-D
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #137
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
If only I had one just the same here now, it's the exact ready-made piece I need for my particular installation
Now here's a funny thing. I contacted Motorworks for to arrange the provision of ye Boyer rotor & stator, and having managed to get thru to ye chatty High Priest of Specials I did proceed to be told that**, there on the shelf was a second hand points bean can with the advance mechanism already pulled, and an appropriate Boyer rotor & stator installed, all for less than the rot/stat would cost new. Is there an emoticon for WIN?

This means that I don't have to tear apart the b/can PJ handed over, and it can stay intact & come back to you dear fellow-me-chappy. Having had a closer look at it I have, however, worked out why the plug on the lead has round contact pins rather than the usual flat. It's a 79-80 points can fitted with what seems to be a piranha optical sensor to trigger the piranha control box that you also have. The advance system seems to still be in place.

The conversation with Motorworks took quite some time, as we wandered around the subject of airheads, but we ended on a very interesting subject, which was putting an oilhead engine into an airhead chassis, g/box & transmission. Hmmmmm...

PIP PI!?!

* There is no single asterisk reference in the text, please stick a line of blank spaces over this line.
** I will now stop ye semi biblical language as I can no longer be fuckethed.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #138
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Puke

RE: STD1

And so it begins. Acres of fairing to be repaired & tarted up*. If I could get this whole 'Insert pic' rather than attach 1 file malarky going I'd show you a few of the horrendous bits to be sorted. After all that's done the final issue is about paint. What to do, what to do...

There's about 80k miles of wear, stonechips, bad repairs & droppage. And after it's patched there'll be little or no chance of matching those areas into the overall finish. But to get any kind of quality outcome means rubbing the whole thing down & recovering the whole thing... Mind you, as it stands it matches the frame

** You'll need to stick a blank space over these I'm afraid.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #139
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12
Below is a pic of the 'finished' frame...
I do so like what you've done with that decking there. Did you have a man in?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #140
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Cheeky!

Quote:
I do so like what you've done with that decking there. Did you have a man in?
Well, to be honest, the ex-wife had a man in to do her decking. He followed her all the way back from New Zealand to do the decking. When I told her what he really wanted to do, she acted all shocked and surprised, the way ex-wives do, and I was able to take the pleasure of transmitting the 'fuck off vibe' to him in a satisfactory manner. Then I did the decking. Yeah, I know.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the decking. That pic above, of the fairing, looks really good. Do the rest by tomorrow and we'll say no more about it.

Re the oilhead engine + trans in an airhead frame, well....I did a bit of research and guess what? It seems that the oilhead blocks (850's and 1100's) are the same, as are the con-rods and camshafts, thereby offering up the possibility of forking around with jug-swaps etc. I just thought you should know...........
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #141
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Indeed. Quite.
I Say!?! Whatto!?!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #142
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
When I told her what he really wanted to do, she acted all shocked and surprised

Quote:
Re the oilhead engine + trans in an airhead frame
He was talking about mating an oil engine to the a/head trans. We talked about the similarity in the clutches, their inline-ness, g/box to engine mating plates, engine mounting plates, and no bottom hoops/added top trellis type frame mods to take advantage of the top front mount? His general position was that rather than modding the bollocks out of an airhead chasing power, one could just stick in an already beefy oil engine. It bears thinking about during the inevitable 'what the fuck am I going to do now' moment I will no doubt have 10 minutes after we've finished the current 'projects'.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #143
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Just as a matter of interest.

Can you clarify your sleeping pattern for us.?

This should also help in reading some of your posts in the correct context.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #144
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
Just as a matter of interest.

Can you clarify your sleeping pattern for us.?

This should also help in reading some of your posts in the correct context.
He doesn't sleep.

Hence the interesting posts
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 AM   #145
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Is there a 6.00 in the morning too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
Just as a matter of interest. Can you clarify your sleeping pattern for us.? This should also help in reading some of your posts in the correct context.
The correct context is me, in a shed, in the middle of the night trying to hammer quietly

I could give you a sleep diary if it helps? Mainly I'm built night/day not day/night, but having 'worked' in the 'entertainment'* 'industry 30 odd years you end up the 'wrong' way round** because you're working in other peoples leisure time.

For what it's worth I've always been an insomniac, but I've worked out it's because I live in the wrong timezone. Here I'm always up late & down late, whereas whenever I'm in Barbados I'm lined up with what is generally considered day/night pattern. My doctor obviously needs to prescribe me a beachfront chattel house in Cattlewash, on the east coast , away from people who dislike late night/early morning hammerage.

Once on a 'copter flight up along Little Scotland as they call that part of the island, I spied an abandoned holiday complex. 50m pool, chalet blocks etc. Waaaaaay overgrown and ripe for conversion to 'Palace with associated workshops & dirt track'. Unfortunately I couldn't find any reference in Bajan law to squaters rights...

Right now I'm sitting here having breakfast @ lunchtime, waiting for the last parts to arrive before starting the DMW engine build. Engine is in frame but shifted forward, I need to get the clutch in & squeeze in the gearbox, shift the engine/gearbox back & mount it***, bolt up the UJ, get the pistons/barrels back on, heads & rockers, rebuild the carbs with new needles & bigger jets****, get them on etc. If I'm lucky the Boyer modded b/can will arrive at the same time & I could be ready to press the start button somewhere around 3.17am local time. Then I will wait... & wait, and be 'considerate' and wait some more etc.... 8.30am isn't an unreasonable time to fire up a straight thru exhaust boxer is it?

* Untertainment
** Or most likely were already & thus fell into that work?
*** Ooh Matron!?!
**** 175 or 180 on 40mm Bings with a K&N & short pipes. Although the plug colour had always been what I consider good, I'm guessing it was running lean & hot? Contributory to the big end failure When it went the oil temp was something toward 160 - 180?

When I say contributory, it's clear the remaining % was contributed by me myself I.

The summer shed...
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #146
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Dear oh dear...oh dear.

Quote:
I Say!?! Whatto!?!
I think you'll find that the expression is "What ho!" Not to be confused with the phrase commonly used by gentlemen (hiding a small group of prostitutes) who exclaim with surprise that very same phonetic utterance when questioned on the matter by an inquisitive police officer.....yeah, and I just noted the cheeky aside regarding the frame paint being crap like the fairing! You can go too far, you know! (sniff) Anyway, the sun's shining (just like the gorgeous finish on the frame) and I'm just about to do the bevel seal.....
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #147
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Who are the word police?

Quote:
I think you'll find that the expression is "What ho!" Not to be confused with the phrase commonly used by gentlemen (hiding a small group of prostitutes) who exclaim with surprise that very same phonetic utterance when questioned on the matter by an inquisitive police officer.....yeah, and I just noted the cheeky aside regarding the frame paint being crap like the fairing! You can go too far, you know! (sniff) Anyway, the sun's shining (just like the gorgeous finish on the frame) and I'm just about to do the bevel seal.....
You don't originate fro' roun' these 'ere paaaarts, so you may not have been initiated into the more obscure mysteries of local lingo, my duck! The phrase 'Whatto' has a fine & complex nuance which cannot be directly translated into the Bradfordshire tongue, but it roughly translates as 'I confirm my utter outrage that a third party has questioned my use of asterisks', and is therefore wholly appropriate within the setting.

Regarding the frame, no insult was intended, I was simply pointing out my deep respect for your uncanny & expert ability to match the frame paint to an 80,000 mile old fairing, thus producing a holistic cosmetic unificationism of surface treatmentage
Old 09-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #148
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Laugh

This is the abandoned Bajan camp I mentioned. I never found out for sure what it used to be, who owned it or why it was derelict, but anyway, do please feel free to buy it for my birthday...
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #149
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 445
I'll put 20p in the kitty towards the abandoned Bajan camp
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #150
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Eh? Hang on...

RE:DMW

Ok, so a type 1 gearbox, clutch actuation mechanism & clutch pushrod does work with a light flywheel clutch right?*

Tell me it does, because after the installation adjustments the clutch lever is so light it's either brilliantly perfect or not working properly I can't be sure until I can turn the engine from the back wheel, and disengage the clutch, and I can't do that until the 'jugs' (as they're so delightfully referred to here) are tightened down, and I can't do that until I get some more sealant. I had a tube a day or two ago, and put it aside for this stage of the engine build, and now... I think I am perhaps old enough now to use the phrase 't'was ever thus'.

Some miles from here a man is frantically trying to log onto ADV with little or no success. Poor sod

Edit: * No.
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 05:39 AM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote