ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.68%
Nasty? 28 13.21%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.11%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #1606
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
hey planktonnn hows that k100 coming along
Ah, well, not really touched the old thing for a while, it's a 75, and I'm sort of hanging out to land a newer motor* to jack into the frame, which will work out cheaper than new rings & relevant gaskets, as long as one comes along, which it will sooner or later. The only 75 engine on ebay at the moment is 50, with 100 carriage, as it's in a breakers yard in Spain... I'd quite fancy ratting up a k100, but I sort of preferred the 75's slight edge in flickability, and when thinking about what I first enjoyed bout riding I decided it was revving the shit out of mopeds, and felt the MeMW 75 was more revvvvable than the 100.

Most of what time I have 'spare' is being spent on the DMW rat 1k boxer, which is mechanically sound, but needs a few melted wiring bits sorted as soon as it stops being dull & drizzly down here. Out of the K rat & the R rat, the latter is closest to being ready for the road, and I'm really missing it. So, If the waeaher is friendly I've got a week of wiring to play with, then it's tax MOT & insurance & I'll be back terrorising the locals/wildlife/polis

Once that's all sorted I may consider a jaunt down to south east France to visit a friend who lives in the middle of the castle below.

* Current one is @ 130k miles + and could do with a bit of a refresh.
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 03-12-2011 at 04:24 AM Reason: just spelling n stuff, I was up all night...
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #1607
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
Its really fucking cool.
For sure, I'm very jealous My favourite 'current era' Guzzi is the MGS01 which just goes to show how much I always want things that are totally beyond my means. And just to be entirely clear, if someone sends me a model MGS01 I will not be finding that funny. PJ and I did catch one in the flesh @ the Ally Pally bike show some years back, and I couldn't get over it for weeks, just lovely. Ridiculously impractical & costly, but utterly lovely.

As an aside I once lived down the hill from the palace, which is on top of quite a rise (in London terms), and when it snowed sufficiently I'd get a travelcard & have the bus to tow me up the hill on my skis, and then scoot back down thru the park, and rpt all day long. Ah, what fun.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #1608
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Ah, well, not really touched the old thing for a while, it's a 75, and I'm sort of hanging out to land a newer motor* to jack into the frame, which will work out cheaper than new rings & relevant gaskets, as long as one comes along, which it will sooner or later. The only 75 engine on ebay at the moment is 50, with 100 carriage, as it's in a breakers yard in Spain... I'd quite fancy ratting up a k100, but I sort of preferred the 75's slight edge in flickability, and when thinking about what I first enjoyed bout riding I decided it was revving the shit out of mopeds, and felt the MeMW 75 was more revvvvable than the 100.

Most of what time I have 'spare' is being spent on the DMW rat 1k boxer, which is mechanically sound, but needs a few melted wiring bits sorted as soon as it stops being dull & drizzly down here. Out of the K rat & the R rat, the latter is closest to being ready for the road, and I'm really missing it. So, If the waeaher is friendly I've got a week of wiring to play with, then it's tax MOT & insurance & I'll be back terrorising the locals/wildlife/polis

Once that's all sorted I may consider a jaunt down to south east France to visit a friend who lives in the middle of the castle below.

* Current one is @ 130k miles + and could do with a bit of a refresh.
better see if i can download a photo of my k100 then the old girls just met the big hammer grinder and mig tho i ran out of gas for the mig this morning cant get another bottle till monday picked up a k100 and a k1100 last summer for 500, bikes getting built with the k100 running gear and the k1100 engine trying to cut off as much crap as a can

jings screwed with this post 03-12-2011 at 02:15 PM Reason: didny like that red face thing now a canny get rid of it
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #1609
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
What do you see? -
Nessie.

I know, I know. "You there in the back, do try to keep up."

Took a bit to get through this fucking tome of a thread. Worth it, every laugh. Now back on topic. What was that topic now.......
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #1610
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
better see if i can download a photo of my k100 ... trying to cut off as much crap as I can
Oh yes, pics would be good. Here @ Martha Farquars Motorsickles heartily support cutting bits off etc., we're firmly of the 'opinion' that underneath all the shit most bikes reveal an innate beauty. Or at least an ugliness we can enjoy.

Which driveshaft/swingarm/rear suspension configs have you got on those there K's? I always fancied a paralever transplanted onto the k75 MeMW, or onto the 1K airhead DMW, though I guess I'd need to swap to a mono frame to accomodate.

Sounds good what you're doing tho

I've got some very rude things I'd like to do to an oilhead once they drop into the bargain market -
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #1611
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

the madness started with a non running c reg k100 in bits and a p reg k1100 that had seen better days no fairing dodgey abs etc didnt like the three spoke wheels one the 1100 so ive used all the running gear of the k100 wheels swinging arm frame forks gear box and used the wiring harness engine and tank from the 1100 and hacked of eveything else i didnt want cut the frame behind the shock mount and welded in a shorter tail section going to make a single seat rack behind seat pannier rails for the hepco and becker boxes small head light and possibly a acewell speedo gotta get rid of that original speedo main use is for winter rallies not to bothered about paint just going to have bare aluminium
Old 03-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #1612
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb Come one come all, but not in the eyes pls.

Quote:
the madness started with... bare aluminium
That, dear jings, sounds like a perfect plan

PICS!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRider69 View Post
"You there in the back, do try to keep up." Took a bit to get through this fucking tome of a thread. Worth it, every laugh. Now back on topic. What was that topic now.......
I think we felt it was better to keep all this shit in one place rather than pollute the rest of the marvelous ADVr by scattering bizzare & incongruous mini threads willy-nilly hither & thither. It seemed the most responsible & humane thing to do, and aims to be a little like trying to vomit in the bucket & not on the leather couch you know?

I do so hope you have actually worked your way thru rather than just shortcutting to the end, looking tired & saying you'd run the whole course? In an alternate multiverse this here scared (sorry, sacred) text is a 'Bibble of the Ride-iculous', possibly. There will be of course (as in all psuedo 'comical' settings) be a detailed test at the end you know, if such a thing as an end ever came, which I doubt it will, tho it might, but probably not. Or might.

So it seems the topic is now - shall we just nuke this whole thing & act as though it never happened Let's* ask Konnie Huq-Brooker. If you have a touchscreen, place your finger on the left or right buttons depending on your preference**

* In a totally not sexist kind of way.
** Now peeple, I refrained from making the obvious joke with the positioning of the speech bubbles, so lets you try n be gennlemenly bout this eh? In the spirit of equality, wot we at MFM do actually support (ask Cybil, or Sybil, or however she poor dear spells it), I will later be posting a pic of John Leslie with his hampton wick out, there's bound to be one somewhere on this here interconnectular-webatoriumator...

Let the voting begin!?!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #1613
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Well, I may have stretched that a bit. I've got about 70 or so pages to catch up, but not for lack of trying. I've fucked off a meeting or six reading through this thread. Great stuff!

Besides, I really need only read about every other page after the first ten or so because all the important shit, funny shit, and worthy pictures/graphics, etc is oft quoted and repeated, and generally flogged back and forth, and the unworthy entries allowed to fade into oblivion. So, that means I have roughly 35 pages to read. That's my math, and I'm sticking to it.

For the love of god man, don't nuke this thread. There's a wealth of technical data, a handy assemblage of Brit humour, and random musings not found elsewhere on this site.

I press the right, ehem, button!

Quote:
That, dear jings, sounds like a perfect plan

PICS!?!

I think we felt it was better to keep all this shit in one place rather than pollute the rest of the marvelous ADVr by scattering bizzare & incongruous mini threads willy-nilly hither & thither. It seemed the most responsible & humane thing to do, and aims to be a little like trying to vomit in the bucket & not on the leather couch you know?

I do so hope you have actually worked your way thru rather than just shortcutting to the end, looking tired & saying you'd run the whole course? In an alternate multiverse this here scared (sorry, sacred) text is a 'Bibble of the Ride-iculous', possibly. There will be of course (as in all psuedo 'comical' settings) be a detailed test at the end you know, if such a thing as an end ever came, which I doubt it will, tho it might, but probably not. Or might.

So it seems the topic is now - shall we just nuke this whole thing & act as though it never happened Let's* ask Konnie Huq-Brooker. If you have a touchscreen, place your finger on the left or right buttons depending on your preference**

* In a totally not sexist kind of way.
** Now peeple, I refrained from making the obvious joke with the positioning of the speech bubbles, so lets you try n be gennlemenly bout this eh? In the spirit of equality, wot we at MFM do actually support (ask Cybil, or Sybil, or however she poor dear spells it), I will later be posting a pic of John Leslie with his hampton wick out, there's bound to be one somewhere on this here interconnectular-webatoriumator...

Let the voting begin!?!

Vitruvian Mike screwed with this post 03-12-2011 at 06:59 PM Reason: because I'm too fucking blunt to get it right the first three attempts
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #1614
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Some jobs to get DMW back on the road, some done after:
  • * New rear tyre 2nd hand M/Works WHR00001 . 110 Avon Roadrider? i.e. 400x18
  • New oil filter/sort oil cooler feed SIA37575
  • * Replace 2 or 3 burnt wires in the harness. WD40 everywhere. Find source of problem. Heatshrink some ends on unused clocks plug. Heatshrink u turn on charge warning light bypass.
  • * Fix horn so it's no longer blowing fuses (!)
  • Small baffles inserted into exhaust end? i.e. Highway hawk? or similar? Fit braided bendy sections of flexible pipe on exhaust out (adaptors needed?) with Supertrapps on far end? (pj currently has flexi pipes?)
  • Front drive shaft gaiter clip TRA30297
  • Edging on plate 11mm.
  • Mount flyscreen properly, ally strap, brackets etc. Find flyscreen!?!
  • * MOT/Tax/Insurance swap
  • Refresh speedo (battery/spare unit?) - bike type
  • Er...
* Have to be done to get on road, others would like to do.

Jobs for STD1
  • Battery? ELA59652 current one screwed.
  • Battery rubber straps FRA43562
  • Dashboard volt meter replacement? Current one very jumpy. Does PJ have one? Will my other 1 work or fit?
  • * Tighten steering head bearings v slightly.
  • * Check Fork tops tightened slightly? & replace fluid. Oil leakage from top - O-rings? Bars off, big socket @ shedquaters. Book torque?
  • * Choke return springs (current don't fully return chokes) FUA37370. Later 'cable/spring closing' rather than earlier 'wires push shut' type. Or shorten springs already in place without snapping them...
  • Rubber strips between fairing & Pockets FAA07190 Not a big issue but pockets are wet thru without. DIY store options cheaper. Briefly investigate.
  • * Replace air screw in left carb (pointy end mangled) FUA35302 Causes carb imbalance & sooty plug on one side. Get carbs adjusted via magic Dave ear.
  • * Side stand spring pivot plate (just 1.50!) - is it 1 or 2?, how are the springs? FRA10739 & FRA10721 - where was the previous discussion & pics in this thread? Do please find it for me dear minions of mine...
  • * Top strip 'sidelight' bulb? LIA63576
  • Pannier clip, canibalise extra case from Asstrall
  • * Cut section from centre stand
  • * Kurerust on stand & bare sections
  • Er...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #1615
Bloo
Jack Russel Dodger

Oddometer: 97
Concours in Jax

I wnt to the Concours yesterday and they had some airheads. Enjoy,

And can't stop without at least one cool Ferrari along with the bikes.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #1616
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/DSC01290.jpg one for planktonnn
Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #1617
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,925
Wicked Answer to The Perfect Pillion Question, Lost Back There A Ways, Seemingly

38DDs, or better, preferably fitted with largish circular barbell "jewelry," which can (well, could is more accurate as the rules have changed) be useful in capturing the attention of a semi-driver and so procuring a cold frosty beer or three on a hot Sunday in a "dry county" in Texas.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #1618
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Off riding for a couple of days, will get back with 'propper' comments when my wheels pull up here again...
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #1619
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Only a dog knows why a biker sticks his head out of a car window.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #1620
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
So.....as some of you may be aware, I like to fit in a medical emergency at least once a year, so as to remind me of my own mortality and my deep desire to not die. Ten days ago my left lung decided it had had enough of being inflated for 55 years, and just went pfffttt.....apparently, being tall and svelte, as well as a long-term herb'n'tobacco smoker, set me up for this. If only they'd put warnings out about the dangers of sucking hot smoke deep into your lungs, I may have avoided this extremely painful happenstance. They should put graphic warnings on the tobacco packs, and then we'd be able to make conscious decisions about this sort of behaviour.......

Having perused the last couple of pages of postings on this thread, it seems that motorcycle-related topics have crept back in while I've been away. Fucking weird. Thank god I'm back, so I can talk about myself, is all I can say.

At the moment, I have several titanium staples sealing up the holes I burnt in my lung which, thankfully, means I will set off alarms at airports and so forth. Also, thank fuck that a) I don't get on airplanes due to the fact that I refuse to have a passport so the government doesn't know where I am, and b) thank fuck we don't have the equivalent of the TSA here in dear old Blighty, otherwise they'd rip open my chest looking for bombs.

It's a bit of a shock when your lung collapses, let me tell you. First, you think you're having a heart attack, and that you're going to die, which is a bit horrible. Then when you find out your lung has shrunk down into your chest cavity, and it's not a heart attack, you relax somewhat, only then the procedures start. I want to tell you about the procedures because they're seared into my mind due to the extremely excruciating pain that makes you whimper like a small girly Also, I want to tell you all about the procedures, because as an ex-smoker,(ten days and counting) I want to get all righteous and holier-than-thou because.......I want to save you all from the girly-whimpering. No, don't thank me, it's the least I can do.

Have you ever been stabbed through the ribs? If you have, it was probably done with a sharp knife. When your lung collapses, they stab you through the ribs with a blunt, slightly tapered, plastic tube after they've formed a guide-hole with a thin needle, and they do this with a bit of local anaesthetic which doesn't work. I have it on good authority that this procedure is just about the most painful thing a man can endure while conscious and, quite frankly, I believe it. Just prior to this, they stick a 14 guage needle into your upper chest, and basically like a brake system, they attempt to bleed your chest cavity of the air that is escaping from your lung, and forcing the lung into a mushy ball due to the pressure differences.
At this point, you will be wishing for a time-machine, so that you can go back to when you started smoking (aged 10) and smack yourself in the mouth. But I digress.

After they've stabbed you with the plastic dilator tube, they attach a long piece of plastic tubing, which they affix to a plastic bucket which you will carry about with you, so that everyone can see the crap that oozes out of your chest, through suction, and which (almost) forces you to shit in a bed-pan and piss in a bottle. Naturally, I managed to rig up a system whereby I could piss'n'shit like god intended, because I made friends with a male nurse who, being a K1300 owner*, allowed me the luxury of a much longer piece of tubing which let me get to the en-suite bathroom provided by our wonderful national health service.

Then, without telling you, they will move you to a four-bedded ward so you can listen to old men gasp and wheeze, until they die. Luckily, by this time, you are so warm and fuzzy with the morphine-based pain relief, that you're not quite sure where the fuck you are, so the lessons to be learnt from being three feet away from a fellow human's death, are made somewhat easier to deal with. Still, they did repeat the dead-guy-thing 4 times, until I got the point. Oh, while I think about it, have you ever come across necrotising pneumonia? Google it.

Next, after being attached to your chest-drain and the tubing, for 5 days, they decide that it's not going to work for you as the bubbles keep on coming out of your lung, so it's time for surgery. This is a welcome diversion, as it means you get the hard drugs and you don't know much about anything for 24 hours. However, when you wake up, you find that because of the breathing tube they've rammed down your throat, and the air you've swallowed as a result, you will experience a whole new pain due to the overlapping waves of stomach cramps that make you do the girly whimpering thing again, but this only last 2 days until you can fart. Which I eventually did, in glorious fashion.

At this point, the doctor will come and see you. He will tell you that a) the surgery was successful and b) that they're going to do the whole thing again, except to the right lung, in 6 week's time. You will ask the doctor if that's really necessary, and he will say: yes it is. Inwardly, you will have a little cry, but you'll put a brave face on things because you have a reputation as a hard guy to maintain. But really, you'll want the time machine so you can try to warn yourself, but it still won't happen.

On the day you leave the hospital, you'll find that some fucker has stolen your shoes, which causes problems. Also, you will be desperate for a cigarette, but you can't have one. Neither can you have a herbal toke, but then you realise that cannabis dissolves in milk, which raises your spirits somewhat, along with the fact that whisky is medicinal......

So, as a Martha Farquar Educational Health Service initiative, bear in mind that shit happens, and act accordingly. I've always hated born-again non-smokers myself, what with their sanctimonious smuggery and their disparagement of drug-based life-styles, but I will offer this tip: use a bong or a hookah pipe. Cool smoke saves lungs.....

* See? Even in times of personal shitstorms, BMW's come to the rescue.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote