ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.12%
Nasty? 30 13.57%
Nasty but nice? 162 73.30%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #151
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentypeetightwad
I'll put 20p in the kitty towards the abandoned Bajan camp
Its a start...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #152
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 443
Nice to see your DMW coming together.
"Dave" spent 3500 on the engine in his racer, no wonder its fast.
Keep up the good work
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #153
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12
You've no idea how much that personality flaw has stymied my march to greatness.
I know the feeling well. Anyway, you're back - excellent news!
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #154
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Please allow me to direct your attention to the wonderful Grand Prix Diary, particularly the 3rd personal ad at http://grandprixdiary.com/2009-grand...-hearts-column

It makes more sense if you know Eddie Jordan
Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #155
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Rightsideup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsideup
I know the feeling well. Anyway, you're back - excellent news!
I was going to do a series of ripostes to planktonnn's utterances, vis-a-vis his general insubordination, but instead I'll say Hi, Rightsideup...yes, I'm back. As you can see, planktonnn and myself have formally inaugurated the Martha Farquar Intercontinental Motorcycle Corporation with a joint-operation based around this R80RT (the 'standard one' [std1])...we hope to become extremely rich and famous when it's completed. Can't wait. As ever, the Gods have shat from a height upon us in a variety of ways...we've had problems with the std1, although nothing we haven't been able to overcome, and he's been doubly-shat-upon with a blown bottom end on his bike. I have had to stop drinking whisky and overdoing herbal remedies and fags in order not to die...I'm sure you'll appreciate what a shitter it is when age and the cumulative effects of abuse smack you around a bit...what a fucking bummer. Anyhow, although this is planktonnn's thread, he's kindly allowed me to generally fuck around with it until I'm match fit again and can hold down my own thread once more...
it's early days though, and I lose my puff a bit on the longer sentences.
My bike is progressing slooooooooowly, but I'm confident that it will, as expected, be the best fucking airhead ever built. Yeah. Anyway, as to the std1, I'm trying to get just the right amount of black shiny paint on the frame, and today fit a new bevel oil seal. Never done one before, turned out to be not as bothersome as I thought it might....the bevel had pissed oil all over the brake shoes; it had at least 150ml too much oil in it and the breather was blocked...here's a pic. The old seal looked like the original, and was a bit of a bastard to get out, new one went in just lovely.

pjcr12 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 06:57 AM
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #156
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Close up....

Here's a close-up of the bevel cover plate....this is for the record to prove that, internally, I got it surgically clean. Not in any way polished, just surgically clean.....like you're supposed to, but not always like I do.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #157
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

All back together...

Here's a bit of info; when dismantling a bevel to change the output seal, there are two 5mm holes in the cover plate. With all the bigger bolts out, screwing in two 5mm allen screws pulls the cover off the bevel housing, leaving you with the ring gear unit attached. Warming the cover (not much) lets the ring gear/bearing drop out...which is nice. Getting the old seal out is a bit of a bastard without a mighty press and/or the BMW special tools....not having a mighty press or either of the special tools requires that old shed-based ingenuity...in my case this involved some very careful cutting of the seal, and a couple of mole grips to pull the seal apart, inwards, and away it came.

Fitting the new seal involved a bit of wood and a lump hammer, sensitively employed...getting the cover onto the ring gear/bearing unit was helped with a slight warming of the cover and enough lube to get it onto the hub part. The tricky bit is to know how close the back of the ring gear needs to be in relation to the cover...but then I realised that, with the shim(s) correctly installed, the cover bolts (correctly torqued) pull the whole unit together, and you end up with a proper job. Or so I fervently pray.
Here's a pic...

Oh, while I think about it...the breather was totally blocked..the whole problem could have been down to that and the excess diff oil creating too much pressure and blowing past the seal. Gentlemen, check yer breathers!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #158
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Two coats in, and counting....

Swing(ing)arm completely stripped (again) and a fucking horrible initial black'n'shinyness redone for properness...this was because I came away from planktonnn's place the other day realising that I will never be able to match his work ethic vis-a-vis paint finishes....but I must make the effort. Same goes with the frame...after we'd talked at length about the state of the fairing, and the options available to us, I realised to my shame that I can't hold a candle to his fortitude, knowledge and damn it, his paint surface ethics and integrity! Still, I consider it yet another learning opportunity of a weird, quasi Zen-like nature.

When we've finished this bike, someone is going to get a very well-sorted airhead...

Old 09-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #159
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
Nice to see your DMW coming together.
"Dave" spent 3500 on the engine in his racer, no wonder its fast.
Keep up the good work
3.5k! He said the port polishing was expensive...
Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #160
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastjuriescreatedrights12
Bevel stuff
Ooh, it's a little shiny, let me check it against the corporate colo(u)r chart... no, that just passes. Very nice!?! Did you test it using the mini motor behind? WAIT, I can see a bit you missed out on assembly, among the sockets...

While at Daves dropping off the wheels & chatting beancans recently I heard a great old name being used* that I haven't heard for years - Shagnasty. It's great isn't it? I'm not sure if it has any particular associations or connotations elsewhere in the world, here it's just Shagnasty. It was said with just the right mix of distaste, derision & dialect, and for me at least it was accompanied by remembrances of all the people who've both received & deserved it over the years. Shagnasty. Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyjockeyscrashracehorses12
... never be able to match his work ethic vis-a-vis paint finishes....
It's all bluff, I'm just going to take the entire fairing down the shops (I believe some call it a 'mall'?), and fill in all the stone chips, scratches & repair wounds from those sample bottles of nail varnish they have out

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinsjustlycraverevenge12
When we've finished this bike, someone is going to get a very well-sorted airhead...
Aren't you going to keep it then? It will of course need a pan-continental blast for quality control In other news I was working on a gig with a Heavy Metal tribute band tonight. They were utterly meticulous about how their gear was set up, and stripped it & set it back up 3 or 4 times. They were called OC/DC...

*By the other Dave about another Dave.

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 05:23 PM Reason: Because I can :-D
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #161
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
In other news I was working on a gig with a Heavy Metal tribute band tonight. They were utterly meticulous about how their gear was set up, and stripped it & set it back up 3 or 4 times. They were called OC/DC...
Nice!
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #162
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

RE:DMW

Ahhhh... So the answer is no, an early gearbox R doesn't mate with a late clutch. I didn't exactly expect it to, but then I've never seen specific mention that it won't in any place I've looked. Maybe it does, mine didn't but we thought we'd find out for the greater good of buying the right things on ebay. The rod is the primary issue as far as I can see.

So, through extensive & not at all futile tests I have confirmed that the late a/head clutch is very similar to the K, with the output plate being the same part. The diaphragm spring is slightly different, as is the drive plate. Bolts & crinkle washers are exactly the same, though I can't read a 7 digit BMW part code on the washers Cough Cough. K & a/head friction plate was the same except for the splined boss size. The early gearbox/actuation didn't fit with the late clutch in my case. I'm surprised on one level, but it may just be me, or how I adjusted it - it didn't work for me. Now of course the actuation pivot & pushrod system is different on early vs. late g/boxes, and though we didn't specifically try the late pushrod in the early box, it's thrust bearing & end pushy whatsit cap didn't fit, so we stopped right there I'd always thought (+ been told) that the g/boxes were swappable... Still, you live, you learn (you forget & try the same shit next month).

By the luck of the blessed Jove, and quick as boiled asparagus, I was able to select the best from a pair of available late g/boxes for testing purposes & 10 minutes* later a late g/box was attached and, like magic, and before you can say 'Dad I want to go in now', we had a functioning clutch & g/box, with a positive but easy lever action. Much lighter than I had from the pre '79 heavy flywheel set up that's come off. Now, this gearbox will have to come off again, as it's borrowed from the STD1 rebuild. But by good fortune there is another in the pile which is being played with & de-fucked at 'Imperial Headquarters', and if it's available I would like to use that, or I will scream & scream & scream until I am sick. I will still need to dig out a late actuation arm, bearing & rod etc, and I can feel a new rubber boot coming on.

I've really missed riding a lot. I know people say that, but I'm really starting to itch now. It'll be a relief & I can of course get back to the STD1. And while I'm being reflective; If you do bother to read all this shite, thanks. As you might imagine I'd be scribbling it anyway, but thanks for 'being there' I used to tutor a particular client in music technology and computer music, and each week he'd ask just the wrong questions, and get entirley the wrong end of the stick about everything, however I approached working him through it. Now it's usually right to say a 'failing' student is the fault of the tutor, but I tried great giga-loads of methods & techniques + by the end he still couldn't save to a floppy let alone 'play' the equipment like it was an instrument. I came to the conclusion that he was in fact an IT/MTech genius, and revelled in setting me up each session, happy to pay for the laughs.

I guess I picture this situation as the reverse/obverse/transverse of that one, wherein I set off like a blind noseless greyhound on some ridiculous & poorly executed attempt to do what everyone here already knows is impractical, if not spectacularly impossible - And so spectators gather in amusement - 'Shall we perhaps tell him that won't work & precisely why with diagrams & CGI and stuff?', 'Oh no, lets not. See, what's the poor little turnip brained lab rat's doing now!'

Next thing to do is get the carbs re-needled & maybe re-jetted? I was running 170 mains on 40mm Bings with a K&N and short pipes. It always ran hot, which makes me think lean?, but I guess the volume of the pipes drown out any indicating noises, and my ear's not tuned in anyway. The plugs have always looked good, as far as my expectations & the Haynes plug pics etc. In the heads the coke was black, inlet valve the same, and the exhaust valve was that mid/dark tan one expects see on good plugs. I've got new needles, the later needle clips and 175 & 180 jets sitting in a box of tomorrows work. What do you reckon - 175? This is why I hate carbs - with injection I can just remap the bastard, and this dear reader, is why I've always fancied putting o/head throttle bodies & injectors on DMW, with a turbo and...

Here we go again...

* That's Three Toed Sloth minutes, which may be slightly longer...
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 05:07 AM Reason: To increase the adjective count...
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #163
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

So, I might be ready to start the new engine on DMW...
Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #164
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

And so it came to pass.....

"But by good fortune there is another in the pile which is being played with & de-fucked at 'Imperial Headquarters', and if it's available I would like to use that, or I will scream & scream & scream until I am sick. I will still need to dig out a late actuation arm, bearing & rod etc, and I can feel a new rubber boot coming on".

And so....here at Imperial HQ it did indeed come to pass that the horrible post '81 gearbox did get de-fucked by a dedicated servant of the marque...when turning the output flange by hand, there had been a tight spot which had caused some concern....knowing it had sat around for ages, I surmised that grungy shit probably lay at the heart of the matter. Grungy shit did lay at the heart of the matter, and here's how it was degrunged and un-shittified...filling the 'box up with oil and attaching a drill to the output flange nut, I span it in neutral and fifth for a goodly period.....er, that's it. Smooth as smooth can be; there may be a bit of slack in first, but this gearbox is certainly good enough for the likes of planktonnn and thereby allows the std1's gearbox to be reunited with the mothership, where it rightfully belongs.

Also, because I'm great, I have also resolved planktonnn's clutch arm boot, spring and sundry other clutch actuation shortfalls, by rooting around in the shed until said parts were located....

Here's a pic of planktonnn pondering his options...

Old 09-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #165
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Those gearboxes in close-up....

I know it may appear that, at times, we are in the fortunate position to have a good stock of all kinds of airhead shit just lying around, ready to use, modify and/or break. That's because we are in the fortunate position of having a good stock of etc etc.....used airhead parts are getting significantly rarer (at least here in Blightyshire) and prices will shoot up soon, grab 'em while you can.