ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.62%
Nasty? 28 13.15%
Nasty but nice? 156 73.24%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #2071
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,683
Mmmmmmmmm, Siebenrock...
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #2072
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Money talks...
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #2073
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

On riding methods & painful legs…

I’m not exactly going to be complaining about physical discomfort, I don’t feel I have the right to, in that sort of ‘Well if you’re not going to be present at the orthopaedic clinic you must put down the lid on your cheerless nonsense-distributing oral cavity’ kind of way. So please, do be absolutely clear there’s really no sympathy required, I certainly have none for myself, and quite right too, fuckin tit!?!

But, oh all me bones does ache. The most intrusive is a pain in my neck, which simply feels eternally stiff, and cricked in a couple of orientations. The collar bone still clicks & graunches, and the surrounding meat grumbles at the prodding & tenderising it receives. This gnawing pain is joined with complaints from the surrounding bone structure, which is forced to take up some of the load. Like I’ve said before, I don’t give a fuck, but mention of it is pertinent to the following section. A bit.

Having not bothered to do it for ages, I finally got around to repositioning the upper mounting point of the rear shocks. The observant among you might recall that the rear shock mounting holes had another set of holes drilled forward of them, further along the sub-frame webbing. I don’t know what this did to the geometry of the rear suspension, and how the changed canted angle of the shocks would effect their theoretical rising rate behaviour under compression (or something like that, I’m making this shit up you know uh?), but I do know that when I finally got around to swapping the top mounts back to the standard holes it was the work of but a few minutes so I don’t know why it took me so long, except maybe that I think they look nicer headed forward a little.

Now while I’ve totally no idea how the rear suspension geometry would be altered, or if the suspension forces coming into the top (cut, no hoop) subframe might increase flex, and what any of that would mean for the feel or handling, if anything, and could I fucking tell anyway? (No.) I do know that geometric considerations aside (because I know nowt) it at least has the simple effect of raising the rear end by another 0.5cm or more, in effect the straightening of the mounting angle is lengthening the shock very slightly, similar to giving me a virtual additional castellation riser on my preload ring. This of course (he says as tho he knows) has the effect of pushing the centre of balance/moment of inertia further forward as well as up or down (you tell me?), loading the front wheel up more. Now according to my poor understanding of chassis dynamics this ought to make the front end a ‘bit more pointy’*, and at the very least evidence itself thru there being more heat in the front tire/yre after a run.

During the mount-point change I also adjusted the damping on the shocks, down from position 2 (of 4)** to position 1, which is softer on the Ikons fitted, and I’ve been trying to feel out what this and the changes above have done to the handling. Damping wise, does the back end wallow or porpoise? Can I feel more or less of the much-discussed-but-yet-to-be-recognised-by-my-ass effect of the rear end trying to rise under the throttle, as the drive-shaft attempts to ‘climb up’ the rear bevel?*** What happens on turn in?, or leant over under braking?**** What effect does trailing the back brake to the ‘apex’/power-on-point have? (it seems to increase stability & reduce what I would think of as chatter). How does the new-set up cope with counter-steered flip-flop ‘chicanes’? What’s the difference in the pattern of behaviour between low & high speeds? For which is it optimised? What differences do my inputs create, and how can I make it do what I want, or, as I was once prone to read that Mick Doohan was once prone to say, what does it want me to do?***** But this is where the riding method & aforementioned body pain come in to play.

Remembering that I started by asking for no commiseration because it’s my own responsibility so I’ll suck it up, one of the things I noticed in this pyrrhic ‘process’ was that, due to the skeletal pain, I’ve somewhat swapped to riding on my feet a little more than my ass, so that the jolts are taken up by legs & arms in a semi-off-road-style – i.e. head still(ish)/bike & body bounce below. I came to notice that I was resting on the seat, but not right down on it, with my feet instead active on the pegs leaving me semi-self-suspended. OK, so you may think I’m talking shit, you may know exactly what I mean. I may not know exactly what I mean. Who knows? Either way up it seems to be aggravating the neck & shoulder, and means any bumpy B Road jaunt leaves me with aching legs. It also effects the way I steer the bike, how it feels, and perhaps even whether my feet are inputting contradictory forces to those from hands & body?

The front end now feels stiff. K forks with progressive springs, air caps & heavy oil, dropped 1.5cm thru the triple-yolk-tree. Currently there’s no air pushed into the forks, I’ve just sat on it & pressed the pinheads on the tire/yre type valves. Having played with various atmospheric pressures pumped in, I’ve wondered whether I might ratchet-strap the front down & let out the resultant excess air, and what this would do once the bike was back and settled into it’s ride height? Shortened forks? More front bias on the CoG/MoI? More damping? More rigid – only experi-mentalism will tell…

But I must admit that the broken collar bone has put a little hesitancy into my riding, and I can’t say my clicky frame provides a stable platform for chuck-it-about ‘development testing’. However, it seems that with the same rider input I’m finding myself nearer my targeted imaginary apex point, sometimes before I expect to be, maybe indicating that with the inputs my muscle memory have learnt to put into the old configuration now seem to have more effect, turning me more for a given input. My ridings all shot though. Not only can I not afford petrol for long runs, or a rapidly-nearing-need-of-replacement rear tire/yre, or parts for a rebuild after a crash shaped mishap – I’ve turned out to have become instinctively nervous of landing slipping or flipping off, especially on to the right side again – and I have done and gone all unadventurous – but then I guess that’s partly what pain is for, no?

And, as I’ve repeatedly admitted, I’m no Rossi when it comes to developing a bike, and I’ve certainly no Jerry Burgess et al to hand. As a small aside on that, I can’t join the clamour to say that Vale is all washed up. I seem to recall hearing that the works Yamaha Lorenzo/Spies team have gone back to last years chassis, i.e. that developed by Rossi/Burgess. Jorge or Ben might be fast, but perhaps fast on what you give them, rather than developing a dominant machine themselves. I think Spies perhaps benefited from Mladins chassis tuning skills? Though I do rate Spies, I don’t know, maybe he had a different crankshaft to Mat? Rossi seems to me to be seeking to build a dynastic dominance, with this year as an investment toward a career Indian Summer with Ducati? Over the years, the Desmosedici has been pretty poor for everyone but Stoner, and you can’t say any of the team mates have been bad peddlers. The Rossi/Burgess team landed spectacularly well at Yamaha, perhaps better than expected, and maybe this time it’s taking a little longer to integrate at Ducati, than it did with the move from Honda to Yamaha? There’s really not a lot of the current riders who have the experience and skill to develop a winning MotoGP bike.

Anyway, I’m ready for the call when it comes…

* That’s a technical term that is.
** Two is hard, how hard must 4 be? Dare I find out?
*** The opposite of a chain drive. I think?
**** That’s braking, not breaking. I’m not a grammar fascist, how could I be, but that one niggles me a little. I’m not a grammar fiend, and when your as illiterate as I then it’s take a bit of cheek, i.e. I once observed a friend insult an ex lover via an email obitch-uary of their relationship by questioning his intelligence, but they spelt inteligence wrong…
***** One might be momentarily inclined to listen to a multiple world champions perspective on chassis development, no?

Pictured. Oh I don't know, whatever I randomly select -
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #2074
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

I think I'm going to have to grab a 2nd hand rear tyre from somewhere, please do feel free to donate

Oh, & a rocker gasket...
Er... I can see this being added to.
Oil filter & oil change.
See...
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 04:39 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #2075
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

er

looking for work?

i hear there's jobs going at apple...
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #2076
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
"Anyway, I’m ready for the call when it comes…"

Cooeeee Mr Planktonnnnnnnnn!!!!!

ps I have a spider living in my keyboard....I just thought I'd mention it.

pjcr12 screwed with this post 10-06-2011 at 12:48 PM Reason: I am an all-powerful god-like manifestation of the mighty boosh.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #2077
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
"Anyway, I’m ready for the call when it comes…" Cooeeee Mr Planktonnnnnnnnn!!!!! ps I have a spider living in my keyboard....I just thought I'd mention it.
You're now representing the Honda Racing Company/Ducati/Yamaha? Oooh Errrr!?! Just have your helichopper pick me up at lunchtime & I'll see what I can do
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #2078
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Tyres

planktonnn, re your rear tyre problemo.....I had a root around in my secondary shed and came up
with the following:

a) a Cheng Shin 400 x 18 (gentlemen's tread style, looks unused)
b) a Dunlop 410 x 18 TT100 (NOS)*

* The only thing with this is that it's a front tyre. What I would do in these circumstances, is I would
either grind off the 'front' marking off the tyre, or cover it up with black gaffa tape, so it did not
impinge upon my conciousness or become noticeable by either the cops or a finickety MOT
inspector. Personally, I would grind it off, 'cos I like the smell of burning rubber in the mornings.
In either case, the tyres would be FOC as I have no use for them. Let me know if you're at all
interested.

ps Here's a drawing I did of you a while back. It was just after you 'got religion' again.
Attached Images

pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #2079
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
a) a Cheng Shin 400 x 18 (gentlemen's tread style, looks unused)
Sounds lovely, I'm a bit short of fuel cash, but I'll give you a shout & pop over to grab it, thanks :-)

Quote:
ps Here's a drawing I did of you a while back. It was just after you 'got religion' again.
I must hereby declare a cease & desist notice, I have
never got religion. That pic is in fact, as you well know, from the time when you forced me to dress up as Asstrail & repeatedly hollered 'Do a little dance monkey boy!?!' at me. All I can say is that I'm just glad you erased the item I was polishing...

Now then, Vettel. I just don't rate him. Yes, the speed is there, yes the first victory at Monza was very good, though strongly assisted by weather in qualifying, and the (now) two championships are for sure deserved, however I can't help but think about Adrian Newey. Always been a supreme car builder, he just has the touch. Yes it's true to say that for whatever reason Webber hasn't been able to take the same car to the success that Vettel has, but the real future test is perhaps what Sebastian will be able do in a car which isn't the best, or very close to the best.

I guess what concerns me most is the change a driver has to go thru to become dominant, or goes thru in the process of becoming dominant. Vettel began by having what I felt was a fair & realistic approach - i.e. when making a mistake towards the end of the Australian GP a few years ago he put his hands up & accepted his responsibilities. Unfortunately the result was a penalty, and it seemed to me ludicrous to punish honesty. Now the problem is that he seems to have swung a little to far into the Schumacher 'I did nothing' state of mind. For my taste the move on Button at the start today was a little too much, it was that ugly 'Schumacher swing' we used to see so often, veering right across the track to try to hold back a car that was already alongside, pushing Button onto the grass & forcing him to lift off.
In the back room pre-podium chat with Button, Vettel then went on to deny there was an issue, and perhaps it seems to me as though his personality has shifted. All not to my taste...

I can't say I would look forward to a period of Vettel domination. That whole 'Schumacher outdoes Fangio' period bored the tits off me, but at the same time the domination of Senna or Rossi doesn't bother me - you can't dislike passionate, charismatic & exciting figures who always rise to the challenge.

Pictured - Let's see the fucker win in this...
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 02:04 AM
Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #2080
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
er

looking for work?

i hear there's jobs going at apple...
Yep, I'm starting there tomorrow. Let's see how long it takes to get to his level. Already owning a airhead must be a headstart. However, getting in as a technical customer support agent isn't.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #2081
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb Senna...

OK, so I just watched the film for the first time. It’s stunning, and I have to say it brought me to tears a number of times. I can understand why they skipped thru the earlier career, almost going straight from karts to F1, but for me that was a pity.

If I recall correctly I first saw him race in ’81 under the family name of Ayrton Da Silva, when I was 16/17 & he was racing in the two UK national Formula Ford 1600 championships (1.6 Ltr engine/road tyres & no wings), and at the time that was my vain dream too, though I had no chance and got nowhere near even sitting in a car. I had some very small contact with him, because for most of the year I was hanging around the paddocks at both the RAC & Towsend-Thorenson championship rounds, pestering the Van Diemen mechanics and scrounging bacon rolls & mugs of tea, as I’d got to know a couple of them very vaguely at the ’80 Formula Ford Festival, won convincingly by Roberto Moreno. Of course I can’t say I knew Senna, as so many are desperate to claim, but as a regular face about the paddock that year I got the odd nod & smile - that great beaming smile… He won both '81 FF1600 national championships and quite definitely stood out from the thronging crowd of struggling hopefuls. He was dominant, but he was utterly exciting.

The same was true the following year in the Formula Ford 2000 championship (2 Ltr engine/slicks & wings). Adopting the name Senna, his mothers maiden name, he was again dominant in the works Van Diemen, imperious due to his focus but intensely human. And again he was dominant in the following years Formula Three championship. Driving a West Surrey Racing Ralt-Toyota RT3/83, he ran an utterly fantastic season, only really being challenged by Martin Brundle. By mid-season Brundle was really getting the hang of things, resulting in the infamous crash between the two at, I think, Outlon Park?, or was it Cadwell?, either way the two ended up in the wall because it seemed Ayrton just couldn’t conceive that anyone could be in front of him. During these two seasons I was still hanging around the paddock and got to be around him on a few occasions. An utterly magnetic character, with an intensity I’ve never seen in another driver.

So we come to ’94. Now, surely we know that the Benetton was equipped with illegal launch/traction control not least because they were caught, but also because when a ’94 Scumacher car came up for sale on eBay a couple of years back the presence of the two facilities in the ECU software was confirmed in the advert* If you could be bothered you could search back thru this thread to find my mention of it at the time of the sale. Watching the Imola race live, immediately after the crash, it was quite clear what was happening, simply because the marshals at the crash scene seemingly did nothing, stood back, shocked, bemused.

A true true hero of mine, and little though it means, I would give my life for his…

* Apparently when hooked to a laptop the ECU main menu was followed by some space, and then if you scrolled further down the Launch Control (i.e. anti wheel-spin/traction control) option came up… The team admitted it was there but claimed it was never activated during a meeting, and the FIA seemed unable or unwilling to prove it had been.

Pictured – Silverstone 18th March 1983 F3
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 03:17 PM Reason: age...
Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #2082
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

1st March 1981 Brands Hatch, Van Diemen RF80 -
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 03:10 PM Reason: I was thinking RF81, but the source says RF80, + I guess it was the first round of the year?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #2083
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Love him as I do, that Irvine thing seems not to have been the 1st time... Ayrton with team mate Enrique Mansilla at Mallory Park in '81.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #2084
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Question

Big Bang anyone?
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #2085
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Free.

Airhead Friendly Shops Locator app by Brainzai!
Attached Images