ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.36%
Nasty? 28 12.90%
Nasty but nice? 160 73.73%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #196
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
I assume this is from the MFMFC Is this open to the public or is viewing by invitation only? +++ SNIP PIC +++
Ah, well, no. I think I leached the pic from http://thenewcaferacersociety.blogspot.com/ and you're quite welcome to view it any time that suits, as long as you can find the blog entry

Right now the 'collection' is more like an assemblage of the following -
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #197
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb Y’kno you’rre OILLLY when yourrr trrrrews catch o’firre…

RE:DMW - And so to more spannering*. This morning is all about having ignition timing strobed spot on, and the 40mm Bings caressed. I’ve got 175 main jets installed, and a K&N which seems to be running happily, but it’s been a bit lumpy as described before. I’ll be interested to see how the bike feels when it’s all ‘lined up’ so to speak. A couple of jobs like this are, for me, best done by the nearest available Dave. Their experience produces settings which I can then reference against – I know what I think is right, but how far does that deviate from an experienced eye &/or ears?

RE:STD1 – For me it’s hit that horrible middle stage where just a few things are finished, and a lot is in process. As each thing is done, 3 others are spotted you know? It's at moments like this that I think about boobies... I’ve mostly got the front end sorted using a method outlined in the Aug’ ’08 edition of Classic Mechanics, wherein any moderately pitted/rusted sections in the stanchions are dressed with a v fine warding (or points) file &/or 1600 wet/dry, cleaned thoroughly & repeatedly with solvent, and then lightly coated with an epoxy (i.e. Loctice Super Steel). Let the epoxy really go off over a few days in a warm/dry atmos, and then dress the excess off to leave the depressions filled. If I get it right I can make most problem areas unfeelably flush with the chrome, and perhaps less likely to rip or agitate a fork seal? The article, from issue 250, is seemingly optimistic that such a solution can be happy for several years. Most of the faults on our forks** seem to have responded excellently, though the proof will be had during the 2 week testing period we’ll run before the sale.

In a vain attempt to make me feel as if we’re progressing through the doldrums*** of the build, I’ve mocked the bike up with lower fairing, which has started to be prepped for repair/paint, and the mufflers, just to get an idea of where we’re going, which has made me feel a bit better about progress during this dispiriting part of the process. PJ has made some significant progress with the loom, which in common with all Airhead looms I’ve noodled with, is in pretty good shape. These bikes really were worth the original premium sale price.

The three lower fairing panels of this RT model are in a fairly tired state, and will benefit from remedial attention & paint. Though it will prove difficult to get that BMW lustre & depth. With this in mind we’ll test the finish on the lower sections before deciding whether to attack the larger expanse of the top panels, where any deficiency will be more apparent. Depending on how it goes it may be better to leave them in the original finish, though it’s slightly tired. My mother once cooked Duck l’Orange using a chicken & marmalade. The chicken would have been better on its own if you get my drift. We’ll see…

Best wishes,

Phillip Harektem.

* That which is done by, or is otherwise quintessentially of, a spanner. Limited in this instance to that definition of spanner represented by the '70s UK colloquial usage i.e. 'You SPANNER Jenkins' etc.
** Only 2 or three in the area the seal reaches.
*** Anyone know the way back to the phantom tollbooth?

Also, I may have set fire to my trousers... Also, where is Wally -
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #198
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
[quote=planktonnn]Ah, well, no. I think I leached the pic from http://thenewcaferacersociety.blogspot.com/ and you're quite welcome to view it any time that suits, as long as you can find the blog entry
quote]

one shudders at the thought of what nuggets will one day be buried and forgotten in cyberspace.
(My abject and sincere apologies, I will refrain from future extemporanification in this excellent thread)

edit. Note the straight line connecting the tank and the seat.

tenderfoot screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 10:08 AM
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #199
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Can we add to any shopping list, if there is such a thing?

"Can we add to any shopping list, if there is such a thing?"

As you are probably aware, due to the exact same email I've just sent you....here is my response.

Brake rod front pivot clip..................check
Side stand spring............................check
Big bag of money............................Out of stock.
GEA38740.....................................check

Re loud clattering on r/h cylinder...someone must have forgotten to add the black spacer on the intake rocker when they did the head swap earlier in the year...anyway loud clatter eliminated, think it's only firing on one, but quite an astounding machine nevertheless *

I have no pictures to include because things are a bit static, visually, at the moment. And that's with a plethora of BMW's undergoing mechanical procedures...! Must be a sun-spot thing.*

* Sometimes, I just like to go a bit crazy with the font colours...........
* Although....

pjcr12 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 05:57 AM
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #200
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Although....

So, here is a pic. It scares me a bit, don't know why.....sort of thing Aleister Crowley might have come up with....he never had an airhead, far as I know.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #201
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Doldrums..............

A very interesting point. After the initial bloodrush of scouting for, scoring and dragging back an airhead to one's fettling facility, it is not uncommon for an habitual user of the opposed twin to suffer despondencies and a degree of mechanical-melancholy, especially when, as they're known, the "big lumps" are sorted. It's only natural, and in fact something which is supported by research*, that once the adrenalin-rich highs of working on the frame, engine, gearbox and so on are over, leaving the spanner-crazed individual bereft and curiously deflated, he is faced with the time-consuming, fiddly and twiddly bits that, quite frankly, does his head in. This results in a sense of not being able to give much of a fuck about it. However, these symptoms are transitory and will pass, as the time fast approaches when the loom will be on, the 'bars and switches sorted and a big fat battery hooked up. Then joy will be on the land once more, as that fucker fires up. Vroom vroom, give me poonds!**

* Martha Farquar University. Dept. of Mechanistic Psychology.

**Obviously, I wouldn't want anyone to think that we are a pair of venal bastards, preying upon the need that some men have for owning a very, very nice standard and well-sorted '85 BMW R80RT mono with a full set of panniers and 12 months MOT. Runs like a dream, practically rebuilt with all-new swear words and mechanically excellent...er, what I mean is, we aren't doing this for the money, we're doing it for the privilege and pleasure of being with a fine example of the Marque. Yeah. No, really. It's like a calling or a vocation or something; almost, but not quite, cosmic.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #202
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Obviously...............

Obviously, I now realise that the above marketing image hasn't been cleared at any level within the Martha Farquar organisation....sometimes I do things without thinking....it's a very sensitive matter, one's brand imagery, after all. Sorry planktonnn, I got carried away, can't think what came over me. Thankfully, its all just pretend, and we're making it all up as we go along. At some point soon, there'll be an appropriate post which involves actual and relevant information about this particular airhead build.............might even do it myself, who knows?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #203
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Talking I say, I say, I say...

Which country do you think loves the Flintstones most?

Abu Dhabi do...

Cough, cough. All my own work, I than kew, I than kew. Money in the hat please. If this joke exists anywhere else in the world we should take it as absolute proof of Morphic Resonance.

Actual update to follow, at some point.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #204
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,293
most spanners now metric
Old 09-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #205
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Am attacking fairing panels, almost literally.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever taken the time to show you lovely people what’s under my shed? When I'm granted a hermitry stipend I shall be living on the red dot.

Attached Images

Old 09-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #206
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

please ship your hard drive to me for easier viewing. thx
Old 09-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #207
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Ah, I was trying a little embedding that didn't do what I told it, but I have solved the proble* thus = following/replacement post

* Proble, Esperanto for problem.

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 04:18 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #208
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
one shudders at the thought of what nuggets will one day be buried and forgotten in cyberspace. (My abject and sincere apologies, I will refrain from future extemporanification in this incomprehensible thread)
It's ok, I'm writing the internet down by hand in C++, using one of those Paris-Dakar-Penge stagemap scrolling doo-hickies fed by an enormous stock of IZAL. The king of unsuccessful toilet papers... If that name doesn't bring forth an involuntary clenching then you've not lived.

And I respectfully suggest I suspect you'll find that possibly the word you were maybe looking for could possibly be extemporanificationisticism, which is, as you no doubt know, an entirely different thing, and completely acceptable so please carry on *

As far as the bikes are concerned, I'll get back to y'all out there in public land when I've got my brain flipped into place, as in that catch-a-ball-on-a-string-in-the-cup-on-a-handle game. You do know Ker-Plunk was modelled on a analysis of my unfortunate personality? Oh yes.

And now the sleeping pills are kicking in, ah, DSPS. Toodle Pip!?!

The Clash!?! Saw them maybe 4 times? Shite!?!

* I've no idea of the origin or meaning of this smiley, but for me it represents 'La di do di do di dah, lah di dah da dim dooooo'
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-28-2009 at 03:25 AM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #209
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Well, for me the build has got to that horrible disheartening stage where everything's started, but very little's finished. It’s not a problem, and it happens to pretty much everyone I imagine, but it’s not a satisfying time.

The doodling today has involved reclaiming the lower right body panel, which is the worst with four breaks, most of which have suffered half arsed repairs. After scrubbing off the paint with magic friction paper, the injuries had to be scraped off/cleared out before I was able to indulge in a veritable orgy of furious glue mixing*, which I’m assured is essential. Glue was slopped about, joints clamped with my ‘Tool of the Day’** my friend & yours - Mole Grips. Now wait. Wait some more. Repeat where required etc. The three I’ve sorted seem to be fixed, now I’ve just got to (a) fabricate & secure a replacement for the snapped centre tab that takes the fixing for the middle body-panel, and (b) fill & level the repairs where required. I’ll be ready to spray the panel up with filler primer, rub down etc. by tomorrow I hope.

I’d be interested to know a colour name or number for the original finish?

In other news the front end is mostly finished. I need to get jacked/propped up under the engine so I can extend the forks to get at any scars on the stanchion just at the level of the seal which need a tiny bit more attention, then drop the front wheel off to allow wire wheeling of the insides of the sliders. Drop the legs out of the triple yolks & pull them to replace and/or reclaim the steering bearings. Get it back together & get the gaiters on during reassembly etc. etc. - ad inf. I’ve also started on the front brake calliper, invented a new power source, developed a cure for the common cold, and brought peace across the globe.

* As an general tip, never mix glue at an orgy. It won't end well. OK?
** I usually award this prize to myself.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #210
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Allow me to translate for those disinclined to make the effort:

mole grips= Vice grips.

For a second I thought we were either talking about small mammals or mexican cuisine.

PS I noticed "reinventing calculus" was not on your "done" list. WTF, man? Seems like if you just applied yourself you could really accomplish something.