ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.74%
Nasty? 27 12.80%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.46%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #2221
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,593
Hmmmmm...
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #2222
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Hmmmmm....indeed, planktonnn. How's your rebuild of the MeMW going?
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #2223
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
Hmmmmm....indeed, planktonnn. How's your rebuild of the MeMW going?
Rebuild is a somewhat grand appellation for what amounts to little more than digging out a pile of mangled wiring & intake/filter/air flow meter & wiring/injectors/throttle bodies and piling them up in roughly the right order on the floor & thinking about what goes where, along with prepping the tank/pump/level float. So rebuild it ain't, quite

I'm thinking of working up the tail end first, just because most of it can be done in the bedroom at 'The Place' once I get the rolling chassis in the lift

I wonder how Jings is getting on with his K build?

I have though been comparing K75 spec sheets with ones for the K100, just out of vague interest.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #2224
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Caution, may contain content, which might contain correct information, or not...

Well I can't find the tail piece that I'd cut from a shite K tank, though I might have it somewhere, but my memory is so colander holed I can't read the list that might illuminate such info as within which synapse I stuffed the remainder of this fragment of recollection, so instead I worked thru the throttle bodies, and assembled them with the plenum chamber & airbox. The bodies are cleaned & lubed, but it's always been my impression that you don't want to fiddle with the factory set butterfly sync, and indeed what adjustables there are have spot marks via the ever reliable factory applied dab of paint. I've seen Ks dis-enabled thru such meddling and I just want the bloody thing to start when it comes to it.

So I was more concerned with scraping off 170k odd miles of crud and feeding light machine oil into wherever I could get it so that it slides around smoothly without signs of grit ingress, and making sure the throttle position sensor on the end of the shaft clicked both on and off. It's quite clearly both unwise and impossible to make any meaningful adjustments without the engine running, and as long as the assembly is sitting on my couch that's not going to happen.

But then nothing else will happen either, here 'amongst the sundays' as the line said...

It seems the thing to do is to get the engine upstairs and have a poke about with it, see if it's possible to assemble a running unit out of what I've got and try to bring it in at zero cost. I should have most of what I need, though I'd still be happy to get a 75 engine for jesusmuss if you've such a thing hanging around doing nothing and all. There, in the corner... Once an engine is ready to fit under my assembled intake system then I'll think back to having wanted to dump the whole air-box/air-flow meter/plenum and go for variable length velocity stacks - not variable in real time, but tunable none the less. Inside the standard plenum there are stack inserts that would give a starting point, but there's also an input for a z shaped feeder pipe from the crankcase breather. This vapour/pressure action would be hard to simulate, unless perhaps you used a one into three manifold running from an air cleaner to the three throttle bodies... but in the end none of this is possible, and so instead I will appreciate what Helmut B.M. DoubleYew Esq. had the presence of mind to give me, and so go with the standard set up.

Removing the airflow meter would also be a pain anyway. Quite possibly the ECU had a standard map should the meter fail, and a part of me remembers reading about this somehwhen, but did I really?, and could I find it again, and does it match with a faint memory of the K1 having a different meter?* What breadth is there in the injector timing and could you run a three cylinder power commander? Or could you go with whatever remains of what you once owned and see what holes were left? I've certainly seen K's with non original intake systems but I simply don't possess the resources or skills base to develop or debug a system of my own poor construct, and neither do I have the strength to struggle thru fucking the whole thing up, which as you well know is entirely inevitable.

* And exhaust sensors + responsive mapping for tuning & emissions?

Pictured - Ferrari announce breakaway series running clones of their successful drivers...
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #2225
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
( I wonder how Jings is getting on with his K build ) hello ive been distracted by a kawasaki gt550 street tracker/ cafe racer thing its heading of to .thetankshop. after crimbo for a new tank
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #2226
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Roland Sands Design, I wonder if Rodney still works there?

planktonnn screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 04:45 AM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #2227
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
( I wonder how Jings is getting on with his K build ) hello ive been distracted by a kawasaki gt550 street tracker/ cafe racer thing its heading of to .thetankshop. after crimbo for a new tank
Awwwww, a Kwakka? I think Pjcr1914-1918war used to have one or two of those. Any pics of the K? I know you stuck one up on here somewhere but I can't find it.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #2228
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Awwwww, a Kwakka? I think Pjcr1914-1918war used to have one or two of those. .
pjcr1914-1918war??!! You're a cheeky forker an' no mistake plankto-minismus but I'll let it slide as it's nearly Xmas....in any case, yes, I had a Kwakka but it was the more manly GT750 version and, FYI, it went like shit off a shovel. I bought it for about 500 (as far as I can remember) and screwed it's arse off for a couple of months and then sold it for a profit, which was nice. Either the 550 or the 750 can be picked up for very reasonable money these days, but I personally would steer clear of the 550's as a lot of them were used as courier bikes and, courier-riders being ham-fisted thrash-monkeys, they're all a bit fucked. They had a bit of a clutch rattle, as I recall, but as the time-honoured phrase used to have it: "they all do that mate....nothing to worry about".

In anticipation of a large cash windfall in compensation for no longer having a spleen, I've been perusing the second-hand market in bikes and, to be honest, there's not much out there that takes my fancy. Obviously, if a nicely-priced mono airhead turns up, I'll snap it up but I do have a secret hankering for doing something nasty to a UJM, like turning one into an off-road monster. Hmmmm....anyway HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, and may you all get a visit from Santa.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #2229
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-IU-NQ8c14

planktonnn screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 04:46 AM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #2230
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Talking

Quote:
pjcr1914-1918war??!! You're a cheeky forker an' no mistake plankto-minismus but I'll let it slide as it's nearly Xmas....in any case, yes, I had a Kwakka but it was the more manly GT750 version and, FYI, it went like shit off a shovel. I bought it for about 500 (as far as I can remember) and screwed it's arse off for a couple of months and then sold it for a profit, which was nice. Either the 550 or the 750 can be picked up for very reasonable money these days, but I personally would steer clear of the 550's as a lot of them were used as courier bikes and, courier-riders being ham-fisted thrash-monkeys, they're all a bit fucked. They had a bit of a clutch rattle, as I recall, but as the time-honoured phrase used to have it: "they all do that mate....nothing to worry about".

In anticipation of a large cash windfall in compensation for no longer having a spleen, I've been perusing the second-hand market in bikes and, to be honest, there's not much out there that takes my fancy. Obviously, if a nicely-priced mono airhead turns up, I'll snap it up but I do have a secret hankering for doing something nasty to a UJM, like turning one into an off-road monster. Hmmmm....anyway HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, and may you all get a visit from Santa.
haha depends where you buy said gt550 mine came from ayr from a old bloke who bought it from his brother who bought it new 23000 on the clock and a servive book stamped up to 20000 doesent look like a gt now tho after it met mr grinder
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #2231
Bloo
Jack Russel Dodger

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Hmmmmm...

Doesn't Ural make something like this? They call it a wolf or something? I am probably wrong.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #2232
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
haha depends where you buy said gt550 mine came from ayr from a old bloke who bought it from his brother who bought it new 23000 on the clock and a servive book stamped up to 20000 doesent look like a gt now tho after it met mr grinder
I think we need to see a pic of both the bike and Mr. Grinder, so we can pass judgement upon your fettling skills, jings.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #2233
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
Doesn't Ural make something like this? They call it a wolf or something? I am probably wrong.
Ural does indeed make something like this bloo, but I don't think that they call it a wolf. I could be wrong, but I think planktonnn calls himself 'wolf' as he prowls the frozen tundra searching for a wooden survival module. He'll probably deny it, but I know it's true. Is it Xmas yet? I'm going to get rat-arsed on supermarket whisky and post innappropriate postings on here just for the hell of it. Yeah.....
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #2234
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
...He'll probably deny it....
I deny it.

Pictured - I agree with Frankie Zee...
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #2235