ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.74%
Nasty? 27 12.80%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.46%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #211
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
mole grips= Vice grips.
I can think of a number of situations where I might want to grip a mole, but can't imagine a single circumstance where I would need to grip a vice. My vices normally grip me. Nevertheless I'm obliged to you for the translation into the Americanese,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Seems like if you just applied yourself you could really accomplish something.
Sadly, no - my school reports all said 'Could do better'
Old 09-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #212
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Talking Paintjobs, and the appropriate grading thereof.

A level 2 repair/paintjob is defined as follows: I can still see that repair very very (very) slightly, but only because I know what damage was there. My preference is a Level 1, which involves adding a stage or two if required, to eliminate even the tiny-weeny imperfections. I tried to do an L1 on my red K75S* which ended up pretty reasonable after the application of mucho elbow greeze, which is of course the key to Level 1 paintjobs. There is such a thang as a Level 0, but that's only available via the delivery of suitcases of cash to proper painters & the like, with proper facilities and the like, and an L0 is way beyond my available quotient of patience** and requires a special license.

There is of course a Level 10 paintjob, but that involves an airbrush & amputated taste.

The STD1 lower right*** panel is repaired/primed to L2 & ready for colour, but what I think is the colour I’m looking for is out of stock until Thurs. An L2 finish is selected as commensurate with the agreed level of rebuild. An L1 adds cost which could never be recovered on the sale. But I can't get on with the L2 colour application due to Rotational Stock Refreshment issues apparently. Also it may not be the right colo(u)r, I'm still interested to identify the original but can't be bothered to look.

And so instead, an observation: I have long-ish nails on just one hand**** and am therefore able to confirm that rubbing down primer & long nails don’t mix, because I kept snagging/scraping the surface. Thus we have, by mistake, solved the age old conundrum of exactly why a disproportionate proportion of spray monkeys have nails chewed down to 2 fist-fulls of stubby little nothings. It’s not because, as we all might have suspected, they’re all washing-line-watching preverts who’re banned from local Zoos for unwarranted & partially illegal intimacy with the penguins, which very much upset the group from the Womens Institute. No, it’s because they ensure the perfect finish by not resembling a be-bladed Wolverine handling a 20 kittens.

In other news, a Dave has become an Ian. Usually an Ian is there when a Dave’s not. But the other day Dave (Ian) Dave pointed out I had the wrong oil filter fitted to DMW, and saved me ruining another crank, which would surely have ruined me. This, to my mind, justifies a new classification of mechanic called ‘The Ian’. I’m as shocked as you are but there you go!?!

* Sold to Astral, see post 132 & 184. He’s just bought a Reliant Robin…
** 'Quotient of Patience' is, by a stunning coincidence, the name of the next Bond movie. I do so hope the theme is really done by Adam Buxton this time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOH8_Vf_xIE

*** From sitting on the bike, as is the only sensible way of identifying sides.
**** At the weekends I am called Janet. You are all Janet too.

That Sibelius software?!? Industry standard my arse!?!

And now, my contribution to MFMC corporate graphicalisationistic identificationational strategismaliationarialistic (oh, I can't be bothered) -
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 03:17 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #213
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 388
Hey Planktonnne check out the cafe racer pics thread. look whose popped up
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #214
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
Hey Planktonnne check out the cafe racer pics thread. look whose popped up
Ah, I take it you mean http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1412 This the same Dermot that, once a year, encourages grown men to gather in a secluded carpark in the woods & compare their shiny knobs...

Edit - As you mentioned today, originally included in post 1397...

planktonnn screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 03:17 PM
Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #215
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

I've entered Astral in the races - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upAdcblpnk8
Old 10-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #216
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Nomenclature modification notice...

RE:DWM 02b (the boxer*) Ė Hmmmm. Iíve got a small weep from the open bottom of the clutch housing, onto the top rear of the sump, forward of the rear engine mounting bolt. See how it progresses but am obviously considering rear main seal or oil pump O ring. I think the simplest way to attack it would be swing-arm/wheel/shocks off as one, offering space to pull the gearbox, and then see whatís possible with the engine in place. But not yet. I donít want to get distracted off the STD1, so Iíll monitor it & see if it sorts itself out via that age old helper - accumulating gunge :-D Keep an eye on it anyway...

* Just to add confusion there has been a clarification. The K75 rat will henceforth
be referred to a DMW 01, the first early engine version of the Boxer, previously referred to as DMW, will hereafter be referred to as DMW 02, and the current late engine version will be DMW 02b. The original standard K75s that was sold on to Spaceboy will be considered as DMW 00. None of this matters, and is for no other reason than that I though things were getting a bit too un-confusing round here :-D

planktonnn screwed with this post 10-03-2009 at 03:06 AM Reason: Because I'm worth it...
Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #217
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
Hmmmm. Iíve got a small weep from the open bottom of the clutch housing, onto the top rear of the sump, forward of the rear engine mounting bolt. See how it progresses but am obviously considering rear main seal or oil pump O ring. I think the simplest way to attack it would be swing-arm/wheel/shocks off as one, offering space to pull the gearbox, and then see whatís possible with the engine in place.

I can picture you in there with the swing/arm shocks removed sitting on a small wooden box performing in an operating fashion and was thinking a set of stirups might help
Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #218
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS
... thinking a set of stirups might help
I'm taking it you mean the medical type rather than the cowboy variety, tho each would be apt in their own way
Old 10-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #219
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Colour wise the ever helpful PJ spotted a glaringly obvious scheme code sticker carrying the number 614. A cursory (1 page) googlette leads to http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/reds.htm which mentions the following:

Colour
Paint Code
Scheme Codes
Machines
Colorado Red (Metallic)
613 / 614 / 201
R65 Mono (all), R65RT Mono, R80 Mono, R80RT Mono, R100RT Mono
Old 10-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #220
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
I have just picked through a few of the posts here and will note. Over here, in order to legally install a Boyer in a Beancan, you must get either a variance or an easement approved. Although they will accept plans made up by the owner, few are approved unless a qualified BMW Agrimensor signs and certifies they meet minimum specifications. The Agrimensor is the Judge to the proletariat and his plans will go through like a young coprolite through a big honking bird.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 AM   #221
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT
I have just picked through a few of the posts here and will note. Over here, in order to legally install a Boyer in a Beancan, you must get either a variance or an easement approved. Although they will accept plans made up by the owner, few are approved unless a qualified BMW Agrimensor signs and certifies they meet minimum specifications. The Agrimensor is the Judge to the proletariat and his plans will go through like a young coprolite through a big honking bird.
You're using a random word generator right? The boyer in beancan was supplied premodified by a certificated seller, and is therefore both compliant & exempt at the same time, although I did do the coprolite/honking bird interface thing just for the fun of it. We all need a hobby yeah?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #222
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Having identified the paint required, now I just have to find a localish source...
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #223
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

It looks much more lustrous than the pics are able to show...
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #224
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Talking Workshop tips #96b -

+
Care should be taken to ensure harmony in the workshop...
+
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #225
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

+
If you need me, I'll be in the Caribbean Shedquarters -
+
Attached Images