ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.36%
Nasty? 28 12.90%
Nasty but nice? 160 73.73%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #2236
trophymoto
MACDADDY!

Oddometer: 443
I want to play.....

trophymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #2237
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,774
BAH HUMBUG!?!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #2238
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
The bodies are cleaned & lubed, but it's always been my impression that you don't want to fiddle with the factory set butterfly sync, and indeed what adjustables there are have spot marks via the ever reliable factory applied dab of paint. I've seen Ks dis-enabled thru such meddling and I just want the bloody thing to start when it comes to it.

With 170k miles the butterfly's will need tweeking ...even low mileage ones ... the linkages tend to bend where they overlap . No amount of bypass screw adjust will compensate .This is the part that makes them either run like a turbine or a chaff cutter .Once again it helps if you know how to adjust them .

So I was more concerned with scraping off 170k odd miles of crud and feeding light machine oil into wherever I could get it so that it slides around smoothly without signs of grit ingress, and making sure the throttle position sensor on the end of the shaft clicked both on and off. It's quite clearly both unwise and impossible to make any meaningful adjustments without the engine running, and as long as the assembly is sitting on my couch that's not going to happen.

tps on a two valve only shuts off the injectors while the bike is in gear and coasting on a closed throttle.WOT it's supposed to enrich slightly . Mine runs 1100 throttle bodies and the tps will not fit where the pm fits on an 1100

But then nothing else will happen either, here 'amongst the sundays' as the line said...

Inside the standard plenum there are stack inserts that would give a starting point, but there's also an input for a z shaped feeder pipe from the crankcase breather. This vapour/pressure action would be hard to simulate, unless perhaps you used a one into three manifold running from an air cleaner to the three throttle bodies... but in the end none of this is possible, and so instead I will appreciate what Helmut B.M. DoubleYew Esq. had the presence of mind to give me, and so go with the standard set up.

z hose ... remove if you what to see oil consumption go up . Disconnecting or bypassing from the plenum chamber just lets the crankcase pump it out , ask me how I know .A split in the hose just makes the bike run lean as the afm will not open to where it should .

Removing the airflow meter would also be a pain anyway. Quite possibly the ECU had a standard map should the meter fail, and a part of me remembers reading about this somehwhen, but did I really?, and could I find it again, and does it match with a faint memory of the K1 having a different meter?* What breadth is there in the injector timing and could you run a three cylinder power commander? Or could you go with whatever remains of what you once owned and see what holes were left? I've certainly seen K's with non original intake systems but I simply don't possess the resources or skills base to develop or debug a system of my own poor construct, and neither do I have the strength to struggle thru fucking the whole thing up, which as you well know is entirely inevitable.

afm fail or removed ... bike no worky ...

K1 or any 4valve runs a motronic not le-jetronic . Two totally different animals . Afm is tweakable with a screw driver and knowledge . 2v ecu does not have a 'map' . The ecu on a 2v is the only bike specific part of the whole injection system , the rest are car parts .

You caught me in a good mood ... bah humbug

Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #2239
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Crikey, actual informative responses Ah wait, there’s a drawback, most seem to refer to ‘skill’ or ‘knowledge’, BLAST!?!! Much as I thought though from the aforementioned splintered memory.

I can see that high mileage throttle bodies would need re-tweaking due to 'stretch', but you refer to use of that 'knowledge/skill' thing soooooooo - At this stage I’ve no doubt I’m best off leaving well enough alone, at the very least till I get the thing running.

I seem to recall the tps knocking out the fuel on a closed throttle until the revs go below something like 1500? I remember that on the day I rode into a roundabout the bike felt like it was pushing on slightly on a closed throttle, and I’ve since taken this to be perhaps a sign of failure of the tps to switch off on throttle closure, thus giving me slightly less engine braking. Still, if you were following events at that juncture you might recall that this did give me the delightful opportunity to piss in the car of the awful troll of a woman who was partially responsible for the redundancy*, of which I was to be notified the following day… ahhhhhh, happy times

Is it just me or is the tps full of fluid? Either way it’s adjusted so I get the requisite up & down clicks relative to the position of the idle adjust screw, which I’ve not touched since it came off the running bike, and the linkages are free of grit, which I could hear if I held the bodies to my ear. At this point I should say that though I understand the urge toward shiny, and I can certainly see how one could get dragged into polishing just to fill the time while waiting to be able to fit the throttle & plenum to the engine (which is still downstairs in the bike shed), I’ll be damned if I’ll be getting the metal polish out in the mean time. In fact I’m not even sure if I have any metal polish… Whether constrained by budget, or simply thru looking for something to do during a period of endless waiting for your circlips to come back from zinc plating, I can see how one might be drawn into taking the act of cleaning a part beyond the functional & into the vain pointless world of shiny gleam sparkle. But no.

I have a trolley that I’m intending to hump the engine onto & bring it up 3 floors in the lift which will be fine as even me & it together won’t equal one of the average residents of this block, so in the next day or two I’ll drag it up & start bringing it back together, using a clamp to drive the throttle stack down into the mounting rubbers (which unlike contemporary offerings from Honda et al are still in a usable condition), mount the air box**, and then make sure the head & cam bolts are tight, and see if the cam cover rubber gasket can be made fit for further use. A lot of it’s going to be guess work as neither the Haynes or Clymer K series manuals never made it out of the post divorce shed clearance, so, along with an airhead Clymer manual & a couple of welding books and a pair of R65 wheels etc., there’s some pretty expensive landfill somewhere hereabouts. But I'm entirely sanguine about it, it being no less than I deserved. Que Sera

I think the (hopefully) one remaining engine issue that I don’t have a plan in place for is rusty downpipes***. What’s there may be up to the job, but if I had another set (inc. collars & any exhaust gaskets) I’d certainly be fitting them, but the cheapest I have seen around right now are £40 or so, and I just don’t have the budget. Or indeed any budget. I’m then going to drop the gearbox/swingarm drivetrain off the frame and trolley it up to mate with the engine, and then bring the frame & front end up to lower onto the completed engine & drive in the room upstairs. Or if I’m slightly more sensible**** I’ll take the motor/drivetrain down 3 floors and mate it in the carpark…

I’ve had a split breather Z hose from the crankcase to the plenum chamber before, I think it was on the K75s, and the clips where a pain to get to on a fully assembled bike, meaning that I had to get the whole airbox out. But on the other hand that meant I could clear out all the gunk and gravel that finds its way below the airbox and sits on top of the block. I seem the recall that the pipe on this bike is good though, and a glance thru my XML purchase lists of the time show that during the time I was assembling the first incarnation of the Me-MW I bought a Z pipe, and that chimes with my memory of having fitted a new one at the time. I think. I’d be interested to understand the extent to which the crankcase breather might aid in producing a ‘volatile’ vapour in the plenum chamber pre the injectors?, or the oil vapour carried therein might lubricate the throttles semi 2 stroke stylee? It’s just uninformed thought, but it reminds me of the way the Airhead oil breather feeds into the air intake between the filter & the carb, particularly on the later models (i.e. The STD 1) which have swirl inducing arms on the end of the breather feeds that sit in the outflow on each side of the airfilter box. Some of the earlier Airhead models have a T junction which feeds the breather into each side, and some even earlier systems feed only to the right side.

NB – the preceding ‘info’ is from memory, for which there is of course no warranty.

* Having been thrown off by the kerb I’d hit the roundabout first, and then the bike followed me in and knocked me out, leading to the usual spontaneous bladder evacuation. So when I was sitting in her car on the way back into town I squeezed one out for the team If you’d been subject to her despicable & duplicitous personality you’d have done the same…
** Complete with airflow meter, which I cut from its hard connection to the main loom, and inserted a plug into the 4 lines.
*** Cue jokes re Cuntry & Western/Blues singers. Ha. Ha ha. Ha. Oh sod ya then

Pictured – K100 custom ‘Beast’ and @ Bikeexif
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 08:41 AM
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #2240
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Crikey, actual informative responses Ah wait, there’s a drawback, most seem to refer to ‘skill’ or ‘knowledge’, BLAST!?!! Much as I thought though from the aforementioned splintered memory.

What one man knows , another can learn . I suspect you have the necessary cognitive abilities .

I can see that high mileage throttle bodies would need re-tweaking due to 'stretch', but you refer to use of that 'knowledge/skill' thing soooooooo - At this stage I’ve no doubt I’m best off leaving well enough alone, at the very least till I get the thing running.

I seem to recall the tps knocking out the fuel on a closed throttle until the revs go below something like 1500? I remember that on the day I rode into a roundabout the bike felt like it was pushing on slightly on a closed throttle, and I’ve since taken this to be perhaps a sign of failure of the tps to switch off on throttle closure, thus giving me slightly less engine braking. Still, if you were following events at that juncture you might recall that this did give me the delightful opportunity to piss in the car of the awful troll of a woman who was partially responsible for the redundancy*, of which I was to be notified the following day… ahhhhhh, happy times

Is it just me or is the tps full of fluid? Either way it’s adjusted so I get the requisite up & down clicks relative to the position of the idle adjust screw, which I’ve not touched since it came off the running bike, and the linkages are free of grit, which I could hear if I held the bodies to my ear. At this point I should say that though I understand the urge toward shiny, and I can certainly see how one could get dragged into polishing just to fill the time while waiting to be able to fit the throttle & plenum to the engine (which is still downstairs in the bike shed), I’ll be damned if I’ll be getting the metal polish out in the mean time. In fact I’m not even sure if I have any metal polish… Whether constrained by budget, or simply thru looking for something to do during a period of endless waiting for your circlips to come back from zinc plating, I can see how one might be drawn into taking the act of cleaning a part beyond the functional & into the vain pointless world of shiny gleam sparkle. But no.

The tps contains nothing more than three contact points one of which transcribes an arc to make contact with the other two . It is controled via the main throttle shaft ...open throttle ...it turns the tps switch internaly .Nothing diabolical that involves dark incantations under a full moon in a state of semi undress .

I have a trolley that I’m intending to hump the engine onto & bring it up 3 floors in the lift which will be fine as even me & it together won’t equal one of the average residents of this block, so in the next day or two I’ll drag it up & start bringing it back together, using a clamp to drive the throttle stack down into the mounting rubbers (which unlike contemporary offerings from Honda et al are still in a usable condition), mount the air box**, and then make sure the head & cam bolts are tight, and see if the cam cover rubber gasket can be made fit for further use. A lot of it’s going to be guess work as neither the Haynes or Clymer K series manuals never made it out of the post divorce shed clearance, so, along with an airhead Clymer manual & a couple of welding books and a pair of R65 wheels etc., there’s some pretty expensive landfill somewhere hereabouts. Que Sera

*edit* after heat cycling over 170k just remove the stubs , reseal underneath . Leave them semi-loose and just push down gently ( stick some form of rubber grease ,shit just use vasoline if it's all you have on the insides of the stubs ) then retighten everything as this is the most likely time to "untweak" their respective balance .

I think the (hopefully) one remaining engine issue that I don’t have a plan in place for is rusty downpipes***. What’s there may be up to the job, but if I had another set (inc. collars & any exhaust gaskets) I’d certainly be fitting them, but the cheapest I have seen around right now are £40 or so, and I just don’t have the budget. Or indeed any budget. I’m then going to drop the gearbox/swingarm drivetrain off the frame and trolley it up to mate with the engine, and then bring the frame & front end up to lower onto the completed engine & drivein the room upstairs. Or if I’m slightly more sensible**** I’ll take the motor/drivetrain down 3 floors and mate it in the carpark…

I’ve had a split breather Z hose from the crankcase to the plenum chamber before, I think it was on the K75s, and the clips where a pain to get to on a fully assembled bike, meaning that I had to get the whole airbox out. But on the other hand that meant I could clear out all the gunk and gravel that finds its way below the airbox and sits on top of the block. I seem the recall that the pipe on this bike is good though, and a glance thru my XML purchase lists of the time show that during the time I was assembling the first incarnation of the Me-MW I bought a Z pipe, and that chimes with my memory of having fitted a new one at the time. I think. I’d be interested to understand the extent to which the crankcase breather might aid in producing a ‘volatile’ vapour in the plenum chamber pre the injectors?, Unlike a diesel combustion chamber there is not enough heat to ignite the oil mist . If that was the case your crankcase would be on fire just from normal running .It slightly dilutes the purity of the incoming air and therefore hinders 'optimal ' combustion but that is all . or the oil vapour carried therein might lubricate the throttles semi 2 stroke stylee? It’s just uninformed thought, but it reminds me of the way the Airhead oil breather feeds into the air intake between the filter & the carb, particularly on the later models (i.e. The STD 1) which have swirl inducing arms on the end of the breather feeds that sit in the outflow on each side of the airfilter box. Some of the earlier Airhead models have a T junction which feeds the breather into each side, and some even earlier systems feed only to the right side.

Unlike a boxer the K does not employ a crankcase breather 'valve' . The crank end of the Z is merely an open stub directly into the crankcase .The mist you see in the plenum is merely a by-product of the pistons going up-down and displacing the air volume in the crank .In a perfect world you would not want this mist to enter the induction side . In the grand scheme of things it is neither here nor there that it does .It is merely an emissions thing , take a look at the rear of a Meridan Triumph ... see that hose clamped to the rear guard ? ... just venting the mist to atmosphere .

NB – the preceding ‘info’ is from memory, for which there is of course no warranty.

* Having been thrown off by the kerb I’d hit the roundabout first, and then the bike followed me in and knocked me out, leading to the usual spontaneous bladder evacuation. So when I was sitting in her car on the way back into town I squeezed one out for the team If you’d been subject to her despicable & duplicitous personality you’d have done the same…
** Complete with airflow meter, which I cut from its hard connection to the main loom, and inserted a plug into the 4 lines.
*** Cue jokes re Cuntry & Western/Blues singers. Ha. Ha ha. Ha. Oh sod ya then

Pictured – K100 custom ‘Beast’ and @ Bikeexif
I have always enjoyed your musings and it is one of two threads that I look forward to seeing an addition to from your good self .
I'm in Australia , otherwise you could have my K service manual .

Have fun

FR700 screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 07:59 PM
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #2241
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Me - Er... My name is P Lankton, and I am a manualaholic.

Chorus - Hello Mr P Lankton.

Me - I belong to an imaginary motorcycle manufactuary, and it might be said we often feel the need for literature of an instructional nature.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #2242
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

"Update ! New title for EP`s...
Posted on Dec 28, 2011 at 09:12 AM

Having held talks with various indie labels, we have concluded that we will be releasing Templatus 1x (that carried the working title “embryonic Pt1”). As soon as we can schedule, in the new year.

In conjunction with downloadable versions via various media sites. And remixes via ACIDplanet.com (T.B.A.).

1/ subgHOST (Prequel)
2/ GHOST
3/ Dr Radioactive (Prequel)
4/ DARKNESS
5/ WhoreFM (Prequel)
6/ WHOREJAMM"

http://www.reverbnation.com/crasscar
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #2243
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
I suspect you have the necessary cognitive abilities
You've read this shit yeah?

Quote:
Nothing diabolical that involves dark incantations under a full moon in a state of semi undress
Awwwww... None-the-less I will continue with the stuff under the moon and all.

Quote:
see that hose clamped to the rear guard ? ... just venting the mist to atmosphere
Of course, still it always tweaks me when I see them aimed at the rear tyre/ire

You got a pic of your K?

planktonnn screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 08:21 AM Reason: space
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #2244
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Some modded Ks I've seen are uuuuuurgly, but -
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #2245
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Still, some shapes just work -
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #2246
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Or maybe a hybrid? Can somebody do all the actual engineering & just come back to me with the vast profits pls thnx?
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #2247
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

That's the ticket, now just pop it with my other bikes in the garage -
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #2248
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Then start on the R1200 Rats...
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #2249
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Are you on drugs of some kind? I notice that you've been at
the photoshop again; tell me, is that an authorised and licensed version,
or are you one of those cyber-criminals that the security services are so
concerned about....hmmmm?

I've completely run out of pics, which explains why there isn't one with this post.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #2250
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Hatcherly....I've just found this pic of an exploded ATE caliper.......my favourite part is
#11, the special clip that holds the pad in place. What's yours? Eh? EH??
Attached Images

pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote