ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.68%
Nasty? 28 13.21%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.11%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #226
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 393
Interesting development with regards to the "shiny one"
I now have a working rev counter
What on earth would you do with the sidecar outfit minus sidecar if you were to bid enough of you english pounds on it?? Havent you enough on your plate with bits of bike allover the place
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #227
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
Interesting development with regards to the "shiny one" I now have a working rev counter What on earth would you do with the sidecar outfit minus sidecar if you were to bid enough of you english pounds on it?? Havent you enough on your plate with bits of bike allover the place
Rev counter?!? Just change up when it stops pulling So I'm guessing you've been rooting about & found a feed off the loom? Don't forget to put a socket on the aux feed for that soon to be essential heated waistcoat And do be sure to fit a few spare aux sockets so admiring
connoisseurs can plug their waistcoats &/or bollock warmers in too whilst pointing & nodding at their reflections in your 'was airbox / now battery compartment' down @ the ye olde bike pub

If I were to acquire a sidecar outfit minus the sidecar for an acceptably low sum, which is unlikely, I might be inclined to stick it in the corner until another engine was ready, wap some profiled tyres on it & laugh for a considerable time. Or, I might dispose of the frame & keep the suspension & wheels for an update from DMW 02b to 02c. Or not. It'll go for more than I'm happy to pay, in which case I wouldn't want it anyway you know? Unless of course some kind soul were to buy it & wrap it & tie a big bow & ring my doorbell & run away.
Anyhoo, there's never enough to do, which is of course why polishing was invented.

As a general update I've been re-dressing the last areas on the STD1 fork stachions/stantions* and finishing the brakeless front end so that everything that's on the bike is finished & tightened. We can then sort thru the boxes & install everything else that's completed, and divvy up some of the tasks that'll bring started jobs to a close. I've also been conducting extensive experiments and can tell you that the middle of the lower fairing doesn't like filler primer, and seems to prefer plastic filler primer, as it is itself plastic. Still no closer to identifying a local source for the paint
(hint hint) mostly because I haven't looked.

I feel we've reached the 'not quite' stage. 'Let us fit the sidestand assembly which is ready to hand' we might say whilst possibly resembling two cider baffled tramps who've just mugged a postman for a spring. But no, we've nearly got everything we need to wap on the sidestand, but 'not quite'. 'Ok. Then we must proceed to xyz task, for everything required is ready to hand, this time'... But no. The abc needed for the xyz is nearly ready, but 'not quite'... and so it goes on. I can almost see how people end up re-plating the bloody washers**. There must be a point where that's the only thing you can get on with. The nearly all-powerful Build Progress Monitoring Committee met today & decided that such issues are a clear result of the 'renovation to roughly standard' approach - where you can miss out this or cut that on a 'not to original' renovation, you can't on the STD1. I'm never doing a standard one again

I have tabled a motion proposing that when the postman arrives with the unfeasibly large sponsorship cheque*** we should buy up great piles of old brit bikes & restore them to exactly as they came off the production line i.e. rip out the Norman Hyde mods, fit cams fashioned from cheese & cut off oil supply to the far end of the crank etc.

In other news I was recently in a village which might or might not have held a hill climb revival. It's difficult to tell, it seems there were a load of 4x4s in the way. Anyway, I was in the independent ironmongers talking to Gary**** & Mrs Gary, when, looking at my little paper bag, she suddenly said 'Ooh, that smells nice, bacon & egg?'. 'No, a book' I replied. 'Er, that was me' mumbled Gary while wafting his arse...

Pass the pills George?!?

* Delete as applicable according to your local dialect.
** Should one polish ones washers before and after plating?
*** Unless s/he's been robbed by 2 cider be-fuddled tramps, as per usual.
**** As all mechanics are Dave, so all little tool shop guys are called Gary.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #228
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn

In other news I was recently in a village which might or might not have held a hill climb revival. It's difficult to tell, it seems there were a load of 4x4s in the way.
Me and Dermot were there. We went up into the woods and hid from the sun that was trying to melt me.
And no Dermot didnt have his leather chaps on
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #229
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,618
Thumbs down

.i have resolved to actively seek out death
Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #230
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,075
Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #231
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
.i have resolved to actively seek out death
Is this after a visit from the blue plastic pig of doom I saw out side ur pad the other day.
I quickly went back inside and locked the doors until it moved on.

P.S I have found petes 4th foot rest
Old 10-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #232
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Er......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
Interesting development with regards to the "shiny one"
I now have a working rev counter
What on earth would you do with the sidecar outfit minus sidecar if you were to bid enough of you english pounds on it?? Havent you enough on your plate with bits of bike allover the place
Dirtyboydeadly, that's filthy English Pounds, please get it right, h'nkay?

Here's a pic of.....after a lot of chemtrail activity over the County of Oxfuckshire, I happened to notice that my motorcycle was looking a bit wobbly...thinking that it was a secret plot by the Powers That Be (PTB), I contacted the government, but they just told me to fuck off. It seems that, because the Irish decided to accept the Lisbon Treaty after the 2nd vote, the PTB have decided to do just what they like without a care in the world. Quite frankly, I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

pjcr12 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 05:57 AM
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #233
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Did someone slip stagehand a Mickey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.
Send this man an application form immediately.....he's in!

Here's a pic....

Old 10-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #234
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

P.S I have found petes 4th foot rest.....

For fux ache dirtyboydeadly, can't you show a little consideration?! I don't want just anyone to know I have four feet....and now the whole of America knows about it. Thanks a lot.

Here's a pic of planktonnn in a post box, actively seeking death.... he's not going to find it in a postbox but he just won't listen.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #235
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

OK...update with no silly pics

Drizzle....I hate drizzle. October in England and it's starting to get cold and damp; this is a problem when your shed isn't big enough for you, all your crap and the bike you're trying to work on...never mind the other bike you're supposed to be working on....still, went over to planktonnn's yesterday and fit a seat lock to the std1. Yes, that's right, a seat lock. We're at the stage of messing about with a load of jobs that, normally, we wouldn't bother doing on our own bikes, but with the std1 we're sticking to our build-policy and so, tomorrow, I'm ordering a whole lot of shit from a new seat, tank knee pads, front caliper and m/cyl repair kits, an ignition switch etc etc etc and, hopefully, chasing down a supply of paint code 201 Colorado metallic red which will enable planktonnn to put some colour on his superbly prepared and primered fairing parts....that boy rubs 'em down real good. We just want to get the show on the road and never do it again. Seriously. Preparing a bike to this level of finish is boring, boring, boring. We like the spannering, we like the degreasing, we like the mechanicals very much indeed, but the near-renovation side of things, the just-so getting it right to appeal to the discerning prospective BMW buyer who will pay top money for a very good standard airhead is....well, not quite our cup of tea.
Being bone-heads though*, we're determined to finish it properly and, while I'm moaning, both of us realise that it's a useful project to work through but, as I say, never again. Not unless we get commissioned to do it with someone else's money...now that would be nice. Kind of like an OCC thing, you know? "Send the tins out for paint" Yay! "Vinnie, make a new doodab out of stainless...fuck the cost" Yay! "Powdercoat everything" Yay!
Doing it all in a couple of back yards and small sheds as the winter approaches is, obviously, not ideal but we're very close now to a running, rebuilt bike and, paint supplies being forthcoming, a nice shiny red one at that. The next bike I do, I want to build a big nasty off-road airhead sidecar outfit as a alternative to this process. Y'know, the kind of thing you can hit with a hammer, and it won't matter....my own, on-going airhead project, is stalled on a front brake set-up. I've got the /5 tank which isn't really happy with the undertank ATE master cylinder, so I've got an R1100RT handlebar m/cyl arriving this week which I'll bastardise onto the single ATE caliper....other than that, I have to dismantle and fettle a pair of standard rear shocks, fit my shed-made idiot lights/ignition switch gizmoid, secure the single seat and I'm good to vroom....can't wait. Right now, I wish I hadn't taken a swerve off the game earlier in the year, and I'd have my bike up and running, but what you gonna do? Keep on keeping on, I suppose......adios amigos.

* Obviously I can only speak for myself. Planktonnn may not be happy with the designation. He's still a bone-head, but he may not be happy with me alluding to it in public.

pjcr12 screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 04:10 PM
Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #236
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Bloody Norah!

What a lot of words in that last post....must verbally economise...here's pic of a major development in the progress of the std1's build...the lower airfilter box rejoicing in it's 2nd coat of satin black. I tried to get velvet black, or even cashmere black but the sales assistant wouldn't believe they were real paint colours....anyway, the airfilter box. Another coat or two and it's yet another crucial element out of the way. Nirvana beckons...

Old 10-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #237
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

In other news.....

In a parallel, but strangely different, part of the universe, today amidst the dreaming spires, the question of the idiot lights arose....

You think you know electricity, and then it just fucks with your mind. Because I am a tightwad I refuse to pay a fortune for standard clocks on my bike. Also, I think they're too big and fat. So, I paid 99p for a little idiot light block which was then affixed to the headlight shell. Voila...this will get it's own teeny-weeny little flyscreen just as soon as something like that comes into my possession.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #238
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

And that's not all...

Not wishing to hack the loom too badly (and preserving the multi-pin connector block that normally fits to the back of the speedo in case I ever change my mind about these clocks being too big and fat or, more nicely, I get a whole load of money from somewhere) I decided to splice.....

Splicing's great..but very easy to slide a scalpel through the fleshy top of the index finger of your left hand. I wasn't going to go into too much detail on this, but I've just changed my mind so, cutting into the main artery that would have fed the instrument console, we carefully expose the individual strands of wire...ten in all, and every single one of them does something. Yeah. There's yer white (high beam), yer blue (charge lamp) and 8 other ones I can't remember right now...but, the point is, I spliced those fuckers good. Well, not all of them because I didn't need all of them, just enough to give me a little light for oil pressure, high beam, indicators and charge. Here's a pic of the connector plug (A) dangling in the operating theatre with it's entrails on view (B)...

Old 10-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #239
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

And also....

Using the most up-to-date wire twisting techniques, and staring many times at the wiring diagram, I eventually got the block of 3 lights fixed onto the headlamp to give me high beam, oil pressure and indicator blinkage satisfactorily, which was nice, quickly followed by an equally nice orangey-red ign/charge warning light, housed in it's very own little plastic housing...here's a pic of it glowing brightly...

Old 10-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #240
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,075
You cant get cashmere black over there?

Hell, just send me a few pounds of those pound things and I'll ship you some stuff that is Pure cashmere. Blacker than black. I can get it in velvet, too, if you like, but those cost quids.