ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.36%
Nasty? 28 12.90%
Nasty but nice? 160 73.73%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #2701
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,750

http://www.rolandsands.com/wp/2012/06/18/yamaha-tmax
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #2702
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

In the BEARs Championship, (c) to originator etc.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/newsfil...cing_2011.html
Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #2703
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Part the something.

Anyway, back to what is now the day before yesterday times two or three.

The MOTO2 bunch threw themselves all over the place in their FP1, and the weather continued to work against my intention to trudge round the track, and frankly I was exceedingly lazy too. So in the lunch break I laid out on the grandstand floor & had a snooze whilst various parachutists twizzled, Randy Mamola + guests hurtled by, and nearby groups of blokes bloked as they are built to.

The afternoon sessions were dry for the most part except the odd spatter of passing minor drizzle, but the track was obviously still very green and the wind was still gusting. As the main track action came to an end I worked my way back up to opposite the pits, and tho/ough I’d thought I might stay for the other support classes I instead resolved to make a move medium early as it seemed to me that the weather would close back in and I’d find myself riding home in the rain, which I didn’t fancy. So as many arrived with tents or cara/campervans to begin their weekend, I worked my way out and onto the road for the mainly uneventful journey back. Mainly uneventful apart from the bit where I was nearly rear-ended by a double-decker bus.

And you will know me by the wreckage of my passing.

The Roads between Fuckingem and Wingelow are in the main delightfully wide and sweeping, and once, a very long time ago, formed part of the regular homeward route for PJCR12.05departingfromplatformseven from an Arts Centre we both worked in, generally leaving around 10 at night. Way back then when video cameras were both expensive & bulky we’d played with the idea of bolting one on the side of his car (a big old Ford Granada I think?) and recording his late night race thru/ough the darkness. Personally I’d like to have seen both headlights replaced by projectors running film of a daytime version of the route, and we’d then see if he could match pace to project the filmed road & verge features onto themselves. But anyway, this was waaaaay before affordable high-lumens electronic projectors so admittedly it would have all ended up being a bit bulky, and anyway he’d had to have stopped halfway to change reels. Maybe I’ll take advantage of modern miniaturisation, perloin & fit an HD Minicam, replace my headlight with a projector & give it a go…

But on this particular journey, as I tootled my way thru/ough the narrow clogged village pictured in Pt One I took note that parked traffic made the bottleneck even more bottlenecked, and as I approached a pedestrian crossing I was aware there was nothing close behind me, so slowed for a young man preparing to cross, braking & blipping down thru/ough the gears. He walked onto the crossing, but halfway across started to run back from whence he came looking behind me and I heard the hiss of air brakes to my rear. You may recall that I don’t run mirrors so I craned back over my right shoulder and saw a double-decker splayed across the opposite side of the road, which was luckily empty of on-coming traffic, ending up roughly a foot behind my rear wheel. The bus would have missed me even had he not swerved over onto the other side, but his complete refusal to meet my eye clearly indicated he knew he was entirely a twat for being an inattentive twat, what a twat. There was a good five seconds between my braking and subsequently coming to a stop, and another five before the bus came to a halt. I’d used my front brake (pre ’86 bikes need only one brake switch, and the rear doesn’t trigger the light) and the exhaust sound was enough to draw his attention. Thus, tho/ough it seems perhaps I protest too much, the bus was quite obviously travelling at a speed inappropriate for the sedate village conditions without due care & attention as I believe the phrase goes. Tho/ough this is of course my version, it’s perhaps supported by the swathe of roadside locals wildly gesticulating at the errant busman…
Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #2704
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
I always make a point of wearing gloves...

Old 06-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #2705
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

BMW Motorrad Italia

Ti piace conoscere le storie dall’inizio? Allora ripercorri con la BMW Motorrad Community Italia le origini dei più grandi miti BMW. GS Story: dopo i primi prototipi degli anni ‘70 l’avventura prosegue con il debutto del 1980 al Salone di Colonia. Iscriviti e scopri la storia completa su http://www.bmw-mci.it/life/redazione/iscriviti_alla_bmw_motorrad_community_italia.html

NB: As a general note all rights to rights holders always
Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #2706
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

It is my duty to inform you, as prescribed by relevant workshop guidelines, that it is now one day since our last safety incident. Herein follows my formal report:

I recently reattached the CX500 fly-screen above the DMW headlight, and when I say attached, I mean liberally taped on. This procedure necessitated the repositioning of the warning light box containing a PCB & LEDs, the only one connected being the high-beam as that’s the only one required to pass the MOT inspection. The LED had just stopped working anyway so a remedy was required. During this process of digging in to the issue one of the crimp connectors off a tail from the box became detached*, and at that point perhaps showed itself to be the cause of the LED having departed this life? This all seemed like it was going to be broadly simple enough, however access was an issue and while shifting the hacked up loom about two further connectors revealed themselves to be not entirely uninsecure, thru/ough the action of also falling off**. For flexibility of wiring permutations I hadn’t soldered the connectors at the original build, and I guess I could argue that all in all they’ve lasted pretty well, so…

The incident was thus caused by one or any of these detached wires grounding in some combination or another, and so there was, cough, a brief electrical fire when I turned to full lock. More smokey/melty than flames or sparks, and solved by killing the ignition before too much melt occurred, but irritating none-the-less, and more so as I was a few miles from ‘The Place’. As an on the spot solver/get homer I joined the latter pair of wires to reinstate some form of charging circuit, then wrapped the wires in insulating tape from the tool/utility belt selection in the Polis configuration tank, and then made my way back to this discomforting hovel to sort it with the aid of my little electrics toolbox. Unfortunately tho/ough, once wires were cut back & stripped & re-connected it became apparent that the original idiot-light box was non functional, as confirmed by a variety of meter & battery fed tests. Luckily I had another set of LEDs upstairs (as previously used on the Me-MW), so I was able to see which one of the lights on that unit I could get to respond and plumb it/tuck it in place.

All is now seemingly in balance in the electrics of the boxer (infamous last words?), and during the various few miles I had to put in today all appeared resolved. And so like the fool tempting the bull I dared to take advantage of the ‘getting a thing done’ quasi-momentum that I’d gotten up and swapped out the rear light unit. As previously described a portion of the multi LEDs in the incumbent unit had passed out on parade. This task too as seemed to go just peachy, and thus far it all still works. Nothing is burning or breaking or blowing up.

So a new rear light, a reinstalled screen, a near new non-gentlemans-tread style unsquared off rear tyre/ire, and comparatively sensible looking/not on fire wiring – things really aren’t looking good for the yet to be confirmed ‘Rat/Scrap’ category I have lobbied for at tomorrow nights local classic bike show of the year, otherwise referred to as The Shiny Knobs Night.

* For what it’s worth it was the feed into the circuit.
** The charge light bypass loop, meaning no power being put into the battery. I tend towards the view that this anomaly, where a standard set up means a blown charging bulb kills the entire charging system, is the primary fault in the model design?

planktonnn screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 10:02 AM Reason: missing h missing un
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #2707
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.oldracer.co.uk/gallery.html

BEARS win at Snetterton...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #2708
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Well, the organisers steadfastly persist in refusing a Rat/Scrap category, which I guess is their right, but somebody did win a trophy for their recent Firestorm crash
Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #2709
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://tricyclecars.0forum.biz/t68-g...pion-bmw-k1100
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #2710
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic...TOPIC_ID=22004
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #2711
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://youcanttouronasingle.blogspot...eam-racer.html

http://motor-racing-art.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=67

http://www.windlesidecars.co.uk/inde...d=38&Itemid=58

In http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...51908&page=448 somewhere

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...mw_sidecar.htm

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/view...t=727&start=15

And here it is again, tho/ough I still can't find further info

http://pichaus.com/classic-racing-si...f36e50e1b299f/
Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #2712
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

(c) hOgwash @ Fort Sutter
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #2713
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Dredd 2012 trailer 1 (now offline)

planktonnn screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 06:04 AM
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #2714
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Congrats, Sir.
This is the most extensive and insane thread I have ever seen not just on a BMW forum, but on ANY forum!
I started at the back and moved in reverse chronological order which makes it even more insane.
It is so huge that I even came across myself, as well as many people I know. It is like a history of BMW airheads of the last 40 years, all in one thread.

Thank you for costing my company a few hundred dollars on this hot friday afternoon!

cheers
/bill
1958 R50
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #2715
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801

Interesting planktomaximus....any chance you can hunt down a pic of the left hand side of the bike?
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote