ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.18%
Nasty? 30 13.64%
Nasty but nice? 161 73.18%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
I am doing a deal with planktonnn with regards to starting a number two bmw airhead project as he has a 1977 frame begging to be sawed up and modded.

Any way i'm late for work so I'll be off now
When you say 'doing a deal' surely you mean 'handing over all my cash' ?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #17
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
You've made it into my top three Britishisms with that one:

1) Snog
2) Bimble (thanks, E-Kev)
3) Toodle Pip
How the blazes did you know I'd had a bimbling snog with a Lass we round here call Toodle Pip? Have you been following me?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Jerry tossing cabbage crates over the briney, what what?

Stiff upper lip and think of england!
Our Jeremy seems to have moved out of the cabbage tossing business, and these days just buys whole countries instead, it's so much simpler.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #19
helgaairhead

Oddometer: n/a
I dooo have a lot more trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
Now, here's a little quiz - Which one of us has a sump full of metal cornflakes & glitter? That's right. ME!?!
I'M THE ONE WITH MOST BROKEN PARTS ON A RTW READY BIKE.

I had to replace it all, a bike clamed to be " Ready for an OZ trip or RTW, whenever you like Mate), ending up sending me straight to the Hell of BMW's worse nightmare. With a limited time on a straight budgett this ended up really well, specially when i was told that the guy before the previous owner had discovered the problems, sold the bike cheap as a result of this. Previous owner rode the bike 10.000k's with a rat motor, added 1500$ aus and sold the broken bits(bike) to me.

http://picasaweb.google.no/helgaairh...27014084606754

Whole story here:

http://picasaweb.google.no/helgaairh...akar846283429#

Helge
www.helgaairhead.wordpress.com
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

So, The Standard One is mostly stripped. The fairing will need a reasonable amount of patching & painting. We'd like to avoid a full respray as it would cost too much, and in some senses would be untrue to the bike. It's done 80k, it doesn't have to look brochure fresh. The fork stanchions are a bit tatty, but recoverable, or they'll be replaced from the spares department (my shed). Front disk seems almost new, pads & caliper seals may be replaced, depending on what I find when I get in there. Single disk at the front was standard for this model/frame number, though I might like to stick another on if possible. Even one brembo beats two ATE's anyway It's a drum rear, which unlike the disk rear, does actually provide some retardation. Not that we're lacking that here.

The frame is sound, though there's slightly more surface rust on the rear of the frame and on the subframe than I might have expected. We suspect a waterlogged seat under a dripping drain, or a man with a watering can & a vendetta against properly fabricated frames. It's all simple to clean & coat though and now I've degreased it things look ok. There was a crack on one end of the pressed steel strap across the top of the subframe, which Shinyboyspankly has been kind enough to stick together with his magic metal melt melding skills. The subframe should be cleaned & coated today, and will be placed in the assembly area (my shed).

The swing arm needs a little cosmetic attention and maybe new bearings, but the driveshaft & bevel box seem very good with almost zero wear or play. The rear shock seems good with no leaks or bounce, though we've got a spare anyway. It needs a new rear tyre (that's tire for those that need translations). The gearbox seems very smooth, though beyond inspection, the only way to know if the drivetrain's ok is when we run it. All seems good so far though.

The block doesn't turn over freely, i.e. plugs out/allen key in rotor bolt. It will turn, and keeping in mind that it's sat untouched for four years then such stiffness might perhaps be expected, but my guess is an unhappy rear crank seal & main bearing, as there's a lot of glooped up oil in the bell housing. All the engine/transmission/brake fluids are clean, as if the thing was serviced before being parked up, due we are told to an electrical problem. The next step is to pull the barrels off to see if the pistons or rings are bound, or at least to elliminate that as the source of the stiffness, pull off the sump to check for metal mess, and get to the big ends & mains to see what's causing the problem. We'd rather not have to change the mains &/or big ends, but it seems I'm going to have a practice run with my other airhead anyway

Overall it still seems a pretty good prospect, and the cash we'd recoup from sale of the stainless exhaust system & top box/pannier cases would cover what the whole thing cost us anyway. Sometimes I wonder why I bother starting anything like this, but everything will be fine once I get my lobotomy.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #21
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,517
I'm sure the engine not spinning well couldnt have anything to do with the ferrous cornflakes in the sump either?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
I'm sure the engine not spinning well couldnt have anything to do with the ferrous cornflakes in the sump either?
Ah, hang on, crossed wires. The cornflake sump is from my other boxer. We've not taken the sump off The Standard One yet. It's raining
Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #23
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

oops! my mistake. Carry on!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #24
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,720
I was going to suggest that a swollen clutch might be dragging and asking you to turn some gearjuice, until I saw the photo......

Next-most-likely suspect is going to be rings/jugs.... not likely to be bearings, eh? A quick pull of the heads will tell you pretty quickly, without having to pull the sump. An '85 will have the Nikasil jugs, which are pretty tough and unless major pitting is an issue, likely be fine. Lots of folks pop in new rings without work to the jugs, but you will want to read up on the vagaries of the Nikasils for your own comfort/edification......

Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #25
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
I was going to suggest that a swollen clutch might be dragging and asking you to turn some gearjuice, until I saw the photo......

Next-most-likely suspect is going to be rings/jugs.... not likely to be bearings, eh? A quick pull of the heads will tell you pretty quickly, without having to pull the sump. An '85 will have the Nikasil jugs, which are pretty tough and unless major pitting is an issue, likely be fine. Lots of folks pop in new rings without work to the jugs, but you will want to read up on the vagaries of the Nikasils for your own comfort/edification......

Presumably with these guys a bastard file will take care of any cylinder rust.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Presumably with these guys a bastard file will take care of any cylinder rust.
Surely a bastard file would be too fine for our purposes, I was thinking TNT a la mythbusters & the clogged up cement lorry?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #27
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
I was going to suggest that a swollen clutch ......
The clutch certainly was dragging, because with the gearbox on, bike in gear and the clutch lever arm wedged full forward to disengage the plates*, you still couldn't turn the back wheel. The starter was off so we could see the plates moving, apparently fully separating, but we still couldn't turn the wheel beyond the take up in the driveshaft shock. Once off the gearbox turned smoothly from both input & output ends, so that's fine as far as we can tell at this stage in the process** We could lever the crank round on the teeth of the starter drive ring, though there was some debate about the length of lever my co-constructor was allowed access to as I have heard the sound 'snap' on far too many occasions to welcome it into my ear again. He was gentle though, as gentle as a horny giraffe on a rocking horse, and it shifted round but there's still a tightness. I've plooked penetrating free-all magic fluid into the cylinders and we'll see how it progresses***

I'm sort of leaning toward bound rings, but the barrels will have to come off as part of getting to any bearings anyway, and if we discover the problem at that stage, and can flap*** the big ends & rotate the crank, then we know we're ok. If the crank doesn't rotate it could still be something locking in the cam line?, but if we disassemble in the right order the problem will become apparent through the elimination of what isn't broken. Probably

My other boxer ('DMW') is a '78 block with post '81 nikasil barrels****, in a '79 chassis with a K100 front end. I'm thinking the nikasils on this new one will be ok, but all will become clear when we get the barrels off. I don't know what I'm doing as I failed metalwork, but I'm trying to follow a sequenced chain from 'most likely', thru 'if not, then it could be...', to 'ah, there it is' Or, as we say roun' these 'ere parts:

We go toward by coming from.

Tatty Bye.

* A shortage of nipples was to blame. Apparently not a problem Lily Allen has to face?
**Process? Hahahaha!?!
*** A technical term used in the measurement of 'Not Stuck'
**** Don't use the rubber rings on the skirt or it won't fit down, the pre '78 crankcase mouths are very slightly smaller? I found the rubber ring just sheared and the base of the barrel leaked.

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-26-2009 at 12:00 PM
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,720
Cam chain is certainly in the "after we pull the jugs" category, I would even say after you pull the pan. Cam chain is pretty straightforward with a tensioner, two gears and an endless chain... not likely to be the source of any particular friction...valve train again not likely to be a big problem, but pulling the heads and jugs will tell you more in that department.....

Another thought: take a look inside the front cover and see if perhaps the alternator rotor has "swollen" to the point that it binds with the armature.... again, not real likely, but very easily dealt with. Make sure you have the proper hardened rotor-puller bolt, and then the rotor pops off (should?) easily....

Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #29
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
Now, here's a little quiz - Which one of us has a sump full of metal cornflakes & glitter? That's right. ME!?!
U want to keep ur corn flakes in the packet, not ur sump silly
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #30
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
U want to keep ur corn flakes in the packet
I am walking toward your frame with a hacksaw and hammer...