ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.62%
Nasty? 28 13.15%
Nasty but nice? 156 73.24%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #31
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 397
Right i'm coming over and i'm bringing back up ( the wife )
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #32
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
Right i'm coming over and i'm bringing back up ( the wife )
I'm still waiting
Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #33
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgaairhead
I'M THE ONE WITH MOST BROKEN PARTS ON A RTW READY BIKE.
Thanks, I'll take a good look thru those with a large coffee
Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #34
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb Re: The Standard One

This afternoon we took the barrels off the new one, and as we hoped the crank turns v freely now. The r/hand piston had, as suspected, bound into the barrel after 4 years sitting in a salt bog*, and in the end the simplest way to free it was to remove the studs & twist the barrel until it became free and could be pulled off. A couple of sections of the nikasil plating had already come away, independent of the piston stickage, so the barrel is in the 'pretty useless for now' store (my shed). It looks like the bike will go back to the 800 it was born as, because we have a paired set of 800 populated heads/nikasil barrels/pistons/carbs etc. in the spares department (my shed) which need checking but should be ok, and will accept the stainless downpipes we already have.

This is called 'Having a great pile of spare shit that may someday come in useful'.

Next, it seems the clutch/flywheel need pulling off & the rear crank oil seal needs checking, as it all looks a bit 'oily in the bellhouse' if you know what I mean. It may be fine but I think we've agreed it's better to check it while we can get at it. The clutch assembly & flywheel will need to be marked to retain their balanced state, if indeed they are balanced. The subframe & pannier racks are off being stripped & painted, and once the engine is out of the frame then it and the frame can be scrubbed up too. Then we can start sorting the electrics & reassembling it all. That all sounds a little too simple doesn't it?

Overall it's moving at a good pace, with no major problems so far. I would have liked to have got on with the fairing repairs today, but I was slightly tied up with the other boxer and its disintegrating big end shells, which I'll tell you about later.

Goodnight Corporal.

* It might as well have been.

PS. I have broken my Brane

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-27-2009 at 02:45 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #35
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
snip

This is called 'Having a shed .

snip
Fixed.

btw, do look into the (o-ring) seal on the oil pump whilst you are behind the flywheel...easy fix, cheap, and the actual source of a lot of "main seal oil leaks"

Old 08-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #36
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
snip ... btw, do look into the (o-ring) seal on the oil pump whilst you are behind the flywheel... snip
Will do, cheers
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #37
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

When struggling with stuck things, or other things that piss me off, I think of this picture to give me a little cheer. Maybe it'll do the same for you?
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #38
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Bluhduh Pt 1 - Now where's all them cornflakes from?

So, the problem with the other boxer. At this point my camera has just landed in Washington DC, so pics are not possible, but oh - what a mess.

The left 'jug' all came off easily enough, but the conrod was tight on the big end. Not stuck, but would stand on its own, which as it turns out, is a really good way of avoiding that whole 'conrod/crankcase mouth bang/dent' thing. The right jug was reluctant to come off, so I detached the head & found the piston was happy enough to move in the bore, so it was stuck somewhere else. Cue levering & prodding. Stopping, trying again. Repeat. Repeat again harder. I removed the studs, to get a bit more movement but it still wouldn't shift. Eventually it came off, though on the way it destroyed any reputation I ever had for ‘gentle’

Now bearing in mind that this bike (below) is a ’78 block with post ’81 barrels, it seems as if the back end of the bevelled edge on the crankcase mouth lip has very slightly folded into the empty o-ring groove on the piston skirts, and was discouraging the barrel from coming out past the groove. That, in case you wondered, is not groovy. I never could get the set-up to seal successfully while using the o rings, and was eventually let into the secret after 3 weeks of trying, and it has sealed brilliantly without o rings for the last 3.5k miles. Getting it out however was another thing, and it’ll need some work before the cylinder goes back in. But I have to deal with the wider problem before it’s time for that.

The left conrod was as described, but the right had play. Plenty of play, about a shells depth of play I'd say. I would have had a look at the crank journals straight away, but as is the way with these things the universe and whatever forces operate therein decided to fuck with me, and then fuck with me some more. I hate those torx heads, and certainly the set of bits I have are utterly useless when it comes to the conrod bolts, or K75 head bolts, or anything. But then Dratty-boy-dudely arrived, took his ’77 airhead frame away so I couldn’t vent my anger on it, and returned with actual tools that work!?! And lo the bolts they did shift-eth unto release, and there was much rejoicing amongst the tribe of Bm W, though all were in bed by 10.30 and did not argue with their Nanny, oh no.

You see, stopping, it’s the right thing to do. I could have not stopped. But I had to. All the other times I didn’t I right royally borked it up big stylee. So, at that moment just pre-damage you should stop. I do. I will now in fact.

Pt 2 – ‘The horror, the horror’ coming soon to a thread near you.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #39
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
I can't wait for part two of the act. Right now I have visions of Egor standing over his Frankenbike saying "It's alive...ALIVE!!!"
Old 08-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #40
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper ST4
"It's alive...ALIVE!!!"
Ah, well, I wouldn't be calling the undertakers quite yet, but you're right, it is all a bit 'rampaging villagers with pitchforks & flaming torches' around our way
Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #41
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Laugh

The Standard One on arrival ...
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #42
Jasper ST4

Looks like she was an RS or RT in her former life.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #43
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Pissed 'The horror, the horror' trailer 1

Ladies & Gentlemen, please be upstanding & raise your glasses to my dead crankshaft & conrod.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #44
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,676
A moment of silence..................................

OK, time's up... where are the pics?????

Old 08-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #45
Jasper ST4

Gulp...is ...it ...gonna be....really gory and all?