ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.18%
Nasty? 30 13.64%
Nasty but nice? 161 73.18%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #4726
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Running a front on the rear

Three issues, neither involve catastrophic failure in my experience.
1. the tread design for fronts is different front to rear, obviously with exceptions. K70 and K81 come to mind.
2. more importantly, carcass construction. Rear tires are designed to cope with acceleration, while fronts are designed to cope with deceleration.
3. Tread compound may be softer for the front than the rear. Not always since you'll find plenty of tires that are marked Front on one side and Rear on the other.

So, if you are planning to run a dedicated rear tire on the front, turn it around to make if a better fit.

Hope this helped.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #4727
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,905

Large original @ http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/img/p...h_calendar.jpg

"Our BMW K100RR has taken the top prize in the Carole Nash 'Built in Britain' competition, in the Pro-Builder class!"

+ more @ here

planktonnn screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 11:12 PM Reason: Extra link...
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #4728
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Just in case you didn't spot the links at the bottom of the previously referred to article, or were too lazy to click them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EDipQI1aE3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DuEPOe8ukck
Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #4729
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
...I've reason to believe that someone broke into my house, and got access to my computer, where they erased the 'm' of the .com at the end of your email address...
Ah, that may well be, but I've a feeling it's because I have used nearly all the world stock of available m's by going Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm a lot.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #4730
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Three issues, neither involve catastrophic failure in my experience.
1. the tread design for fronts is different front to rear, obviously with exceptions. K70 and K81 come to mind.
2. more importantly, carcass construction. Rear tires are designed to cope with acceleration, while fronts are designed to cope with deceleration.
3. Tread compound may be softer for the front than the rear. Not always since you'll find plenty of tires that are marked Front on one side and Rear on the other.

So, if you are planning to run a dedicated rear tire on the front, turn it around to make it a better fit.

Hope this helped.
Ta :-) All seems to make sense to me, tho/ough I think I may have 'mis-spoken' in my original post on this matter and erroneously indicated running a rear on the front, whereas it would be a front on the rear. I guess the issues you refer to still stand, but facing to the inverse.

Anyhoo, I've a feeling I'll be taking the 'front for front, rear for rear' approach, cutting meals for a while & seeking a pair of 2nd user tire/yres from Motorworks at something around 25 each plus carriage.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #4731
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

I'll just stick this here for myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4eUibFQKJqI

Carry on.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #4732
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #4733
howellhandmade
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Hmmm. seems I've deleted all my posted pics in the entire thread. Bollocks. I thought by deleting pics from my attachments 'quota', I'd get rid of the big red bar that forbad me from attaching a jpg of my hoodie. Now, all my lovely pics have disappeared, and I still can't post any new pics. Someone's gonna die, I just haven't worked out who it's gonna be yet......fucking bollocks. In fact, double fucking bollocks. Since when did we have 'quotas'?! I never knew about fucking quotas; if I'd have known about quotas, I'd have gone somewhere else to post my shit. Like a Harley site or something. I bet they don't have fucking quotas; they wouldn't stand for that kind of crap I'm sure. They don't have time, for one thing, with all that ridin' and livin', to have to mess around with fucking quotas......
Ahhhh, so THAT'S what happened to the pics. Not yet a third of the way through this thread, but there's that mystery solved. For the last 70-odd pages I've been wondering if it was a fit of pique, or a change of heart. It was a Harley-Davidson hoodie, how ironic is that? I, too, mourn the lovely pics.
howellhandmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #4734
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Yes, it's interesting isn't it. I first came across it in a BBC upload* which seems to have disappeared from Youtube. I think I posted it waaaaaaaay back? The most frequently listed now seems to be various uploads of a History Channel prog which spends most of its time talking about other devices, whereas the BBC prog was entirely dedicated to the device.

* From which I believe my previous link comes?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #4735
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellhandmade View Post
Ahhhh, so THAT'S what happened to the pics. Not yet a third of the way through this thread, but there's that mystery solved. For the last 70-odd pages I've been wondering if it was a fit of pique, or a change of heart. It was a Harley-Davidson hoodie, how ironic is that? I, too, mourn the lovely pics.
I think the sordid truth is that the pics were removed after legal action by Sybil & Cybil at the office? I imagine enough time has passed now that they will refrain from hitting me under the Superinjunction for even mentioning it...

planktonnn screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 04:06 PM
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #4736
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,566
Here's an entire program dedicated to it:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2364988981/

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #4737
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Here's an entire program dedicated to it:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2364988981/
Most thoughtful, however unfortunately restricted for my region
Old 11-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #4738
howellhandmade
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Yesterday -- our (Yanks') Thanksgiving holiday, appropriately enough as I am now even more thankful -- I set myself to read this thread from where I had last stopped nibbling (around page 80) to the end. As it got to be past midnight I may have started skipping a bit and not giving all the pics and links the attention they deserved, but I remained fairly attentive because I didn't want to miss the part where pjcr12 finally got paid for his spleen and bought a nice bike, or the part where planktonnn was surprised with a humanitarian award for his innovative music therapy benefitting at-risk youth; an award which, atypically of such things, carried a hefty cash prize that allowed him to take a holiday to somewhere warm and sunny, where his serotonin level re-set itself and he found a nicely preserved K75.

Or something. Maybe humanitarian awards and lottery winnings belong in the same category these days, but I really did expect the spleen settlement to come through. I'll keep checking, and hope for the best for both of you.
howellhandmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #4739
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Well, thanks for your concern, howellhandmade, but I'm afraid that life is still
shit, and there have been no payments for either spleens or services rendered to the youth music service. In fact, things get progressively worse, but being the people we are, both planktonnn and I strive to wear a happy smile as we forge ahead through the turd-boulders of what passes for existence here in the UK.....
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #4740
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
...turd-boulders...
It's not often (if ever) that something actually makes me LOL, but that did