ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.68%
Nasty? 28 13.21%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.11%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #4771
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,618
A couple of weekends ago I ventured out with a most disreputable fellow. It was my Friday night and it went like this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9KNqjLCr6OQ
Old 12-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #4772
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
I think what we have to realize is that all those things that were near and dear to us as kids and young adults are now really and truly antiques. Same as our bikes, any survivors will only go up in perceived value... ( and price, given the monetary systems slow demise ) You could buy things at the store for a penny or nickle when I was a kid. Had to make that $0.25 allowance last a week. Young people who look at my 1970s BMW now, are seeing the same thing I saw when, for example, an old guy in a Model T rode through town in the 1950s. Perhaps some people are developing an appreciation for Things That Last (not necessarily a bad thing) and as a result, those things will be selling for a premium.
Troo, prices & economies inflate, marques & models can transit thru/ough unwanted scrappers to become collectables and people can come to appreciate quality.

But.

For what it's worth there's a difference between a Ritmo Sereno & a well executed but dull vanity build & my ratty old piece of shit. For my (sham) humble penneth worth it's got to be Ritmo or Ratty and anything in between is just illusionary 'lifestyle'. I'm reminded of OCC and how its said they made more money out of caps & t-shits...

Now of course there are some Workshop Wookies whose work I appreciate (pretty much mostly in the States & one in Dutchland) and I can't help but give credit for levels of work I constantly prove I could never match, but (there's that word again) by assuming the badges & symbols of a thing and then selling a t-shit of it you don't become it. By my terms of reference I would label this as The Ashton Syndrome - you can call yourself an artist, and you can assemble the many & various elements & events that you think make an artist an artist, but (there we go again) your ultimately shallow and ugly portfolio shows you out.

There's a state of mind encouraged by the monthly magazines which they foster entirely for the benefit of their own business model. We might accept that they have a love of two wheelers at their core, but they exist on the basis of advertising revenue and this leads them to encourage a sort of 'send it out for paint/zinc all the fasteners' mindset. Alongside this we see people paying ridiculous second hand prices for stuff that's still available in the manufacturers catalogue, or pushing up the price of an NOS exhaustmufflerpipe for a Z900 to something north of £1300. And then having bolted together their Airfix Kit of a bike they call the expensive photographer and wait for the cap & t shit orders to roll in... Having said all of this they* can do as they please in their exciting & successful lives - Who am I to criticize?

But.

Lifestyle? Fuck lifestyle

* That's a general 'they', this doesn't refer to one specific builder.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #4773
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vEuUTTs-6OA

Awww it's got the bloody adverts in it. I understand why they do that but it's a pain in the ass.

planktonnn screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 04:28 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #4774
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Big FML.

That is all.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #4775
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://thekneeslider.com/images/bmwv8bike2.jpg

http://thekneeslider.com/bmw-v8-powered-motorcycle/ via Motorworks FB
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #4776
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://blogs.artinfo.com/artintheair...nksyx-mas.jpeg

Via AJ & http://blogs.artinfo.com/artintheair...east-conflict/
Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #4777
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TPEJYhztNmE
Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #4778
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Meaningless online metrics...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/113/286709039_105881e4b9.jpg

SAMPLE No. DATE '13 SINCE LAST TOTAL VIEWS VIEWS SINCE LAST Since 23rd Sept Since 26th July
P5-1 23rd Sept 0 days (P4) 322,995 0 (P4) 0 11,442
P5-2 7th Sept 20 days 328,328 5,333 5,333 16,775
P5-3 23rd Sept 16 days 333,341 5,013 10,346 21,788
P5-4 8th Oct 16 days 338,351 5,010 15,356 26,798
P5-5 23rd Oct 15 days 343,366 5,015 20,371 31,813
P5-6 6th Nov 14 days 348,426 5,060 25,431 36,873
P5-7 19th Nov 13 days 353,461 5,035 30,466 41,908
P5-8 3rd Dec 14 days 358,469 5,008 35,474 46,916
P5-9 19th Dec 16 days 363,482 5,013 40,487 51,929
Old 12-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #4779
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HbU43cQiqA0
Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #4780
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

I fallen in da water... Pt. 01.

Well, I fallen in the oil/diesel actually. Of course if you don't know The Goons you won't get this title, but there ya go...

Early last night I was pootling back to The Place on a slightly wet road, coming up to a traffic light crossroads on green expecting it to turn amber, and this is a junction you don't want to jump as some of the more enthusiastic traffic on the main road you're joining zaps across in front of you jumping their amber at 30 or 40 MPH above the speed limit. I was some 15-20 metres away, approaching at a relaxed pace, when it changed so I gave it some rear brake & just brushed the front brake and the front wheel immediately slid away from me to the left, pitching me sideways onto the floor under the bike. As soon as I just brushed the front lever I was down, there was zero time to get it back. Usually, in the dry, it's possible to intuitively react & cadence brake and as long as it's not gone too far the bike just wants to stand upright gyroscopically and I can get it back, but it was way gone way too fast for any of that shit. I doubt even ABS would have saved this one...

Of course I say it happened fast, but you know that whole 'time slows in a crash' thing?, yeah well that happened, so as I hit the floor & was still sliding I had the time to think 'Bugger, that's the headlight lens smashed, I wonder if DittyBoyDudely has one?' along with 'I hope the netbook in my rucksack is ok' & a couple of other things before I slid to a stop. You know how it is huh? The front had just disappeared to the left with no warning, I'd flapped down on my right side, my elbow bruising my oft broken ribs, and the flank of my head very lightly whacked the road then the bike & I slid along for maybe 10 more metres

Anyway there were no vehicles or street furniture in front or vehicles coming up behind so I didn't hit anything & nothing hit me, but I was just left in that 'pinned under the bike' sort of thing as it was laying on my right leg. I did a quick audit of injuries & there was nothing too bad so I tried to pull the leg out from under but was forced to push it off me with the left (top) leg and clamber to my feet. I am of course well practised in the 'Oh for fucks sake' head shake and as I picked up the bike & stuck it on the traffic island just beside a couple of cars came up & stopped at the still red light. This allowed me to go back in the road & pick up the main bits of broken headlight lens glass to try and save anyone else punctures, and then as the light turned green I directed the traffic to avoid the possibility of punctures from any remaining glass & subsequent probable insurance stuff/argumentative twats.

As the junction quickly cleared and the light swapped to red again I took the time to go back to the beginning of the scratch marks and rub my boot on the road, and sure enough there was a yard square patch of 'slippy' and it seemed to me that some leaky old piece of shit had probably previously sat there at the lights dripping lubricant or fuel leaving a nice little patch of FUCK YOU!?! and it was most likely this which had brought me down. Back to the bike for a check up and the lens was gone, the chrome ring bent, and the right bracket wing (standard R series) creased back in a Z shape. I had fortuitously been saved the indignity of wearing thru/ough my 'been down the road once already' right rocker cover and everything else seemed non-critical so I pulled in the clutch & stabbed the starter to see if the bloody thing would run. It did and I checked the front & rear light to see if they shone, which they did, and I sensibly decided all was well to ride the 3/4 of a mile or so to The Place and off I went. If I'd have been stopped there would be a little explaining to do and a reliance on a co-operative Pointy Headed Cnut, but I wasn't, so there wasn't anything to be explained to anyone and I made it back easy enough.

Now if you're a regular reader here on this sorry thread of thrilling thuds & things you'll know that my front tyre/ire is worn low but way legal and I don't feel this played a role in the spill. Just a simple case of crashing on a bad surface. In any case I'll be changing it once physically able to later this week. When I got back 'home' to the place I rechecked the bike then checked myself over and found that the right shoulder aches a little and my right collarbone is (handily) still in a couple of pieces so you can't brake what has never mended Theres an ache on a bruised rib or two but the main issue is a thwacked/twisted right knee which aches and is a bit stiff. The seam on the inside of the right knee on my leather trews is a bit split which I think comes from the chain & padlock I have wrapped round the tank. Sewing that up will be easy enough and at the very least will give me something to do.

In order to facilitate a calm state of mind I got straight onto sourcing parts and messaged DirtyBogDanly who was kind enough to be right there for me* & offer up the lens & chrome ring I was after. This was of course the height of kindness, and sorting this allowed me to relax my brane a little as a solution was on hand. So with that I popped mucho pain killers & the requisite sleeping tablets & shuffled around in bed until I found a 'knee doesn't hurt' position & drifted off listen to a reading of 'Thus Spake Zarathrustra' on the ipod.

On waking today the knee was a bit seized up but I had parts to collect & a fixup to be done, so with a little gentle easing I worked it back into motion & got on with things...

I'll scribble up the repairs later.

Toodle Parp!?!

* He was probably playing Candy Crush or something similar?

planktonnn screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 08:24 AM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #4781
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 393
I'm still feeling guilty about those filthy English pounds u forced into my palm earlier.
Oh well at least I was able to help and also stopped you from riding off with the stand down

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #4782
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly View Post
I'm still feeling guilty about those filthy English pounds u forced into my palm earlier.
Oh well at least I was able to help and also stopped you from riding off with the stand down
Ah yes, the stand. The way I've got it the thing flips up at the slightest touch so it doesn't dig in & pitch me off, but I'd been so busy paying attention so as not to pull out in front of any of your new neighbours I forgot to flick it up myself. I just felt guilty making you run out in the road & yell down the street, thus getting you a bad rep in your new hood

Naturally no worries on the Filthy English Poonds, it was the least I could do to match what I'd have had to give Motorworks for a replacement (minus carriage), and anyway they'll be worthless come the revolution

So far the fixup seems all ok, but I'll scribble about that later.

Cheers
Old 12-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #4783
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Oh...is the revolution still on? I've been waiting for that fucker since 1976.
Anyway, glad to hear you're ok apart from the odd mangle and tweaked bone, planktonnn.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #4784
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Naturally no worries on the Filthy English Poonds, it was the least I could do to match what I'd have had to give Motorworks for a replacement (minus carriage), and anyway they'll be worthless come the revolution

Cheers

Glad to know you're ow'right, guv.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #4785
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

I fallen in da water/oil/diesel (cont)Ö

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Öcrash bang wallopÖ
So DanlyBoyDanly had been kind enough to come up with some replacement headlight bits and come the morning he texted me to give me the new address & tell me he was back from his wanderings. Iíd been looking for a headlight lens with rubber ring and a chromed ring, but in the mean time by searching thru/ough what little spares I got from The Great Shed Clearout Iíd found an old chrome ring that came from the headlight smashed in the The Great Carpark HitíníRun of 2013*

Although this was bent in a bit I was able to work out the kink with some mole-grips and a small ball peen hammer** until it was in a presentable shape and seemed to mate happily with the spare headlight reflector cone I was planning to use. Using this would save me dipping too much into DiddyManDoolittles spares pile and simultaneously save me a bit of cash as I was planning to force him to take some Filthy Inglish Poonds, at least to the level shown in the Motorworks 2<sup>nd</sup> hand list. Prices on this list are still in the main reasonable & I saw that a chromed ring was £20 so by rescuing the ring Iíd saved his stock being dented too much & succeeded in cutting my prospective costs. It was only fair to offer some payment, not least because were I not to Iíd be doing exactly what I find an irritating factor in the behaviour of Arsetrail, and you canít have yourself feeling like Arsetrail can you. It doesnít feel nice.

So having checked the location of his new gaff on a well known satellite map site I pulled my kit onto my aching frame & added an orange light sailing jacket as by looking out the window I noted the weather was in the realm of magical water falling from the sky. I went out to tape a bag over the open front of the headlight shell. The reflector cone, bulb & bent ring were still taped to the shell, but I didnít see any reason to encourage too much water ingress into the shell & the electrics therein. Iím having enough trouble with the electrics as it is, but in my ascetic uni-bubble I canít afford to call in some Mobile Wiring Guru like they do in the mags, and my unfortunate personality means I donít really have a social circle within which such an Electric Yoda might be found. Thereís one round these parts whoís involved in the local classic bike club, but I cannot pay with either Poonds or the pleasantry of personable sociability.

Anyway, the bike started and didnít leak anything it didnít leak already anyway so I pootled over to DatBatDiggers new abode and rode gently down his street so as not to get him a bad rep in his new hood n ting. There he was in his garage on the odd side of the street*** and I pulled into his shared access, not even tempted to rev the nuts off the DMW as I passed his neighbours front door. We wiled away the next hour or so sorting a lens and chatting as you do. We did the monetary dance and bartered on the price, vacillating between his bid for nothing against mine for the Motorworks price before I forced the tenners on him. I declined the offer of a right hand airhead headlight bracket. Firstly because they show up at a whopping £60 s/h from MWrks, but primarily because the K series forks Iíve got stuffed in the front donít slide out easily enough to make fitting a doddle of a job****. Iíd try & straighten the Z shaped right bracket wing, and if it snapped at the creases DBD offered to MIG it back together. I have a set of universal fit brackets on the dormant K I have so if it came to it I could fit those, but Iíd have to fab up some wings for them, but anyway I had a bit of a plan to ease the straightening of the bent oneÖ

Having given MFM planning permission for the garage extension DBD described to me I thought Iíd let him get on and off I went, with my sidestand down. This is described in the intervening posts so I wonít go thru/ough it again. I got back & took to building up a front light, using the spring clips to attach the cone to the ring with the (correctly oriented) lens. All seemed to fit well and the reformed chrome ring worked out fine so off I went in the rain to sort the bracket & see what I could do.

Iím bored of typing and you may be bored with reading, so in case of this latter event I am foregoing my feelings regarding the former event and, for your sole convenience, going that extra mile by preparing two versions of what went next:

1 - It all went fine with no breakages.

2 - Having released the headlight shell from the tweaked bracket I took to bending the creases out of it with a pair of large mole grips. Working the jaws perpendicular to the crease so as to exert a flattening pressure, moving back and forth across the damaged areas. Because the two creases were in opposite directions, bending one meant to probability of inadvertently bending back the other so I took a piece of heavy flatbar I had stuck in my tool caddy and used it to support one crease while attacking the other, and after a while it was straightish with no snapping involved. The flat bar was then used as a support to hammer against to make the final adjustments and all was done. Itís not concourse, but then you know my feelings about that. The mounting slot for the headlight came in handy as it allowed me to rotate the headlight so the it was mounted flat to the bikes front plane. I took to attaching the lens assembly and a quick flick of the light switch proved the job to be completed.

Thereís more, but I think we can agree thatís enough no?

* Or 2012? Sorry my peeple have yet to present an index so I canít direct you to the specific post :-(

** This did raise the potential for nuisance of the neighbours, but they annoy me in such many and various ways that I reasoned theyíd have little room for complaint. Having said that I donít fuss about the trouble they make to fill up their time here at The Place, as long as they donít point it at meÖ

*** As in odd numbered, what else did you think I could mean? :-D

**** The R series fork brace Iíve bent out to fir the wider K fork spacing mean that the forces exerted on the legs are in a king of trapezoidal form, making it a pain to slip them out. Once theyíre in the tripleyolktrees and the 2 braces and the axle/wheel are in place theyíre parallel enough to work happily enough with no apparent sticktion, but I remember a lot of banging with a rubber mallet when I was getting them in so if I could avoid having to dismantle the whole jury rigged mess to change a headlight bracket then I would. Besides all this you might recall that the K series brakes transit thru/ough the headstock so breaking open the front end would also mean bleeding the brakes etc.