ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.55%
Nasty? 28 13.08%
Nasty but nice? 157 73.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #601
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Further cockpit

The phrase: 'Instrumentation Array', springs to mind when considering the RT er.....instrumention array. What a lot of stuff, and it nearly all works! The voltmeter's just decided to start acting like a cnut, but it too shall operate as god* intended.

* Helmut at The Factory.

pjcr12 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 06:00 AM
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #602
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Front end

Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #603
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

A bit closer....

Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #604
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

From the side....

Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #605
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

And then.....

Old 04-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #606
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12
... The voltmeter's just decided to start acting like a cnut, but it too shall operate as god* intended.
Lookin' good! If you can figure out how to have the voltmeter show the correct voltage (i.e. not 1/2 volt or more lower) and not do St Vitus Dance whenever the turn signals are on, you will be worshipped like a god!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #607
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Right, you're on! Challenge accepted.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
Lookin' good! If you can figure out how to have the voltmeter show the correct voltage (i.e. not 1/2 volt or more lower) and not do St Vitus Dance whenever the turn signals are on, you will be worshipped like a god!
You know, slartidbartfast, there's a little secret part of me that does want to be worshipped like a god* so I shall not rest until the voltmeter provides an accurate display of volts currently utilised, and post evidence of such here on ADV. If I succeed, I want Manhattan ok?

* Helmut at The Factory.

There's more pics coming up of today's adventures in airhead assembly.....
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #608
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

STD1 goes ka-chugg, ka-chugg. Lovely.

And so, the day dawned bright and sunny and became hot. In April. My next door neighbour, Carol, mentioned how hot it was, and I had to agree. Then we laughed at our Britishness, and went our separate ways; me, to the STD1 and her to whatever she does with her life, of which I know nothing. Thank fuck.

Anyway, postman arrived early with the rubber gasket and two mirror bases for the bike. I fit the mirror bases instantly, but decided to wait for a while before fitting the screen rubber gasket, because.....it smelled nice and rubbery, and anyway I have a small job on the screen to finish before that goes on.

So, that left me with a couple of options: fitting the fairing lowers, and getting the bike to spin over on the starter. I don't know about you, but I always get a bit tremulous whenever I've put an airhead together and come to the point where it's time to see if it'll turn over ok. So, checked everything (again) hooked up a car battery on jump leads and.....click. Nothing. Well, there was the 'click' of course. Didn't bother me though, been here a thousand times. Sometimes, all you have to do is go away and have a cup of tea, come back and try it again; but not in this case, as it turned out. No, I had to pop on a spare relay, and ka-chugga chug chug!!!

Feeling like a risen God, I patted myself on the back and proceeded to put more plastic clothing on the STD1. the following pics show this....

Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #609
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Followed by........

Due to an ingenious repair that planktonnn made to the l/h lower fairing, which meant that it no longer split so as to get it on with the downpipe in place, I decided to combine two jobs, and fit the full exhaust and both lowers. I always get a bit tremulous about airhead exhaust threads, too. I don't like fucking about with them too much, so wanted to get the job done without too much fuss. There was no fuss at all, this bike just wants to be helpful....

Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #610
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

You know....

....I might even pinstripe this fucker, and that goes against every principle I hold dear. But this bike is getting me a bit emotional and I think I might be falling in love with it, and it hasn't even got it's new tank badges and rubber knee grips on yet!

Some lucky cnut is going to get a nice bike, but they're going to get bored shitless as I describe in extreme detail the renovation process this superb epitome of the Marque has undergone, before they're allowed to take it away. Yeah.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #611
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Next pic....

Spent all day, either out in the sun or in the shed, fettling, fixing, cabling, adjusting and so on, and felt like I was at peace with the world. To me, working on a bike is almost like a Zen experience; so much so, I might even write a book about the whole thing, and call it Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, or something. But funny.....

So, the postman's just arrived with the front brake master cylinder.. can this day get any better?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #612
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Tra la laah la leee.....

Last but one pic...so, what's left? Loads of stuff yet, get the front brake operational, fit the rear pegs, knee pads, inner fairing boxes and finish the stylish bodge on the corner of the screen, which requires reinforcing as the last bolt hole cracked off...make up some pieces to act as screen clamps, fit the rubber gasket (after one last sniff) and stick the tank badges on.....and the horn (might just go with the 'low-tone' horn alone, for butch). The cash drain should finally stop, with the purchase of a brand spanking new battery; I'm considering a gel battery from the local horticultural suppliers, as I've got one on 'the best airhead in the world'*, and I think they're as groovy as fuck, plus cheaper.

* See next pic

Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #613
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

The older I get, the less stuff I want on my motorcycles. L

Old 04-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #614
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12
....I might even pinstripe this fucker, and that goes against every principle I hold dear. But this bike is getting me a bit emotional and I think I might be falling in love with it, and it hasn't even got it's new tank badges and rubber knee grips on yet!

Some lucky cnut is going to get a nice bike, but they're going to get bored shitless as I describe in extreme detail the renovation process this superb epitome of the Marque has undergone, before they're allowed to take it away. Yeah.
+1 on the pinstripes, it will add some nice contrast and detail.

You intend cleaning up the fins and rocker covers to go with that stupendous paint job,?
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #615
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Onward and upward...filing nipples etc

Screen rubber gaskets....total bastards to fit, but when you work out how they go on, at least you know you're fitting them right even though they're bastards to fit. Did I mention they were bastards. To fit? I did? Well, it just goes to show you what bastards they are.....

Compared to the screen rubber, the fitting of a couple of new pads'n'pins into the fully refurbished caliper, as well as fitting the new twistgrip'n'master cylinder and spending time filing my nipples as well as bleeding the front brake without spilling a drop of DOT4 onto the lovely red'n'shiney paintwork, went like a piece of piss, as we are wont to say here in Blighty.....but filing nipples eh? Ever had to do that? I hadn't until today...

Throttle cables; twin-pull at that. I had a brand new pair in stock, and was just about to fit them when I remembered I had a pair of much better old ones. The outer casing on each cable was even ribbed, longtitudinally. Yeah. Quality shit, however being old, the nipples on the both the twistgrip and carb ends were a bit generous compared to the measly excuses for nipples they try and fob you off with in the modern era. So they were a bit of a tight fit in their respective nipple-holders. So I filed them delicately so they did fit and, especially at the carb end, I managed to get a pleasant semi-rotational nipple movement in the nipple holder. Don't laugh....it's important, yeah? If you've got a tight nipple that doesn't semi-rotate, you get binding in the cable as you throttle off, ok? I'm not lying.

So, bled the brakes with one of those tube'n'valve things which, I must say, worked a treat, and did both bleed nipples at the same time. Easiest brake bleeding I've ever done.

So, the bike is getting perilously close to be being finished. Yipp fucking eeee.......I plan on doing a couple of hundred miles on it to see what falls off, leaks, doesn't work, etc before putting it up for sale, but I'm wary of counting my chickens. This bike wants to be helpful, though,unlike some airheads I've known that were inclined to be complete fuckwits, but still...there aren't any major jobs left to do on it, mainly finishing the tank and plumbing it in.