ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.68%
Nasty? 28 13.21%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.11%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 AM   #61
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
* and build the rest of the 'text' around them

* I write the asterisk footnotes 1st

.............sorta like driving on the wrong side of the road.............. btw, did you know that the latin word "sinister" means "left".......(as opposed to "right", also known as "correct"..................

Old 08-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #62
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Tum-ti-tum-ti-diddly-tum...tum-ti-tum-dee-daaa-da

I just thought I'd take this opportunity to tell you what a strange and unusual thread this is.....I don't really have any other comments to make as I don't really understand all this nonsense about taking motorcycles apart then putting them back together again, What is that...some kind of crazy thing? Why don't you get a car, like normal people? Also, why do you show pictures of what looks like a baking tray, filled with beef grease...and why do the other people who comment on your thread seem to know what you're talking about? I also notice there was a picture of you cleaning the rear portion of an engine...! Good God, man why'd you let it get so dirty in the first place, eh? It seems obvious that you're a Britisher of some sort, is that the same as being Welsh? And is that a German motorcycle...I do believe it is! Do the police know you get up to this sort of thing?
I'm sure there's an explanation for it all, but I'm damned if I know what it could possibly be. I thought you had to take a vehicle to be repaired by mechanics in a proper garage? It looks very much to me as if you're doing all this work in a back yard or a garden of some sort...does your wife know? While I'm on the subject, I've noticed that most of the threads and posts on this forum are written by men who like to tell other men about their motorcycles..what the hell is going on here?! Is there no moral rectitude in place? It very much seems to me that you and your friends might well be the sort who wish to rebel against the norms of society. I'm shocked, now I come to think about it. I may well have to draw the attention of the moderators to this thread, and I'm sure they'll close it down forthwith. Although I have no memory at all since my lobotomy and ECT treatment in May of this year, I'm sure I would never do any of the things that are depicted on this website...shame on you, it doesn't strike me as being a wholesome pastime at all. Repent now, while you still can.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #63
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12
Although I have no memory at all since my lobotomy and ECT treatment in May of this year, I'm sure I would never do any of the things that are depicted on this website...shame on you, it doesn't strike me as being a wholesome pastime at all. Repent now, while you still can.
It will all come back to you, not to worry. The first time you spend a moment with a wrench, get oil under your fingernails. Yea, know ye that thy flesh is weak.

Soon you'll be back to your blasphemous ways and the villagers will once again come pounding at the gates of Castle Frankenbike with torches and pitchforks demanding the you bring the unseemly monster forthwith for inspection and scrutiny.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #64
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper ST4
It will all come back to you, not to worry.
Thou speaketh truth. After pjcr12 spends only a few tender moments with a 12Ah battery and a couple of neatly placed 14g wires, his memory (as well as clarity of thought) shall be brought back to life.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #65
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
It seems obvious that you're a Britisher of some sort, is that the same as being Welsh?
Definitely not Welsh. I've worked with Welsh millwrights and drank with them in Swansea.

He'd have made at LEAST 3 sheep comments by now.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #66
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,624
Eh? Some days it pays to chew thru the restraints.

Quote:
Who? Ah, yes, Patient 73. How are the scars healing? Don't pick at the stitches there's a good chap. Now, let's see if we can get you some kind of theraputic work placement to occupy those evil little hands of yours, eh? Yes, here we go. Do you think you can take things out of a shed, shuffle them about a bit, and put them back into a shed?... I say, do you think... I say... ah, ok. Never mind.

Quote:
Is there no moral rectal-tude in place? It very much seems to me that you and your friends might well be the sort who wish to rebel against the norms of society.
We here at ‘d'Oily Palms Retirement Home for the Mechanically Inept’ have just the thing to get you back on the ‘right side of the highway’ so to speak. It’s a lovely little refurbishment project, which will en-widen your hammering skills & multi-hance your knowledge of ‘85 airheads, as well as keeping you off the streets (there’ve been complaints).

Quote:
Although I have no memory at all since my lobotomy and ECT treatment in May of this year...
That was no lobotomy, we save those for the most deserving of our clients. No, that was 'us' installing the implants…

Quote:
Repaint now, while you still can.
Quite so. And can you repaint the subframe, swing(ing)arm & pannier racks too? And get the tyre off that wheel? And order some gaskets & shit? And refurb the Bings? And build up the engine? Etc.

Please find attached your recent brainscan, as you can see your condition is improving, however I would suggest you keep away from heavy duty magnets.

Kind regards,

The rapist

MANDY - CAN YOU RETYPE THIS AGAIN BEFORE IT'S POSTED PLEASE. THAT SHOULD SAY 'THERAPIST' !?!

Attached Images

Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #67
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
.............sorta like driving on the wrong side of the road.............. btw, did you know that the latin word "sinister" means "left".......(as opposed to "right", also known as "correct"..................
You drive on just one side of the road?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #68
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
He'd have made at LEAST 3 sheep comments by now.
Leave my mother out of this
Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #69
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

CX500 Vs Airhead

Before I started playing with boxers, I was toying with a CX500 & 2 CX donors I got in (v low %) PX for a K75S I'd spruced up. I gave up with the CX. The engine was nice but the chassis was made from Rustonium. Last time I saw the bike it looked pretty much like this -
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #70
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Laugh

Mmmmmmm, a clean but not excessively shiny wheel...
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #71
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Cool2 Thoughts on acceptable levels of shine.

Started cleaning the block on The Std 1. The timing cover needs a bit of work, and may go back to black once de-furred, depending on what we feel like. I'm not a great believer in polishing, and certainly far too lazy to keep at it until my deformed fizog stares back at me, smeared in spattered polishing compound, pleading with me to quit bloody polishing. Excessively reflective surfaces are a hazard to other road users – cleaning as part of refurbishment is in, obsessive rubbing is out. Besides, you’ll never win, this timeless recycler is what you’re up against http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

I’ve a light flywheel post ’81 block coming for the DMW, so I'll be going thru the grubby but ultimately rewarding process of engine scrubbing all over again. It's cheaper/quicker to pick up a complete block than to mop up the spangled mess & swap out the crank & bearings on the chewed one. That one will be put aside for a fuller rebuild once funds/time allow, and I'd like to stick a 336 cam and stuff in it. Plus there are another 2 blocks sitting in the spares department (my shed) waiting to be sorted out. One seems pretty good but has serious tatty-ness issues, and the other has big end issues. I'll get around to them... sometime. In the meantime I need to strip out the ancillaries from the chewed block & pull it from the frame, or the other way round, and order o ring/gasket/stretch bolts & bits to install the new one and get it running down the road, with me sitting on it. And I don't mean trying to bump start it.

Back to The Std 1, and in our Remote Fettling Department (his shed) work has been progressing on the swingarm & bevel box, which has a seal leak. I have a late type bevel which seems oil tight that can be swapped in. There also seems to have been an extensive & complex comparative study regarding Haynes & Clymer, and lots of opening other bevels to compare the number of shims. I could tell you how that's progressed, but 'he who did all that was done to that which had it done to it by him'* could tell you all about that if he decides to chime inwhich I hope he does.

* HWDATWDTTWHIDTIBH for short.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #72
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

The importance of a tidy workspace.

Er ...
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #73
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
could tell you all about that if he decides to chime in...

And Lo...it came time to gently warm a bevel-box or two and try to discern the way forward through the er....what happened was, the brake shoes in the rear drum of the STD1 were blathered in a gloopy blodge. The gloopy blodge was yet another minor irritation in the gradual understanding of this particular airhead as it gets cleaned, stripped and fettled. A correct, as it turns out, diagnosis of the cause pointed to a fuk tupped output seal...matters not helped by the 500ml's of gear oil in the bevel case. I've shot previous owners in the past for less, but I'm in a much better mood these days. So, what to do? Not having a fresh seal to hand, I looked about the shed and noticed a spare mono bevel, known to be oil-tight but having stripped filler/drain threads...hmmm what if I just took that apart and swapped the cases over? No-one would know....spent a happy half hour heating up aluminium and letting ring gear units drop out under nothing more than gravity when I suddenly had a thought...I'd better communicate my progress to the other branch of the Martha Farquar organisation. Two emails later, it transpires that the Buckinghamshire branch has a non-leaking mono bevel box just sitting around in his shed! What a surprise!
I didn't even know he had any mono bits..he kept that a bit quiet, didn't he? I must remember to ask him about that. Anyway, that means I can remove the original bevel from the mono swing(ing)arm, clean it up, slap some paint on and another stage in the rebuild of this bike gets ticked off the list. Well, it would do if there was a list, but there isn't. In other news, I spent £86.53 at Motorworks on a couple of gaskets, a few 'o' rings and seals and 2 carb rubbers for the top-end bolt up....must remember to pop in and punch them in the head the next time I'm up in Yorkshire. Oh yes, I've also banged my head really hard, twice, on the pannier brackets that are nice and black and shiny, and hanging from the ceiling of my shed...oh, and melted a plastic nut 'n' bolt tray when I placed a still-hot heat gun in it...all in a days work..I can't think of anything else at the moment
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #74
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

This poor sod has been put on ice until this boxer shit is sorted out
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #75
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

It goes in this -