ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.18%
Nasty? 30 13.64%
Nasty but nice? 161 73.18%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #751
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,905
Thumb Annnnnnd Now!?!

For the 1st time since the beginning of April I have a flat. Not a hospital, or crashing in someones shed, not sleeping in the woods (either with or without tent), not temporary accomodation which would be taken away at any moment. Not even really a 'home', but a place where I can stay while I sort the rest of my shitty life out. Somewhere that won't be taken away next week. I have landed. In other news I've got regular access to the Shedquarters, and have managed to complete the worlds worst woodwork project by building a roofed extension to the front, and doubling the size. Now, don't get me wrong, it's still a teeny* weeny blip compared to some of the mega sheds I see some of you people have, but to me it's my shed. Frankly, if this place hadn't come up I could have lived in the shed, I've lived in worse. But I got this flat instead. Now all I've got to do is get a few audio/video bits out of storage & start recording an album of cover versions, simply for the pleasure of it... *The inclusion of this word alone will get this thread monitored :-D
Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #752
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Sounds good, a space efficient residence makes so much more sense in these days of excess and waste. It also does away with having to deal with troublesome servants.
I'll be monitoring the shed and the goings on inside, be warned. Side notes on the flat will be interesting also, but maybe you should spare us some of the "goings on inside" details, most of us are decent folk.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #753
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
Sounds good, a space efficient residence makes so much more sense in these days of excess and waste. It also does away with having to deal with troublesome servants. I'll be monitoring the shed and the goings on inside, be warned. Side notes on the flat will be interesting also, but maybe you should spare us some of the "goings on inside" details, most of us are decent folk.
Decent folk? What the hell are you doing here then

My servants are hardly ever troublesome these days. I think this is because each year I sacrifice one in front of all the others & this seems to encourage the others toward good behaviour... Happenings in the Shedquarters are mainly based around sorting thru piles of packing cases & disposing of unrequired nonsense & scrap. I think I'll aggregate all the beemer bits & see what can be sold off as a job lot without losing the spare I'll need.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #754
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb Today...

Here @ MFM Head Office (yes, I know he says his end is head office but...) I have been mostly getting my bad boxers headlight main beam to work. No, it wasn't the bulb. What'd happened was that the yellow wire which feeds back from the left hand switchgear to the contact board had burned right through halfway down in the aformentioned test ride* short out/electrical fire (small), i.e. all other feeds gave me continuity - that one didn't.

I was able to eliminate the switch itself as I got continuity through it in the main beam position (having dismanted the unit to get at the wires) so it was working fine. In the end I've simply run a (wrongly non diagram coloured now blue**) wire along the outside of the switchgear loom to replace the dead one, and all seems fine. There are a couple of other wires which have obviously got hot & melted the insulation, but heatshrink tubing & a heat gun solved that just fine. For now. In the process I removed the indicator switch unit & arm & sealed the snipped wires with heatshrink, both thru choice because I don't have indicators, and partly because my frazzed brain couldn't get the insides of the left hand unit back in successfully with the indicator switch mechanism in place, and I'd already pulled the horn switch mounting cradle apart trying to get (what I believe is referred to as) a quart into a pint pot, or the other way round, I'm all metric you know?

Does any of this make sense?!?, come in houston!?!

Luckily, what with me having less than half a brane DittybluDude passed by & verified my thinking over the wiring prior to the commencement of hacking, just so I knew I wasn't entirely nuts deep up the wrong bush so to speak, which is a technical term, and as you'll have observed by now is very much a possibility when it comes to the high standards I set my self for my work... Note to self, reconnect the fuel lines to the taps when you've been working under the tank... I didn't try to start it, but I'm so gormless I wouldn't have spotted it (unless that mug of mikless sweet tea had arrived just when it did) because I am a twat.

'All' I have to do for the MOT is get a white plate illumination light running, as the LEDs in the bottom of my tail light (which is above the plate) have given up the ghost, and as I sealed the unit with supersteel glue to get it properly vibration proof/support the number plate type mounted I can't get in there to investigate. I've got something in a box somewhere that'll do it, and all will be well with the world, or at least the 10 feet surrounding me at any one point in time. Ok, not 'well with the world' as such, but at least not on fire.

There are lots more mota-sickles on the road round these parts now. It's 'the season' as they call it, & all those (overly) lovely low mileage machines that spend all winter unused are coming out to play. Predictably this leads to a lot of accidents as riders forget they've not ridden since last september and that their R1 they were never good enough to ride anyway is really not very forgiving when it comes to out of practice broadly incapable (compared to the capability of their bike) riders. They're all out in their Power Ranger matching leathers & stuff. Bloody twazzocks

* Look back & find it, I can't do everything for you.
* I didn't have any yellow. DBD tells me all his splices & additions went in blue, I think by my recollection the addition above may have been in blue wire too, but I'm not taking the lift down 3 floors to check - the lift is manufactured by Schindler, wait for it, wait for it, yes, it's Schindlers lift... Was it really worth the edit for that?

planktonnn screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 07:32 AM Reason: We call them thoughts, we sometimes have them.
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #755
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
I've got something in a box somewhere that'll do it, and all will be well with the world, or at least the 10 feet surrounding me.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #756
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 440
Earth calling Planktonnn

Dan do you have two spare rocker covers i can borrow for my track day.
Just encase i get over excited and grind through mine or fall off trying??

Oh and after you sorted through ur spares can I have a look see

Dirtyboydeadly screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 11:23 AM Reason: Spelling and shit
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #757
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
Dan do you have two spare rocker covers i can borrow for my track day. Just encase i get over excited and grind through mine or fall off trying?? Oh and after you sorted through ur spares can I have a look see
I think theres a pair that are mine that might be sitting in the back of the shed, there might also be an MFM pair sitting over in the Western Regional Office? I'll see what I can dig out. When is it you're going?

If I do get round to getting rid of a pile of bits I'll give you a shout, but of course you'll have to pay twice the going price
Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #758
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Just another day @ MFM...

Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #759
coastranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:

thats a nice littel pic, love the 3 pound sledge, every bmw tool box should have one
coastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #760
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastranger
thats a nice little pic, love the 3 pound sledge, every bmw tool box should have one
Oh yes, always comes in handy for those delicate tasks
Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #761
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastranger
thats a nice littel pic, love the 3 pound sledge, every bmw tool box should have one
I think that's a 5-pounder
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #762
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Quote:
I think theres a pair that are mine that might be sitting in the back of the shed, there might also be an MFM pair sitting over in the Western Regional Office? I'll see what I can dig out. When is it you're going?

If I do get round to getting rid of a pile of bits I'll give you a shout, but of course you'll have to pay twice the going price
I only want to borrow them incase of a spill friday week.

With regards to the other shite at over the top prices, It sounds like a plan as long as i can get them on tick and then default on the first payment
Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #763
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Laugh

Quote:
I only want to borrow them in case of a spill friday week.
Of course, I imagined that was the the case. I know we've got some between us somewhere, you'll just have to replace them or equivalent (in bollock flesh) if you have a 2nd mishap and crunch ours too I've got some crash bars you can borrow if you want a little extra insurance? It's Pembrey you're at yeah? This map seems to me to be pre 2006, and if I remember rightly they may have inserted a little flip-flop chicane at turn 4 or 5?

On the other hand you may have said you were going to Anglesey? That's a bit of a shittier trip though.

Of course if you really cared about my health & well-being you'd find a little space for me in the van/car, or on the trailer? Don't forget that once you've done this track (whichever one it is) you'll only have all these (excluding Mallory Park) left to work thru

Quote:
With regards to the other shite at over the top prices, It sounds like a plan as long as i can get them on tick and then default on the first payment
Ah well, no, I'm afraid after the unpleasant experience of the sale of the K75S to Astral and the problems I had with the (non) payment plan I'm afraid it's only cash up front now There might be nothing of interest but if I do get it done you can have a look at whatever goes in the pile.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #764
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Quote:

On the other hand you may have said you were going to Anglesey? That's a bit of a shittier trip though.
Yep your right. full 2.1 mile circuit
Old 07-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #765
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Yep your right. full 2.1 mile circuit
Sorry Dan, you seem to have a fault on your computer keyboard, you appear to have broken the bit that makes it say 'Of course there's space for you in the van my good fellow, hop on in'

Ah, Anglesy... last time I went there I got thrown off the 'island'. I'll have a look for the rocker covers later , if I've got none then I know a pair went to the MFM Western Regional Office & I'll see if I can borrow them back? It occured to me that you might want to grab my paddock stands too maybe?