ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 27 13.30%
Nasty? 26 12.81%
Nasty but nice? 150 73.89%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #826
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
Will sort intermittent high tickover 3k thing :-)
Have a look at your ignition advance unit. The clockworks gum up and remain in an *advanced* state. Flush with contact/brake cleaner and lube with silicone lube spray.

Enjoying the witty observes burried in the mundanutea.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #827
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Have a look at your ignition advance unit. The clockworks gum up and remain in an *advanced* state. Flush with contact/brake cleaner and lube with silicone lube spray.

Enjoying the witty observes burried in the mundanutea.

Yeah, that sounds quite plausible as it's intermittent and is sometimes cured by revving the engine, which I imagine might free any gloop. I'll have to check with Pjcr12 on any notes he might have on the beancan and take a look at it tomorrow once the mother in law has left the former family home & I can get access to my Shedquarters where all my magic spray cans are
Old 07-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #828
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
Amy likes the std 1
Prob is I dont think it will fit in my man cave
It's come out really well and is a lovely ride :-) You'll just have to get rid of one of your rides or get a bigger man cave...
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #829
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Just to mention, this is the 1st time I've ever ridden a standard airhead, even though it's a late-ish one ('85). Once Pjcr12 finished the final assembly I just couldn't let it go, and it all co-incided nicely with the expiry of tax & MOT on the DMW. The STD1, with those bars, reminds me very much of the MeMW, my ratted K75, in that it flip flops into turns more than having to be put in purposefully like the DMW with the straight (RS?) bars, or how DBDs escribed his with clip ons. That extra bar height & width just gives so much more leverage. The K75S was the same with lower narrow bars, and had to be put into corners rather than just following them on the way in.

planktonnn screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 06:58 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #830
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb

Hang on, my hotlinked pic vanished, attached below...

Ah, an R80RT Mono

Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-01-2010 at 02:03 PM Reason: ...because I awoke, and added a link or two & then the pic vanished...
Old 08-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #831
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
The STD1, with those bars, reminds me very much of the MeMW, my ratted K75, in that it flip flops into turns more than having to be put in purposefully like the DMW with the straight (RS?) bars, or how DBDs escribed his with clip ons.
Mine isn't to bad now it has the right size tyres fitted.
Before I had to make a real effort to get round corners
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #832
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
I had to make a real effort to get round corners
Well, you got half way round that last corner @ Anglesy with the right sized tyres
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #833
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb All together now in the key of X...

Happy birthday to me (tomorrow)

Happy birthday to me (tomorrow)

Happy birthday to me-ee (tomorrow)

Now give me all your cash (& fuck off)

Attached, a pic of an early birthday present I got today -
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #834
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Laugh Morny Stannit. Morny Stannit.

What I needed for my birthday - Pjcr12 had a long running problem with the tyres on the STD1, in that they just kept losing pressure. This was sorted by a visit to his local Dave (as you'll recall, all mechanics are called Dave) as far as the rear is concerned and it holds pressure quite happily. He will have referred to it in a post some way back but I won't link to it because I am far too shagged out to go looking for it.

The front however was a different matter, and though the same remedy was applied by his Dave it wasn't successful, so I'm now faced with pumping up my front tyre each morning. I'll be taking it back to my Dave (who fitted them in the first place, or to be more precise they were fitted by Ian, and as you'll remember all Daves 2nd mechanics are called Ian) and he can sort the valve or the rim seal or whatever else is causing it. In the meantime I could do with an onboard air compressor, and while looking for a free one I came across the attached below, as explained in the link above.

In other news I still need to Tax it, and I can't do that until I recieve the registration document, which ought to be very soon. I could tax it at a post office with the green 'new keepers slip' (& other docs), but they won't let me do it there with a credit card, which is what I'm living off at the moment. I could use the credit card to tax it online but the reference number on the green slip is one digit longer than the form field will accept. This is what we call a conundrum, and it's enough to drive you mad, if I wasn't already...

CIRCLIP NEWS!!! CIRCLIP NEWS!!! CIRCLIP NEWS!!! CIRCLIP NEWS!!!
Hot from the front line of Reliant repairs direct to your desktop.
CIRCLIP NEWS!!! CIRCLIP NEWS!!! CIRCLIP NEWS!!! CIRCLIP NEWS!!!

The circlip arrived, it was fitted, and the SU carb was thus damped as per spec. The End. I know, I know, it’s been a gripping & enthralling tale of mechanical ineptitude, of a magnificent self manufactured washer which will be retained in an extremely large picture frame (at co-ordinates set by the mean of available unrelated data i.e. X vs.Y distribution points of my deserved disasters over a given 46 year period?), & of overly long delivery schedules, but it’s over. I’m sorry, you’ll just have to come to terms with it. I know I have.

I'm aware it's sort of off topic (there's a topic?) but I'd originally agreed just to rivet a new motor onto the heater matrix & plumb it in, and I only got dragged into the whole circlip thing as an aside. Knowing how these things can immediately & inescapably snowball with dear Asstral & have the potential to become complicated by difficult 'communication', I thus stepped well back (that’s to say I stepped back exceedingly well, even I was impressed) and let some other poor soul (Steve) endeavour to get the bloody thing running. I hauled me up a deckchair & cup of tea, made just as I like it (black & sweet, just like my men - boom boom) and watched as Steve blew back into the fuel tank from the fuel pump inlet pipe, nothing happened, there was resistance, the resistance stopped and bubbles could be heard from the fuel tank. On the two recent occasions where the (I hesitate to call it a) vehicle was turned on it's side who knows what rubbish/liquid was swirled up from the bottom of the tank, and there's an inline filter just after the tank outlet (+ another by the carb, both 12k replacement cycles) which is just begging to get blocked up. They reconnected the fuel pipe & looked all optimistic the poor dear things, but no, it still wouldn't start.

And so they progressed to my own favoured (unspoken) guess at the source of the problem and started on the electrics. It was hard to check for a spark with a pulled plug due to none of the five available plug spanners being either sized correctly or allowing access* When the thing had been left for a day or two and the battery charged, then it would start straight away & run happily for 20 or 30 seconds before conking out and not starting again. To me this brought to mind the 'C' words - condenser or coil. Now, I'd quite wisely stepped way out of reaching distance from the (I hesitate to call it a) car before it was even conceived that it could be imagined that it could be suggested that I delve into that rotted & erroneously repaired mess that could barely be described as an electrical 'system', but it is electrical because it sparks when you any part of it. Looking under the hood (were you brave enough) you'd see a horrific mess, the kind where if you touch any part of it five other parts fail.

It appears the problem was the points condenser, as a new one produced a running engine, and new points are to hand subject to just how much like the Sea of Tranquility the current points contacts are. However the question I dare not raise so as not to to risk becoming ‘involved’ again, is (beyond the probability of age related/natural failure) what made the condenser fail?

Perhaps I’ll start condenser news?...

* Plug spanner news anyone?

Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 03:26 AM Reason: Changes (I watched the ripples change their size but never leave the stream of warm impermanence)
Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #835
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb

What I want next so I can rat it up - The BMW K75SA
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #836
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Martha Farquar Update Newsflash

....31,760 views, not too shabby, although here at MarFar Corporate HQ we feel that multiple postings on a circlip theme just doesn't hit the sweet spot with the demographic....with that in mind, I thought I would emerge from a deep meditative state and raise some important issues, so as to try and get this thread up where it belongs....into the 40K+ views position. Some people call me crazy....fuck 'em, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, or else he ain't no man. I wouldn't be doing this, but it's fucking raining, I'm out of herbal remedies, and what else should I do, get a job or something? I don't think so.

So, don't get me wrong: circlips play a very important role, and I'm not arguing for no circlip news at all....but I feel that keeping things in perspective keeps us all on the right lines, so we don't veer off into thread postings that appeal mainly to fringe interests, thereby excluding the mainstream viewer who is desperate for........shed door news! Here at the Western HQ, a brand-new second-hand door has gone on to the shed. It doesn't quite fit, but it keeps the rain out much better than the previous door assembly, and it looks nice. What else do you need? Locks? Don't think so. I have a specific security policy for my shed and it's contents...anyone messing with it gets killed. Simple, yet effective. Here's a pic.

pjcr12 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 06:01 AM
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #837
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

MarFar Update #2

So....planktonnn has divulged that the STD1 never really escaped the control of the organisation, and has really just swapped residences. This is true. I was concerned that planktonnn's feet wouldn't reach the ground, when sat on the STD1, but my fears were groundless. He rode off on it, and guess what? It didn't break down, he didn't fall off...and he got it up to a 100mph with no problems. Result. There is a couple of small problems, but these are merely snags after a rebuild. The carbs aren't properly balanced, and the timing might be out by 1/2 a degree, or so.....have you ever tried timing an airhead (even with your spanking brand-new Xenon timing light), on your own? A bit tricky, let me tell you. It's best done with an assistant. One person should aim the timing light into the little hole, whilst the other adjusts the bean can in accordance with the 1st person's instructions. I think the slightly high tickover is down to fine adjustments. Maybe when planktonnn goes and visits his 'Dave' and smacks him in the chops for fitting duff tyre valves, he might negotiate for a cheap carb balance at the same time. Just a thought.

Anyway, now the STD1 is out of the way, leaving room to get my /7 out of the back yard and down to the front of the house, I just have to solve a small problem. This pic explains the situation....

Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #838
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

MarFar update #3

So.....the best airhead in the world. Funny how I always seem to own it, isn't it? Guess I'm just lucky. The more observant viewers will notice that the bike no longer has the /6 tank on it, but a /7 (c/w lunchbox) tank in it's place. This is because I sold the /6 tank to a young airhead freak in Oxford, for 60, so I could buy herbs. These things sometimes happen. Anyway, I've decided to go down the no-lights-at-all route on this machine, for the simple reason that that's how I like 'em. I will also be fitting some nasty motorcross tyres as soon as cash flow allows, because that's also how I like 'em. With the vw tailpipes stuffed into the headers, it sounds like a bastard from hell...again, just how I like 'em. This bike has a home-made wiring harness, with 'remote' on-off switch and starter-button. The starter button is just above the top of the l/h sidepanel and the on-off is similarly placed on the r/h sidepanel. The only idiot light is a charge-warning light stuffed into the top of the top triple clamp nut. Lovely.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #839
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Noah calling Mount Ararat, come in Ararat...

Dear Petey Pete new shed door Pete ramp Peter, you know the one, you there you caddish bounder,

Phase 1 accomplished, PIN arrived this morning, have just pulled my daily max of 30, will do 30 again tomorrow, + 8 odd (i.e. minus a tank-full as offered?*) the day after. Their set-up limits how much cash I can withdraw in a day. How hard are they making it for me to get into debt?** I didn't think this was how things worked, I thought I was allowed (almost obliged) to take out a 250k mortgage on a loaf of bread, surely something is wrong with the economic system if this is how they're going to carry on :-D

I intended to pop straight over with the first 30 today, however a great torrential cloud dumping deluge of rain and/or a heavenly burst main intervened*** & totally soaked the shit out of me**** before I even got out of this filthy little town. All being well I should be able to drip (sorry that should read drop) 60 tomorrow, or 68 the day after? Or if you're over this way?***** Whichever suits you, the weather & my diary best? Gotta visit from Doc Reg and thus the tax was done online ok, printed off email confirmation to placate plod. 6 months = 38.50 + 2.50 card charge, 12 months has just gone up to 70. Their renewal page might have ****** said the SORN ran out 1st July and THERE WAS AN UNEXPLAINED GAP!?!!?! & therefore a POTENTIAL OFFENCE !?!!?! I was certainly offended. They surely can't fine me for the 8 days from the 23rd but I'm afraid I'll just have to dob you in for the rest. It's the Lore'n'all.

FYI I got the left peg tighter by torture by torqueing the shit out of it and letting the outer washer recede/get pulled into the cup in the peg mount for the Allen bolt head, I'll stick a lock bolt on it & still get it all welded though. Like you say, just little niggles to play with, and resultant from me having deserted you at the last. Thanks for getting it finished. Still, you know what they say - "This same shall comfort us in our work and in the toil of our hands, which cometh from the ground which the LORD hath cursed." STD1 Rides really well, but jiggles with 5 psi in the front treaded rubber ring :-D Will be sorted for gratis by (local) Dave no doubt. I could do with a foot-pump in the top-box for the short term if you know anyone with a spare one? I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE (bugger, not going back) feeling of being a tad nervy riding it - it doesn't matter if I drop either the MeMW or DMW, but even a small topple causes predictable plastics problems with this one. Also I am no longer the 'Black Knight' charging across enemy territory but am now George (from G & Mildred) travelling to a bird watching convention in East Angular.

Shem & Japheth send their best wishes, but Ham's in a pig off a mood with you, what with all the jokes you've persisted in pointing at him. Oh the joys of being a 950 year old father eh?... although I must admit I did like the quip you dropped when he hurt his thigh recently in that unfortunate '85RT hair trigger suicide-sidestand accident - "Now you've got a GAMMON LEG" :-D Gammon leg/Gammy leg lol - Oh you crack me up you naughty but sometimes observatively humorous man. What would Spike 'Spine' Millington say, I mean apart from 'stop stealing my act'? Catch you soon, you'll recognise me, I'll be the sodden one floating past in the gutter/burst water main face down & un-breathing.

Have you seen the weather forecast recently, can you give me the contact details for that wood reclamation yard? and please do send a pair of those square spotted ladybugs you mentioned.

Kind regards,

Noah

* A literal tank-full is 24 litres at, say, 1.11 p/litre = 26.64 but I'll let you off the 6.64 :-D Please don't forget to take the one penny deposit already payed into account.
** Back to the good old days of unsecured 5,000,000 loans just for walking thru the door.
*** Obviously you won't have seen this in Oxfraud as everything there is always sunny & smells like rose petals of course. But then you're pic of the wet front workshop seems to indicate someone in the household is incontinent?
**** Actually that's a lie, I'm still full of shit... Can you tell?
***** Sorry, I can't offer to cover your fuel, The Chumpcellor of the Exchequer George Osbourne rang and said I couldn't as it was a regrettable but essential cost saving, and we all had to carry the burden of inherited debt together (except me).

****** This in no way constitutes an admission for legal purposes and is purely part of an overall attempt to be vaguely amusing amongst the mundanutea. It may not be used for prosecutorial purposes. Ta.

PS - How come all the other societal residuals that live here take taxis everywhere and I'm just scum that rides a wet armchair.
PPS - have attached pic of my back garden -
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 08:46 AM Reason: Asterisks! Oh the gall...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #840
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Ah, cover versions...