ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.18%
Nasty? 30 13.64%
Nasty but nice? 161 73.18%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #901
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo
A. I wish I had an accountant
Ah, so you must pay taxes then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo
B. I wish she looked like Ms. Kake
Kakey used to be the singer/bass player in a band I was in 6 or 7 years back. I christened her Kate Kutts. I didn't get involved in the music side, apart from once mistakenly ejecting the backing track with my bullet proof vest. I stuck strictly to the visuals & live vision mixing. Kate left after stepping into the path of a flying geetar @ Madame Jojos in Soho & breaking her Brane. She's married to the singer of The Defiled and as Nina Kate she runs her own latex label Jane Doe Latex as well as undertaking global modelling assignments and being blonde in:

WARNING - never play festivals in Belgium, just take it from me ok?, a sealed tuna sandwhich was the least of it...
Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #902
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Same act, better track, more than a year old so automatically old news grandad, but one of my classics...

Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #903
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Ma firzt motasickle Pt. 2

The first road legal I had was an FS1M DX bought off my friend Ian Roberts. It was similar to that shown below, but marroon/plum & more crashed/creased, & with a front disk, sans pedals & unfortunately restricted to 30mph or so, depending on what LC you got a tow from... This legislated tardiness was easily solved by the introduction of a YB100 barrel//piston/head & carb, which If remember right went pretty much straight in?
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #904
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
"odbm"

OtherDangerousBlackMf'er ............. My 88R100GS
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #905
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerone
"odbm" OtherDangerousBlackMf'er ............. My 88R100GS
Er... ok?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #906
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
I got the no-timing-marks-on-my-flywheel-blues...

Hey! Where've you all been? I haven't posted for a while due to brain/mind problems, or 'warped thinking' as it's called in CBT* land, but nevertheless here I am with a small problem that I'd like you all to solve for me, ok?

So, having offloaded the STD1 to some old bloke**, I naturally turned my attentions to the spare airhead (otherwise known as 'the best airhead in the world') This bike, assembled from a loose jumble of parts, has a weird thing going on with the flywheel....in that there are no timing marks at all on the flywheel rim. I kid you not. While I had the big lumps ( engine etc) on the bench, I noticed that the face of the flywheel (clutch side) had what looked like a purposeful 'reverse pimple' i.e. a small hole, a couple of mm's deep, which lined up with a small blob of paint (not OEM) on the flywheel rim, which I presumed had been put there by a previous owner, to provide a timing mark. Not so.....the paint blob does not show when I point my xenon timing light through the timing hole in the crankcase. Hmmmm...?

Now, as we all know, the adjustment range on the beancan (points) from full advance to full retard*** is only about a half inch at most, so I thought I'd road test the bike after setting the bean can at the mid-way point, see how it ran, and rotate the bean can accordingly until I got a smooth revving, no misfiring engine. I'm not having much luck with that approach.

First time out (of many) the bike just bogged down at half throttle...I've now got it to the point at which there's still a misfire, but on full choke it flies along, so I know I'm close. Part of the problem is that, after cleaning and resetting the points gap, and trying a new condenser etc, I suspect maybe a coil is playing up, but it could be carb settings are out....the thing is, without having the timing right, the other possible variables are difficult to judge. Anyone got any ideas?

* CBT = Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or Crap Bullshit Theory.
**One of my spies tells me that planktonnn now rides with a pipe and slippers, doesn't exceed the speed limit, and stops for old ladies to cross the road.
*** Full retard...there was a joke in there somewhere, but these 'normal' pills I'm on take away all the fun.

pjcr12 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 07:01 AM
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #907
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12
but on full choke it flies along
That might be an important clue.

Are there any air leaks around the carb spigots?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #908
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
That might be an important clue.

Are there any air leaks around the carb spigots?

Hey Lornce, that was quick! I just popped out to bring the washing in off the line (these fucking 'normal' pills have me doing the weirdest things) and there's a reply from you....

So, yes I agree, full choke and good running is a clue, I just don't know in what way...in terms of possible air leaks, I thought of that. I woke up today and decided to take off the air filter housing and the starter motor, so that I could get a better look at the flywheel rim (by the way, isn't it fun getting the starter motor bolts out?) I must have rotated that flywheel a hundred times, even cleaning the rim, and definitely no timing marks. While I had the air cleaner housing off, I checked both carb elbows and refitted them nice and tight, and after a quick blast around my personal test track (the hospital grounds opposite my house) the bike was a lot better, but still not right. It doesn't help matters that I'm running VW 'silencer' tubes stuffed in the end of the downpipes, and the front balance pipe leaks, but there's a difference, as we know, between a misfire and a backfire.....(!)

Although the bike fires up, and ticks over well enough, it still runs rough apart from when it's on full choke, so I'm starting to think the timing issue isn't the only problem. The l/h spark plug is sooty, and the r/h one is a good colour, even after swapping the HT leads over, so to my mind there's a carb balance and/or mixture issue on the left side, but the misfire comes in at around half throttle and above....mind you, I haven't been able to run the bike for long enough (and fast enough) to get it thoroughly warmed up as it's entirely unlegal at the moment. I'm thinking that maybe the problem is because....well, it could be a couple of things, but without being able to time the thing correctly, it's hard to tell. Before I timed the STD1 'properly', and first time out, it bogged down in much the same way as this one does, and was cured when I got a timing light on it; it feels the same. I'm sure the main issue is the timing.

Here's another pic of the bike, just 'cos I love it. You'll notice it has no lights...I have a theory about them. Obviously, this is a daytime bike, but I still want to be noticed by idiots in cars, and the white 'number board' is, in my opinion, just as effective as a headlamp in daylight, maybe even more so. Here in Blighty, you've got two choices as to the MOT (govt. safety check) either with lights, or without. A 'daylight' MOT means the bike has no lights at all ( designed for trials and MX bikes, although a road bike can have one) so, if you fit a brake light, you have to have a headlamp as well, so what I do is, I get a daylight MOT at the testing station ('Mad Dave's') and then when I get home I fit a brake light. It's breaking the rules, but it stops you getting rammed up the arse by idiots.....

ps You may have noticed I'm running asymmetrical fork gaiters.....this is important. The r/h is a 13 bellows and the l/h is an 11 bellows. Not many people know that this is crucial. Don't, for fucks sake, get these the wrong way around, ok?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #909
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

While I'm on the subject.....

See this shiney, chrome-plated piece of shit masquerading as an airhead front balance pipe? Don't ever be tempted by the shineyness or the fact that they're cheap. Cheap'n'shiney things are produced to get you to spend money on shit, and these balance pipes are completely crap. Even after taking a grinder to it, it's still loose and leaks like a fucker. Don't think you can plug the leaks with our old friend 'JB Weld' or an equivalent. It won't work, and you'll be driven to spending the money you should have spent on a proper one. I mention this merely in the spirit of camaraderie, and the pursuit of wisdom that we all crave, but seldom find.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #910
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Interesting approach to lighting.

What's your take on mufflers and fifties type ribbed front tyres?

edit: the "spare" rotor's a nice touch.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #911
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Ah, the beheamoth awakes...

Quote:
...having offloaded the STD1 to some old bloke**...**One of my spies tells me that planktonnn now rides with a pipe and slippers, doesn't exceed the speed limit, and stops for old ladies to cross the road.
'Old' in comparison to what exactly? It is a bit of a pipe & slippers ride, but it's just what I'd need were I to be planning to munch up the miles i.e. effortless to ride & not fatigue inducing in the slightest. It is true that I am mostly sticking to the speed limits, even though they were of course set some decades ago when 70mph really was pushing the contemporaneously available vehicles, and are therefore stupid given todays increased capability. Even being in non-poliss colours & spec the RT model still makes drivers come over all sensible & vigilant. I can only imagine what your poliss spec oilhead did to the poor mother fuckers However, if I'm sticking to speed limits it's mostly because, having gotten all set to abandon static speed cameras along with your own fair county, there've been an enormous number of speed trap/roadside ticketing operations round here lately. Regarding the old ladies, I do stop to let them cross, but that's really only because I am a latent gerontophile.

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas?
Well, I have an idea that it's stupid that the giraffe used to be referred to as the Cameleopard, but that's not the kind of idea you meant, no?

Quote:
Full retard...these 'normal' pills I'm on take away all the fun.
That's because they are formulated to ensure you're no longer a full retard...

Re general flywheel/timing mark stuff, in my humble & ill-considered 'opinion' wot I've not thought thru but thrown together from improvised roleplays of what it would be like to be a flywheel I can only 'suggets' the following crap - is it a light or heavy flywheel? I imagine I have one of each sitting in the Shedquarters, and the heavy (old) pre-'81 one definitely has marks on it. Either one could be swapped in, or at least it might offer something to measure copy marks from? If you recall when I refitted the (light) flywheel onto the STD1 after swapping the oil pump seal, I found that if I had the left cylinder* @ TDC on the compression stroke (as indicated by being the only stroke with both valves closed for those that can't picture it, not teaching Grandma to suck eggs etc. (see reference to Gerontophilia above)) then the flywheel only fitted in one place due to the 5 bolt arrangement for the flywheel i.e. @ LH* compression TDC the available lining up of holes in the fwheel & rear of the block with the timing mark nearest the observation window made it self quite evident.

Now I know the flywheel bolts were ridiculous to do up to the recommended torque on the STD1 & are recommended as a 1 use replacement stretch bolt, however the earlier flywheels have a lighter torque recommendation, that stretch bolt thing may not be all it's cracked up to be (that you don't give a fuck about that shit anyway ), & for what it's worth I usually start with a very low set torque wrench & step up until I can find what the current bolts are torqued in at. Do you see what I mean on all of that?

Otherwise it seems to me that you're off down the photocopying shoppe to enlarge a 360 degree paper dial to flywheel dimensions, setting compression TDC on the left cylinder & marking at the relevant degrees before TDC. Or you could buy one of those dials they sell, like the home made version above but proper & costing money and bad things like that.

Sorry to say that all these weak and broadly un-thought thru ideas involve pulling the gearbox I'm afraid. If any of this does make sense & is true it can only be because I've had the pleasure of visiting the Pitt Rivers & Natural 'Istory museums today to see the pointless big tree parts & am therefore (only) slighty more enlightened and awake n cleverer just from visiting the city. We all went on the bus or I'd have pulled up opposite your house and had the whole family point at it & then drive off. As it stands I still think they should have those topless tourist busses drop past your way for a taste of the wider authentic Oxfraud experience... You could be there every hour on the hour as they passed, in a loin cloth eating raw sprats & yelling local profanities. I shall write to the chairman of the relevant bus company to suggest it.

Quote:
...it stops you getting rammed up the arse by idiots...
I had no idea you were a member of the Bullingdon Club?

For what it's worth I've always thought of air leak issues being pertinent only when they were after the throttle butterfly (or direct lift needle slider of such set ups) and the reasoning I've always had has been that there it drags more fuel through the idle jet and/or needle jet? Or is it possible that it might create low pressure & lift the diaphragm? Lornce is onto a possible with the inlet subs, & I was reading somewhere yesterday about leaks there on beemers & what they'd do - the source** referred to spraying easy start over the post butterfly rubbers & inlet stubs, and that if the revs rise then it's an probable indication towards an air leak in that area. I am inclined to go with the timing & Carb adjustment thing though. But remember - don't pay any attention to me, you're quite aware I only speak shit.

And as if to prove it: Being driven into the Fair Shitty of Oxfraud this day, and sitting on the top deck as kids always want to, & being driven so I didn't have to look at the road & road related things, I couldn't help but wonder how the fuck some people get to be quite as privileged as they so obviously undeservedly are? Owning gert great swathes of land; mansions & cottages; parents who love & support them; actual futures etc. How the fuck does that happen huh? Huh? Bluddy Barrstarrds!?!

* I seem to remember valve timing & ignition timing start from the left? (as sat on the bike)
** Classic bike mag of some sort?

And now, a tail piece I like off here somewhere.
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 04:45 AM Reason: It's a secret, and will save me from a libel suit...
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #912
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

It's got the underlying framework as shown below -
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #913
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

With shape built up as shown here -
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #914
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Now I want one of these...

(Source unknown)
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #915
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Ah, Happy happy joy joy :-D

Schopenhauer Studies in Pessimism Ch1

'If the reader wishes to see shortly whether this statement is true, let him compare the respective feelings of two animals, one of which is engaged in eating the other.'

(Via Librivox)

Attached Images