ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.12%
Nasty? 30 13.57%
Nasty but nice? 162 73.30%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #106
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12
Over at the Imperial Headquarters (my shed)
Old 09-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #107
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Wicked

Quote:
instead of starting work on the fairing and tank from the std1.
I might have, by mistake, urinated on the fairing. I'm seeing this as part of the degreasing process, so technically, I have started...
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #108
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 444
Ribs on the timing chain cover

I have had a good look at 5 air heads this weekend at the I o W classic rally we attended with "Dave".

The ones with the timing case ribs all have the ribs wittled away near the frame.

Make what you will of this rambling
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #109
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Meanwhile.....

Here is planktonnn pretending to do something important whilst I take a photograph of a freshly-installed engine....and yes, the bike was whistling! Strange....

pjcr12 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 06:57 AM
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #110
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
The ones with the timing case ribs all have the ribs wittled away near the frame.
Well, yes. I have another 2 the same. It's just the sort of thing Helmut would think of isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly
Make what you will of this rambling
Thankyou, I will make a small table from it.

Edit: How was the rally?

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-06-2009 at 04:47 PM Reason: To insert a pleasant question, which is how we do things hereabouts.
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #111
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Here is planktonnn pretending to do something important whilst I take a photograph of a freshly-installed engine....and yes, the bike was whistling! Strange....
I'm afraid this tune makes no sense as you have omitted the bass part performed by the humming pile of batteries in the back left.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #112
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Puke Here amongst the Sundays...

RE: DMW - The replacement block is in, rotor/stator & starter sorted & electrical umbilicals plugged in, and, subject to a cam end thingy & installing the timing back-plate & rotor, all seems well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone/Anyone
Ah, well, no. There's a problem there you see. That splined boss there on that K75 clutch set you've bolted to that light flywheel R engine. That splined boss, on the friction plate. That won't work you see?...
That's what somebody should have said, but no. We're operating in uncharted territory here, aren't we?* The K clutch set fits on, and I believe it's the same**, but the input shaft of the R gearbox is larger diameter than the K, so they won't mate. Of course if I'd just had heavy & light & K friction plates next to each other, or sought to slip the plate on the gearbox in an act referred to by all proper mechanics as 'seeing if it fits first', I'd have seen that from the start. But I didn't, and there's a reason for that.

Quote:
You really are a twat...
I'm inclined to agree, though you could be a little kinder with your phrasing. But the clutch bit's easily solved anyway, I can pull the light f/w clutch from STD1 out of a box and compare the pressure plates, spring, ring (if there is one) etc. I just don't want to fork out for a second hand late airhead clutch set as well as the new friction plate if I don't need to. But I also want to be able to run one set of spares across a K-bike & R-head where they overlap as I own & run both models, when they're both running. You see, the confusing events laid out in this ragged thread aren't isolated - it's like this all the bloody time.

The 'being a twat' bit isn't so simple to resolve. It's said that if a person were to spend toward 10,000*** hours doing something, they would reach a level of extreme excellence. It's clear that I have easily exceeded 10k hrs of being a twat****, so I'm thinking there's got to be a Professorial Chair in 'Twat' with my name on it somewhere, and if there isn't, there should be. It's inherited you know. My father was a twat before me, and I am inevitably a twat in his twatty footsteps. Valentino had Sebastiano, Leon Haslam had Ron, and look what happened to them. If I'd not bent down to tie my shoe in that there queue for reincarnation, nobody would have pushed past me, and I'd be Prince bloody Albert of Monaco, as would have been fit & right, and better than this here now. Tell me, is there a court where I can appeal my destiny?

I'm quite looking forward to getting the DMW running. It's an enjoyable process (sometimes) but its stealing time that should be spent on STD1 so I'm unable to do my share, though I did manage to successfully salvage a 2 hole front cover today, which is now cleaned up***** & bolted on. Someone seems to have tried to mod it to go on a 3 hole timing-chain cover by gluing a small stud into the bottom hole, which normally receives the dowel from the timing-chain cover base. The stud had sheared & couldn't be gripped so I viciously carbonised the epoxy with little or no mercy, using the ever trusty heat source that we all know as our friend Gaz Torch, assisted by the ever to hand all purpose one & only pokey/scrapey tool. Heat was again the answer, and the stud pulled straight out once the glue had boiled off. Mmmmm, fumes...

Granted, it's a tiny victory, but as much as I could manage today.
Tomorrow I must order parts for the DMW, to allow the barrels, heads & rockers to be fitted, and arrange some tyres and bevel output seal for STD1. And, I am told, I must arrange a bag of MONEY. Please feel free to sponsor us in any way you can. No really.

Goodnight Sergeant-Major,

Major Brian N. Jury Rtd.

* Personally I suspect I'm making heavy weather out of simple tasks. Please do feel free to give me all the info I need in handy Neanderthal intellect shaped chunks. If you know that what I'm trying to do won't work please do pipe up. Unless you enjoy my pain, in which case join the queue.
** Though Ive not checked the part numbers as I am lazy & feckless. Please do this for me & come back with a short simple answer. Do not show your working out.
*** i.e. Degree, Masters & Doctorate.
**** In the last 2 years alone.

***** NOT polished.

Todays broadcast was sponsored by Jakes South Coast Boxers, purveyors of the finest in replacement short engines.

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-06-2009 at 07:00 PM Reason: Goddam punctuation!?! & twatty spelling.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #113
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

The only unicycle I would ever ride.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #114
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
I've never seen any bike missing it's entire ass end before. How morbid! Looks like the amputation was done in a back alley in Calcutta.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #115
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Missing ass (or arse, take yer pick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper ST4
I've never seen any bike missing it's entire ass end before. How morbid! Looks like the amputation was done in a back alley in Calcutta.
Oh we got plenty of 'em....quite common in these parts

Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #116
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Splined bosses...they're the worst!

Ah, well, no. There's a problem there you see. That splined boss there on that K75 clutch set you've bolted to that light flywheel R engine. That splined boss, on the friction plate. That won't work you see?...

Oh fucking no....!!Now that is a bit of a bummer, especially after we spent all that time talking about every single other facet of K and R clutches!! You'd have thought one of us would have thought to mention trying to slip the K friction plate onto the R gearbox splines...that must mean we're fucking idiots or something. Thankfully, we don't give a toss because we're operating on the very cusp of what is and what is not possible...pioneers like us take stuff like this on the chin 'cos well, we're operating on the cusp of what is and what is not possible....radical innovators learn through their mistakes, and I don't think we should stop now. Yeah.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #117
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

In other news....

Although planktonnn's walk on the wild side, vis-a-vis a bastardised mating of friction surfaces between K's 'n' R's, was not an unqualified success, at least his research has helped the world in no small way....meanwhile, over at Group HQ, shiny blackness is happening to the frame and associated bits....also, a box of stuff arrived from Motorworks today which will move the whole game along, i.e. a top-end gasket set so that the engine can go vroom vroom. It better go vroom vroom, or there's gonna be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Talking of teeth, mine hurt. Fucking hate dentists...bastards, the lot of 'em.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #118
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
....meanwhile, over at Group HQ.
I do so like the signwriting on the top left, is that the official logo? & can I get a t shirt/mug/jock strap with it on? Like I said, if I cant get into patents, and I can't get into copywriting then I've got to get in to Merchandising
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #119
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Question Where's the Beancan been?

RE: DMW

Quote:
Oh fucking no....!!
The now resolved clutch problem is old news, keep up with the times daddy-o, now I am being a div in another way. I direct your attention to the fact that my '78 engine* was manufactured as a 'points no can' unit with consequent cam end/timing chain cover variation. Whereas the replacement unit is an '82 'electronic beancan' motor with a different cam end/cover. Now consider that I have a Boyer ignition on the '78 engine, hooked into a '79 loom**. Can you see the problem(s)?

Can I use the Boyer system I have. How do I attach my Boyer rotor & backplate? The answer may be hinted at in the descrition at: http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/b...R43441&x=0&y=0 so I'm wondering if the E B/can simply plugs in to the wiring to replace the Boyer backplate & rotor, or a 'Points in Can' has to be adapted to contain the boyer parts. Surely it's got to be the former? *** I can feel an enquiry to Technical@boyerbransden.com coming on... But then the latter would work too?

So the question becomes - Do you (or anyone) have a 'spare' electronic bean can? Pretty please If you have I'll let you call your shed 'Imperial Headquarters' like you wanted to , and make sure your 'special mug' is clean and say your paintwork is 'to an acceptable standard for a project of this nature'

Toodle Pip!?!

* Virtually the last but one of that type off the production line I'm told.
** No CDI, different coils etc.
*** Is there anything inside the E C/can except a hall sensor? Surely I can plug it into my boyer loom & off we go? Does the E B/can pump out a pulse the Boyer brain can work with? For some vague hints on this & other mysteries I shall have to ask Dave when I go over with 3 wheels in need of tyres.

PS. That Gustav Mahler?, RUBBISH!?!

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 05:24 PM
Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #120
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Thumb

I give up, I'm off to buy a bike off the shelf http://www.motorradhandel.ch/bildext...=662&auswahl=2
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 03:02 PM Reason: Adding pictorial picture