ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.62%
Nasty? 28 13.15%
Nasty but nice? 156 73.24%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #121
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Do you (or anyone) have a 'spare' electronic bean can?

As you know (because I've just emailed you 5 mins ago) I do have a spare electronic bean can within my parts-handling department at Corporate Group Imperial Headquarters....as per interdepartmental policy protocols, I can arrange ad-hoc stock administrative quantitative easements at this time.
Please ensure you fill in form EBC43887, fold it into a paper aeroplane and send it off to my secretary.....

As to its fitment...I can't see a problem. If the Boyer replaces the bean can, then the bean can (can) replace the Boyer...this is not the same as the Can-Can, which is a dance that Parisien ladies do without knickers.

So...there wasn't a problem with the clutch boss? I'm confused....mainly because my teeth hurt and I'm feeling a bit poorly.

Before I go, here's a pic that makes me laugh, I don't know about you...

pjcr12 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 05:57 AM
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #122
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,663
See my next post ...

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...?q=10452&go=GO
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #123
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

See my next post

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...?q=10456&go=GO
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #124
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Question Now I'm BOGGLED!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12
...Please ensure you fill in form EBC43887, fold it into a paper aeroplane and send it off to my secretary.....
You have a secretary? If I had known you had a secretary I'd have had my secretary ring your secretary, together they could sort the bikes out, and we could have gone & played golf!?!* In addition to the E B/can, would you have a 'points in can' going spare for the ancient & righteous ritual of 'offering up'? Get out of bed & go & have a look will you? There's a darling. WHAT!?! It's unreasonable of me to ask an ill man to go out so late on such a grey night just because I didn't know what kind of beancan to ask about earlier? What kind of Parts Department are you running!?!

Quote:
If the Boyer replaces the bean can, then the bean can (can) replace the Boyer without knickers.
Not quite. There's no direct boyer replacement for post '81 engines which use different coils, loom & a CDI, not that I can see anyway. The '70 - '78 kit** is what I have, and is 'points no can', and the '79 - '80 kit*** would be 'points in can'? I shall have to do some digging, In the mean time compare the left (engine front) ends of the camshafts in my last 2 posts. My '70 - '78 Boyer bolts on the first. The 2nd cam is what I have now. I can't see a reference to knickers (with or without, and what year?) on the Boyer site, but I'll ask their helpline between 4.30pm - 5.30pm, which is when it's open.

So the question now becomes - If an electronic beancan can't be plumbed into the loom in substitution for my Boyer rotor/backplate****, then what's inside a 'points b/can' & can my Boyer kit replace it? How does the 'points in can' receive the camshaft drive i.e. driven by part of the camshaft like the earlier system but just points covered by the can, or an entirely detatchable points & all unit keying into the camshaft end as part of the can like the later 'E B/can'? Oh the questions, the questions. Do I even understand what I'm asking? It won't be like this after my lobotomy.

I suspect the answer lies in a '79 - '81 b/can stuffed with the Boyer rotor & b/plate, because of the cryptic sideways can't see any mention of it anywhere else reference in http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/b...R43441&x=0&y=0 Of course, If anyone had a handy photo/link of the 'points in can' beancan contents, the engine end of the can and how it drives, that would sort that one out yeah & bravo, and I can move on to some other source of confusicationism No doubt there're 30 pic walkthroughs
of this exact issue here on ADV with graphs & proper references & other posters discussing relative merits & everything, but can I be fucked to look? That's right, no.

Quote:
So...there wasn't a problem with the clutch boss? I'm confused....mainly because my teeth hurt and I'm feeling a bit poorly.
I am a part qualified community dentist, though I never sat the practical exam. I'd be happy to give it a go? Also, I am, due to a 14 page confidentiality agreement, unfortunately unable to explain how I've sorted the clutch problem as it may have involved a metaphorical selection of reverse gear, and me admitting to having spent some of your 'English Pounds'

Quote:
Before I go, here's a pic that makes me laugh, I don't know about you...
Ah yeeeessssss, I did dream about such a machine a long time ago, it must have been a dream as I've certainly not seen it out & about on the road...

* Please go back to 1976 to make this joke funny.
** http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/b...A66658&x=0&y=0
*** http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/b...A66659&x=0&y=0
**** 'Different power loads' has been vaguely mentioned?

PS. You know that Bach? HUMBUG!?!

And to end, a picture I took of pjcr12 on one of his previous project bikes...
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #125
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

G'is a job...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #126
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Pissed

Bollocking shit.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #127
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn
Bollocking shit.
Now then, now then...! Breathe.....think of the whales.....peace, love, bells, peace as we used to say in the hippy olden days...everything will be just fine. I have the spare electronic bean can (and a spare control unit) so you'll probably just be looking at a pair of 12v coils..........maybe a bit of additional wiring harness. It could be worse, you might be feeling a bit poorly because of an infected, broken, tooth. Like me. Also, you know that heart attack I nearly had a couple of weeks ago? Well, having stopped drinking whisky, and cut back on the fags*, I'm not going to die like I thought I was, so....here's a pic of me not feeling very well today. Yeah.

* Remember, ADV'er's! We're British, and fags mean something completely different over here. Actually, apart from gaspers, fags are underage boys who act as servants for posh twats in public schools**, so it does get a bit complicated.

** Also, 'public schools' aren't what they are in the US...here, 'public schools' are expensive, private schools where the children of posh twats go, to learn how to act like posh twats.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #128
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Here you go....

"No doubt there're 30 pic walkthroughs of this exact issue here on ADV with graphs & proper references & other posters discussing relative merits & everything, but can I be fucked to look? That's right, no."

This what you're looking for?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394966

From datchew's comprehensive thread, no less.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #129
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Bluhduh

RE:DMW

I thiiiiiiiiiiink... I can convert my 70-78 Boyer system with parts ROT00113 rotor & STA00164 stator (as shown in pic below), and a beancan to rip apart following the instructions at: http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/KIT..._BOX00040_.pdf

I say 'think', because I hesitate to commit to relief as a protective mechanism. I knew there had to be some way of ridding the can of the advance mechanism & hacking the Boyer Rot/Stat in. So it must be possible to pull the weights & then a standard non advancing E B/can hall sensor could (?) trigger the Boyer without the additional parts? Now, which wire's doing what?...

Stll Grrrrrrrrr.... I didn't forsee this problem when I made a snap decision to go for the later replacement engine, and that pisses me off. It gives me small comfort to know that not even Dave knew the answer to this one.

Still Grrrrrrr anyway. Grrrrrrrr.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #130
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,564
I recently read a post by Rob Farmer where he tried running a boyer-converted points can and he didn't like it... not much help I am afraid, but there you go.

**edit*** here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
I fitted a points can from a 1980 bike as a temporary measure when my standard Bean Can was playing up. The replacement can had been modified to take a Boyer electronic ignition - I ran this for a few weeks, the points ignitions have a different advance curve. I set mine up so the timing was correct at full advance but slightly advanced at tickover. It worked ok as a temporary measure but didn't run as well as the standard bean can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #131
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

RE:DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
I recently read a post by Rob Farmer where he tried running a boyer-converted points can and he didn't like it... not much help I am afraid, but there you go.
Hey thanks for that, I zipped past it & couldn't find it again in my travels from the datchew thread PJ pointed at*, to another thread, to another, to a link, to a zipfile, to another search, to another thread etc. - gathering tiny scraps of solutions from each + **

I 'think' I have a way forward now, but then what the fuck do I know, as I make public here every day My (Sub-Neanderthal) take is that in my case the mod b/can (with advance mechanism removed) would pulse into my installed Boyer box minus a mechanically induced advance curve*** The box will then modulate it with its own adv. curve, apply it to the coils and everything**** should run sweetly for ever-more oh yes? Pretty please?

Ta ta!

* Don't tell him he was at all helpful. It makes him act all happy n shit.
** In roughly equal measures
*** He doesn't mention running the Boyer system complete, and I'm 'thinking' that both the points based & CDI systems rely on the can for the advance curve. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the can The Right Honourable & Learned Lord Farmer is referring to had the adv. mech. removed, which might result in his issue?, which he resolved thru a compromise setting? I wonder if it had to have been removed to accomodate the boyer bits?***** If only I had one just the same here now, it's the exact ready-made piece I need for my particular installation
**** And I do mean Everything.
***** Please refer to my 'what the fuck do I know' bit in para 2.

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 05:38 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #132
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Wink Gi's a JOB

Can't see any BMWs in the photo gallery archive linked below, anyone know if he has any Boxers? I'm thinking he really needs a UK operation, something modest & shed sized with (comparatively) low running costs which over time can expand to become European Shedquarters of the Leno Museum franchise...

We've got a lovely set up for a spin off TV series too - 'Kuntz acoss the Road', an everyday tale of spanner based angst & revelation* It can come in quite cheap, unless you have to pay royalties on the BLEEP that they have to stick over phrases like bleep off, sheep bleeper, bleep sucker, son-of-a-bleep, mother-bleeper & Oilhead.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/photos/index.shtml

Somebody make this happen & come back with the cash will you. Thanks.

* And the regular beating of a vegatable based lifeform named Astral, he flew out in the early '80s & never came back. If you're familiar with the TV prog 'Cat Weazle' or the guy on the cover of Jethro Tulls 'Aqualung'** you'll have a pretty good idea of what we're dealing with here.
**http://remus.rutgers.edu/JethroTull/.../Aqualung.html
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 03:40 AM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #133
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Intermediate post -grammatical integrity heads-up.

Before I post the thing that I'm going to post...I'd just like to draw your attention to the fact that your asterix usage is getting sloppy. Sometimes the number of asterixes in the text don't match up with the asterix footnotes!! Pull your socks up, lad. All we have left in the 'special relationship' between the US and we Limeys is our shared love of textual/footnote connectedness, as you know. Seriously, I'm quite shocked.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #134
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,674
Indeed. Quite.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #135
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Black'n'shiny....

Here among the sleeping spires of Ye Olde Oxforde Towne, I've just had a delegation from St. Dildo's College Art department on a shed visit. They'd heard that a freshly painted airhead frame had just been completed, and guess what? They photographed it (for the national collection) and awarded me the Earldom of Bollockshire, which was nice.....

Below is a pic of the 'finished' frame; the white dots represent those areas which, on closer inspection, are totally fucking shite and have to be rubbed down and done again. The swing(ing)arm was redone today as it too was totally fucking shite. I'm not too bothered because I'm used to the fact that I have to go through one fuck-up phase before I get something right, and I'd rather do it with paint than, for instance, a bevel output seal change which will get done tomorrow...or the day after. Or the day after that. Sometime soon, anyway.