ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.12%
Nasty? 30 13.57%
Nasty but nice? 162 73.30%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #1381
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Your Hero

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #1382
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
I tell you...it's gettin' spooky around here. Have you really got a fine art degree, rightsideup? It's like we're all on some shared cosmic wavelength or something....the parallels are starting to do my head in. I think we must have all been anarchic alchemists or misteltoe-chewing druids in a past life. If you told me you had some sort of connection to the music biz in the past as well, we'd have to bump you up to 33rd Degree Martha Farquar Illuminati status, and let you in on the secret rituals for fux ache....oh, and by the way, your certificate is still at the vellum engravers, should be done for the spring equinox, if all goes according to plan and planktonnn gets in a supply of goat's blood and dodo quills, ok?
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #1383
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
planktonnn....
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
Kstuff
This is my memory & may not be entirely correct & comes with an ‘as far as I remember’ caveat but…
  1. Nope, it's a standard leaky lead'n'watter one, as per your post 1378 wherein you reveal that you ‘mis-spoke’. You didn’t of course use that phrase what with not being enfolded within the politio-elite.
  2. PAN Galactic on a good/bad day.
  3. A good K is always good, and there's not an enormous amount that goes bad IME. That, for the accronymically challenged = in my experience. Mostly the cheap ones are cheap because they don’t have good cosmetics but are fine in all other ways
  4. The last K1100s were (I think) slightly hampered by incrementally increased emissions compliance so I seem to recall the early K11s were the better by a bhp here & a ft/Lb there.
  5. The buzz is not there on the 75s, as the 1 missing cylinder changes all the harmonic 'interference fits' & there's no dissonant vibration overlaps. The K100s had two types of foot-peg mount and bar mounts solve the vibes, but either is interchangeable with the other. Bar end weights are good, but the top yolk with the h/bar rubber mount sort of 'isolastic' blocks work well for me. If the worst we can say of a bike is 'it tingles a bit after 220 miles' then do we not need to look at ourselves?
  6. Some find the S type bars put more weight on the wrists, but for me main issue was that the S bars meant you had to ride the bike differently on corner entry than with any of the higher bar sets. I very much enjoyed the ’91 K75S I had. Ignoring the body, bars & cable/wire lengths the S type is, to my memory, exactly the same as all the others in the 75 range except inside the forks. Everything but the S has the same contents in each fork, but the S has different internals/spacers on either side. Camming, injection mapping etc. are the same for the whole 75 range @ 1hp p/cc or thereabouts I think. There is an EPROM upgrade for the K100 (& 11?) that maps the fuelling sharper I think. Pulling wise the MeMW 75 does admittedly benefit from vastly decreased weight but it’s true that it pulls enough for fun but not enough for fear. I think all Ks steer well, the brick has plenty of porque (just invented it, don’t know how to measure it yet, give me time). Not quite as chugga-de-chugga-da as a boxer, but does sound very nice when re-piped with something a bit more free.
  7. The 75 makes a nimble but nippy national tourer, though one may prefer a K100 for longer pan continental treks. Only because it has that little extra to carry full full luggage & Ms. Traudel Junger. There is the buzz, but looking at the competition in the market sector/function & price range that the K finds itself in now, they’ve probably all got far worse foibles? Exhaust headers (+ mount studs & bolts all rust hideously but will hold together for decades. No particular frame fragilities or classic rust points I know of. Loads of shit gets under the air-box/on top of the engine, but just sits there. ECU has a rev limiter so Ks can’t generally be over revved from the throttle end. You can over-spin them a little with early down changes on heavy braking but then the back end just skips a little. Brakes are great, back brake is really good unlike the airhead disk, give me a well set airhead rear drum anytime but the K rear disk works. I've ne experience of the ABS, other than that they seem to need a pretty good stable 12.3v to 12.6v on the keyturn or they like to show a fault. One of pjcr21s oilheads did the same?
  8. The (low drag coefficient) K1 is the high status ‘Airhead GS’ of the K market, and so they reach stupidly high prices, well fair but above me forsooth. On the other hand I think there are certain technical electrical differences that would make them a good source of better spec inlet/airflow meter/sensor/ECU etc. to sport up, re-exhaust & dump the air-box on a K100, which contains the gert big airflow sensor on standard Ks. Parted out K1s are rare IME. I personally prefer the 6 valve 75, but a K100 opens up all sorts of 16v possibilities, with good numbers of ported/worked heads for the 4 cylinder 16v available as it's a popular modification for Mini engines. As far as I know you can retrofit back onto a K i.e. water-ways etc.
  9. Stuff like top boxes or pannier rails/cases/liners tend to go for too much money for my mind
  10. K’s of all other kinds can come in real cheap & offer significantly better value than their 2nd user segment comparators. On the other hand don’t pay toooooo much for one because there’s plenty around to choose from. I like the much undervalued K. I like it very much.
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 05:36 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #1384
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
I tell you...it's gettin' spooky around here. Have you really got a fine art degree, rightsideup? It's like we're all on some shared cosmic wavelength or something....the parallels are starting to do my head in.
I really, really have. I agree though, what with that, the bald acid parrot and everything else there's definitely something afoot.

rightsideup screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 05:06 PM
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #1385
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsideup View Post
I really, really have. I agree though, what with that, the bald acid parrot and everything else there's definitely something afoot.
When do you expect the vellum to be posted out?
well, in actual fact, that's difficult to say at this juncture, rightsideup, mainly because I'm on the Emva Cream at the moment, as I inexplicably seem to have run out of Tesco Whisky...bleeeeuuuurggh, it's horrible but that was all that there was in the bottom of the pantry cupboard. Still, it's better than nothing, but only just. As to the vellum, it's difficult to say, but definitely before I get elected to the House of Lords or planktonnn grows a beard down to his knees, whichever comes first, ok?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #1386
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsideup View Post
I really, really have afoot.
+
Quote:
planktonnn gets in a supply of goat's blood and dodo quills, ok?
I'm really sorry but there really does seem to have been some form of mis-speaking somewhere down the line about all of this. The documents don't in fact need to be signed in the blood of goats at all. No, they must be signed in the blood of Hugh Coates, which as pjcrrevengesweetrevenge19 will know, is no simple matter as most of it dried up some age ago.

Secondly I really don't know where all the feathers come into it. The certs aren't signed with a Dodo Quill pen, that would be a palpable nonsense, no, they are simply signed using a Dodo shaped dildo, which is far simpler to arrange as you will appreciate, because we know, we all know, that somewhere out there will be someone selling exactly such a product...

Such errors are of course regrettable, however we do hope you'll appreciate that after years of running with minimum silencing, accuracy of hearing during meetings is an issue we obviously ought to address.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #1387
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
As a part of my vast backstory, I suddenly remembered I have an honours degree in Fine Art and, as such, am blessed with an eye for detail, and a penchant for visuality, so in terms of your problems with seat hump orientation, here's my considered opinion.

As you can see, I have drawn some red lines on the MeMW, and called them 'A' and 'B'.....hang on a minute, I've got to go and have a crap....ah, that's better, now these lines - as you will note, they are divergent and, as such, they disturb our mental equilibrium, thereby creating discord in what we call our 'minds'
BMW is f'ing with my 'mind'!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #1388
edray
cascadian

Oddometer: 224
now i'm interested...

i had absolutely no interest in the new sixes, until this concept..
wow.
edray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #1389
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Ah, crazydrummerdude...aloha, it's not only BMW that can fuck with your mind, have you seen the Martha Farquar 'Tea Head' video...? No? Ok, here's a brief preview...

Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #1390
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
It is very nice isn't it.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #1391
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by edray View Post
i had absolutely no interest in the new sixes, until this concept..
wow.
Ah..edray, welcome to the ranch...I don't believe we've had the pleasure of your company before. I know absolutely nothing about these 'sixes', are they six cylinder or 600cc's or even six-speed bikes? What I do know is, I've just invented a brand new cocktail, and it's really nice, you should try it. Here's how to make it:

a) Get a chilled can of pepsi and empty it in a tall glass
b) Go round to your grandmother's house, and steal a bottle of her thick and syrupy Sherry (I use 'Emva Cream')
c) Glug the sherry into the pepsi in generous proportions
d) Enjoy

I think I'm going to call this sophisticated cocktail a 'Martha' and, until such time as I can get some decent drinking-whisky, it shall be my tipple of choice, prior to making posts in this thread....

I'm currently working on a riposte to Lornce's cheeky posting of Top Gear videos, but I haven't quite got the angle I'm searching for yet, but it's only a matter of time......
Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #1392
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Ah...planktonnn, I'm pretty much 'Martha'd' at the moment, but I have two questions for you:

a) What the fuck is it with these 'sixes', what sort of animal are they?
b) Did you ever locate that Dodo Dildo you were looking for?

Yours etc

pjcr(infinity)
Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #1393
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Bmw 6

I posted some stuff some time ago about this but I can't be arsed to find the references, but it looks like the attached I think? If you grab

1. Various developments around valving on this six.
  2. Mix that in with the stock SS1000R.
  3. Throw in a little bit of '1000cc production based engines in prototype chassis being eligible in the blue riband MOTOGP category in a year or two alongside 800 cc GP prototypes'.
  4. Add the potential gradual merging of World/AMA Superbikes with Moto GP -
& then you've got a recipe for BMW in GP racing.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #1394
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Its all in the lines apparently?

Ahhhh, Now I get it -
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #1395
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Cheese, planktonnn, at least someone in the corporation has the ability to monitor and understand current developments....I take your point re 'the lines', it's vital to get as many in as possible, and then some are bound to be relevant (arf arf). I bet a BMW in-line 6 has got to be one stormin' MoFo, but I feel sorry for the poor fucker who buys a second-hand one, in about 5 years time, and has to shell out multi-shekels for a new set of headers, probably set them back a couple of grand....d'you think we might stand a chance of getting one on loan, you know as 'we're in the business'? Anyway, that's not my bike of choice, see below....( yes, it's my birthday very soon, and thanks very much indeed, you're my bestest friend ever)
Attached Images