ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.74%
Nasty? 27 12.80%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.46%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #1396
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
Please don't nuke it. I promise not to call you Dude anymore. At least as far as you know. If you nuke it they will have to up my dosages and thats gonna cost more money. Also, I ride alone and don't know anybody else that will tolerate my stupid questions.
how do you know they are stupid if no one answers......oh wait a minute
Old 01-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #1397
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Not that bloo's questions are ever stupid, but even if they were, that would fit in well with the Martha Farquar vibe, as both planktonnn and myself were in the '86 Olympic Synchronised Stupidity team, and actually won a shiny bottle top each and, in fact, we still train most weekends, just to keep our hand in.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #1398
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,575
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Ahhhh, Now I get it -
Funnily enough, the more I look at this the more I can see the connections & confluences of where the significant lines line up, so to speak, and the points where various lines intersect coinciding with the placing of design features. I won't bother to make specific references* or produce a version that's tidied up - you can see what I mean though?

* Except maybe just to suggest you follow an obvious one like the line that starts along the rocker cover line, how it intersects other lines at the seat/airbox/tank junction (including the main nose to tail line), and then ends at the termination of the the line running from the top of the seat unit. An interesting 'insight' into the difference between looking 'in' and not.
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 01-15-2011 at 09:38 AM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #1399
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

It's a bit like the Target Design MV Augusta -
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #1400
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Which is a bit like -
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #1401
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

But not at all like -
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #1402
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

The '82 Ferrari 126C2 designed (primarily) by the genius that was Harvey Postlethwaite has, to me, always been an example of the addage 'if it looks right, it is right', I liked it anyway -
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 01-15-2011 at 10:28 AM
Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #1403
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

But then it was driven by a favourite of mine who was a massive natural talent -
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #1404
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
I see where you're coming from, planktonnn, which (I think) is to consider the visual as it presents itself, and extrapolating from there...however, here's my thoughts....

Irrespective of what might be called 'design style', form still very much follows function in that ergonomics is the predominant influence. If we stripped off the 'cladding' (seat, front headlamp and fairing and tank) we have a machine created for a human form to be able to sit astride, and control. As we know, motorcycles are based upon a 'standardised' human dimension (height, leg and arm length, spine flex, joint articulation etc) which is why people like me find it hard to get a bike to 'fit' us....

The secondary considerations, such as wheelbase, seat height, vehicle mass, suspension type etc are factored in, in relation to the ergonomics, and thirdly 'style' or more acurately 'fashion' are brought in as the outer skin, for instance in the form of a non-round headlamp and moulded indicators....

Within this element, there are production determinants which will influence both the 'structural' and 'style' considerations, in terms of what can be made, as well as how it all works together in the production line assembly sequences, will have to be thought through.

As a result, and as a consequence of all this human design activity, it is of course possible to see an aesthetic at play ( 'the lines' ).

In regard to the BMW '6' bike, at some point the designers will have wanted to build a bike with a six-cylinder, in line, across-the-frame engine. The 'forward slant' of the engine will have required a specific hanging frame to accomodate it, which the 'standardised' human form will then have been superimposed onto, ergonomically, in terms of footpeg, gear and brake pedal, and hand control positioning. The rear suspension choice
( the 'fashion' for monoshocks in the current trend) will have also determined seat style and position. This leaves the tank to be shaped to fit the available space, and the front fairing/indicators will serve the dual purpose of wind deflection and covering up electronics, cables and so on.

My view is, that any designed thing cannot help but have an aesthetic end result (the 'lines') so long as it's intention is inherently human and true to form/function...the funny thing is, the bikes that you and I like best, are ones which we strip down to their basic functions, and they're still good-looking, because our 'human' needs for our bikes are true to our particular aesthetic ideals, if you see what I mean. Bikes that are built based upon crass 'marketing' are usually ugly in one form or another, for instance Harley's, that get fucked up on a weird 'live to ride' ethic and an even weirder hangup on a totally spurious Hell's Angel myth, whereas a genuine Hog (of any sort) that focuses on two wheels, an engine and somewhere to put your arse, is good looking....

Thank you for the opportunity to actually use my thinking bone...it's been a while, and I'm a bit rusty, but the next time we actually get together, we can discuss this in practical terms with big rulers, lengths of red tape, an enormous protractor and some herbs....
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #1405
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Another favourite from that time frame is the Brabham BT52 -
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #1406
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Which of course ran the BMW 4 cylinder turbo engine -
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #1407
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

It may be entirely apocryphal, however I think the story always was that the engine was fragile in its early incarnations maybe due to detonation at higher turbo pressures. It was based on a production block, and I seem to remember they found that using high mileage tempered recycled blocks was the answer to the fragility (along with purportedly very illegal fuel) & off they went -
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 01-15-2011 at 02:31 PM
Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #1408
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
...usually ugly in one form or another, for instance Harley's
You're rather disparaging of that brand for a person who has an expanding collection -
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #1409
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Of course current regulations severely limit a designers options, unlike the old regs -
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #1410
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Veeeeerrrryyy Interst-tink...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
I see where you're coming from, planktonnn, which (I think) is to consider the visual as it presents itself, and extrapolating from there...however, here's my thoughts....
All food for thought re MeMW K2. I guess I'm just looking at the lines already present in the tank/frame/sidepanel lines, and looking to extend or plug into them with the lines I make the tail piece follow. Not always an easy task with a K -
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 01-15-2011 at 11:32 AM Reason: Pic edit