Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #16
jwduffin
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Excellent report! I wish I had made plans to go with you guys. I'm in next year!
jwduffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Pr0xy OP
Shreddin' the gnar

Oddometer: 341
8/22 – Do you know what time it is? It’s business time.

Ok class, there’s a lot to cover in this lesson, so let’s get started…
7:00am. The alarms go off and we slugs ooze out of bed and get ourselves ready to go.

The tentative plan is to hit the Rosebud/Reno Ridge/Deadman Gulch loop today. We’ll trailer up to pring Creek Reservoir and hopefully meet up with Tom and Dave by 9:30am.

It takes a good hour or so to get to Spring Creek from our location, so time is of the essence.

We retrieve the trailer from the trailer parking area and get the bikes loaded.

We then head down the road to the Trading Post, gas up, get water, and a light breakfast. I’d forgotten all about the magical Potassium sticks known as bananas this trip, so the search was on for something, anything, that would keep us energized and muscles relaxed. Aha… OJ. 420g of Potassium per serving. That’ll have to do.

After downing some carbs, we are on the road to Spring Creek. 45 minutes or so later, we arrive, and it’s about 9:45. Uh oh. I look around, but I have no idea what vehicles to look for and it looks like anyone with a vehicle has already hit the road. Oh well, we go park near the north end, where I remember Dozer was camped last year.

We get all suited up and whatdy’a know… no2tracks (Dave) pulls up. KEWL.
Dave and I go over what our plans were, and he tells us they were planning on going over to Block & Tackle. I wasn’t quite sure we were ready for that as it seemed too far away from where we were.

Dave and I:

Dave then heads back to meet up with Tom and they both come back. We decided to all go do the Rosebud loop, then Dave and Tom will split off at that point. We’ll take Flag Creek to Bear Creek to Rosebud.

Then… Cody gets a funny feeling. Apparently, a bug of considerable size was under the 2 layers of his jersey and pressure suit and he couldn’t get it out. We mostly stared and laughed as he did some kind of dance to try to convince the bug to leave.

It finally worked, and it was revealed that it was the same bug we’d seen in our cabin the night before.

Being a KTM colored bug, its life was spared… this time.
With that, let’s hit it!

Working with the gate on Bear Creek:

Bear Creek is a really fun trail. Semi-technical with a good bit of fast singletrack mixed in. We got to the intersection of Deadman Gulch and Bear Creek to take a few pics, and Dave pointed out that my silencer was loose and rattling. Great. Apparently I’d lost a bolt and the one that was left was fairly stripped as well. We wrapped about 5 layers of safety wire around it and it held… kind of.

Cody posering:

Me posering at the start of Deadman Gulch:

At some point between Deadman Gulch and Rosebud (on Bear Creek), my friggin’ silencer decides to fall off completely. I’d lost 1 bolt earlier and now, apparently the other one let go as well. It sounded cool for about 3 seconds, and then I pulled over. I was more or less riding sweep at this point, so everyone was ahead of us. Ugh.

I got out the safety wire and went to town. A few minutes later, all was well again and we met up with the rest of the guys at the start of Rosebud.

L to R – Tom, Byron, Dave, Cody:

Rosebud is now one of my favorite trails. It isn’t like the normally smooth singletrack you find along the contour of the mountains. Instead, it’s very rocky open singletrack that can be challenging if you’re not used to letting the bike do the work in loose stuff.

Tom took the lead. Cody and I followed suit, blazing up Rosebud most of the way. We were going at a very good clip, and neck and neck, when Cody suddenly slows down. “I think I have a flat he says”, but I couldn’t tell. He starts going again and the trials tire is flopping all over the place. I honk to get him to stop and confirm that he definitely had a flat. (I told you it was rocky).

He says he has a tube and Byron (behind us) has the tools. I make the decision to go up ahead and tell Tom what the deal is. There’s a spot of shade several yards back that they use to work on the tube situation.

At the top of Rosebud, Tom and I take the opportunity to rest for a while in the shade.

Meanwhile, 2 miles back…

That’s about the biggest hole I’ve ever seen in a tube.

About 20 minutes later, the rest of the crew comes rolling in.

Cody:

Dave:

Byron:

Once we’re all back together, we see a few Missouri boys coming down Reno Ridge from the south, apparently buddies of Steve Leivan, 16 time Missouri Hare Scrambles Champion. Cool.

We chat for a bit and they continue on Reno Ridge to the north.
We discussed following our original route up Reno Ridge to hook up with Deadman Gulch, but Byron says he’s feeling good and the opportunity arises for us to continue down Reno Ridge to have lunch in Almont. Tom asks which way we want to go and Byron says “Whichever way there’s food! I’m feeling good!” With that, we head down Reno Ridge, towards Almont.

The next section of Reno Ridge to the south was a little tricky, but VERY fun. I’m no hardcore rider, but I like anything that gives me a challenge and any hill I can’t make up the first time is just that much more fun to me. On this section of trail, I even let out a few audible “woo hoo”s (you’ll hear those on the video later). It was just really fun technical stuff and I was eating it up.

I stalled the bike right before a small ledge about halfway up one of the hills and back it up about 10 ft to give it another shot. Byron had already made a run on the hill behind me though and ended up dropping his bike because I was blocking his line. Sorry dude!

I get the bike up to the top and once everyone else meets there, we have a little pow-wow.

Things are looking good, so we hit the remainder of the trail.

It’s mostly downhill from here, lots more rocks that are like riding on bowling balls. Good stuff for sure.

Tom, Cody and I hit the next trail intersection about 4 miles down. No sign of the other guys yet, so we take a moment to rest and chat a bit more.

The moments go by and still no sign of Dave and Byron. “Well, that last section was pretty rough, maybe Byron is having a little trouble” we thought.

We wait some more… and some more.

Then, Dave comes rolling in.

“Byron is down, I think he broke a few ribs”, then Dave makes a u-turn and heads back the way we came.

Uh oh. This isn’t good. Thoughts start going through my head. What happened? How bad was it? We’re miles from any road, and they aren’t easy miles. This can’t be happening, not now. Was Dave serious? Oh no!

Tom, Cody, and I jump on our bikes and follow.

We ride… and ride… and ride… all the while thinking “Man, how far back did he go down?!”

Finally, about a quarter mile from our stop at the top of the hill, we see him and Dave. Byron is laying on the ground, with Dave talking to him. Byron is conscious, but in a lot of pain.

After going over our options, and assessing the situation, Byron decides he wants to try to stand up. He gets up with the help of us, but then says he feels like he’s in shock, so sits back down… slowly.

We take his gear off and wrap his kidney belt around his torso, to hopefully stabilize things a bit. He says it isn’t helping, so it comes back off.
A few more minutes go by and Byron collects himself a bit more. Of all the things NOT going our way, at least he wasn’t coughing up blood. It hurt to breathe, but he could take short breaths.

He doesn't remember much of the crash, but as best we can figure, his front tire got a hold of the side of a rut and threw him and the bike completely off the trail at speed... fortunately, in a spot with very few rocks.

Byron then decides he wants to try to ride down. We’ll have to go all the way back to the start of Rosebud to catch a 4x4 road back to Spring Creek Road. My immediate thought was “This sounds VERY dangerous. If he falls and makes it worse, things could REALLY go south from here.”

He insists though, so we gear him back up and help him on his bike. He’s a former marine, so if anyone can do this, he can.

It was slow going, and he stopped frequently to catch his breath, but he kept the bike upright, even through the hairy stuff.

We helped where necessary and made absolutely sure he didn’t continue on if he got to feeling worse.

Tricky downhill for a guy with an abdominal injury:

It would be a stretch to pick a more beautiful spot to go down:

The last tricky section:

We traversed our way down Rosebud, to the jeep road, and back to Spring
Creek Road, where we were able to pick up the speed a bit. All in all, things worked out well for the situation. Byron never once fell and took on the task like a true warrior.

A big Kudos to Tom and Dave is also in order. Cody and I could’ve very well taken on the task by ourselves, although with a little bit less assurance due to fewer helpers if things got worse. Instead, Tom and Dave stuck by us the whole way in. They is good people for sure.

Back at the truck, we got things settled and got Byron in a chair. We gave the OK for Tom and Dave to head back on their own ride since this was a bit of a deviation and we could take things from here.

Byron then offered for me and Cody to go riding a bit more. While tempting, we didn’t want him to try anything dumb, like loading or riding a bike while we were gone. Simply put, we just needed to get loaded and get back to the cabin.

So, that’s exactly what we did.

Byron was still in pain, but hungry, so we drove by the Nugget Café one last time for a good dinner. It was tough not to joke about the situation, especially since Byron said that laughing hurt. That was essentially an invitation for the rib jokes to stream on endlessly in mine and Cody’s heads. “Hey Byron, is it ironic that you ordered the PRIME RIB tonight?!” Oh man, good stuff. He laughed in humor for a minute, and then it turned into painful laughter. Hell, we actually almost felt sorry for the guy! It sure is tough to keep a guy with a broken rib in good spirits if you can’t make him laugh.

Back at the cabin, the bikes were already loaded on the trailer, so that saved us some trouble getting ready to roll out in the morning. We’d picked up some Coors beer at the Trading Post and took it easy for the next few hours, enjoying the last sunset we see up here for a while.

Coors, taste the Rockies:

Farewell Taylor Park. We’ll see you again next summer.

It wasn’t the ride we’d planned, since so many had not been able to come, there were a few bike issues, and some fairly serious injuries, but it was still a complete blast riding up there. A bad day at Taylor Park is better than a good day… just about anywhere else.

See you guys on the next ride. Thanks for reading. Thanks to Byron, Cody, Tom, and Dave for making it truly EPIC.

Videos will be up this weekend.

'88 KDX 200 - Restoring
Rides :: Albuquerque to Vegas 2011 | Colorado 2009 | SLAP 2009
Pr0xy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
Pr0xy OP
Shreddin' the gnar

Oddometer: 341
BTW, Byron is going to be ok and is on the road to recovery. Here's a message he sent me a few days ago:

"I have a contusion, fracture in my back (the rib), broke my hamate (what ever that is) in my hand. I also have hematoma that is bleeding into my lung. I am getting an MRI for it in the morning.

Long story short... I'm going to live and be riding again soon!"

Feel free to chime in with any additional info there guy.

'88 KDX 200 - Restoring
Rides :: Albuquerque to Vegas 2011 | Colorado 2009 | SLAP 2009
Pr0xy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
pride

You forgot the injured pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0xy
BTW, Byron is going to be ok and is on the road to recovery. Here's a message he sent me a few days ago:

"I have a contusion, fracture in my back (the rib), broke my hamate (what ever that is) in my hand. I also have hematoma that is bleeding into my lung. I am getting an MRI for it in the morning.

Long story short... I'm going to live and be riding again soon!"

Feel free to chime in with any additional info there guy.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #20
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Nice, thanks for the ride.
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #21
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

btw

CodyY needs to change his screen name to IWillHaxorYourBike. Thanks for the jetting help.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Did you get it swapped back out? I'm running a 172, I'm betting you need a 168 or so.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #23
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

I'm running 175 and its running like a champ. I also adjusted the needle from 5 to 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
Did you get it swapped back out? I'm running a 172, I'm betting you need a 168 or so.