Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,317
F800GS chain and battery

2009 F800GS
6256km, broken chain. 600km east of Chita, Russia. SIde plate broke. Replaced with a new master. 7056km noticed a clicking noise...2 more broken side plates. Chain lubed daily as well as checked-adjusted daily. 800lbs with gear and me. Replaced chain with D.I.D. and have ridden (hard) all through Mongolia with no issues.

Factory Exide battery took a dump about 100km east of Ulan Ude, Russia. Turned the bike off and it wouldnt start again. Multimeter showing 10 volts. Wouldnt take a charge. Replaced with $25 Russian POS battery...worked all through Mongolia and back into Russian with no issues so far.

Fuel gauge randomly sticking at full or empty depending on the day. Side stand is awful and my bike has fallen a few times even on hard level ground even with the foot enlarger.

Getting frustrated.

Other than that, I love the bike
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,435
F800gs Battery

My bike was one of the first issue US models...the battery is shot....Is there a replacement under BMW...or just bite the bullet and spring for an oddsey?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
BMW warrantied my battery. Good dealer told me to just bring it in, instead hauling my dead bike 60 miles, as required by corp to see if it really won't start . By luck they were out of the 800 batteries and gave me a brand name battery.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
wonder if that 800 lbs could have anything to do with it?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
I assume you are referring to me. In the future I will put the F where appropriate for your reading pleasure
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
My bike was one of the first issue US models...the battery is shot....Is there a replacement under BMW...or just bite the bullet and spring for an oddsey?
There wasn't/isn't a BMW Motorrad dealer anywhere close and I didn't want to carry the dead battery and mangled chain for thousands of miles in hopes of getting warranty. I am confident in the D.I.D. chain and I will replace the battery with an aftermarket one once we get back to North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis
wonder if that 800 lbs could have anything to do with it?
I was thinking that the extra weight may have been the reason for the chain issues but the roads we were on when it happened weren't too bad and the bike is well under GVW. The D.I.D. I replaced it with now has more miles on it with the same weight. The abuse it was subjected to in Mongolia was much worse than what the original had on the pavement/gravel in Siberia.

Was just curious if others were having simliar issues.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,402
So much for the "reliable chain drive" that I read on BMWs advertisement. I'm amazed that they still can't get the fuel gage right three years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
So much for the "reliable chain drive" that I read on BMWs advertisement. I'm amazed that they still can't get the fuel gage right three years later.
3 years... Since at least 2002 with the 1150GS fuel gauges have had issues...
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
There wasn't/isn't a BMW Motorrad dealer anywhere close and I didn't want to carry the dead battery...
FWIW, my battery began to fail in the middle of BC ... Had a new one bused to me in Jasper. My chain is still good though, but the battery lasted 2500 miles.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,435
Talking F800gs YXT-14bs battery - Wally World's version is a ES14BS.

Wal-mart Battery for the F800gs is a "in-stock" battery.- I noticed the motorcycle battery that fits the f800gs is a 14BS - the same as the R1200gs. Wally World battery has a "GS" logo on it. Exactly that same logo as the BMW "GS". The battery is a AGM...sealed Gas matt battery. You have to add the electrolite...let it sit for 1 hour then charge it for 3-7 hours at a 1 amp rate - not to exceed 2 amps or it will damage it.

The story of GS.....
GS Battery is the American subsidiary of GS Yuasa Corporation of Japan, which are formed after the merger of Japan Storage Battery and Yuasa Battery in 2004. GS Yuasa group is comprised of the company and 87 subsidiaries and 45 affiliates and with revenue exceeds US$2 billion.

I installed this one on my F800gs and will see how it works out. Price...$65.00 (9.00 core exchange fee)
Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
Wal-mart Battery for the F800gs is a "in-stock" battery.- I noticed the motorcycle battery that fits the f800gs is a 14BS - the same as the R1200gs. Wally World battery has a "GS" logo on it. Exactly that same logo as the BMW "GS". The battery is a AGM...sealed Gas matt battery. You have to add the electrolite...let it sit for 1 hour then charge it for 3-7 hours at a 1 amp rate - not to exceed 2 amps or it will damage it.

The story of GS.....
GS Battery is the American subsidiary of GS Yuasa Corporation of Japan, which are formed after the merger of Japan Storage Battery and Yuasa Battery in 2004. GS Yuasa group is comprised of the company and 87 subsidiaries and 45 affiliates and with revenue exceeds US$2 billion.

I installed this one on my F800gs and will see how it works out. Price...$65.00 (9.00 core exchange fee)
The Yuasa battery that was in my Can-Am Renegade lasted 4 months before taking a dump...so Yuasa is on my do not purchase list ; )

Hope you have better luck than I did!

Camel ADV screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 09:50 PM
Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
HitGirl
Ride on

Oddometer: 44
Please forgive my NooB'ness but anyone know if a tenderer would have helped? Also, would a tenderer for a 650GS work for the 800?
HitGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
No tender will help with crappy quality. I trust my adventure riding with Yuasa YTZ series on all of my bikes. My Husky had a stock Varta battery that was crapping out on everyone even with or without a tender. They short internally and fail catastrophically. Exide seems to be no better on our BMWs so swap it out now for the best. Keep an eye on your chain and when you see signs replace it with a DID. Earlier F800GS came with a cheap no name chain but my BMW came with a CZ chain that looks OK but I am keeping a close eye on her for cracks or wear. I usually get 10,000. miles out of a dual sport chain. Time will tell.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #14
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
Earlier F800GS came with a cheap no name chain but my BMW came with a CZ chain that looks OK but I am keeping a close eye on her for cracks or wear. I usually get 10,000. miles out of a dual sport chain. Time will tell.
Mine was a CZ, spit out 3 links (separate occasions). The DID lasted the rest of the trip (27,000km) with no issues.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 AM   #15
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Good to know I guess I just ordered the DID 525ZVM2 chain now and should minimize the risk of punching the engine case. Thanks for the info. I did not know the new thicker side plate CZ chains were also failing since the 2010 models all got 0.2 mm thicker side plates on the CZ chain and have a more sliver finish to them then the 2008 and 2009 model CZ chains that were a black finish.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 09:48 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote