Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
I figured the battery issue was the result of me leaving my Hellas on, so didn't consider that it might be a POS. I replaced with the Wally one and no issues.

Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 AM   #17
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
You are right again JoelWisman. Odyssey makes a great battery too I use in my truck and trailer.
You can do more research and find many KTMs, Yamahas and Huskys all getting upgraded to Yuasa YTZ batteries over the last 5 years. So I am not the only one that has a good experience with the YTZ series in particular not all Yuasa/Exide batteries.

You have an amazing amount of criticism to other peoples opinions and experiences as I have seen your other posts on other threads as well. I was only posting my opinion and experience no trying to start a war with your knowledge.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 12-31-2009 at 02:19 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
This site often seems to be pretty full of criticism. I just don't see the distinction between criticizing someones opinion and criticizing someones work product or design.
You don't see the difference between forum experience and personal opinion!

Fact: People are experiencing Exide Battery failures on F800GS models around the world. Varta had the same sudden failure issues on many Huskies world wide as well. Note I said crappy quality. The ones that hold up work great but QC on these things seems to be a challenge for the manufacturers.

Experience: I have had great luck with the Yuasa YTZ series batteries on all of my bikes!

Opinion: Mine is based on the above. But it is only my opinion to share with the rest of our forum members. There is no reason to take this personally JoelWisman.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 12-31-2009 at 12:00 PM
Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you were not taking it further than stating your experiences and opinions and slamming others on the forum.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #20
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
No Issues

2009 F800GS - 7000 kms

Stock Chain - No Issues - Cleaned and Oiled every 3000 kms with Motul cleaner and road lube. It has only needed one small adjustment so far.

Stock Battery - No issues - Put it on the tender only when its cold or for storage.

Maybe I have been lucky?

FWIW my last bike, a '93 Nighthawk killed its lead acid Yuasa after 6 months. It was only $10 more for the YTX, and the Honda dealer didn't have any other brand. I was stuck at the time and didn't run to Wal-Mart or elsewhere. The YTX was still going strong 2 years later when I sold the bike. Same conditions for the tender. So who knows?

I think that batteries are fickle things. All that it takes is one plate or piece to break and short inside. My dealer has a release form that releases them from responsibility for the battery. They practically impose a tender on you (I refused, because I already had a Yuasa one ). But they do make a point about not crying to them if you leave the bike sit for a month and it doesn't start

My 2 cents...

Hopefully we can all get along before this gets tossed to Jo mamma

Old 01-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #21
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
I do however believe that an automated charger will help extend the life of any battery if the bike is not being ridden for at least an hour a couple times a week.

Because almost all f800 batteries show significant sulfating, a battery tender would not be my first choice. though better then nothing, battery tenders are better at keeping betteries charged then dealing with sulfating that has already occured.

I'd suggest people look at the newest charger from Yuasa or look at the fancy sweedish battery charger who's name I can't recall.
Joel:

Have you ever heard any comments on this charger ... they say all the right words

http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...--p-16151.html

Thanks!
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #22
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
800 lbs of weight shouldhav enothing to do with chain failure.

a 165 hp sportbike with 500 lbs of fueled weight, and a 200 lb rider and his 100 lb passenger wouldn't readily snap a chain. Why would a BMW with half the power snap it?
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #23
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
800 lbs of weight shouldhav enothing to do with chain failure.

a 165 hp sportbike with 500 lbs of fueled weight, and a 200 lb rider and his 100 lb passenger wouldn't readily snap a chain. Why would a BMW with half the power snap it?
On the road I would agree. On nasty washboard gravel I would disagree. The rear tire constantly getting and loosing traction as you travel over rough terrain puts a lot more stress on components than even a high HP road bike does.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #24
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Under similar circumstances but after only 3 hours, AGM batteries hooked up to the Ctek 3300 charger test 100% full.
Thanks Joel!

Being that they are about the same price and the Ctek is a lot more versatile I'm going with one of those!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #25
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
I bought a Powerlet socket battery harness (http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...arness/327/690) that I plan to hookup directly to the battery for a variety of purposes.

Is it OK to hook up a Ctek or similar charger through this harness and charge the battery with everything connected?

Thanks.
ba_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #26
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,669
Deka

Does anyone use the Deka batteries, if so what are your thoughts?

also +1 on the ctek chargers. Mine are permanently connected when not riding.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #27
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_
I bought a Powerlet socket battery harness (http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...arness/327/690) that I plan to hookup directly to the battery for a variety of purposes.

Is it OK to hook up a Ctek or similar charger through this harness and charge the battery with everything connected?

Thanks.
That's essentially how I do it. My socket is a panel-mount on the left side.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #28
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
I don't want to be "that guy", but to the OP...

-How many miles did your chain have on when it failed?

-What care routine had it undergone to that point?

-What was the ambient air temperature? Had it regularly been subjected to below-freezing conditions?

-What was the age of the chain, in years?

Chain drive is well sorted in 2010. Even if CZ chains are not as good as DID or RK, they're still modern and good. No manufacturer, of course, is immune to one-off quality flaws and I'm not saying you didn't experience this. However, before cyberspace goes nuts (and you just know this one thread will be sixty-five thousand failed chains and the cause of the Mars Rover mission failing within a few weeks...), it's important to get all the circumstances out there.

Chain drive is reliable, but requires care, attention and maintenance, including regular replacement. BMW Australia specify in my service manual that the chain should be "inspected, and replaced if required" every 12,000km / 12 months, and just plain "replaced" every 36,000km / 36 months.

I know less about batteries, and had a run of bad luck with Yuasa batteries on my DR650, but I think it was just bad luck - they got dropped over and over in unlucky ways.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #29
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I don't want to be "that guy", but to the OP...

-How many miles did your chain have on when it failed?

-What care routine had it undergone to that point?

-What was the ambient air temperature? Had it regularly been subjected to below-freezing conditions?

-What was the age of the chain, in years?
-6200km when it failed (as stated in first post)
-Adjustment checked and lubed every morning (riding 400km-500km a day)
-30C, no below 0 temps
-bought the bike in mid April, chain broke mid July.

Someone else asked about Deka. I used on in my ATV after the Yuasa POS died after only a few months of us. I ran the Deka for a couple years and it was going strong when I sold it. The cheap replacement (all that was available) that's in the bike WILL be replaced with a Deka.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #30
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
-6200km when it failed (as stated in first post)
-Adjustment checked and lubed every morning (riding 400km-500km a day)
-30C, no below 0 temps
-bought the bike in mid April, chain broke mid July.

Someone else asked about Deka. I used on in my ATV after the Yuasa POS died after only a few months of us. I ran the Deka for a couple years and it was going strong when I sold it. The cheap replacement (all that was available) that's in the bike WILL be replaced with a Deka.
That's pretty crap then, I'll agree!

(I wasn't asking the questions to be a dick, just so we can all get a picture of what to look out for.)

Sorry to hear about your run of luck. Best wishes!