Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #61
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
if you can get one other persons help, just have them sit on the bike, back seat if they are tall enough, preload all the way down if nessesary.

Have them bounce some. The tension is right when 99% of slack comes out of the chain but it never gets tight tight. Make sure the bike is in neutral.
That would have to be one really heavy person to be able to compress the suspension enough to align the sprokets and swing arm just by bouncing on the back.

They'd have to be about 300 plus pounds.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #62
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
I just had a chat with the dealer. The recall is for early bikes (don't know exact which range). As I understood it they check the chain/sprockets and replace if needed. The person I spoke to was quite convinced that my early '08 would need new chain and sprockets, so the 10th of June my bike is in for a swap (i hope)
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #63
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
if you can get one other persons help, just have them sit on the bike, back seat if they are tall enough, preload all the way down if nessesary.

Have them bounce some. The tension is right when 99% of slack comes out of the chain but it never gets tight tight. Make sure the bike is in neutral.
Or just use a ratchet strap wrapped around the frame and swing arm to cinch it down.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #64
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
Or just use a ratchet strap wrapped around the frame and swing arm to cinch it down.
I've tried that and it will not work. Way too much tension on the ratchet strap making the ratchet impossible to actuate.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #65
Penguin69
You pay as you go

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe
I just had a chat with the dealer. The recall is for early bikes (don't know exact which range). As I understood it they check the chain/sprockets and replace if needed. The person I spoke to was quite convinced that my early '08 would need new chain and sprockets, so the 10th of June my bike is in for a swap (i hope)
Mine is a 2009 machine, and I got a recall on that too. Got a letter yesterday, haven┤t had the time to check with the dealer yet.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #66
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,787
Mine is a 2009 model year with a manufacture date of September 2008.

Actual recall bulletins I've had done for my bike (all paid for/covered by BMW):

-Coolant Hoses
-Front Axle
-Fuel Level Float Lever
-Breather Valve Retrofit for Charcoal Canister (Just got it, have yet to get the work done)

Warranty work (all paid for/covered by BMW), not bulletins:

-Cracked Fuel Tank, replaced tank
-Clutch Failure Disaster, replaced clutch assembly
-Snatchy Throttle, updated firmware
-Coolant Pump Seal Failure, replaced pump
-Fork Seal Leak, replaced seal

Wow lots of stuff! You'd think I'd get the chain and sprockets recall...
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #67
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
-Breather Valve Retrofit for Charcoal Canister (Just got it, have yet to get the work done)
You'd think I'd get the chain and sprockets recall...
And, let's not forget that the recall for the cannister came out in December of '09! That means it took 6 months for you to get notice and for the dealers to have the public ability to actually get the fixes done.

If there's a chain/sprocket recall coming you can bet you will get it . . . . . in about 9 months from now . . . or longer.

However, as I've stated many times before, if there are "issues" with a bike or a part on it, there will be little to no action done if no one knows about it. This does not mean telling BMW. We all know how that works - "Problem??? We've never heard of that!"

Report your issues to NHTSA via their on line format -

LINKY

And, Joel, I don't want to hear your kool-aid story about this. It works, it's what we as a consuming public have as an avenue to report issues, and if we don't report it to the proper place where things can get done, nothing will get done.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #68
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,808
Got a DID 525 chain put on a week or two ago. Checked it today and it's stretched like a piece of elastic! Would you normally expect a lot of stretch on a DID chain?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #69
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,146
I sure wouldn't ...
Even my cheapie CZ chain only needed modest adjustment @ 600 miles then nothing for about 5K miles after that...

I did have a DID O-ring chain once that was not properly lubricated ...
every other link pin for about 8 link pins was very tight after just being on the bike for a short while. DID replaced it straight-away when I called them about it.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #70
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Got a DID 525 chain put on a week or two ago. Checked it today and it's stretched like a piece of elastic! Would you normally expect a lot of stretch on a DID chain?
What is the model number of the chain?

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #71
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike
What is the model number of the chain?
It's the 525 ZVM2 I think. As fortune would have it, there was a little motorcycle/moped repair place round the corner from my hotel in Milan (I didn't have the 24mm socket with me so needed help) and the guy there helped me to adjusted it and (from my very limited Italian) seemed to think it was all okay and normal.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 05-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #72
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
I installed the same chain several weeks ago. After a 2000 mile ride I noticed it had stretched quite a bit. I readjusted when I got home and after 1000 miles it has remained as set. Perhaps it initially stretches and then settles down. That is what I heard from several riders at the shop. I will report back if it continues to stretch at the rate it did right after installation. I purchased this chain because it had the highest tensile strength rating by DID and was also said to be their best wearing chain. We'll see, I'm not worried right now.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #73
Wildman
In my castle

Good to know. I'd done just over 1000 miles when I noticed.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #74
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Chain Recall?

I just did just over 11,000kms on my last trip, which put me over the 20,000kms inspection. When I got back, I brought in the F800GS for the 20k service, and they told me that there was a recall on the chain and sprockets!

Anyone else get this?

I am going to post this in the recall thread also... if you're all lucky, I will post the notice
Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #75
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
I just did just over 11,000kms on my last trip, which put me over the 20,000kms inspection. When I got back, I brought in the F800GS for the 20k service, and they told me that there was a recall on the chain and sprockets!

Anyone else get this?

I am going to post this in the recall thread also... if you're all lucky, I will post the notice
haven't seen any notice of this in the USA, but it may be about to hit. BMW tends to do campaigns in stages as it's a lot to handle worldwide logistically all at once.

It will probabbly hit the USA late July, if it hits at all, but if our friends up north get a campaign usually so do we.

Europe is on a different planet and I've seen them get recalls and campaigns that we don't and visaversa.

Frack! That's a big job with an endless chain, right when were already sweating to death in the Midwest.

Oh well, it will be good for some overtime, if it comes to the USA.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote