Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #61
Donmanolo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
This one is just fantastic..thanks for sharing..! As far as I'm concerned I couldn't care less if you're not riding anymore and there are no bikes involved in the RR, as long as you keep posting your incredible pictures.

Be safe.

A.

Donmanolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #62
zorsch
vanvandero !

Oddometer: 157
a very great report !

i am planning a about 10000km trip on my 125er aswell, and i am so looking forward for winter to pass
(which just begun .. duh lol) and man would i love to set off today already ;)

AUSTRIA - CORSICA - SARDEGNA - 3000km solo on my 125ccm :
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485483
zorsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #63
testrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Great RR and pictures!

Dan could get away from a lot of things there because he looks like... you guessed it, a foreigner :-) Basically, anybody who looks like a foreigner can get away easily from a lot of things that are illegal there and you get much much better hospitality from the police and local people just by looking 'foreign'. What I'm saying is that, I'm a Chinese American and I have never been in China. But if I did what Dan tried over there, I would be throw in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suqsuda
Hey Dan, loved your RR; what I admired and respected most was the way you wholeheartedly and deeply immersed yourself in China and connected with the local people -- riding a Chinese-made bike, wearing the dog-collar coat, living on the local economy, picking up a hitchhiker, invited into Chinese homes -- which is also something you can do only when traveling alone. Actually reminded me of the book about Alexander Supertramp (although without the craziness) even before I noticed your similar moniker which I am guessing is intentional? A couple years ago I rode a Chang Jiang from Yinchuan to Ejin Qi through the Alashan, which I'll put in a RR some day -- but I can't say that I got as close to the land and people as you did. All the best in your future journeys.
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #64
dhfox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider
Great RR and pictures!

Dan could get away from a lot of things there because he looks like... you guessed it, a foreigner :-) Basically, anybody who looks like a foreigner can get away easily from a lot of things that are illegal there and you get much much better hospitality from the police and local people just by looking 'foreign'. What I'm saying is that, I'm a Chinese American and I have never been in China. But if I did what Dan tried over there, I would be throw in jail.
First of all, nothing he did should have gotten him thrown in jail, and if a Chinese person did it they would have not had any problems with police either. (This is 2009, and China in many respects is more free than America.)

By the way, I hope you get the chance to come to China soon and see it for yourself. You will absolutely love it.

dhfox screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 06:06 PM
dhfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #65
contacterich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Wow!

Your RR is great - your photography skills amazing!!! Thank you...
contacterich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #66
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
One of the very best rIde reports ever.

Your ride report and photographs are great. I can only imagine how much you must have enjoyed living a true adventure and making memories that will last forever. Your journey would have made a great documentary film that would have put "Long Way Round" to shame. It's great to see someone doing a truly epic ride on a small (and cheap) bike. I have read it once and will have to go back and read it again.

Ride Safe!
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #67
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
The thing that strikes me most about your trip and your photos is that you obviously have incredible people skills. No matter where you go, you seem to get into the thick of things with the locals in no time at all. Super impressive.

That, and your amazing attitude. The crazier things get, the more you seem to relish them.

My hat is off to you. You really seem to have the zen of life thing down.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #68
CstrikerDan OP
DanO Supertramp

Oddometer: 55
dhfox is right. Nothing I did should of got me in prison, but I had heard stories of tourists off on there own taking pictures unknowingly in a sensitive area and then finding themselfs in prison for a few months. Added a little edge to the trip in my mind . What a story that would have been.

I really appreciate the comments.
www.dantpeters.com
CstrikerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #69
White Stripes
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Moerse cool report. How long can one live to do all these kind of journeys?
White Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #70
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I think you're stupid to attempt a ride like this without the proper gear and experience, but fuckit I am jealous for not being as stupid myself. Awesome stuff, I truly admire your guts and the experience you must have had. Some really good photography as well.
Dustdevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #71
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripes
Moerse cool report. How long can one live to do all these kind of journeys?
I don't think most of the guys on this forum could appreciate the term "moerse"
Dustdevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #72
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
I don't think most of the guys on this forum could appreciate the term "moerse"
adj. South African slang meaning really big or numerous.

Moerse? Bilksem! Fokken great word, but how the fok do you pronounce it?

I love this fokken picture man! Fooken moerse !
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #73
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said before, but the heck with it.
Fantastic photos, marvelous job all around.
Thank you so, so much for sharing, it was an excellent read, and what a way to spend some travelling time. Bravo!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #74
wvdeuce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I loved your RR and the photos. Your Finace report (financial) was appreciated. Most posters do not even touch that area and we all are wondering what some of these Adventures cost. Good luck in what ever you do and keep the photos coming even if you do not have a bike.
wvdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #75
cain
Who me?

Oddometer: 147
How?

Nice pics. How did you manage to organise this trip? I was planning to do a ride from Shangai travelling west to the Stans but the cost of paperwork and red tape from the "authorities" has changed that trip to russia/mongolia and then the stans. I have not noticed any shots including the compulsory "guides" that have to follow in the 4wd that they were trying to hit us up for.
cain is offline   Reply With Quote