User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Hamilton Felix OP
Part Time Good Guy

Oddometer: 306
This time the Snow Won

This is my first internet access since Wed. the 10th.
Thursday morning, March 11th, it was cold and rainy in Darrington. I took the bike. Slushy by Newhalem, but you know me, too stubborn to quit. Snow up in the canyon. About to the highest point in the canyon, I lost it, went down really quickly and just slid to a stop.

When I tried to get up I knew I had a problem. Pretty soon some friends came along, helped get bike off the road and hauled me to fire station in Newhalem. My left fibula is (I think) only broken once up high. But I made the tibia into a jigsaw puzzle, and did it pretty far down. Surgery Friday afternoon went well. I now have a mostly titanium tibia on the left side. I'm supposed to put NO weight on the leg for 6 weeks or so. Frustrating to sit at home with lots of books and TV but not getting anything done. Oh well, could have been worse.

Progressive insurance has $500 deductible. Rody and Joel picked up the bike for me. Rody thinks we can have ready for the road even before I’m ready to ride again.

Just wanted folks to know I'm OK and that's why I've been offline for a few days.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction."
-- Thomas Jefferson - (1743-1826), in a letter to John Adams

Hamilton Felix screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 09:49 PM
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Judotrip
Torqued to the Max!!

Oddometer: 42
Glad you are ok. You are a madman riding in that stuff. You will be more then ready to ride an so will the weather once your leg can take some weight...
Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,485
I ate some snow a couple weeks back. But I only broke a turn signal.

Heal fast. This sucks.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Hamilton Felix OP
Part Time Good Guy

Oddometer: 306
Talking I'm BAAAACK!!!

Finally got back on the bike July 9th. Just so damned HAPPY to be riding again. I think one's perception level goes up when on two wheels. Suddenly I'm NOTICING all the new "blacksnake" the DOT crew added to "my" highway; it didn't matter when I was driving a cage.

I really have made a resolution to avoid snow. I had been caught in it once or twice before, and sneaked out OK. I should have parked it and stuck out my thumb. Every car that goes by there on a winter morning will be a co-worker or someone who knows me.

Well, at least I have an appreciation of older pickups, with gutters so a guy with a busted leg can grab on while standing on the good leg, and just slide in...

Walking with crutches and then a cane have made me appreciate good health. I REALLY THANK big Brian Jones for lending me the crutches. After his "titanium femur" healed up, he was happy to lend 'em out.

And the windshield bracket Brian gave me, along with that little part to fix the busted end of my shifter, got me back on the road -- after Rody's skill straightened the left bar end and the Givi crash bars (which DID protect the side of my tank).

It's a good life if you don't weaken, and I'm not planning on weakening any time soon.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction."
-- Thomas Jefferson - (1743-1826), in a letter to John Adams
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote