User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
Uncle Ernie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
De-Coking with water?

Royal Enfield says to de-coke the piston, combustion chamber and header every once in a blue moon. Recently I heard of people spraying water in there to accomplish this! (I envisioned a pressure washer...)

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I get a spray bottle and go in through
the carb while the bike is idling? How much water and for how long? I assume I do this just prior to an oil change? Might a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water be even better?

Thought about posting this in "Garage", but thought I'd have better luck here. Guess a kindly old moderator who lives in a tree will decide...?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
240sx4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Don't use a pressure washer! If you use that much water you will end up with a hydrolocked motor I imagine.

I suspect a spray bottle set to mist is more what they are thinking of. For that matter, wouldn't doing a seafoam treatment really be the way to go? Spray that into the carb and let the motor sit? Then fire it up and smoke out your entire neighborhood.

Evan
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,938
I've done this with many cars over the years, bikes too. I'd been told that water injection makes for a really clean engine and a friend showed me how to do it. With cars, just dribble it down the carburetor or into the intake plenum. Keep the revs up a bit or it might die. A bunch of gray smoke will come out of the exhaust.

With the beemers I've opened up the vacuum ports and hooked up a piece of plastic tubing. Then while the bike is idling, or revved a little, dip the tubing into a jar of water so it sucks some up, then It'll stumble a bit, so take it out. It's not a big deal, just don't go overboard, and take it easy till you get the feel of it. I'd imagine it's possible to break a ring doing this, so don't inject much at first.

I don't know how much it takes to remove all the carbon since I've never done a before/after comparison, or even tore one down after doing this.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
240sx4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Wirespokes, sounds exactly like the directions on the bottle of seafoam. Good stuff.

Evan
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
GARider
Wandering Thru Life

Oddometer: 239
Many moons ago, like late 60's early 70"s when I was in the garage business we would run a little water through the carb while doing a tune up. It helped knock the carbon of the valves and smooth out the idle. I had a small Coke bottle sitting on my bench and used half to all of it. You had to run it up to 3 or 4 thousand and pour slow.

I was talking to a Datsun mechanic one day, yes Datsun if your old enough you will remember, and he said he would pour a little rice in the engine. I guess it was like glass beading with out having to pull the heads. Never had the nerve to try that.

Roger
GARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,262
I saw a mechanic pour some that old style gritty hand soap in his carb once. He was a licensed Ford mechanic. I'm sure that Ford did not train him to do this. He did it on his own car, but it certainly did not inspire confidence. The older guys just stood around shaking their heads. That was all I needed to know about the technique. Water makes a little more sense. I would actually worry about it pitting the internals though. I'm sure the small quantity required wouldn't hurt anything but steam can be very corrosive. Also, I would tend to worry about those pieces becoming dislodged and traveling through my engine. Maybe do a few oil changes afterwards. I'm sure some of it would find itself in the crankcase rather than going out the exhaust port.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,470
I use an old Windex bottle or something similar. Remove the air filter, and run the revs up when you spray...I've done it on 40 or 50 motorcycles and cars so far with no problems...SeaFoam works great too...
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx4u
Wirespokes, sounds exactly like the directions on the bottle of seafoam. Good stuff.

Evan
Let it sit 15 minutes or so, then aim the exhaust at the Homeowner's Association President's house.

Change the oil and filter afterwards.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,623
Until someone does the water trick and posts before and after photo's (seafoam as well) I will fall into the "you have got to be kidding that you really believe that is going to work" camp... just beacause a number of folks have done it and the bike didn't hole a piston doesn't mean there was any "significant" positive effects....

Now, as I am a trained scientist, please read the def of "significant" before arguing your point please

That being said, I will absolutely do it when I get my next running airhead project bike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Until someone does the water trick and posts before and after photo's (seafoam as well) I will fall into the "you have got to be kidding...
Pretty funny! So you want me to take the head off and see how coked up it is, put it back on, do the water injection, then take it back off for the 'after' pix?

I've been thinking of pulling the heads on the R100 (just because there was a little bit of pinging in the recent hot weather - running regular) to smooth the sharp edges. Maybe I'll shoot pix of the water injection and what the heads look like once they're off.

Did you know there was something called water injection that would inject water into the engine while it was running. There actually was such a system. There were benefits from doing this, but I can't really put into words what they were - I want to say the engine runs cooler and stronger and possibly gets better mileage. But not sure about that - it's been a long time since I've been around any of that stuff.

But... have you ever noticed how the engine runs so much smoother and quiter when it's foggy? It's all that damp moist air it's breathing. The water turns to steam in the combustion chamber and has an effect on the carbon that blows it away. Also, the steam is a much more gentle force on the piston than the fuel, and the two of them together create a better charge.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Some back ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

No mention of de-coking though.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Here is the Aquamist 1S Water Injection system used on a lot of turbo drag racing applications. They rebuild these motors quite often though.
http://www.bigccracing.com/shop/prod...?idproduct=194
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Until someone does the water trick and posts before and after photo's (seafoam as well) I will fall into the "you have got to be kidding that you really believe that is going to work" camp... just beacause a number of folks have done it and the bike didn't hole a piston doesn't mean there was any "significant" positive effects....

Now, as I am a trained scientist, please read the def of "significant" before arguing your point please

That being said, I will absolutely do it when I get my next running airhead project bike...
I heard this process can simultaneously cure baldness and causes penile growth. Unfortunately, your bike won't run any better afterwards.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
I saw a mechanic pour some that old style gritty hand soap in his carb once. He was a licensed Ford mechanic. I'm sure that Ford did not train him to do this. He did it on his own car, but it certainly did not inspire confidence. The older guys just stood around shaking their heads. That was all I needed to know about the technique. Water makes a little more sense. I would actually worry about it pitting the internals though. I'm sure the small quantity required wouldn't hurt anything but steam can be very corrosive. Also, I would tend to worry about those pieces becoming dislodged and traveling through my engine. Maybe do a few oil changes afterwards. I'm sure some of it would find itself in the crankcase rather than going out the exhaust port.
The 265s in 55 Chevys had ring seating problems. The factory advised mechanics to pour some borax down the carb. That allowed the rings to seat. Sounds like that was what that mechanic was trying to do.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
The 265s in 55 Chevys had ring seating problems. The factory advised mechanics to pour some borax down the carb. That allowed the rings to seat. Sounds like that was what that mechanic was trying to do.
Yeah, except it was a 79 Firebird. He was trying to loosen a stuck ring. I think it the end all he did was score the hell out of his cylinders though. He didn't work there for very long.