User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Oddometer: 50
Ashtray Aermacchi

I am replacing fourth gear on the transmission counter shaft. I told you all the trans would need is a fluff and buff. It is taking a little more than I anticipated. If replacing the gear doesn't bring the counter shaft integrity up to my standards, I will replace the shaft as well.

The following pictures show the crankshaft ready to be pulled into the left crankcase half.

All of the bearings are installed and I am in the process of fitting the transmission. And finally, a shot of the transmission being fitted to the right side, crank case half.
Next we mate the crank case halves with the center case gasket in place and check the end play of the "main shaft", and the "counter shaft".

The next shows the cases being pulled together.

The crankcase is buttoned up and looking good. Then we check to insure that the transmission shifts well. A few of the other things that have been accomplished are; New clutch seal, a new camshaft seal and a new cam support bearing are installed in the right side crankcase cover.

BTW, the new transmission shifts smoothly . It also looks like a new set of clutch plates was installed just prior to the bike being parked! Some guys have all the luck!!
earlyWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #17
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Ashtray Aermacchi

Hello again, Mr. Wizard,

The seals and "o" rings are included in the gasket set so they are already here.

I fully intend for you to be as proud of the finished product as I will be. This is rather fun you know! Being able to help bring another classic bike back to meaningful life.

Have I mentioned that these bikes are a personal passion? You know I have.

A lot of time at the bead blast cabinet and the parts washer and everything has cleaned up nicely.

As promised, your motor is buttoned up.

It went together well and should be a good one.
VBR, Jason
Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Ashtray Aermacchi

Hi there once again.
I'm sending along some pictures to to print out and stare at as you lay awake making motor sounds and twitching your throttle hand. Try not to drool on the pictures as it causes the colors to run. As you can see from the pics,

...the frame is now RED! The only hang-up is the chain guard. Some of the lube had worked it's way into a seam over the years. It didn't get cleaned out before it was coated and put in the oven. I didn't see it after I scrubbed it, and it couldn't be seen after being cleaned and blasted by the powder coater's staff. The heat of the oven just boiled it out. I requested that they sand blast it again and run it through a heat cycle to see if it had all come out. We will go from there. It should take about a week to cycle through the re-coat process. I should have the bike put back together by then and on two wheels.

...here are some more progress shots of the bike.

There are new tires on the wheels, and a new chain to go along with the new fork seals.

Everything that gets bolted to the frame means another hole to clean and treads to chase, but it is finally starting to look like a motorcycle again. I could get to like the red frame! It was a good call on your part.

The list of "TO DOs" for the project is getting smaller! One day soon we will hear it pop to life. The tin work is only on the bike for your benefit at this time. Just to show you what the color combination will look like. It really is pretty striking.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 549
OOH, im diggn; the red frame my man, I havnt seen too many stock sprints with the frame painted red, good to see the projetc if coming through!

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #20
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,547
Wow!

And fascinating from the perspective of a bmw guy... so very different...

Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #21
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Ashtray Aermacchi

My Friends,
Kind words, thanxxxxxxxx! The red frame shows up on many early Aermacchis that have the tube frame. It is rather unusual to see a cast iron frame done in red however. When Jason asked me about repainting the frame, I believe, from his comments, that he considered a re-do of the original black in powder-coat and should it be satin or shiny finish. I immediately said, "Fire-engine, Ferrari, Guard'sRed, one of those." He wrote back an, "OK, it's your bike and I want you to be happy with it..." note. As you see in the copy, he responded by liking it after all.
My point here is, along the time line since I bought my Kawasaki 120 in 1967-68, motorcycles began loosing the "see-thru" individuality of the art/engineering that made each bike different from one another.
This 1971 350 has a different design heritage that I wanted to share with others from first impact. The frame, then the fuel tank, and the single bolt headlight mount all in the same breath as that "ashtray" head. Later on the fuel tank and fenders will be finished in 1977 Porsche Viper Green. For now, I am enjoying the weird stock green, now that I worried the excess Harley-Davidson decals from the tank. That was very difficult because there was a thick clear-coat finish that locked the decals in place.
My 1968 Laverda has an orange repaint, not bad, but I may make it red someday.
Thanxxxxxxxx!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500476
Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
Kismet
vagrant philosopher

Oddometer: 387
Saw this in Madison, WI, CL

Parts for small amf harleys - $1 (verona)

Date: 2009-09-30, 11:57AM CDT
Reply to:
sale-byfeq-1399784336@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Selling parts for small amf harleys, engines, rolling frames, tanks fenders, ect please email with your needs

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1399784336

Doesn't seem like you need anything, but just in case, here's the ad.

Gonna be a great bike.

'75 R90/6
'78 R100/7, well really, R80/7
'87 Radian/fj600
'81 C70--IT'S ALIVE !!!!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #23
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Nice work earlyWiz. You have a PM.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Ashtray Head Aermacchi

Mr. Wizard,

We still need to finalize the wiring, put on the chain, the chain guard (not back from the powder man yet), install the carb, install the tail light, modify the front fender and decide what to do about the handlebar situation.

The only bar I have that will work for you is painted. It is a real neat bend from an ATV, but not in chrome. The bar I thought I had for the bike turned out to be bent. They are so thin, or of such poor metal now that they really cannot be straightened successfully.

The bars need to be steel, as the tang that locates them (keeps them from rotating in the rubber dampened clamp) needs to be welded on. The bars I have on the bike now (the ATV bars) are perfectly suitable for the time being. You might decide that you hate them anyway.

I was saving them for the '66 "H" project but will leave them on the bike so you can see what you think of the bend. Bars are pretty inexpensive and I wouldn't go to the expense of having these chromed. The last handlebar that I had chromed ran $50.00! I will squirt these a pleasing color so they won't clash until you can decide on a replacement set.
Very Best Regards, Jason

Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #25
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,103
Same process with the amals on my old brit bikes. Just a light tickle till the gas just drips off the float bowl and a healthy kick. Personally I like that method better than chokes or 'fuel enricheners' on the modern carbs. Ticklin always works right off.

BTW, nice bike you're doing there. Did the motor NEED a rebuild or are you just doing it because.
2006 HD Sporty 1200C, 2006 Triumph Scrambler, 2001 Ducati M900, 2001 Honda XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1978 Honda CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Honda CB750K, 1965 Honda 305 Dream, 1973 Norton 850 Commando, 1971 Triumph Trophy 650, 1970 Honda Trail 90, 1970 Triumph Tiger 650, 1973 Honda Z50, 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000, 1981 Honda Passport 70, 1970 Suzuki T250, 1971 Yamaha RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Irutt

Just a tickle worked in my college days. Now?
As regards the rebuild; Jason began doing it because he wanted a buyer to be aware that the investment was in reasonable condition. This, of course, was meant to be a thorough check out, inside and out. As he said in his e-Notes to me, it was just as well that he did do the teardown because he found seals as well as the plugged crank-pin. Jason enjoys these motorcycles and wants those of us who end up with one to enjoy our machines too.

I have to point out that, in the next year plus, I will be installing a set of road Dunlops, or the like, tires. To follow will be a European touring handlebar or a clubman-style bar. While the tank and fenders will remain the same, the seat may be changed to a racing saddle...

Toolbag, tankbag, and saddlebags will be brown saddle-stitched leather, but because of the cost, will be done a piece at a time. Later, the Laverda will get a similar treatment.

earlyWiz

Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #27
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Ashtray Aermacchi

Well, well, well. Here we are once again.

I never imagined I would find a porous fork slider! Just when I was certain that I had seen everything! Good thing I have one in reserve. I will expect to get the new fork seal on Monday or Tuesday, and will R&R the culprit the same day. If everything else goes well it will be ready to go home by the next weekend. I would like to ride it a couple of times and make certain all of the bugs have been exterminated.

I hope the bike has turned out just like you expected it would. Sorry the pictures aren't as crisp as they should be. I let the light slip away while I was beating my gums. I am actually pretty pleased with the finished product. I never thought I would like the RED frame and Green body work, but it looks really Italian.
Very Best Regards, Jason

Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #28
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Ashtray Aermacchi

Hi, Everyone,
So, Jason and I agreed to meet for lunch at a nice Mexican restaurant where we would have lunch after our six hour drive to Dallas, Oregon from the Mouth of the Rogue. Lady Whimsey and I waited for about fifteen, maybe even thirty, minutes before we heard the Walter Mitty "Pocketa pocketa pocketa" of a healthy single cylinder motorcycle working its way through one of the local main streets. We watched as it waited for the light to change, then watched as it, rider attached, mind you, popped down to where we were waiting.

Understand that Jason and I had been operating by e-Mail and telephone conversations. We were about to meet for the first time. Nothing could really go Arai, wearing a helmet this colorful. Still, Jason's rugged Northwest tan and movie-star features remained discretely covered by his "flash" topper with matching gloves, until...

...You mean to say we almost knew each other back in the old OMRRA days of the mid-seventies? Why, hell, it's almost like we went to
different schools together!

PART THE NEXT:
Now, Jason, that turned out mighty nice. Sounds pretty too. What th heck was Charley Ferguson thinking when he applied those decals all over that cute fuel tank, anyway? The word "Sprint" isn't too bad, but OMIGAWD! five white stickers announcing that it's a Harley-Davidson branded motorcycle...Sheesh!
Still in all, she's a sweet looking machine. Needs a name though. Don't you
think?

All right, folks,

...the last time I was in this position was in a BMW shop in Portland, where the salesman held a small fan in one hand, tossed dead bugs into the air-flow as the wind pressed against my face, all the while making vroom-vroom noises with his mouth hoping I could be talked into buying a new Funduro.
This is way more fun. I get to make my own noises; diet has much to do with sounding like a single cylinder. Lady Whimsey decided to take some pictures----------upwind!

"Good grip," says one.
"Good Grief!" says the other, "Does he ever stop talking?"
"Is she really mine?" says the first.
"Paid and delivered," says the second, "I'd kinda like to have the tires back after you find some that you like."
"OK!" replies the first one.
"Shake on it!" responds the other, "It's a deal. then?"
"Yup!"

The little Aermacchi, with the Hardly-Wobbleson "Hard-To-Guide" foot peg, gear lever, and brake rubber covers and fuel-tank stickers, is at last loaded into the Frontier for the six hour drive back home to Gold Beach. Once there, Lady Wimsey and I will celebrate with a meal at Sector's "Barnacle Bistro". [http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=gold+beach] Fish & Sweet Potato Chips washed down with "MonkeyFace" Porter, or Evan's Reuben Panini with a glass of real honest-to-goodness Southern Oregon Foris Vineyards pinot.

Racin' Jason returned to his planet, via his finely crafted flying craft, where he would rejoin the cadre of imaginary internet friends who regale or assail me from afar.
Thanxxxxxxxxx! Jason Winn, this has been a great experience. Next, I shall prepare to learn starting procedures and how to ride.

earlyWiz screwed with this post 10-20-2009 at 08:35 AM
Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #29
Kismet
vagrant philosopher

Oddometer: 387
"....and they lived happily ever after."

:)

'75 R90/6
'78 R100/7, well really, R80/7
'87 Radian/fj600
'81 C70--IT'S ALIVE !!!!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #30
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Ashtray Aermacchi

"And they lived happily ever after!"

Not quite, Kismet, not quite.

While Lady Whimsey wasn't looking, I took a Virgin Tour around the neighborhood about two months after the Aermacchi came to live with us. What took so long? you ask. It took me that long to remove the Harley-Davidson and AMF (American Machine & Foundry) decals from the fuel tank. Also, the motorcycle needed several starting lessons. I know, I know...

Lady Whimsey arrived home in time to tell me to go around the block one more time. At my age you get used to having been around the block. She smiled, I so full of myself there wasn't room for a glass of water, away I went.

Upon my return, I staged the photo-op grin, heartened by the strong idle sound like a Fairbanks-Morse stationary engine, and...

...checked the brakes for the first time. The Forester and the Solara inhaled their respective posteriors before collectively exhaling their combined relief that the brakes did, in fact, work.

Behind the dry-toothed grin that my dentist and my periodontist have sculpted out of bank accounts and promissory-notes, lies the psycho-cybernetic processes best left to Dell, Micro-Soft, and Apple. A right brained artist who once passed himself off as a mechanic wondering, "Why did I have to push this thing up the hill back there?"

Fortunately, Lady W. wasn't the wiser until she noted the puddle of perspiration that soaked through the shirt and the vest I chose to wear for working on the foundation drains, before she left for town.

Ala d'Oro, Ala Verde, Ala Nero... among the names borne by Aermacchi motorcycles. Gold Wing, Green Wing, Black Wing... I may have to settle for "Ala Inominata", "Wing with No Name"

Jason believes that the thirty-plus year-old clutch plates (dry-clutch, I might add) might just have disintegrated. "They looked pretty, but were probably pretty dry. Time to get in touch with Moto-Italia in Petaluma..

As of this entry, I am still teaching the "Nameless One" more about starting procedures.

Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!
Earlywiz