User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #136
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
Day 19 - Missouri and points east

Another cold morning and wonderful nights sleep, warm shower at the campsite in the morning to wake up, and on the road again by 7am. Just in time for rush hour it seems, Jefferson City was bustling and crowded, and US50 had been mostly "improved" to either a 4-lane expressway or through the heart of the city. Boo... Eventually it cleared up though, for a while anyways:

Another rest area, this time for an early snack, to stretch out and adjust layers accordingly again. And because it was pretty.

Getting closer to where I would cross back into the "east" again, another little roadside attraction, only this time the road was the attraction:

Part of the original US 66, preserved and out of use, replaced by US 50(?) and others.

Old and new

"Then you took me to St. Louis later on (down the river).
A freighter said she's been here but she's gone, boy, she's gone."

Sorry US 50, you were fun while you lasted but you aren't on my route anymore. Flying blind at this point, the Garmin doesn't understand my fixation on my new destination nor my desire to stay off the interstate so I resort to the old fashioned method of maps. Fortunately the route was simple to follow as there were roads taking me just about directly where I wanted to go in the manner I wished to travel.

Illinois backroads

Hello Indiana

Lots of rivers to cross today.

We're definitely out of the plains now, back into the eastern woodlands

As I got close to my next river crossing, the hills turned into great towering limestone cliffs, riddled with caves and coves and trails that begged for exploring.

But alas, daylight was running thin and dammit, I need that drink! One last river crossing... and about 60 miles to go...

Tomorrow, a well deserved day of rest. Mostly.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #137
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 579
Love the way your number plate is all dirty and illegible

I guess Missouri Five-Oh were looking the other way.

You guys in the US seem to have different laws state by state for plating a dirt/enduro bike for road use.

I assume once a bike is plated and deemed road legal in one state then it can be ridden throughout the country?
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #138
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès
I assume once a bike is plated and deemed road legal in one state then it can be ridden throughout the country?
Yes, each state offers "reciprocity", for lack of a better term, to the other states and respects their registered vehicles and equipment laws. For example, some states require two plates and some states only require one plate for cars, but the 1-plate cars can operate in the 2-state plates. Same for window tint laws, lighting laws, etc. As long as you are compliant in your home state you are legal in every state.

But.... his WR250R is 50-state street legal from the factory.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #139
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Yup, the bike is 100% street legal from the factory everywhere in the US.

I don't clean the bike on road trips, hence the muddy plate. Yeah... thats it.

Day 20 - A well deserved rest

Pushed another 450 miles the day before to make Bardstown, KY by around 10pm. Time to see where my favorite spirits are made! I rode about 40 miles today to get to and from my initial destination, the rest was spent on foot. It was nice to be off the bike for a little bit.

First stop... Time for that drink:

First stop, the Maker's Mark Distillery. Its about 30 minutes outside of Bardstown in Loretto, KY. Everything was shut down for summer cleaning as the water temps from their source was too high for optimal distilling, but the tour still took us through the entire facility.

Inside one of the warehouses:

The condensors

Inside one of the giant fermentation barrels used to make the beer that will be distilled.

Maker's is a fairly small facility that makes just the one whiskey, Maker's Mark (duh) so its a pretty small and (for mass production) boutiquey type shop. The grounds are immaculate, the buildings are all pretty, and the bottling line is a small and efficient operation.

As the tour girl led us back to their warehouse/tasting room and got to talking about the whiskey aging in the barrels, a little hound dog puppy followed us in. I miss my hound dog...

The tasting room was almost painfully ultra modern, especially as you come in from a century old wooden warehouse surrounded by the wonderful smell of bourbon aging. They did have samples of both Maker's and the 'white dog', which oddly enough I kinda liked better. I guess because it still has some kick left to it that aged Maker's doesn't?

On the way back to Bardstown, I passed the entrance to Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, LTD and had to stop in and see who they were since I hadn't heard of them before...

Definitely not a tourist destination... I later learned they are responsible for many of my favorite high end bourbons, including the Rye I bought later today at Toddy's in Bardstown.

Passing the new Heaven Hill

Dropped the bike off at the hotel and started walking around Bardstown, killing time before the next tour at the Tom Moore Distillery. Lots of neat stuff in this town, very charming little place with lots of history. Ok enough of that, more whiskey!

Tom Moore Distillery, formerly Barton Brands.

This was the polar opposite of Maker's. Even though its on the Bourbon Trail, its still primarily a working distillery that happens to give tours. You have to call ahead for a reservation (nominally, I called about an hour before the tour started as thats when I walked up and found out I needed a reservation) and be met at the gate by the guide. They limit the tours to 12 people... but I got lucky. No one else showed. So I got a personal tour of the facility.

The original spring that the water is still taken from

The barreling line

Inside Warehouse Z

No hound dogs, fancy tasting rooms hidden in back, or other gimmicks here. Just thousands of gallons of my favorite go to bourbon aging quietly (1792 Ridgemont Reserve).

The smell is something I wish someone could turn into a candle or something. The mixture of old wood, dust, summer heat, and whiskey was magical.

What they make here:

They also bottle under contract for a host of other companies, today they were actually bottling Paul Mason brandy.

The warehouse, ready for shipping

Two of their retired column stills, still functionally ready but not in use as Americans are drinking less these days.

They have a little park for their employees and guests

that features the world's largest bourbon barrel.

It was originally intended to be part of a tourism drive for the county to celebrate the town's heritage as a distilling capital, but there were aparently enough people against the idea on the grounds of it would "corrupt the children" and "set a bad example" that it was put into storage until the distillery bought it and put it on display.

No drinks on the tour unfortunately, as they do not have the facilities for it. I did get directed to a great liquor store (Toddy's, see above) that had damn near every common and not-so-common bourbon on the market. I then stopped for a late lunch at the Old Talbott Inn. The dining room:

Had a great country fried steak, and then got to work with the bourbon sampler. 5 full shots of the bourbons of your choice you say? A shot of 1792, Bookers, Blantons, Mitchtners Single Barrel, and 4 Roses small batch later, plus two beers that I forget the name of lol, I was feeling right. Paid the check, stumbled back to my hotel, and settlied in by the pool with a pint and spent the rest of the day doing a whole lot of nothing.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #140
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Day 21 - Buffalo Trace and points east

Time to leave, but gotta make two quick stops first. Wild Turkey was first:

After the other two tours, it was kinda disappointing especially since they couldn't really take us anywhere with the distillery being shut down for summer cleaning. I didn't really need to see another warehouse and not get to sample bourbon, so I cut out early and made tracks to Frankfort for my last distillery stop, Buffalo Trace. I did run in to some guys at Turkey who were on their way to the MotoGP in Indy, sounded like fun, maybe next year.

On the way to Frankfort, I passed this little gem.

A fine original example of a Lotus Europa. Its for sale if anyone's interested, I took down the GPS coord's just in case.

Made Frankfort for the last tour of the day at Buffalo Trace, which is the distillery I really really really wanted to see as they make my favorite bourbons and ryes (George T Stagg and Sazerac 17 respectively).

Its the oldest continuously operating distillery in the US (one of 5 allowed to stay open during prohibition), hence the warehouses made of brick instead of sheeting.

The small batch bottling hall

Today they were bottling Blanton's, one barrel at a time.

I did get to sample a full range made from the same mashbill: Buffalo Trace white dog and 8year, Eagle Rare 10 yr (Single Barrel), Rain Vodka, and Buffalo Trace Cream liqueur. They also had root beer from a local place. All very tasty!

Alas, it was time to leave the bourbon trail behind and make for home. Frankly, I was ready to be back, 3 weeks is a long time on the road.

The bridge out of Kentucky, to Ohio.

The route number I took eludes me, but basically it follows the river up to where US 50 crosses into West Virginia, where I'll rejoin 50 E.

Coolville, son.

The bridge to West by God Virginia. Almost home!

Rode about 400 miles today and ended up in Bridgeport, WV. Tomorrow... home.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #141
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,181
Skierd, You do have a talent for finding trails uh... "roads" that don't end well!!! Did ya have to lift your bike over any guard rails to get outta this one?I'm lovin that WR.
Great job on the report. mean it.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #142
Sandflea
One Lump or Two?

Oddometer: 907
Great Report! This is what this site is all about. Wish there was more adventure touring like this and less trail riding. Very good show!! Bravo!
00' SV650n
02' KLR650
98' XR400 Aloop kit plated
86' XT350 Flat Track

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. Amen. -Monk, name unknown
Sandflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #143
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Wow!!!

What a ride report!!!!
VERY cool report and thanks for all the pix, etc. Your bike was just a tad cleaner when I last saw it at my house
OUTSTANDING!

I'm just glad no wheels fell off!
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #144
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Even if they did, I've had the wheels off several times since then.

Jax - I learned my lesson the first time at least, and turned around.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #145
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
skierd, my question for you is, where you going next summer ?????

I've learned a lot from your RR, thanks so much bro!

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #146
Boxall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
This Ride Report Is Epic!

Absolutely fantastic! I've waited on each of the days as you have uploaded them. I've been riding since the 1960's and I've learned a great deal from this report as well. You are the man!
Boxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #147
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Awesome report and pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. I remember hearing that the Jack Daniels Distillery is in a dry county in Tennessee. How amazing is that?

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #148
smsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Just a plain damn GREAT RR. Loved every minute of it. Your photos and descriptions put me right there with you. Awesome, awesome job!!!
smsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #149
Boxall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsteve
Just a plain damn GREAT RR. Loved every minute of it. Your photos and descriptions put me right there with you. Awesome, awesome job!!!
Well said and I fully agree!
Boxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #150
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Next summer? No idea. Maybe further, maybe closer to home. Depends on how things look, but I'm going somewhere, that's for DAMN sure.

But first, I have to get home.

Day 22 - Home

Back to US 50 East, which turns simply amazing once in West Virginia

I stopped taking pics until I stopped for gas at this neat little roadside park because it turned into 40 miles of switchback and mountain hugging curves. Easily one of my favorite roads of the trip.

And shortly thereafter...

What a sight for sore eyes! Home at least... well not quite. I'm way down in the wasp tail of Maryland and still several hours from home. Still, it was nice to see the sign and be back in the state.

Little did I know I was in for one more surprise:

Wasn't planned on at all, but I think it was a nice bonus considering the elevations I'd covered in the last three weeks.

Back into West by God Virginia:

Near Winchester, VA I left US50 for the last time on this trip and headed northeast. Didn't plan on coming past this way, but I had to stop when I realized it.

Hopefully I'll be able to go back again one day, only with a car or a sportbike for a race.

Passing the White House Manor

Charlestown, WV

Shennandoah River

Potomac River

Back into Maryland and on the home stretch. Followed US340 out from Charlestown to Frederick, and hopped on Liberty Road to head home like I like to do in order to avoid I70 and beltway traffic.

Almost there... I can smell it...

Finally, 3 weeks and 6000ish miles later, home sweet home!

Time to be greeted by one excited hound dog (from the walk a little after I got home)

get myself a beer, and start unpacking. When I got home I had 3 full days left before the start of fall classes, meaning I had a nice 3 days during which I did absolutely nothing. Well thats a lie, I had to unpack, clean the bike, get books, and sit by the pool staring at the hotties.

Hmm... guess he wasn't that excited after all, just wanted to get back into my room so he could get to my bed!

Thanks to everyone who helped me finish this trip, all of those whose rides inspired me to do this, and all of you who are reading it now.