Hold my beer...

Oddometer: 30
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.
andr0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #167
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Thanks for posting! Fantastic RR! Great pictures, great adventure...and whiskey too!!!
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #168
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
thanks for the posts!

jimmy
rctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #169
DuckWV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Great report!
Just finished reading and enjoyed all of it.
Have always wanted to see Colorado and the Rockies.
Maybe someday, atleast with reports like this I can dream about it.
DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #170
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
GO. Go now while you still can. Tomorrow may never come after all.

I've had time to think about what I'd change, so here goes...

The load and the bike got along fine I guess. On my next trip I plan to be significantly lighter with a much smaller aero profile. I'm pretty sure I can get a slightly modified setup into Wolfman Enduro saddlebags, and with a larger tank and/or 2 MSR 30oz fuel bottles I can negate the need for the 2gal rotopax (which I've already sold along with the rack, damn textbooks...).

First things first, the giant REI sleeping pad is going away for a thermarest neoair, big agnes IAC, or Exped downmat air pad. It, my clothes, and sleeping bag will migrate to a waterproof roll top duffel that will live where the REI pad did. Also, I'm going to test a tarp/bivy setup. It'll weigh under a pound and pack to half as small as my Hennessy Hammock. I could have saved a bunch of money by simply sleeping in a field in a bug bivy on an air mat and sleeping bag instead of being pissed at not being able to find (or not being allow to hang from) trees or worrying about setting up in the dark. I liked sleeping in the air though, so who knows.

On the bike, the only major change will be going to a Nuetech Tubliss setup. No more tubes means I get a ton of space back in my rear duffel and lose a couple pounds from not having to carry 3-4 tubes (2 in the wheels, one or two as spares). I'm also strongly considering going to sidewinder chain and sprockets for better reliability (RK chain I put on before I left is already shot) and lighter weight. New handgrips are also on the horizon, after a few weeks the ProTaper Pillow grips are annoyingly small in my hands, causing me to grip to hard and add to fatigue. They've also worn pretty quickly, have a few flat spots already.

Riding gear... the only thing I'd want to change are my boots (waterproof please... thinking Gaerne Balance oiled trials boots) and gloves (Firstgear Carbon heated gloves). Already improved my rain gear situation by tossing the no-name plastic rain pants and selling the excellent Klim Stowaway for a BMW ProRain2 1 piece, so with waterproof boots and gloves rain's no longer a concern. I will be finding new riding underwear as well, while the Under Armor
shorts worked well for the first week, the seams started to chafe badly
after a while. I'm going to give LD Comfort a shot for my next trip I
think.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #171
werewasi

Oddometer: n/a
One of the best ride reports I've read, which really makes you want to travel to the U S and do something like the TAT. Liked the way you spliced in bits of info about your gear and the bike performance.
and the best bit;
- every photo didn't have the bike smack bang in the middle of it. A couple of shots is enough. KTM afficianados are usually the worst offenders.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #172
adub3n
Lurker

Oddometer: 54
Fantastic RR skierd! I really like how you've got the pictures telling the story ... sort of ... with just the right amount of commentary and gear details. I bet you had SO many photos, choosing the right ones was a hell of a job, and I can only imagine what parts of the story you might have left out for whatever reason. I can really appreciate your minimalist approach. Thanks for sharing.

How long had you been riding before you decided to set out on this journey? How long was the planning phase?
adub3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #173
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,572

Thanks for sharing your ride!!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #174
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Honestly, I put up just about every picture I took. I'm not running around like a Japanese tourist taking a roll of film (filling a memory card?) on every little thing I see, the pics I took were of the things, places, or settings that spoke to me at the time. :)

About the only thing I left out is taking a crap in the field one day and some of the personal things I was mulling over that this trip was supposed to help me think out or at least come to terms with.

I got my license in October '08 and started riding in November. When I left for this trip I had only ridden about 8000 miles total. I had this trip in mind when I started riding (thanks ADV!) and was pretty sure of doing it when I bought the WR250R in late March. I've been planning a cross country trip of some sort for the last few years, but I started planning specifically for a moto/TAT trip in February or March.

The easy part was figuring out where to go, the vast majority of that was planning what to take, how to take it, the gear to wear, how to prepare the bike, and figuring out if I was physically/mentally up to riding that far for that amount of time. I made several short shake down rides to test gear setups between May and July, including a 5 day trip (see my Put-In-Bay, Ohio to Maryland Ride) to make sure I could stand to be on a bike that long.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #175
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 911
Regards running the Nuetech Tubliss setup, will it stand up to road use as well as off road?

I spoke to Nuetech about running them on my BRP and they said they weren't DOT'd. I'm not concerned with legalities, more with performance.

What have you heard?
Hosebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #176
SloSolo2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
Honestly, I put up just about every picture I took. I'm not running around like a Japanese tourist taking a roll of film (filling a memory card?) on every little thing I see, the pics I took were of the things, places, or settings that spoke to me at the time. :)

About the only thing I left out is taking a crap in the field one day and some of the personal things I was mulling over that this trip was supposed to help me think out or at least come to terms with.

I got my license in October '08 and started riding in November. When I left for this trip I had only ridden about 8000 miles total. I had this trip in mind when I started riding (thanks ADV!) and was pretty sure of doing it when I bought the WR250R in late March. I've been planning a cross country trip of some sort for the last few years, but I started planning specifically for a moto/TAT trip in February or March.

The easy part was figuring out where to go, the vast majority of that was planning what to take, how to take it, the gear to wear, how to prepare the bike, and figuring out if I was physically/mentally up to riding that far for that amount of time. I made several short shake down rides to test gear setups between May and July, including a 5 day trip (see my Put-In-Bay, Ohio to Maryland Ride) to make sure I could stand to be on a bike that long.
If I missed it earlier I apologize, did you buy the Sam Correro charts or make your own route?
Thanks
Jamie
SloSolo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #177
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Sam's maps for the TAT.

I haven't heard much about the Nuetech's period, other than they are fantastic off road and that the inner tube tends to lose pressure over the course of a day so on a multi-day ride you have to check it daily or more. Which you should be doing anyways.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #178
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Great report!! Thanks for sharing. Love the photo's.
You can set the Hennessey up as a bivi tent if you can't find anything to hang it from. I think that it is shown on the web site. I have used it that way a few times and it works out pretty well and doesn't feel as confined as a bivi.
Thanks again
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #179
bhmax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Wow, great write up! Very impressed with the pics and detail, but especially with the determination to set out on a trip like this yourself. Neat seeing a few places I've been along a much longer route. I'm a few miles from the dragon and just picked up a wr250x. I've been wanting to explore some dirt roads, this sure gives some more motivation to do so!
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #180
LATJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Very nice, thanks. I have been talking to the wife about this exact bike and she thinks it's "too small" for me to do anything with. I am going to have her take a look at your report.

Save 5 bucks when signing up for SmugMug. Enter coupon code: hgeNbdcSOWAXM
LATJ is offline   Reply With Quote