Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #31
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod
Adding a oil cooler will not keep you from achieving 300+ deg. It will increase the time it takes for you to achieve it. Adding a oil cooler will also increase how fast the oil cools down. The best way to think of a oil cooler is as a heat sink.
I am much more concerned with the fact that my hottest recorded temperatures are after I have turned off my bike than the ones I have recorded when moving. If the oil isn't in motion it can't carry away the heat so it is going to degrade. I.e. when your oil is in the pan it isn't in motion. How much hotter can you take the pan of oil if you stir it?

I am probably wrong, I thought I read inside of a (holy crap i can't believe that i am quoting useless info that is probably off the top of my head) Oil comparison between the different types of oil. I.e. Diesel vs motorcycle vs auto. That most oils don't degrade until 350 deg F.
The difference between most oils are the additives (detergents) and how well the oil resists the shearing of the molecules.
Motorcycle oil and Diesel oils are designed to resist shearing of the oil molecules better than auto.
Out side of that its how much detergents that are in the oil. Pretty much the rest is the same. Again I am making the statement that I am not a expert (ex-pert = liquid under pressure in the past tense) in fact I am a smacktard. I have done enough research to make me feel good about the type of oil that i am using and why.
McLeod,

What oil are you using? and could you also post a couple of pics of your XR400 oil cooler your have on your bike? I am thinking of adding one on my bike.

Thanks,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #32
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Faus
I see two problems with mounting your oil cooler on the side of the frame, truck6driver. One is a crash on the left side. The other is the amount of air flow getting through the oil cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
Here is my JAGG oil coller set up. Has been on the bike now for 10 years with no issues.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #33
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Faus
Here is a picture of my BRP. I call him Brutus. Clever, huh. It has all the standard mods...bigger gas tank, smog junk removed, small taillight, header, a small windshield, and skid plate. You can't see Dave's mods on the carb, or the UNI air filter. The bike runs and handles great. Just one thing, it runs to hot here in Utah. On a 95° day, this engine runs between 250° and 270°. Way too hot. Engine destroying hot. So I bought a small oil cooler, made some brackets, and did a little welding. This is the result. Attachment 214381On a hot day it now runs between 190° and 200°. The oil cooler is from Setrab, a Swedish outfit, cost about $60. The headlight shield is from TCI, cost about $35. The hoses and fittings are from Earl’s, and cost about $75 for a total cost of about $170. Not cheap, but cheaper than blowing an engine. I bought some ½ inch plastic spacers, and longer bolts, to drop the fender slightly, and ran the hoses through there. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to post more than 1 picture in my thread. If anyone is interested in seeing more pics, let me know how to do it.
I think you did a fine job on that oiler cooler.....

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #34
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 842
Jagg Oil Cooler Install

I got a finally start on my XR650L oil cooler project.
I will try to take photos of the progress.
Here is how it looks so far:

• KTM 990 Adventure • Honda CRF450 Supermoto • H-D Sportster Streettracker • Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #35
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

another photo

• KTM 990 Adventure • Honda CRF450 Supermoto • H-D Sportster Streettracker • Honda XR650L
Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #36
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark
Holy chit Mark.........that`s some nice work........are you single???? i`ll kick my wife out,,you move in

Are you planing on selling those brackets,might sell a few...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #37
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
McLeod,

What oil are you using? and could you also post a couple of pics of your XR400 oil cooler your have on your bike? I am thinking of adding one on my bike.

Thanks,

Cumbacheech

Here you go.

I use Rotella T Synthetic 5w 40W. I broke my engine in using the 15W-40W.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #38
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,654
Cool2 cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Holy chit Mark.........that`s some nice work........are you single???? i`ll kick my wife out,,you move in

Are you planing on selling those brackets,might sell a few...

B

No kidding! That baby is built like a brick shit house. Nice job!
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #39
Little Faus OP
Little Faus

Oddometer: 48
I like that protective bracket that GSMark made to protect that oil cooler. That resolves my issue with that location with the exception of air flow. I note that somebody has stated that the temp will keep rising with an oil cooler until it 300 d. My experience with my oil cooler is 245 d. max in 95 d. on single track in 1st and 2nd gear. This is in the year and a half of operation. If you live in a hot climate with a XRL, get an oil cooler.
Little Faus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #40
guinnessextreme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Where does one obtain hard lines like this? and more importantly, the fittings? Nice job btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod

Here you go.

I use Rotella T Synthetic 5w 40W. I broke my engine in using the 15W-40W.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #41
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

More Jagg Oil Cooler Install xr650l

More progress last night.
I made an oil line guide from 1" X 3/8" aluminum. Made with a drill press and band saw. It is designed to keep the oil lines off of the exhaust. It bolts to the "wing/scoop" mount on the left side of the bike (with a 1/4" spacer). It splits in half for service.

Still getting the hose routing figured out. Getting close.
Man I love making stuff!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #42
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
I made an oil line guide from 1" X 3/8" aluminum. Made with a drill press and band saw. It is designed to keep the oil lines off of the exhaust. It bolts to the "wing/scoop" mount on the left side of the bike (with a 1/4" spacer). It splits in half for service.

Man I love making stuff!

On the little bar on front of the cooler you can weld a metal screen to protect the cooler. If your going to make the cooler bracket I'd buy too. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #43
Little Faus OP
Little Faus

Oddometer: 48
How close is your header pipe to those oil lines, GSMark? Your'e fabricating looks good.
Little Faus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #44
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:

Man I love making stuff!

Beautiful setup GSMark!

Have you considered flipping the cooler upside-down like truck6driver's on page 2? I'd think that if the inlet/outlet was on the bottom instead of the top, you wouldn't have to worry about the hoses coming near/in contact with the header.

Again, excellent fab work GSMark!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #45
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessextreme
Where does one obtain hard lines like this? and more importantly, the fittings? Nice job btw
I made them and they failed I could never get them to seal properly. I resorted back to rubber hose. For the ends I ended up buying a second set of XRL hoses and using the ends because the XR400 cooler uses two of the smaller connectors.