Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #46
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Very sweet setup. Wonder if you put one on each side how cool she would run? Hmmm! You could slip the clutch in the woods for a year with a high comp piston and a huge cam never get warm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark
More progress last night.
I made an oil line guide from 1" X 3/8" aluminum. Made with a drill press and band saw. It is designed to keep the oil lines off of the exhaust. It bolts to the "wing/scoop" mount on the left side of the bike (with a 1/4" spacer). It splits in half for service.

Still getting the hose routing figured out. Getting close.
Man I love making stuff!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #47
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Holy chit Mark.........that`s some nice work........are you single???? i`ll kick my wife out,,you move in

Are you planing on selling those brackets,might sell a few...

B
Im in for some. What oil cooler did you go with? Where did you get it and how much?

That is amazing wish i could fab like that.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #48
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
On the little bar on front of the cooler you can weld a metal screen to protect the cooler. If your going to make the cooler bracket I'd buy too. Ben
Hi Ben,
You are reading my mind! I made the bracket for mechanical support and to mount a cooler guard.
I am planning on a screen type aluminum guard to bolt on this bracket.
I might have it cut out at a water-jet machine shop.
I have a few designs drawn up. I will get photos up when I get to that part built.

As far as selling these parts...
I am sure that I can make complete kits. First I have to make sure everything fits/works.
It will clear the MSR skid plate. The skid plate even protects the bottom "tank" on the cooler.

Keep looking here for my progress. I work slow (anal).
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #49
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Hi Ben,
You are reading my mind! I made the bracket for mechanical support and to mount a cooler guard.
I am planning on a screen type aluminum guard to bolt on this bracket.
I might have it cut out at a water-jet machine shop.
I have a few designs drawn up. I will get photos up when I get to that part built.

As far as selling these parts...
I am sure that I can make complete kits. First I have to make sure everything fits/works.
It will clear the MSR skid plate. The skid plate even protects the bottom "tank" on the cooler.

Keep looking here for my progress. I work slow (anal).
GSMark to keep your cost down on the cooler guard. Get some rain gutter screen gaurd. I have seen other guys use it for the same type of cooler. Take your time and do it right. I will be checking out your progress. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #50
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Faus
How close is your header pipe to those oil lines, GSMark? Your'e fabricating looks good.
Good question and thank you..
My pipes are out to get JetHot coated.
Checking by "eyeball" from the front of the bike, there should not be any problem.
If by chance they come too close to the pipe, I can adjust the spacers on the mounting plate of the cooler or move the hose guide away from the header a little. I am not forcasting any problem with clearance problems.

When they come back home I will know for sure.
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L

GSMark screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 06:05 PM
Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #51
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
Beautiful setup GSMark!

Have you considered flipping the cooler upside-down like truck6driver's on page 2? I'd think that if the inlet/outlet was on the bottom instead of the top, you wouldn't have to worry about the hoses coming near/in contact with the header.

Again, excellent fab work GSMark!
Yes I have considered the bottom entry method. EEEWWWW!

After looking things over, searching the web, looking at photos, etc... (for weeks).
I decided to go with the lines from the top. I don't see contact with the header as a problem.
The most important reason for doing it this way, was ease of repair on the trail.
I will carry a small piece of the cut-off steel oil line in my tool bag and easily bypass the cooler in case it gets damaged.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #52
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod
Very sweet setup. Wonder if you put one on each side how cool she would run? Hmmm! You could slip the clutch in the woods for a year with a high comp piston and a huge cam never get warm!
Funny!
Might have to defrost the engine after each ride!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #53
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
Im in for some. What oil cooler did you go with? Where did you get it and how much?

That is amazing wish i could fab like that.
Thanks!

Looks like the part numbers have changes since I purchased mine.

http://www.setrabusa.com/jagg/pages/universal.htm

http://www.setrabusa.com/jagg/images...wings/3110.pdf

Looks like part number 3110

GSMark screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 07:24 PM
Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #54
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Faus
I like that protective bracket that GSMark made to protect that oil cooler. That resolves my issue with that location with the exception of air flow.
Thanks for your insight.
Not to be a smart ass... Really.
The air flow in front of my cooler has nothing in front of it. The front tire/wheel is the only thing in ahead of the cooler... (as is your set-up) but there is nothing in front of the cooler.
Why would the ambient temperature be any different lower on the bike than the ambient temperature up by the head light? Maybe you are thinking that the cooler being close to the engine and exhaust might hamper the cooling? (not air flow)
Couldn't say for sure. I can't believe the heat from the header would be a problem as it is not near the cooler. I could be wrong????? Maybe if you are going very slow for hours on end.... still getting the hot oil away from the system would still help cool the oil. No?

Air flow issue, I don't see one.

GSMark screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 10:01 PM
Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #55
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,205
Quote:
Yes I have considered the bottom entry method. EEEWWWW!

After looking things over, searching the web, looking at photos, etc... (for weeks).
I decided to go with the lines from the top. I don't see contact with the header as a problem.
The most important reason for doing it this way, was ease of repair on the trail.
I will carry a small piece of the cut-off steel oil line in my tool bag and easily bypass the cooler in case it gets damaged.

Mark...i would avoid having the oil lines going in from the bottom IMHO...........the way you have it now is probably the best/proper way...no chance of a partial airlock i would think

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 09:22 PM
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #56
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Mark...i would avoid having the oil lines going in from the bottom IMHO...........the way you have it now is probably the best/proper way...no chance of a partial airlock i would think

B
Why is that Brian?

I'd think that having them on the bottom would be better because gravity would be your friend, especially when it comes to airlocks.

trucker6driver has had his installed that way and it's operated flawlessly for 10 years ... just sayin'
Old 07-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #57
Little Faus OP
Little Faus

Oddometer: 48
I don't think you're a smartass, GSMark. I think your fabricating and design looks great. I'm not worried about engine heat, and I'll take your word regarding airflow to your design's oil cooler. I'm in the process of moving my oil cooler about 2 inches back by trimming the plastic headlight nacelle, and doing some rewelding. This will place the oil cooler closer to the pivot point of the front forks with less stress on the oil hoses. I have had no problems with the hoses, but had to put about an inch of slack in them for turning the front wheel. Also, I can make a mesh screen for the headlight and oil cooler that is flush. This will look much better. BTW, what is your occupation?
Little Faus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #58
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Hi little Faus,
I think that your changes will make a great design even better.

For a living, I am an illustrator.
Yeah, people pay me money to draw pictures... no kidding.

Something that I didn't think of when I mounted my cooler is, there will be a cooler full of oil that won't get emptied when I change my oil. I change my oil way to often and this shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #59
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Hi little Faus,
I think that your changes will make a great design even better.

For a living, I am an illustrator.
Yeah, people pay me money to draw pictures... no kidding.

Something that I didn't think of when I mounted my cooler is, there will be a cooler full of oil that won't get emptied when I change my oil. I change my oil way to often and this shouldn't be a big deal.
I'm sure you could take some compressed air and blow the oil in the cooler out if someone was worried about dirty oil and sediment building up in the cooler.
Not a big deal and easy to do by pulling one of the lines of.

Nice work BTW.....