EmilianoXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #62
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
Why is that Brian?

I'd think that having them on the bottom would be better because gravity would be your friend, especially when it comes to airlocks.

trucker6driver has had his installed that way and it's operated flawlessly for 10 years ... just sayin'

Not saying it won`t work at all,,,but it may not work as well as it could.....the oil flow isn`t very fast on these machines.....so oil being pumped up may just go up,then along the first few downtubes then out....airlocking part of the cooler.......if the oil goes down into it it will fill the cooler completely and even the slower moving oil in the cooler will still cool the oil by convection of heat moving from the hot faster oil to the cooler slower oil.........you see different mounting instructions in trans coolers on cars because of this...due to flow and cooler size..

That being said it depends on how fast the oil is pumped up the cooler,if it goes up fast enough then it will flow down all the downtubes...

The only way to see if you chose the right cooler capacity is to check with an infrared laser temp reader across the core at different operating rpm to see if there is cold spots..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #63
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilianoXR650L
Thanks at all, i'm checking and learning
I hope this helps others that are thinking of adding a cooler.
Here is where I connected the oil line. I removed a small section of the original steel line. (about 2 inches) Edit: 2.5 inches.

I ended up putting a slight bend at the top of the original steel line. (the line from the engine)
I also made a spacer out of a sheet of 1/8 in. Delrin that went between the steel line and the frame.
I had to put an aluminum spacer in the clamp to keep it from over stressing and to keep it tight.

KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L

GSMark screwed with this post 07-29-2010 at 09:08 PM
GSMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #64
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Jagg made an oil cooler kit at one time for the Honda XR650L. It has been discontinued. Here are the instructions:

KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #65
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Back to my project. The cooler mount spacers that I had in my original mock-up were stacked smaller spacers. I wanted them to be one piece.
I had some 1/2" round aluminum stock that I cut a bit longer than I needed. I drilled a 6mm hole in the center then machined them to the proper length.

Oh! I got my pipe back from JetHot! Ready to get this thing back together.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #66
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
When will my mounting kit show up?

Mark. I just had my header ceramic coating too. Before I sent it in I removed some of the header welding build up. So I am not sure what made the difference to my bike? But it sure seems like I have more power now. When are you going to make/sell me a oil cooler mounting kit? So far it looks amazing. First in line, Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:41 AM   #67
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark
Jagg made an oil cooler kit at one time for the Honda XR650L. It has been discontinued. Here are the instructions:

Well there ...cooler lines going in the bottom....... but i still like your idea better Mark...i still think it will burp out the air better with the lines going in from the top..........probably won`t make enough difference to mean shit...and i could be wrong....but i`m stuborn and i want it my way

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 08:43 AM
Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #68
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
Mark. I just had my header ceramic coating too. Before I sent it in I removed some of the header welding build up. So I am not sure what made the difference to my bike? But it sure seems like I have more power now. When are you going to make/sell me a oil cooler mounting kit? So far it looks amazing. First in line, Ben

Pffffffffttttttttt..........you are SECOND in line Ben....i asked first...don`t make me come down there

beers getting low,,pulled an all nighter...and i think i`m about done

B
Old 08-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #69
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Here is where I'm at now. I want to make a change in the rubber isolation mounts.
I do not trust the type that I have on the cooler. One broke in the process of installing.
It will require making a new mounting plate. I found room there to make the design look better.

I will post photos of the revised design soon.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #70
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Old 08-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #71
Little Faus OP
Little Faus

Oddometer: 48
GSMark, you are clearing winning the oil cooler wars with your machining skills and ideas. I am jealous. Keep up the good work, and let us know what you are doing.
Little Faus

2008 HONDA XR650L
2004 SUZUKI VSTROM 650
1979 BMW R65
Little Faus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #72
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

This is a mock-up of my revised design to accommodate the new rubber bushings.
I should have it done real soon.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #73
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
I really didn't intend on making this for production. But I will make up a few kits. I may have to move this to the vendors forum. As of now, I don't have a kit ready to sell.
I am having a few of the mounts being machined at a water-jet shop.
The bolts, spacers, hose clamps, hose and bushings shouldn't be a problem.
I have a guard drawn up and need to get that cut out too.
I need to find someone with a press brake for the aluminum strap in front of the cooler. Mine was bent in my vice, not a real nice way to bend aluminum.
The upper aluminum hose guide will be time intensive to build but worth it. It really finishes off the project.
If I ever finish the kits, they will be first class.
Keep checking back.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 08-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #74
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark
I really didn't intend on making this for production. But I will make up a few kits. I may have to move this to the vendors forum. As of now, I don't have a kit ready to sell.
I am having a few of the mounts being machined at a water-jet shop.
The bolts, spacers, hose clamps, hose and bushings shouldn't be a problem.
I have a guard drawn up and need to get that cut out too.
I need to find someone with a press brake for the aluminum strap in front of the cooler. Mine was bent in my vice, not a real nice way to bend aluminum.
The upper aluminum hose guide will be time intensive to build but worth it. It really finishes off the project.
If I ever finish the kits, they will be first class.
Keep checking back.

Cheers,
Mark
Oh we`ll be checking

B
Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #75
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Look what showed up today!