Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #76
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark
Look what showed up today!

Cool Mark.........you`re the man........gotta say this is looking some freekin cool so far...

Want my address

HET MARK..............YOU GONNA ANO THESE.........GOLD WOULD LOOK SWEET

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #77
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Pffffffffttttttttt..........you are SECOND in line Ben....i asked first...don`t make me come down there

beers getting low,,pulled an all nighter...and i think i`m about done

B
I think You mistaken sir. I asked for one back in 7/24/10. We better be quite or we are going to start a bidding war. GSmark. Safety wiring it too, your killing me with the skills. Ill be watching. Thanks, First in line Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #78
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 809
I want in! How much do yout think this is going to go for? will it include the oil cooler as well? everything?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #79
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,249
Fabulous machine work man. I love it. You have a talant I wish I had.

I have an issue with your mounting. It is a work of art and function but you have the oil lines coming in from the top. This will prevent that oil from being changed during regular oil changes unless you disconnect the cooler and drain it. I installed the Jagg oil cooler kit when they sold them.
By hooking up the cooler lines to the shorter line, this does a couple things:

1-takes the hottest oil and runs it through the cooler before dumping it in the frame/tank for further heat disipation.

2-allows the cooler to be removed and simply put back to stock by just installing a short piece of rubber hose.

3-In this ki,t it allows the oil in the cooler to drain back into the engine after it sits for a while allowing all the oil to be changed during oil changes.
You can also make your cooler do this by turning the cooler over and hooking up to the other oil line.

This is the Jagg kit installed. It has been on for a decade and sustained no damage from crashes or debris. And it has been ridden hard and been down many times. Your design looks stronger and much nicer than the Jagg kit I just wanted to share my concerns with the oil changing issue.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #80
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
Fabulous machine work man. I love it. You have a talant I wish I had.

I have an issue with your mounting. It is a work of art and function but you have the oil lines coming in from the top. This will prevent that oil from being changed during regular oil changes unless you disconnect the cooler and drain it. I installed the Jagg oil cooler kit when they sold them.
By hooking up the cooler lines to the shorter line, this does a couple things:

1-takes the hottest oil and runs it through the cooler before dumping it in the frame/tank for further heat disipation.

2-allows the cooler to be removed and simply put back to stock by just installing a short piece of rubber hose.

3-In this ki,t it allows the oil in the cooler to drain back into the engine after it sits for a while allowing all the oil to be changed during oil changes.
You can also make your cooler do this by turning the cooler over and hooking up to the other oil line.

This is the Jagg kit installed. It has been on for a decade and sustained no damage from crashes or debris. And it has been ridden hard and been down many times. Your design looks stronger and much nicer than the Jagg kit I just wanted to share my concerns with the oil changing issue.

Ray
Thanks for the advice and complement Ray. Seeing photos of your bike inspired me to take on this project. Too bad Jagg stopped making the kit.

I will try to address your issues in order.

This will prevent that oil from being changed during regular oil changes...
I agree and wrote about that a few pages back. It brought on a little discussion on the top or bottom oil entry/exit.
You could go back and read it... if not no biggie. I decided that a cup of oil left in the line/cooler would not be a huge problem for me.
I change my oil too often anyway.
We all have the same problem with oil in the backbone of the frame when we drain the oil.
Nobody seems to worry about that, not even Honda. I bet it is more than a cup. See illustration.

According to the Jagg oil cooler instructions, we both cut the same line. Mine a little higher up. The one that returns oil to the oil tank. I am not sure what lines you tapped into, It should be the rubber part of the big line that runs up to the tank behind the frame front down-tube between the exhaust headers.

By hooking up the cooler lines to the shorter line , this does a couple things...
Looks like you may be tapped into the wrong line... you might want to check into this. See illustration 2.

Same here.

This is the Jagg kit installed. It has been on for a decade and sustained no damage from crashes or debris...
That is why I went with the Jagg!(That is me on the right)

One last thing. The one thing that put me off from the bottom entry/exit was the sharp bends of the hoses around the bottom of the frame/motor.
The automotive transmission cooler hoses that I used seemed to make too sharp of a bend. I made large arches in mine to optimize the flow.

I am not saying that your setup is wrong. It is better at getting ALL of the oil out of the cooler when doing an oil change.

Thanks for your input, photos and advice. Keep riding that COOL XR.

KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L

GSMark screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 05:44 PM
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #81
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,249
Hey Mark,

I went back and looked, Yea you are right we are using the same line to the cooler. I did not cut the steel line just remover the stock flex and attached there.

The bends are kinda sharp on the JAGG set up. I never found it to be a problem, However I have not used regular transmission line after the first hoses developed cracks a year or 2 after installing it. I now run "Push-Loc" hose that I buy from a hydraulic hose supply store. It is a thicker walled rubber hose that is designed for a higher temp than the automotive stuff they sell at the parts houses. I have not had to replace these hoses in 7 or 8 years. (Good stit) That is why my hose is grey and not black.

You have done some great machine work and put alot of thought into you set up. You really need to market this kit once you get it set up the way you like it. I hope you can make some money at it too.

As for the oil changes... Well I kinda was anal about it. I drain my oil over night for starters and I do get the oil out of the frame by lifting the rear up with my engine hoist and let it drain all night. I also clean the frame tube screen annualy. Oil is the life of the air cool engine and I have always treated it as such.

guess it was just me.

Hope I did not offend you.

Keep up the great work.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #82
Little Faus OP
Little Faus

Oddometer: 48
That's a good point about the back of the frame not draining during an oil change. I hadn't thought about that. I do agree that the amount of oil in your cooler is a drop in the bucket. I use Mobil-1 full synthetic on my XRL and change it every 2k miles, or so. It usually looks pretty good after I drain it. Just my opinion.
Little Faus

2008 HONDA XR650L
2004 SUZUKI VSTROM 650
1979 BMW R65
Little Faus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #83
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
I want in! How much do yout think this is going to go for? will it include the oil cooler as well? everything?
I am getting a little closer to having this ready.
I have no idea on the price yet.
Keep watching and I will eventually get there.
If I can find a deal on multiple coolers, I will be able to supply the coolers in the kit.
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #84
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
Hope I did not offend you.

Keep up the great work.

Ray
Not offended at all, heck, you were trying to help me... just don't talk about my mom.
I am learning like everyone else. On this project I am sharing what I find.

I really like your use of the hydraulic hose.
See, I just learned a bit more. Thanks.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #85
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Here is the latest:
Rubber isolation bushings installed (the new mount at the bottom of the photo)

Got some oil cooler guards cut out.
I want to make a little change on these before I have more made.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #86
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
I'd almost caal it overkill, but I wont =)

I love you're sence to detail.

I was thinking of adding an oilcoller myself (to a different bike) but somehow, the whole "cutting oillines and stuff" seems like a big opstacle to me. That, and finding just the right one, than mounts the right way...... For the right price. I'm a simple guy, I dont ask of much
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #87
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
I'd almost caal it overkill, but I wont =)

I love you're sence to detail.

I was thinking of adding an oilcoller myself (to a different bike) but somehow, the whole "cutting oillines and stuff" seems like a big opstacle to me. That, and finding just the right one, than mounts the right way...... For the right price. I'm a simple guy, I dont ask of much

Hey! I'ts not overkill... it's called anal.
Good thing that I have a day job... I would go broke making parts. I am soooooo slow.

Your owners manual should have a drawing of the oil system along with arrows showing the direction of flow. Find where it leaves the motor, it is hottest there, and that line is the one you want to cut. Do a search for your bike/oil cooler, there might be someone that did it all ready. ???
Old 08-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #88
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
Looking good. I was going to buy some bolt on parts for my jet ski. But I am waiting for this to finish before I spend money on the other toys. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #89
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

I borrowed a metal brake for the aluminum strap.

Thanks to Johnny at Harshco Water-jet Machine Shop. http://harshco.com/

Makes nice, clean, bends! Hope I don't use all of my material up learning how to get the right bends.
I found a source for the metric rubber w/steel sleeve isolation mounts and have some ordered.
Getting closer.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #90
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Here is the latest.
I am getting so close to having this ready.
I am very happy with the redesigned bracket and isolation mounts.

I HATE the cooler guard that I made. Looks like a f#@&ing spatula.
Great on the bab-b-que, but not on a motorcycle!
It's back to the drawing board for a proper guard.

Will keep you posted...