User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
Scaramanga OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Michelin Desert question

Anyone got these fitted or had them on? What sort of mileage can you expect from them? I am heading down to Tan Tan (southern Morocco) in Sept where I plan to make a ~1,000km trip to Merzouga. Terrain will be desert so mixture of rough pistes, sand etc. No doubt the Michelin will be perfect on this terrain but I have a 1,000 mile tarmac trip to do first!

At the moment I have a pair of MT21's on and I don't think a new pair would last the whole trip having seen the wear rate on these. So its either some street tyres for the ride down and strap another off road pair on the seat, or ride down on one pair - I am hoping the Deserts could last the road miles as I don't really want to carry a set of tyres.

Thanks for any comments.
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I cannot help you with the mileage, but I have heard nothing but good about these tires, aside from the cost. Hope to try some soon.

How about installing the Desert front before you depart, leaving the MT-21 rear to wear down over the pavement section, carrying just the Dessert rear for a later swap to fresh rear knobs?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
Badmunkie
...and needing spanked!

Oddometer: 181
Scaramanga,
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Am going to Morocco and Spain leaving 24 Sept. I'll be taking the autotrain from Dusseldorf to Narbonne but will ride from there on. Then ~2000 Km through Morocco. Then ~2500 Kms through Spain back to Narbonne. I have been using the Pirelli Scorpion 90s on the street and they're pretty good, but just won't cut it in the sand.

I will either use the Deserts for the entire trip, or leave on MT21s but ship a pair of Scorpions to a US Navy base at Rota and then stop and change before the long road sections of Spain.

I here that the Deserts will wear good off road and perform pretty good on dry roads but they are damn expensive and will no doubt be toast after the trip os over.

Still not decided.

'munkie
Badmunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
. Hope to try some soon.
Do you have a link to a source for Deserts in the U.S.? How much?
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Kennedy
I have yet to source them. I would expect the rear to run over $100, so about $200 for a set. (Just guessing) I have run the Michelin Enduro Comp III/ Endurostar combination, and liked them, before I had wore them out, I swapped to TKCs for a C.C. trip, so I still wonder about the mileage. Kinda curious about the differences between a Baja and a Desert, some obviuous visual differences. Looking forward to trying them. I was curious as well, so I did a quick search, never used either one of these suppliers. (Only ones to come up in my search.)

http://www.tiresnstuff.com/mich-desert.html
http://www.motorcyclemart.com/tires/michelin/desert.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------

Michelin just gives out so much info on these tires..... NOT!

http://motous.webmichelin.com/home.htm

Desert: Dakar champion
• Winner of Paris-Dakar and nearly every major rally in the world.
• Unbeatable performance in the most punishing conditions, on all types of terrain.
• Highly resistant to most impacts and cuts, even at temperatures above 120 degrees F.
• DOT-approved for highway use.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Baja: Street-legal, desert-proven
• A motocross tread pattern in a highway-approved tire.
• The wide profile and stability on hard ground make the Baja™ particularly suitable for motorcycles up to 600cc, like those used in African rallies or Baja.

EnduroStar: Hard-terrain rear enduro tire
• Tread pattern derived from the world champion StarCross MH2 but with the 13mm tread depth mandated by the FIM for enduro competition.
• M-Block treadwear indicator clearly shows when itÕs time to reverse the tire on the rim. Mirror-image knobs provide equal traction when the tire is reversed.
• Closer knob spacing than the Enduro Comp III, for enhanced performance on hard ground.
• Same durable rubber compound as Enduro Comp III.

EnduroComp III: ISDE and World Enduro Champion
• Developed through years of success at the ISDE and other international events.
• Open tread design with offset tread blocks for sure-footed grip.
• Exceptionally resistant to chunking.
• Conforms to FIM regulations (13mm tread depth).
• Excels on a variety of terrain.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,465
Scaramanga,

I see you are in London, you have probably not heard of a tire called 'Teraflex'. It is made by Interco (Super Swamper.) You will not want to try an unfamiliar tire for your trip but I highly recomend that you try one when you get back. They cost less than a Desert and I believe they are an equal, if not, superior tire.
I have almost 2000 km on a used (50%) one I got for 25 bucks. It still has about 6 mm left in the center lugs, and still works well.
It is on an LC4.
http://www.intercotire.com/html/tera-flex.htm
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Kinda curious about the differences between a Baja and a Desert, some obviuous visual differences. Looking forward to trying them. I was curious as well, so I did a quick search, never used either one of these suppliers.
Everything I have always read about Deserts is that they are really stiff, tought tires. Also that they are a handful on pavement. I think the rubber compound they must use is really hard (to make it durable). I would like to try them, but would have to avoid the rain/oiled freeway combo we occasionally get here.

Both of those vedors are in Cali. If I get some I would try to pick them up in San Diego maybe. When my 606's wear out, maybe I will try them.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #8
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Also that they are a handful on pavement. I think the rubber compound they must use is really hard (to make it durable). I would like to try them, but would have to avoid the rain/oiled freeway combo we occasionally get here.
They are actually not that bad on the bitumen for such an aggressive tyre. The compund seems to stick pretty well and the knobs don't flex as much as some other knobbies that I have run on the road.

As for mileage, the front will definately do it. I have done a 5,000k trip through some pretty inhospitable terrain on an XR and still had some in reserve when I got back. I am not sure about the rear because I always ran Baja's due to clearance problems with the XR's swingarm. The Baja's lasted well though and I reckon that babying a Desert on the way down would certainly be an option.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:23 AM   #9
Scaramanga OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Wow! Thanks for the all the posts

I think I will go with Mack's suggestion and put a front on, and strap the rear to the seat and wear out my MT21 on the way down.

For anyone who is interested the prices in the UK are:

Front - £66
Rear - £94
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:20 AM   #10
Shelton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I was have second pair of used Michelin Deserts. I buy little worn tires from polish Dakar pilots mechnics. I pay about 50$ for one tire. 8000km is totall. After this all knobies die. For me this tire is the best solution.

www.hard-enduro.net
e-mail: prezes@hard-enduro.net
Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:35 AM   #11
Mack

Shelton, good to see you posting, it seems it has been a while. Hope to see more posts and pictures from you if you have the time. Cheers, Mack
Old 08-06-2004, 10:18 PM   #12
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,974
I use Deserts on my Africa twin when I head outback, just put a new set on fora desert ride (leaving tommorrow), I usually get 5-6000km out of a rear but I dont go over 100km/h on the tar.
Greg
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:50 PM   #13
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Here is a response I received from SWMototires when I asked about the Maxxis 140/80-18 6006. I also asked about Mich Deserts. These guys have a stellar service reputation, and I am glad we have a stateside source for the Deserts. They are in New Mexico. Price quoted is for (140/80-18)

Paolo, sorry I dont do the Maxxis tires. I do have the michelin deserts in stock They are priced at $116.95 each and purchase of any two or more tires will get you
free freight.
You can order those by fax or by email since I dont have them on my website. Fax number is 520-628-2948
I also have the Michelin Baja which is a very good tire. I think I have them priced at around $89.

Blaine
Old 08-09-2004, 02:58 AM   #14
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Deserts were standard on my '04 640 Adv.I find them a good mix, although they get overpowered in wet mud, they are excellent on road in the dry, have only been out in wet weather once this summer and they seemed fine, off road in the dry they are superb, as I say in wet mud, they just about cope, but are no substitute for real nobblies.

I expect mileage of about 3000 miles from the rear.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:51 AM   #15
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,829
Just some more data about the longevity of MT21's on/off road. I did a trip from here to Mauritania last April (pics here). Overall around 9.000 km's, 6 k on road, the rest off road (mostly sand, some rocky tracks too). I had a brand new at start rear MT21 that was like this when I got home:

The front one was still OK for some 4.000 km's more.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote