Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #136
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
I replicated this 2 weeks ago. No fueling issues since. The only issue I had was thinking that the CC was some small canister hidden someplace. It took me a few minutes to realize it was the huge 20oz soda bottle sized black canister in plain freaking view.
LOL.... Awesome.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #137
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Before:

AFTER......

I'm doing the cannisterectomy on my F650GS'YZ'Dakar project bike and came accross this thread.

Not sure I see the point in the putting the little mini air filter on it.

Looking at the parts diagrams

16_0692 - FUEL TANK.... and

If you follow the hoses the go:

From tank Safety Valve (rollover valve) item#3 (part No. 16117691397)
to a hose #14 part 11747797115 "HOSE RUNNING METER - 4,5X9MM (meter)"
to #15 part no. 61661382908 "CONNECTION PIECE"
to a hose...
to #17 part no. 16117721943 "VENTILATION VALVE"

Then if you look at diagram 16_0696 - ACTIVATED CHARCOAL

Item#08 is that same part no. 16117721943 "VENTILATION VALVE" and it connects to the same "Running Hose" #9 (part no. 11747797115)

= Exact same ventilation valve and hose as above.

Then it goes via #7 hose to the charcoal can.

So all you really need to do to remove the can is to connect the Ventilation Valve" item#8 in this drawing to #14 hose and leave the Y in place. Tank will vent itself as normal and no water gets in.

Then just remove both hoses from #4 Fuel Tank Breather Valve (part no. 13901465030) and leave it plugged in place so it can cycle but doesn't throw a code.

Finally plug the hose coming off #4 to the right which connects to the throttle bodies.

They way it is in the drawing above you are plugging before the electric breather valve but I can't tell why you would want to do that.

The filter won't do much really other than catch gas but if you connect on the other side of #08 VENTILATION VALVE then that valve probably blocks the gas and lets the air out as needed.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #138
tempeturtle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Part 8, the valve seems to get gummed up (small pouris ball) and if that happens pressure builds up in the tank and some have cracked. I removed part 8 when I removed the canister and terminated it into a filter. Is it needed? Probably not but I felt better after words.. haha. Anyways I would most defiantly remove that part 8 valve.
tempeturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #139
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempeturtle View Post
Part 8, the valve seems to get gummed up (small pouris ball) and if that happens pressure builds up in the tank and some have cracked. I removed part 8 when I removed the canister and terminated it into a filter. Is it needed? Probably not but I felt better after words.. haha. Anyways I would most defiantly remove that part 8 valve.
Two more thoughts...

1) seems to me an inline filter would work as good as the red filter on the end. Maybe an inline fuel filter?

2) If the EU bikes don't have the charcoal canister AND ALSO don't have the fuel tank breather valve (part. no 13901465030) why is it there and what does it do?

I'm thinking about just unhooking the hoses from both ends of that valve and leaving it in place to cycle air. Then I'll cap the hose going back to the throttle body so it will be more like the EU bikes.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #140
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

So I tested the charcoal canister on my F650GS that I have just removed by blowing into it. The CC flows air pretty well.

So I am wondering if plugging the Breather Valve has any ill effects? What would happen if I just left a hose connected to the breather valve and let it breathe to the atmosphere? Or connected it via a T back to the tank and atmosphere.

Seems to me if that valve is sucking air but is plugged then the fueling at certain throttle tip parameters might be off a it. :?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #141
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

In this diagram:

What I am wondering is why not use a small in-line fuel filter instead of the air filter? Does the air filter prevent water from getting through?

Also on the side with the Fuel Tank Breather Valve is capping it the best?

I just did a tank swap and removed the charcoal canister on my F650GS (EU tank holds more fuel). I plugged the breather valve. I have noticed on cold starts a bit of hesitation so I am planning to install some sort of a filter on it. Not sure if I'll use an inline fuel filter or air filter of some sort.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #142
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Cold Start hesitation is more likely a sign of your BATTERY getting tired than anything to do with vent,vacuum or vapor control lines.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #143
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Cold Start hesitation is more likely a sign of your BATTERY getting tired than anything to do with vent,vacuum or vapor control lines.

Sorry, but I phrased that wrong writing too quickly... I didn't mean cold startup hesitation but instead...

After starting up... when I go to start riding the bike feels like it is not producing power from the initial throttle roll on or tip-in. It goes but it seems like it is not getting the right fuel mixture. I think this is because the Fuel Tank Breather Valve is plugged and so it is trying to open and let air from the char can into the throttle body AND the fuel map is expecting it but the line is plugged.

I am guessing that you are not feeling this on the F800GS b/c the added HP and different fuelling may mask the feeling.

Has anyone tried running it with the line open or with an in-line fuel filter or in-line air filter in place instead of plugging the line?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #144
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Sorry, but I phrased that wrong writing too quickly... I didn't mean cold startup hesitation but instead...

After starting up... when I go to start riding the bike feels like it is not producing power from the initial throttle roll on or tip-in. It goes but it seems like it is not getting the right fuel mixture. I think this is because the Fuel Tank Breather Valve is plugged and so it is trying to open and let air from the char can into the throttle body AND the fuel map is expecting it but the line is plugged.

I am guessing that you are not feeling this on the F800GS b/c the added HP and different fuelling may mask the feeling.

Has anyone tried running it with the line open or with an in-line fuel filter or in-line air filter in place instead of plugging the line?
I would be willing to bet that the additional air flow from the canister is completely negligible compared to the intake air flow of the bike.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #145
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Yep confirmed talking to a local mechanic the best routing is to just plug the Fuel Tank Breather Valve & vent the tank to atmosphere or a filter.

:-D. All set now
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #146
gspirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Im currently searching to purchase an 800GS and have been researching. Ive done a lot of searching on this topic and have a couple of questions. If any of this is already posted i apologize in advance. Just wanna make the best decision on the new bike.

1. Has the set up of the vent lines off the canister changed over model years, specifically 2012/2013 models?

2. With everybody coming up with solutions for the issue, has anybody outside of the US posted detailed pictures of how their bike is set up since they do not have the canister. ie.. no line at all out of tank or line just running to X location to vent? Since non US bikes done have the cannister why reinvent the wheel instead of setting up like their bikes?
gspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #147
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspirate View Post
Im currently searching to purchase an 800GS and have been researching. Ive done a lot of searching on this topic and have a couple of questions. If any of this is already posted i apologize in advance. Just wanna make the best decision on the new bike.

1. Has the set up of the vent lines off the canister changed over model years, specifically 2012/2013 models?

2. With everybody coming up with solutions for the issue, has anybody outside of the US posted detailed pictures of how their bike is set up since they do not have the canister. ie.. no line at all out of tank or line just running to X location to vent? Since non US bikes done have the cannister why reinvent the wheel instead of setting up like their bikes?
1. Yes. They changed it in 2010 by adding a Y to the system. No problems since.

2. Pictures no, but I did post up here how it is done on the EU bikes. It vents to atmosphere.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #148
gspirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Thanks!
gspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #149
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
1. Yes. They changed it in 2010 by adding a Y to the system. No problems since.

2. Pictures no, but I did post up here how it is done on the EU bikes. It vents to atmosphere.
I have a 2009 model year, and had a recall done to add the "Y"

I was thinking that on the EU bikes that the 2-way check-valve was still used ... but can not swear to that............
I see no reason to keep that valve, but I do think the EU bikes have it, likely to reduce the "breathing" of the tank to the atmosphere...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #150
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I have a 2009 model year, and had a recall done to add the "Y"

I was thinking that on the EU bikes that the 2-way check-valve was still used ... but can not swear to that............
I see no reason to keep that valve, but I do think the EU bikes have it, likely to reduce the "breathing" of the tank to the atmosphere...
If you mean the roll over safety valve then yes they do.