Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #46
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
... What I was thinking, was the need for filters or hose routing. It seems like most bikes don't use anything very fancy....

Just thinking things through so I don't miss someting.

The F8GS does have fuel pumps and FI so clean fuel is important I guess.

David
None of my old bikes had any type of filter at all, and at the very least every tank full of gas they had to suck in several "gallons" of air as the gas was used up...

But a small filter can't hurt, I'm wondering if one of the clear in-line fuel filters wouldn't do OK and take up less space.

http://www.amazon.com/Visu-Filter-In...dp/B00388NNMS/
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #47
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
None of my old bikes had any type of filter at all, and at the very least every tank full of gas they had to suck in several "gallons" of air as the gas was used up...

But a small filter can't hurt, I'm wondering if one of the clear in-line fuel filters wouldn't do OK and take up less space.

I think that any filter would be fine..... Personally I like one I can clean.... But your right... It is 1000 times too big....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #48
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
first off thanx to yetiGS for this thread...

second... I didn't find it anywhere but this mod doesn't work without some revisions for the TT tank
Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #49
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:

That is an in line liquid fuel filter not an air filter though. It won't filter air as good as an air filter would. I've had a couple of the Visi fuel filters for other bikes. They go in line between the petcock on the fuel tank and the carb.

I personally do not run a filter on the fuel tank vent line. I've never had any problems and probably won't. I think it's overkill.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #50
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
That is an in line liquid fuel filter not an air filter though. It won't filter air as good as an air filter would. I've had a couple of the Visi fuel filters for other bikes. They go in line between the petcock on the fuel tank and the carb.

I personally do not run a filter on the fuel tank vent line. I've never had any problems and probably won't. I think it's overkill.
Griz:
I think I agree that any filter is probably over-kill but hey for a couple bucks I can live with overkill. Yes I picked the fuel filter intentionally (I thought I said it was a fuel filter in my append, but maybe not) for it's smaller size. The flow rate is low so the fuel filter should have no trouble passing enough air, and both the air and fuel filter would filter down to some number of microns so would keep out plenty of stuff.

I have a cracked tank and the canister system. I don't know for sure if the canister system contributes to cracking or not but the little poll we're running seems to imply there could be a connection only 110 people have voted but from that sample:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...s-tank-cracked

~1:3 chance of a crack if you have the canister system... and perhaps ~1:50 (maybe 1:100+) or better without the canister.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #51
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
first off thanx to yetiGS for this thread...

second... I didn't find it anywhere but this mod doesn't work without some revisions for the TT tank
You're welcome!

Quote:
Griz:
I think I agree that any filter is probably over-kill but hey for a couple bucks I can live with overkill. Yes I picked the fuel filter intentionally (I thought I said it was a fuel filter in my append, but maybe not) for it's smaller size. The flow rate is low so the fuel filter should have no trouble passing enough air, and both the air and fuel filter would filter down to some number of microns so would keep out plenty of stuff.

I have a cracked tank and the canister system. I don't know for sure if the canister system contributes to cracking or not but the little poll we're running seems to imply there could be a connection only 110 people have voted but from that sample:

~1:3 chance of a crack if you have the canister system... and perhaps ~1:50 (maybe 1:100+) or better without the canister.
Hey Griz, I thought you kept your canister on your bike??

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #52
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Griz:

To each his own of course. I'm not going to run a filter on the gas tank vent line on my bike though. The Euro/rest of the world models don't, so that's good enough for me. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Hey Griz, I thought you kept your canister on your bike??
It's been on and off. It's back on now. My dealer just did the recall fix for the charcoal canister (hose reroute with Y-fitting). I've never had a problem with the charcoal canister since the day I bought the bike, and I suspect I never will.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #53
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
To each his own of course. I'm not going to run a filter on the gas tank vent line on my bike though. The Euro/rest of the world models don't, so that's good enough for me. Cheers.

It's been on and off. It's back on now. My dealer just did the recall fix for the charcoal canister (hose reroute with Y-fitting). I've never had a problem with the charcoal canister since the day I bought the bike, and I suspect I never will.
Those of you that have not voted, please READ the "fine print" in the poll, I asked that only those that removed the pressure/vacuum checkvalve to vote as "non-canister" equipted. I.E. non-canister "System" equipted
Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #54
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:

Quote:
Those of you that have not voted, please READ the "fine print" in the poll, I asked that only those that removed the pressure/vacuum checkvalve to vote as "non-canister" equipted. I.E. non-canister "System" equipted
I voted on that a long time ago. How does this apply to me?...as in why are you quoting me when you say what you're saying here?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #55
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I voted on that a long time ago. How does this apply to me?...as in why are you quoting me when you say what you're saying here?
Sorry... did you take out your pressure/vacuum checkvalve when you did your canister-ectomy? I was thinking you did not, and that's what I was getting at ... but I had been
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #56
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Sorry... did you take out your pressure/vacuum checkvalve when you did your canister-ectomy? I was thinking you did not, and that's what I was getting at ... but I had been
Which pressure/vacuum checkvalve are you referring to?

If you mean the one that's in the tube which comes out of the tank and goes to the charcoal canister, do you realize that that valve is in the European/Canadian/everywhere bikes too? It's the same part number.

The only difference is that the European bikes don't connect to a charcoal canister.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #57
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Which pressure/vacuum checkvalve are you referring to?

If you mean the one that's in the tube which comes out of the tank and goes to the charcoal canister, do you realize that that valve is in the European/Canadian/everywhere bikes too? It's the same part number.

The only difference is that the European bikes don't connect to a charcoal canister.
YetiGS ... yup I think you're correct. I was misinformed ... again ...

OK so ... now I'm back to my original question ... why does it appear this problem seems focused on the USA-bikes? Maybe that's not correct either...
Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #58
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
YetiGS ... yup I think you're correct. I was misinformed ... again ...

OK so ... now I'm back to my original question ... why does it appear this problem seems focused on the USA-bikes? Maybe that's not correct either...
Given that the US bikes are the only ones with the charcoal canister, and US bikes seem to be the only ones that are cracking, I think it HAS to be the canister that's causing the problem. Other than the canister, the fuel tank vent system the same worldwide.

Maybe when you combine the canister with the checkvalve, it creates too much or too little presure in the tank, hence the cracking.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #59
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Given that the US bikes are the only ones with the charcoal canister, and US bikes seem to be the only ones that are cracking, I think it HAS to be the canister that's causing the problem. Other than the canister, the fuel tank vent system the same worldwide.

Maybe when you combine the canister with the checkvalve, it creates too much or too little presure in the tank, hence the cracking.
The, if working correctly, just is sucking air in from the bottom tube thus extracting gasoline vapors stored in the charcoal and submitting it for combustion via the intake tract. Really no net vacuum or pressure should be applied to the tank... and in theory I can't see how the tank would see any difference from the canister being hung on the end of the vent line or not...

If the canister is plugged and/or the pressure/vacuum check is stuck that's an entirly different story... but still doesn't explain anything in terms of USA vs. Euro bikes...
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #60
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,614
Do other contries use oxygenated fuels? Ethonal or other type of addatives?

Also, are there structural differences in the subframe to mount other electrical requirements for US bikes?

Just thinking of other ideas.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote