User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
EM-50 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Bohn armor pants?

Any one have a review? I ride alot with kevlar jeans and was considering these. Are they comfortable enough for everyday riding?Do they actualy fit under jeans? Thanks!

Are you just another American, who saw to many cowboy movies as a child?
EM-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 315
I have the Bohn Adventure pants. I wouldn't say they are the best under gear you could put on, but they are tons better than just wearing jeans regardless of what they are made of. You want them to be alittle tight so the knee/shin protection doesn't rotate in a get off. I find them to be very comfortable for long distances (I wore mine on a recent 2K+ ride under my regular riding pants). Here's the kink...they are soft armor, if you want serious slide protection you might be better off looking at something like Icon Field armor.

If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the Bohn Adventure shorts and Icon Field armor IMHO.
darkstarmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
79SouthJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
I have the Bohn Adventure pants. I wouldn't say they are the best under gear you could put on, but they are tons better than just wearing jeans regardless of what they are made of. You want them to be alittle tight so the knee/shin protection doesn't rotate in a get off. I find them to be very comfortable for long distances (I wore mine on a recent 2K+ ride under my regular riding pants). Here's the kink...they are soft armor, if you want serious slide protection you might be better off looking at something like Icon Field armor.

If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the Bohn Adventure shorts and Icon Field armor IMHO.
I am actually considering the Bohn Adventure shorts. I was curious if the full length pants version that you own added any comfort to the seat area. I was hoping the padding in the seat area is sort of a soft type material. It's hard to tell from the advertisements I have seen so far. I am looking to add a little protection and relieve some pain on that 2x4 they call a seat on my bike.
Thanks,
Jim
79SouthJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto
... You want them to be alittle tight so the knee/shin protection doesn't rotate in a get off. ...
This is my only real complaint with them. I find that just riding will move the armour (migrates lower and to the side) from where it should be. I don't use them much anyway; and haven't gotten around to seeing if the pocket can be sewed closed or tighter.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I just got mine in the mail last week and so far I like them. Felt awkward at first but after a few minutes forgot I had them on. I'm 6'6" and got the XL and the armour has stayed where it should. Haven't had any "migration" issues after about 500 miles of riding. I wear mine under double-lined Carharrt jeans. I rode in 100-degree heat and they didn't feel too hot -- a bit more than normal obviously, but not enough to bother me. There's good ventilation in the crotchal region so you'll still be fertile after a ride.
1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
I have used the Adventure pants for 6 years, always under jeans. Never put them to any proctection test. The tailbone pad can be a bit uncomfortable at times.

They are warm and don't breath extremely well. The material is kind of spandex/lycra like and is close fitting but not skin tight. The armor coverage is very good and the armor feels substantial.

Better than jeans alone. By how much, hard to say.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Have you looked at the Forcefield pants?
they have a superb rating
johnson leather sells them in SF and on the web
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
MajesticRider
Yes, I'm new here

Oddometer: 2
I have them, and wear them under my Draggin' Jeans or the Sliders cargo pants. I get some pain in the tailbone after a while, but not with these--that tailbone armor seems to help.

I have the mesh version. Bit like putting on panty hose--well, I'm familiar with that even if you guys aren't. You'll get hot where the armor is, but nowhere else.

I don't notice too much discomfort, and the armor seems to stay put. I will say, though, that the ankle zippers sometimes bother me when my boots press on them. But that is extremely minor.
MajesticRider is offline   Reply With Quote