User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Mr Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Thanks for the info Belhamel.
Maybe a victim of the crazy Yamaha pricing.

Just like the new VMax that was going walk off the floor, order only etc. A few sitting on dealer floors and will probably stay that way for a while.

Tenere may be the same.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
The Trail Cutter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belhamel
Hey Guys, got the official memo today - $13999 GST incl plus ORC. Second week of September.

Oh, I work in a Yamaha shop...

WOOOOOHOOOOOOoooooooo nice one, can't wait to get my deposit down!!
The Trail Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
funguschops
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Cheaper than the XTR?? That beast is $4000 overpriced IMHO anyway.
???? you can ride away on and new XTR for 10 grand or less ????
funguschops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
funguschops
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craypot
Its made in Italy so with the premium every other euro manufacturer thinks they can stick on the price of their bikes its probably in the ball park.
+1 - the cost of the KTM690, X Challenge etc etc is changing peoples perception of what a dual sport thumper is worth, soon the "anomolly" with be the DR650 - have those things reached $9.95 yet
funguschops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #20
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Purchased a new Yamaha XTZ600 Tenere in about 1986. One of the blue ones with the boulbous but still nice looking 23 litre tanks. This bike is one of those bikes that I often look back on with great fondness because it offered 51hp (topped out about 175/180kph) had great long travel suspension, a genuine 400+km range and only weighed about 160kg. This was a bike that went just as well up the bush as the standard big bore traillie of the day, the TT600, yet could tour the continent in comfort and was no bad thing in the twisties mixing it with the sports bikes of the day.

Everything that I have read in the overseas m/c press says that Yamaha's new bike is reluctant to pull past an asthmatic 150kays and weighs close to 190kg. NO THANKS MR YAMAHA, I dont see the point! For $13999 one would be better off buying a new G650GS for $13,300 and spending the extra lacing up a 21" front wheel plus a Staintine.
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #21
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
$13999 plus ORC??

You have got to be fucking joking??

Wait 6 months and they will be $12990 ride-away like most Yamaha's of late when they cant find anyone stupid enough to pay that price for the damn things!!

But then again, enough fools paid $11.5K for a WR250R when they came out so anything is possible?

A 690R with a big tank seems like a bargain in comparison, and 30kg lighter!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #22
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,547
What's the comparison?
DR 'needs' a Safari tank, fairing, better tyres, muffler, seat alteration, pannier frames & rack. You get an aircooled, carburettor'd single that is as honest as they come. You'll need to buy all the luggage and there are almost no accessories available from Suzuki. There seems to be heaps elsewhere.

XTZ has 23 litres, assuming with a fuel pump and injection. For similar range, you'll need a jerry can or bladder. You get the fairing. The seat comfort will have to be judged, but being stepped, I don't know how satisfactory it'll be. Heaps of accessories, and you will be encouraged to buy the H&B designed/manufacturered luggage.

Did someone mention KLR? Ands what will Honda's eventual response be - surely not the Transalp?

What's the power out put of each? And does it matter, since mostly we ride around at 50-110km/h? It will if you want to ride at 130+ on a bitumen road all day. If that's your thing you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Probably torque, weight & height are more significant issues, when you want to climb a steep hill or drag yourself through sand or mud (or avoid same, like the plague).

I'm back in the market. This time it will be a single. I can justify to myself the cost of a 690E. It's one of those things that go with brand exlusivity or some such crap. Why do people spend $40k on a 'Wing when an FJR will probably be just as effective??

I don't know that I could justify $14k + orc for a Yamaha, even when I have 3 of the brand in the garage already.
There would want to be some fairly significant extra fruit.

Yes, it's assembled in Italy. But it is still Japanese. That means that it should be reliable and easy to maintain.

I can see DR650s going everywhere the XTZ goes, the same as they go everywhere 1200GSA, 990s, 640s etc etc go.

What a pleasant dilema

BTW - I like the blue one.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #23
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
[quote=Grizzlybear]Purchased a new Yamaha XTZ600, it offered 51hp (topped out about 175/180kph) had great long travel suspension, a genuine 400+km range and only weighed about 160kg. This was a bike that went just as well up the bush as the standard big bore traillie of the day,
NO THANKS MR YAMAHA, For $13999 one would be better off buying a

XTZ600 (1986) and restoring it
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #24
Marcbar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Fueled up ready to go there's only 20kg approx weight difference between the Tenere and the 1200 GS. Still a big pig!
Marcbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #25
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Has anybody bothered to check the Yamaha Australia web site?

Link here.

I thought not.
Thanks for the link.

Website says the colour choice is going to be blue or black.

Like we need another black bike on the market.
Hard enough to see bikes as it is, Hell, lets just keep on making black ones, no reason to start making bikes more visible or use brighter colours these days.

In Europe all the ones we saw were either white and red or that cool khaki colour. They really made the Tenere stand out.
It annoys me that we, the paying customer, can't just order in the colour we want.
In fact that's the way it should be.

(Not that I'm likely to buy a Tenere at 14 K mind you. Does Yamaha think they are the new BMW or KTM?)

Ah well, like others here have said...in 12 months the price of the unsold units will drop. In 2 years there will be much cheaper used models around.

Making a prediction here...every bike magazine in Oz that gets a demo Tenere is going to say what a great bike it is. How it's a round Oz tourer straight out of the box. How the ergonomics are well thought out and comfortable and how...although seemingly expensive compared to other Japanese models...is fair value for money due to the rising cost of manufactuers output and the quality of the parts used etc etc.

I may as well just write an article for them now and save them the trouble of tapping away at the keyboard.

Best to read British reviews...Brit bike journos don't care if they upset the big four manufacturers or not.

And having said that the British reviews weren't terrible. Most agreed you can easily tour long distance off road on the new Tenere.
Most of the testers were quite happy with the new machine.

I think the big hurdle for Yamaha will be the 14K asking cost.
The economy is in a slump and people are being very careful with their money.
Someone might want to mention that to them.

Now if they had a buy one, get one free offer???
Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #26
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqhammar

Making a prediction here...every bike magazine in Oz that gets a demo Tenere is going to say what a great bike it is. How it's a round Oz tourer straight out of the box. How the ergonomics are well thought out and comfortable and how...although seemingly expensive compared to other Japanese models...is fair value for money due to the rising cost of manufactuers output and the quality of the parts used etc etc.

I may as well just write an article for them now and save them the trouble of tapping away at the keyboard.
Classic Jaq

I think I will stick with my DR as all the magazines love them
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #27
The Trail Cutter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
$13999 plus ORC??

You have got to be fucking joking??

Wait 6 months and they will be $12990 ride-away like most Yamaha's of late when they cant find anyone stupid enough to pay that price for the damn things!!

But then again, enough fools paid $11.5K for a WR250R when they came out so anything is possible?

A 690R with a big tank seems like a bargain in comparison, and 30kg lighter!!
I notice a lot of talk about the weight issue, I think what is more important is...how is the weight held in the bike, up high or down low, the tenere looks like the weight is very low slung so the bike probably feels a shit load lighter then the stated weight in the tech notes.
Sure, $14k is bit over the odds but I predict they'll sell plenty in the first six months but unlike an enduro bike that gets turned over ever 12 months/24months, the tenere is a long term keeper, for me the price tag is no deterrent.
I know a few bike shops have already had depsoits wacked down on them.

Besides that, someone has to be the first sucker to get one.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #28
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,479
It's not a $14k bike, its a $15.5 to $16k bike

Or is Yamaha excused from the fair trading laws that require traders to put the real price on their wares?

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #29
The Trail Cutter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
It's not a $14k bike, its a $15.5 to $16k bike

Or is Yamaha excused from the fair trading laws that require traders to put the real price on their wares?
The cost of the bike is $13,999, wheather you want to register it or not is not up to yamaha
Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #30
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trail Cutter
The cost of the bike is $13,999, wheather you want to register it or not is not up to yamaha
If the bike is being sold as road legal then Yamaha must under current law advertise an on road price so it will be fair to say that anybody who wants to argue will be able to go to their Yamaha dealer and start from the assumption that the bike is $13,990.00 on road then negotiate a discount from that figure.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote