User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #3646
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Cush Drive Rubbers

How do you know if the cush drive rubbers are worn?, according to the XT660Zworkshop manual they just advise to replace if worn, no specifications or measurements.
Anothe rthing I have found is that the sprocket hub is wearing on the rim hub, the bearings are OK but the cush rubbers may be worn out, are the dimples wear indicators?
Has anyone had them replaced under warranty as the bike has only done 12,000km? or are the cush rubbers considered a wear part like brake pads?

http://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycles...36-04160-M.jpg
http://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycles...-36-1785-M.jpg
http://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycles...37-17937-M.jpg
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #3647
Nickj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
How do you know if the cush drive rubbers are worn?, according to the XT660Zworkshop manual they just advise to replace if worn, no specifications or measurements.
Anothe rthing I have found is that the sprocket hub is wearing on the rim hub, the bearings are OK but the cush rubbers may be worn out, are the dimples wear indicators?
Has anyone had them replaced under warranty as the bike has only done 12,000km? or are the cush rubbers considered a wear part like brake pads?

I have had to replace my Cush drive rubbers with every tyre change , so at about 4000km on average. I ride mainly off road and you can feel the delayed response on the throttle and snatch when worn. Also if you can move the sprocket with your hand while the bikes still they are worn.

I doubt warranty will cover them but why not try , they are not cheap if bought from yamaha.

Their are a few mods to pack out worn rubbers with inner tube but I bought 5 sets from off the road and have got 1 set left so I'll try the mod after that.

Nick
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #3648
Dash65
wherethefarkarewe?

Oddometer: 302
Hmm

Quote:

I'd be interested in this as well, Only done 10000km so far and have 1 month warranty left.

Cheers,
Dash

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional
Dash65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #3649
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,436
Mine look just like yours Rob, and I've only done 5500 kms.... I'd be interested to hear what Yamaha think about warranty claims......

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #3650
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Have seen one set in little pieces of rubber with 5000 klms on the clock, same bike has needed a new set every 5000 klm so far. Not sure why this should happen as other brand bikes I have owned with Cush hubs have never needed replacement rubbers.

Sounds like either a design or manufacturing fault to cause that level of wear.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #3651
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 359
Question Cush drive in XTZ660

Quote:

From what I've seen over at www.xt660.com, Yamaha will try to deny you replacement under warranty. I have ordered extra cush rubbers from OTR. They are made by SW Motec and appear slightly harder than the factory ones. We'll see..... The SW Motec bushes from OTR are also significantly cheaper than the Yammy ones.

The cush drive mod described at xt660 is easy as you'll see. The other thing with the cush drive is to maintain your chain tension on the tight side to minimise the backlash from your drivetrain. But I'm thinking you're onto that one already.

Good luck with your warranty claim. Boneman
boneman660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #3652
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneman660 View Post
From what I've seen over at www.xt660.com, Yamaha will try to deny you replacement under warranty. I have ordered extra cush rubbers from OTR. They are made by SW Motec and appear slightly harder than the factory ones. We'll see..... The SW Motec bushes from OTR are also significantly cheaper than the Yammy ones.

The cush drive mod described at xt660 is easy as you'll see. The other thing with the cush drive is to maintain your chain tension on the tight side to minimise the backlash from your drivetrain. But I'm thinking you're onto that one already.

Good luck with your warranty claim. Boneman
I will have a chat with the dealer on Tuesday and see what they say.....If not under warranty I will get a few sets from OTR.
Thanks all for the advise....
Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #3653
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

I found this on the ZXT660 forun......we might be out of luck with the cush drive rubbers....I might just pack them with an old innertube till the new ones come from OTR...

Here is the very nice email I sent to Yahamaha Australia yesterday:

I recently had my 2008 XT660R serviced by Geoff Taylor Motorcycles in Dandenong - this was a standard scheduled 15,000 kms check. Based on comments from a Broken Hill Yamaha Agent who had previously fitted a new rear tyre at around 11,000 kms I asked that the rear cush rubbers be checked during the service and if appropriate be replaced - I did also suggest that my expectation was that this would be a warranty replacement.

The Geoff Taylor Service Department indicated that the cush drive rubbers had indeed started to disintegrate and that they had been replaced but this would be to my cost because Yamaha Australia consider these parts to be a "wear" item and as such would not cover the cush rubbers under a warranty claim.

I have carefully checked the Yamaha Service and Warranty booklet supplied with my bike and can find no such exclusion for these items. As a member of the xt660.com web site I am also aware that many members around the world have had these specific items replaced under warranty. Furthermore, problems with cush rubber wear and disintegration have been well reported around the world with many riders stating that they do seem to be a specific XT660 model weak spot.

I must state that as a repeat customer of the Geoff Taylor Service Department I am in no way dissatisfied with the work performed or the service provided but just the Yamaha Australia Warranty position on parts that do seem to be somewhat deficient.

Can I ask that Yamaha Australia formally state their warranty policy for these items and indicate what they consider to be a reasonable service life expectation when the bike is used for its intended purpose.

And here's the (not so) nice reply from Yamaha Australia received today:

Consumable items are not covered by Yamaha warranty, as outlined in the owners handbook (extract attached - this was the standard page in the Warranty book that while it mentions just about every other part on the bike does not mention cush drive rubbers).

Cush rubbers to wear out at 11,000kms would be considered normal wear and tear and not a warranty repair item.

Regards,
Duilio Pianca - Customer Relations Department
Yamaha Motor Australia

So there you have it folks Yamaha look like they expect the service life of cush drive rubbers in a XT660 to be around 10,000 kms - seems any more than that and you're just being very lucky or simply overly expectant !!!

The hurt part - I note that the price that has tended to be mentioned here is around the GBP 20 ~ 25 mark so why in Oz do they cost $100 (or approximately GBP 60). Gee it must be a long boat ride from Japan
Old 04-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #3654
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
I found this on the ZXT660 forun......we might be out of luck with the cush drive rubbers....I might just pack them with an old innertube till the new ones come from OTR...

Thanks Rob, thought as much. OTR it is.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #3655
Caddyshack
Caddyshack

Oddometer: 21
soft Panners

Hi Boys, Im looking to get some soft panners mainly to keep weight down, can you use the andy staps ones without a frams?
does any have soft panners with out frames?
what are the best ones to get?

Cheers Caddy Shack
Caddyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #3656
Nickj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack View Post
Hi Boys, Im looking to get some soft panners mainly to keep weight down, can you use the andy staps ones without a frams?
does any have soft panners with out frames?
what are the best ones to get?

Cheers Caddy Shack
I'm just experimenting with at Giant Loop from Adventure Moto , it looks ideal as a light weight solution

I have it mounted on the hump of the seat to keep weight forward and keep the rear rack free for tent or fuel bladder .

The Andy bags would need a rack like the wolfman to keep them off the pipes.
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #3657
Caddyshack
Caddyshack

Oddometer: 21
Panniers

Hi all, the hunt goes on, has anyone used these and are they any good?

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...&product_id=55
Caddyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #3658
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack View Post
Hi all, the hunt goes on, has anyone used these and are they any good?

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...&product_id=55
For that price i'd probably just go andy's bags... that way if any repairs are needed you can get them done cheaply or even free!!

or even wolfman bags but you can use more space in andy's if needed.

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #3659
520Shaun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLand View Post
So I am thinking of buying a Tenere. Anyone have a reason not to?

Daily commuter with a weekend a month away on the bike....seems like it is up to the job!

Convince me, either way, please....
Where are you located? Mines for sale on bike point at the moment and you're more than welcome to come check it out. ;) I'm in geelong Victoria.
520Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #3660
520Shaun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Oh, and got a set of Andy bags with removable inserts and racks and a high screen for sale too.
520Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote