User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #3721
KeithDommirider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Hi all
Potential Tenere owner here , thinking of trading in my 640ADV.
Just wondering what areas are susceptible to damage on a drop ?
What sort of engine/tank protection do you recommend ?

Does anyone have this stuff form Yamaha ?
http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/bol...re/tenere/1479
KeithDommirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #3722
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyjet View Post
I have 17,000km so far and have done all services myself, changing oil and filter every 5,000km or earlier... I have a real big ride coming early August which will span my 20,000km... what to do. I am happy to do all myself but time is a factor and given the extensive ride, I want to whole kit and caboodle... So I have booked in at the Bikesmith, whom has a great Yamaha reputation. I will be doing head set bearings and full swing arm service and to have every bolt loctited - just in case and am running an estimate of $1k... nearly shit myself.

Then I started thinking not just about actual time taken but inclusions for tooling, workshop space, margin etc... not to mention I am really going to be paying for a professional who does this sort of thing often, is trained on the intricacies and may have some experience to resolve a minor problem before it causes me to be stuck in the middle of the gunbarrel... If I end up with a lack of oil I will be a pretty unhappy camper. That said, so far I have only had email correspondence in booking in, but aside from the shock value of a $1,000 service for a $13,000 bike, they have been great. Fingers crossed for my actual dealings...
The hardest thing about a 20K service is getting to the RHF rocker cover allen key bolt...it is a prick to get to...apart from that adjusting the valves is easy.
Doing a swing arm service is easy too, no special tools needed.
You are better off doing the work your self as you will learn how to fix your bike and not just ride it.
I would read the manual and take it slowly.
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #3723
shelbyjet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
You are better off doing the work your self as you will learn how to fix your bike and not just ride it.
Thats a fair point...
Old 05-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #3724
shelbyjet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDommirider View Post
Hi all
Just wondering what areas are susceptible to damage on a drop ?

The simplest thing... Dropped on flat ground, not moving, infact, not even on the bike... On the right hand side, it appears that the back brake lever protrudes at the right line outside the back of your racks and the handlebars... Even a drop as described pushed the brake pedal up and into the casing, big scratch, but that was not the issue... the brake lever was then too high to be comfortable to use, was a lift of the leg to get on the brake when seated and accidental braking when on on the pegs... Bending back into place using trail tools got the pedal away from the casing, but we could not lower it. I had to pull it off back at the shed and heat it up and bent it into a new profile... It is now much improved but I am paranoid of dropping it on the right again...
Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #3725
KeithDommirider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The simplest thing... Dropped on flat ground, not moving, infact, not even on the bike... On the right hand side, it appears that the back brake lever protrudes at the right line outside the back of your racks and the handlebars... Even a drop as described pushed the brake pedal up and into the casing, big scratch, but that was not the issue... the brake lever was then too high to be comfortable to use, was a lift of the leg to get on the brake when seated and accidental braking when on on the pegs... Bending back into place using trail tools got the pedal away from the casing, but we could not lower it. I had to pull it off back at the shed and heat it up and bent it into a new profile... It is now much improved but I am paranoid of dropping it on the right again...
Ok thanks , so do you have any crash bars fancy bash plate on your bike ?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #3726
shelbyjet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDommirider View Post
Ok thanks , so do you have any crash bars fancy bash plate on your bike ?
B&B Bash plate, which I think is great. No other protection up front... Was in two minds to get it and in the end, opted out because I wanted to put the money elsewhere... Hope that decision does not come back to haunt me, but no dramas in 2 years.

Oh, wait - I have the rectifier cover from touratech... it is the equivalent of using a piece of tin foil to protect a shaman tank. Waste of money.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #3727
TenereTravelers
Let's go there!

Oddometer: 61
I have SW Motech crash bars, Barkbuster handguards and B&B bashplate on mine. I hit a kangaroo whilst doing about 60km/h and dropped the bike in the right side. The damage was scratched and bend SW Motech crash bar, scratched Barkbuster hand guard and bend foot brake lever. I rode the bike home 100km with a broken leg, grade 3 PCL tear and busted ankle but that is a whole other story! These bikes are tough as nails and can handle a lot.

Cheers, Jan
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 AM   #3728
shelbyjet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenereTravelers View Post
I have SW Motech crash bars, Barkbuster handguards and B&B bashplate on mine. I hit a kangaroo whilst doing about 60km/h and dropped the bike in the right side. The damage was scratched and bend SW Motech crash bar, scratched Barkbuster hand guard and bend foot brake lever. I rode the bike home 100km with a broken leg, grade 3 PCL tear and busted ankle but that is a whole other story! These bikes are tough as nails and can handle a lot.

Cheers, Jan
Hey TT, do you know where you got your temperature gauge? I bought one from Jaycar that is a home one, worked a treat for a while but has condensed up and is now inaccurate.

Cheers.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #3729
KeithDommirider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Cheers, Jan
Crikey!
That's some crash testing :)
I tend to get in tight spots and having to rest the bike on its side occasionally when my confidence exceeds my ability.
So you recommend the SW Motech crash bars then , I will have a look.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #3730
barneyrubble
Just tired

Oddometer: 477
I'm very happy with SW Motech crash bars. I've tested (unintentionally) both sides with slow speed off road drops. The bars are a little scuffed but other than that no signs of bending. They protected the plastics perfectly.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #3731
Mattyvas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Can't say I've hit a too with mine but yes the SW bars are great.
Since having (bike&bars) and having the same confidence/ability issue, I have been on my side looking at a few trails and the bike is unmarked.
I also have the factory bash plate, came with the bike and it does a fine job really.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #3732
killermilchschnitte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo View Post
Having been through this entire thread there isn't much mention of riding two up.

How is the bike loaded two up from rider and pillion perspectives?

I'm after a rough road tourer (pot holed tar and gravel) for Asia. To give some perspective I'm currently on an XT250 so pillion wise anything will be a step up from her point of view

I have 650 and 1150 GSs in my past but like the XT so I'd like to stay with the family.

Cheers.
It's surprisingly comfy. We've had one for two years now and done some travelling with it, most recently to southern Tunisia. Had to get rid of the stock seat (see answer below) but no other modifications necessary. There's obviously less space than on a GSA but it's certainly enough if you're thin. My wife has enough space in the back and never complained, I have enough space to move and wiggle around a bit if necessary. Engine is still pulling like a tractor even two-up with full luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnx650 View Post
I too have been looking for an improvement in the seat, but don't really want to modify/butcher my OE seat and maybe not make the improvement required.

I was having a look last night and found these
http://shop.touratech.com/comfort-se...nere-high.html

I would like some more padding under my backside and wouldn't mind losing the hump for the pillion as well.

The profile looks great, but will need to work out how much the seat height is increased.

Has anyone tried these aftermarket seats?
This the seat made by Kahedo. I've bought one after having tried the stock seat fist, than a Bagster gel seat (never EVER will I get a Bagster seat again... pure crap and worse than a bed of nails). Kahedo makes three different versions: -4cm for the vertically challenged, original height, and +4cm. The one in the picture is the latter, +4cm with no visible hump for the pillion. The seat is a gazillion times more comfortable than stock or Bagster, the pillion seat is wider and longer. Can definitely recommend this seat, my arse was fine even after long days.

This is what it looks like on the bike:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

killermilchschnitte screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 05:50 AM
killermilchschnitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #3733
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Hi Wilmo, I rode my bike home, put it on the mainstand, took off my riding gear and then checked the oil and nothing showed on the dipstick. It took another 600ml to register normal readings! Always pays to double check..

Cheers, Jan
Quite right then - what crap service!

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #3734
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Put a brake snake on it

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSR-Brake...item3f0ba07c08

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #3735
shelbyjet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Wouldn't avoid the damage, it still pushes into the casing, effectively loosening the snake.