ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
aphazia OP
KLR+Duct tape+Dreams!

Oddometer: 1,258
NY FF in the area, seeking Dragon info...

Hey ya FFs! I'm currently in Cameron NC visiting friends. I was laid off about a month ago and decided to take some time and tour around randomly on my 07 KLR.

Obviously, being unemployed, my budget is nearly zero. Gas and ramen, mostly. That being said, any tips on visiting the Dragon on the cheap?

I may have a place to crash in Knoxville for a night, but I plan on camping 95% of the time - I am loaded with tent and camp gear.

I'm not sure when I'll be leaving Cameron just yet - likely Monday AM or Tuesday AM. I only plan a day or two at the Dragon, as I intend to head to NOLA next, then onwards to Houston, and then I'm Colorado-bound.

Any tips, good free camping, $20 or less motels, etc, please, clue this northerner in. I am absolutely stoked to see the Smokies, so places and routes to take on the way there, also quite welcome. I have my Garmin, so GPX files are also welcome.

Hope to see some of you out there, even!

Thansk in advance for any help!

-----anton
Old 08-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphazia
Any tips, good free camping, $20 or less motels, etc, please, clue this northerner in. I am absolutely stoked to see the Smokies, so places and routes to take on the way there, also quite welcome. I have my Garmin, so GPX files are also welcome.

For The cheapest camping $0 dispersed camping in the National Forests. the closest to the Dragon I think would be along FR81 (pick it up near the East end of the Cherohala Skyway) also a great dualsport road, follow it towards Tellico Plains go under the skyway down North River Rd (camping along it also) to river road and then down to Tellico Plains, Stop at Tellico Motorcycle outfitters and talk to Minimike for more riding.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,586
You are welcome to camp on our property in Clayton Ga on the way through if needed. Let me know and I can get you some directions.

Clay

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
jrodgolfer
Huge Member

Oddometer: 221
You can camp at Deals Gap pretty cheaply. You can throw a tent up on the property at the back near the motel. I used to be a local and the people at the store will take good care of you.

If you can stay in Knoxville for free you'd burn almost the same dollar amount in gas going back and forth to Deals Gap that it would cost you to camp there.

Let the Adventure's begin...
jrodgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 43
Free stop in Birmingham

If Birmingham is on your route you are welcome to crash here for a night, I'm single and sleep on the couch anyways, so you can have the master bedroom and your own bath. Might be good after a few nights camping. If this fits your plan send me a pm and I'll get you my cell number.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 339
You can also camp at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (http://www.ironhorsenc.com/) for $15 per night. It is located right off Highway 28 about 10-15 minutes from the Tail of the Dragon. It has a dining hall area.

Or try the Joyce Kilmer National Forest area right outside of Robbinsville. You can get to it from the Cherohala Skyway (Route 143 in NC).
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
wait a week and you can ride with me. I'll be leavintg Bennett, NC on sept 7th and hitting the blue ridge parkway going toward cherokee. willville mc campground at $12 a night and Blue Ridge Mc campground about the same. Most camping in the deals gap area will run around $20 a night. deals gap is a really good place to camp and was $7 the last time I camped there.
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,942
[quote=Wanderer13]You can also camp at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (http://www.ironhorsenc.com/) for $15 per night. It is located right off Highway 28 about 10-15 minutes from the Tail of the Dragon. It has a dining hall area

killer prime rib on sat night

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,422
you are only 5-20 miles from the Area 51 Crew

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...57135&page=169
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
aphazia OP
KLR+Duct tape+Dreams!

Oddometer: 1,258
Thanks for all the info guys. I"m leaving Cameon bright and early and headed out that way and will plan to camp River Rd- think I figured out where you were referring to!

Extra thanks for the offers to crash at your homes and set up camp on lawns, as well - if plans change and the locations meet my route, I will absolutely get you a PM sent stat. :)

If you see a loaded up black 07 KLR with NY plates, flip me off and say Hi! :)

And I read up a bit, Area 51 crew looks like fun - maybe the buddy I'm staying with (he's a Sgt, combat medic, stationed at Bragg) will join you soon - I gave him some riding lessons the other day and he's looking on craigslist now for a DRZ! ;)