Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #496
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
I have the Gerber camp ax (Identical to the Friskars without the orange) and It is now a 'leave it in the back of the truck incase I ever need it' ax. For motorcycling, hiking, car camping etc - it has been replaced by :

Granfors Bruks Small Forest Ax.

All I can say is OMFG WOW. So sharp new that it cut stubble off my cheek (yes I actually tried). Cuts wood like a razor, light enough to carry - but can fall a 1' tree if needed.

One of the best upgrades I have ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni
I'd be interested in what you think. Like I posted earlier, it's the hatchet that I carry with me on the bike right now. It's not the best splitter, IMHO, because of the way the handle wraps around the blade. Wood has a tendancy to get wedged between the handle and the blade.

Otherwise I really like it due to what you said. Light weight, sturdy construction etc.

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #497
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
Tarts with KTMs choose the Fiskar axe over a knife, as the former matches the paintjob of their bike.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #498
BimotaBoy
Scooter Trash!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911
I have the Gerber camp ax (Identical to the Friskars without the orange) and It is now a 'leave it in the back of the truck incase I ever need it' ax. For motorcycling, hiking, car camping etc - it has been replaced by :

Granfors Bruks Small Forest Ax.

All I can say is OMFG WOW. So sharp new that it cut stubble off my cheek (yes I actually tried). Cuts wood like a razor, light enough to carry - but can fall a 1' tree if needed.

One of the best upgrades I have ever made.

Axes are just like Knives, there is cheap stamped out cheap stuff, semi custom good stuff, and custom Razor sharp great stuff!
In my opinion Quality always wins over quantity!

Ducati HYM 796
Yamaha YSR (KX) 65
BimotaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #499
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimotaBoy
Axes are just like Knives, there is cheap stamped out cheap stuff, semi custom good stuff, and custom Razor sharp great stuff!
In my opinion Quality always wins over quantity!
I don't put a lot of weight on "sharp". You can sharpen anything, including an old leaf spring (and that is good steel). A duller axe is easier to ship. But high end makers do sharpen their stuff, part of the trip.

The Gransfors forest axe is a narrow blade limbing axe, You can fell some pretty bigs stuff with it but it is not strong for splitting. it's made for limbing green wood. I got my brother one and he likes it a lot. Dropped a dying 6" birch in the yard with it and carried it in the van.

I prefer the Estwing for that sort of use because it has a steel shank, just try to break it; It will survive a fire, you can hammer anything with it as much as you like and if it gets stolen I won't cry. When I do demolition work, I grab the Estwing (ditto their hammers).
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #500
BimotaBoy
Scooter Trash!

Oddometer: 293
This is my spliter,hammer,axe and knife!

P.S. If it got stolen I would CRY!

Ducati HYM 796
Yamaha YSR (KX) 65
BimotaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #501
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
I don't put a lot of weight on "sharp". You can sharpen anything, including an old leaf spring (and that is good steel). A duller axe is easier to ship. But high end makers do sharpen their stuff, part of the trip.
Agreed; I am more interested in how well it retains the sharpness. As to sharpening the old leaf spring, I can confirm this is indeed the case. Somewhere at home, we've got a knife that my grandfather confiscated from a P.O.W. when he was stationed in Africa. The guy had been intending to use it in an escape attempt and judging by the blade on it, it would have gone through your neck like butter. Ingeniously, the handle and sheath were fashioned from some scrap wood and the blade from a suspension spring that the inmate had managed to hammer flat and subsequently sharpen with a rock.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #502
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Agreed; I am more interested in how well it retains the sharpness. As to sharpening the old leaf spring, I can confirm this is indeed the case. Somewhere at home, we've got a knife that my grandfather confiscated from a P.O.W. when he was stationed in Africa. The guy had been intending to use it in an escape attempt and judging by the blade on it, it would have gone through your neck like butter. Ingeniously, the handle and sheath were fashioned from some scrap wood and the blade from a suspension spring that the inmate had managed to hammer flat and subsequently sharpen with a rock.
+1 on keeping the edge matters, BUT... having the manufacturer care enough to put the right grind on it matters. Or in G_B's case, hammer forge it to the correct shape to begin with!! Old-school blacksmiths.

I learned about the virtues of leaf springs from the old woodwright's shop TV show on public TV--his froe was a leaf spring, just reused the eye for the handle

I haven't broken a leafspring since I learned a use for them.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #503
JohnBoy777
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 886
Here's my vote - I carry two in my BugOut/ GoBag and think its absolutely the best bang for the buck. The blade is the perfect size (shape) for a survival knife and it's a fixed blade as well, which is what you want, and comes w/ a sharpening stone. Lastly the knife holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen - the same can't be said for tanto blades. Remember, in any survival situation, practical takes on a whole new meaning.

$40.00

LINK: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...=ON499#reviews

JohnBoy777 screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 09:46 AM
JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #504
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 395
Its all about personal preference.... what fits well and feels good in your hand. As long as the blade is the width of your hand, it should work well for you in almost all situations. Solid tang (no folders) with High Carbon steel makes a good all around bush knife. I carry a basic Mora knife for my all around knife ($10....) and a Becker BK7 for bigger jobs like splitting wood, etc.

And a big +1000 on the Gransfor Forest Axe...... you will pay more, but it the quality is well worth it
Otis357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #505
Cuff
no function beer well w/o

Oddometer: 687
Something to be said for trusting what you made yourself. If it breaks it's all on me. Two sizes, one for camp and one for hunting.

Top one is circular saw blade and the bottom one is from 440c chainsaw bar.

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3

Cuff screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 11:31 AM
Cuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #506
IRONIVAR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
manaro knife

no pic, but a manaro custom is the tops .
he also makes a sweet spork out of titanium
04 ktm 250 exc
08 polaris sportsman 550
01 honda xr 100 wifes
02 honda crf 50 with training wheels for joe b
08 KTM 50 son
08 polaris 50 (pink) daughter
1971 cb 450 cafe racer wannna b
IRONIVAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #507
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,725
Cruising goog, glad I found this...

Here's my pick...

http://www.coldsteel.com/trueflight.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09T43NFyelU

I see so many good qualities when I see this knife...

1st thing I'd do is re-wrap the handle though...

http://www.northcoastknives.com/nort...s_CordWrap.htm

If you'll look in that link, you'll see where the dude doing this is using two sections of two different sizes of cord.

So, right off I see cord storage in this knife...

I also see a spear, a skinning knife b/c the edges are rounded instead of just being at an angle, a machete, it's baton-able and the spine doesn't drop off to nothing inside the handle so it's harder to break...

Don't like the no handle? Make one

You can also throw it, it's High Carbon Steel... and if you havent seen Cold Steel's destructive testing yet, you need to

And it's CHEAP! About $20. For that price you can get two... They're thin, so it's easily packable to me...

Drill 2 more holes into it, take 3 pieces of threaded rod and nuts or wing nut and make a spear out of it... Get a sapling, saw a slit into it and bore the holes to match...

Spear, machete, hatchet?

It's my next blade...

The only minus is the sheath to me... No tang, and maybe a saw back...

Wonder if C/S can custom make that fer me?

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 06:08 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #508
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Who makes this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimotaBoy
This is my spliter,hammer,axe and knife!

P.S. If it got stolen I would CRY!
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #509
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
My favorite gear for a moto trip is a blade no more than 5" that can split wood (the Gerber), a gerber axe, and a small pocket knife stashed in my stich somewhere.

Recent addition, I've become an ESEE fan!!

This thing is a POS.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #510
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,725
Look at the rockwells on SOG's and Smith & Wesson's... Total junk...

Look where Smith & Wesson's are made...

They are total sellouts, not survival blades.

Look at a Cold Steel SRK or Recon Scout, if you want an inexpensive knife that is bad ass to the bone.

There's also the Ka-Bar heavy Bowie.

SRK's are around $80.

That cheap survival 440 crap, or something you can pick up at WalMart or Cabela's will get you killed.

Hell, my Gerber Gator is 650...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote