Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
mcfear OP
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,588
bloody fing expensive weekend.

soo, this has been a real good week.

monday, uncles funeral.
tuesday, clutch cable breaks on way home from funeral. turns out, theres none in australia. 3 week waiting time. find a fix kit.
weds. fix kit breaks after 20kms. wait 1.5 hrs for shops to open and find a cable from a suzuki that fits.
thursday, the little radiator hose that goes fromt he head to the carby falls off and drains the radiator.
friday, suspension on preload 5 feels too soft and is now like riding a pogo stick
saturday, take new DR650 for test ride and drop it. now have a $822 account at springwood suzuki. Also got a new rear tire fitted to KLR, 120 fitted.
sunday, have a bloody awesome ride with many ADV'ers and on the way home bin it at 80km/h on a dirt road. estimated cost for repairs, $925.

total cost for weekend. approx $1870 worth of damage to 2 different bikes in 2 days. bloody good week i have had.

and now for the story behind todays binning.

after the ride today that Gassit organised which was a bloody great ride, will ride with you anytime i can mate .

so yeh after the ride, myself and 4 others all on KTMS, 2 LC4's and 2LC8's and myself on my trusty KLR all headed off from urbanville to head back to beaudesert and then home.

we were roaring along this dirt road, the two LC8's in front of me, and the 2 LC4's behind, there was a nice corner that went to the right then about 50m down the road, it went to the left, so a nice lazy S if you will.

too bad that the road was gravel and i was doing about 80km/h. i came up to the corner with the back wheel slightly kicked out and as i got to the peak of it, i realised that it was sharper then i thought it was. the line i had picked was not going to get me around that corner no matter how hard i tried.

just after the real apex of the corner, not what i thought was the apex, i was still sliding a bit with the power on trying to change my line, and slid off the road, here i changed tactics from trying to get a better line, to staying on the friggen thing. i was going maybe 70 -75 by this stage, no longer sliding, but i was a bit to close for comfort to some farmers barbed wire fence. i straightened the bike out and went to pull back up onto the road and before i could get there, i went nosefirst into a bloody irrigation ditch and held it on the way down, and on the way up i tried to go on an angle to get onto the road, it sorta worked. i did a mini jump, which when i landed, since i was standing up, all the force went into the footpegs and stripped and bent the bolts holding the right footpeg in slightly so it was now loose. when i landed however, the back end seemed to washout cause i dont think i landed vertically.

i remember going down and thinking oh shit.. my helmet hit the ground, my bike slid for a while. once i stopped, i got up and picked the bike up. halfway through picking it up, the 2 LC4's came round the corner and pulled up and started asking questions. mainly if i was ok if i recall correctly but i think i was more worried about my bike.

that areas slightly hazy, my helmet now makes a buzzing noise like somethings are loose but i cant find anything.

the bikes handlebars are bent beyond repair so i need new bars, i retapped the footpeg mounts and put new bolts in, but will still replace them cause the threads were fairly buggered and i retapped to the same size.

myself seem to be fine, a bit stiff and sore and will no doubt be worse tomorrow but physically im fine. my riding gear though took a fair bit of damage. my helmet as said earlier theres something wrong with it now, my jacket seems to be fine, no scratches, rips or anything on it.

my riding pants are absolutely f*cked. split the kevlar fibre on my left leg from ankle to mid upper leg (is that the calf or thigh thigh i think). theres scratches on the right side on the back from the mid upper leg on the right side all the way around to the front, and up to the belt line. some are nearly all the way through the material. joe rocket make good products. would hate to think about what woulda happened had i been wearing jeans or something.

anywho. once everything is fixed, this weekends escapades will have totaled nearly 2 grand. woopee. i earn 300 dollars a week. this is gonna be a long drought.
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,054
McFear.. young grasshopper. You must ride a lot slower. I nearly had an almighty off today on a dirt corner. Again, i arrived at the corner going way too fast.

Fix your bike and slow down my friend.

It was a grouse day today. Gees those KTM guys go fast. Covered me in shit a few times as they sped past.

I am still getting used to that incredible hill.. man every time I touched the rear brakes the wheel locked. Was wishing I was in my Discovery with its Hill descent control.

Take care

The Snapper
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
mcfear OP
now known as many things

haha you mean that hill i passed you on whilst sideways. yeh i loved that hill wanted to do it again. haha i was holding my own with the KTM guys. till that corner anyway. was an awesome day out though. yeh good day bad week
Old 08-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
OneOff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfear
this is gonna be a long drought.
The fact that your gear suffered so much damage and you emerged virtually unscathed speaks volumes for the importance of good protective gear. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that the first thing you do is chuck that lid and replace it before you fix anything on the bike.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
mcfear OP
now known as many things

yeh i know. lids getting replaced ASAP. was able to fix the footpegs easy enough but the bars are gonna cost a bit.

so's my riding gear. gonna stitch up my pants till i can afford new ones. no choice
Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,806
Mcfear,

I know the feeling - I've had a $2500 week at the Jeep stealers (ahem... dealers) service department. Don't know why they think 'service' is right name!

Anyway I might be able to help lower your bill - I have stock handlebars from a 08KLR650 (MY2007) you can have cheap. Dont know if they'll fit your 05. PM me if your interested.

Shane
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,116
Well I didn't have such a bad weekend.

Looped the old 600 LC4 while wearing shorts and a tee shirt, and I bought a fish.

I'd get some pics of my leg but it has this plaster shit stuck to it...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #8
mcfear OP
now known as many things

haha righto. nice work. i just spun out. cant move my shoulder anymore though. was a bit stiff today after dropping the demo DR yesterday, and now after coming off my KLR i cant move it. its just gone stiff. it sucks.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
funguschops
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
in a couple of years they'll be great BBQ stories

chin up, could be worse, ya could have been working
funguschops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 AM   #10
mcfear OP
now known as many things

haha i ride to work daily, and i gotta ride the KLR there now. bars bent to the shithouse, if i go full lock to the left, my choke lever hits the tank, and the resevoir for the front brake hits the screen. couldnt get a position anywhere on there where it wouldnt hit. left side is bent backwards and right is bent forwards. theres about 2 inches difference between the sides.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #11
funguschops
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
alloy bars next time
funguschops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
Do you get the bent DR parts that you have had to replace?

OK OK Ill get back in my box now

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #13
mcfear OP
now known as many things

not yet. im gonna ask for them on mon or tues when i go in. if they wont give them to me, im just not gonna pay. im paying to replace them if they want to keep them, they can buy them off me.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #14
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV
Well I didn't have such a bad weekend.

Looped the old 600 LC4 while wearing shorts and a tee shirt, and I bought a fish.

I'd get some pics of my leg but it has this plaster shit stuck to it...
What sort of fish?

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #15
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfear
not yet. im gonna ask for them on mon or tues when i go in. if they wont give them to me, im just not gonna pay. im paying to replace them if they want to keep them, they can buy them off me.
Love your work. Thats what I would do too. If I am paying for it I bloody want it

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote